Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,519 members, 7,770,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:18 AM

Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing (28428 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa / Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by 24hoursreporter: 9:00am On Apr 12, 2019
Transition words are important in any write-up, whether it is a social media post, article or academic writing, Transition words are necessary.

To put it differently, Transition words are to writing what spices are to food. These words spice up any write-up and make it flows better.

They sew paragraphs together and connect one idea to another in a systematic manner.

If you learn the examples of transition words outlined in this article, your writing will always be coherent. This is because you will master the art of weaving sentences together systematically.

Generally, the purpose of transition words is to help your audience to progress from one idea to the next. This will definitely help to create a coherent relationship in your write up.

A perfect understanding of transition words will help to present your thoughts in a clear and understandable manner.

Examples Of Transition Words In Sentence

To better understand the concept of transition words, check out the examples of transition words in the following sentences.

In the examples, we provided two pair of sentences – one with transition words and the other one without transition words.

Jaime had a sleepless night before her final exams. She took a cup of coffee before going to school.

Jaime had a sleepless night before her final exams. Therefore, she took a cup of coffee before going to school.

There are different types of transition words. Some express agreement, similarity, opposition, purpose etc.

Opposition/Contradiction/Limitation

These categories of transition words express opposition, contradiction, and limitation. Some of the examples are;

Of course…, but

After all,

In reality,

Above all,

After all,

Then again,

In Spite of

Even so/ though

In contrast,

Different from

On the other hand

Be that as it may

On the other hand

At the same time

Although this may be true

Regardless

Instead

Whereas

Although

Conversely

Despite

Notwithstanding

Agreement / Addition / Similarity

As well as

To

Not only but also

In the first place

Again

Moreover

Together with

And

Cause / Condition/ Purpose

Because of

Due to

To the end that

In the event that

If

In case

Provided that

Then

So long as

Given that

Unless

On the condition that

Even if

For the purpose of

So that

When

So as to

Whenever

With this in mind

Owing to

While

In the hope that

In as much as

Because of

For fear that

Conclusion/ Summary / Restatement

By and large

Afterall

Generally speaking

To sum up

In fact

As can be seen

All things considered

In the long run

As has been noted

Given these points

As shown above

For the most point

In the final analysis

In brief

In conclusion

In summary

In brief

In essence

To summarize

All together

Over all

Ordinarily

Usually

On balance

To sum up

On the whole

In any event

All in all

In either case

Obviously

Definitely

Ultimately

Time / Chronology / Sequence

In the meantime

In a moment

Sooner or later

At the present time

From time to time

To begin with

In due time

Up to the present time

As soon as

As long as

In the first place

Without delay

At this instant

All of a sudden

After

Later

Last

Until

Till

Since

Then

Before

Hence

Whence

When

Once

About

Next

Now

Whenever

Henceforth

Eventually

Meanwhile

Further

During

In time

Forthwith

Right away

Space / Location / Place

To the left/right of

In front of

In the middle of

In the distance

On this side

Here and there

In the foreground

In the background

In the center of

Here

Next

There

Where

From

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2019/04/08/examples-of-transition-words/

110 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by 24hoursreporter: 9:01am On Apr 12, 2019
Read also: West African Countries: See The 16 Countries In West Africa ===> http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2019/04/12/west-african-countries/

5 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Harrymig1(m): 9:27am On Apr 12, 2019
Educative. Thank You

5 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by TechCapon(m): 12:41pm On Apr 12, 2019
My favourite transition word when writing is "however"

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Danielmegg(m): 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2019
wow i Love dat

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by kaen1317: 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2019
INCONCLUSIVE

7 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by kingphilip(m): 12:43pm On Apr 12, 2019
'After all' it's so important it had to appear more than once

'on the other hand' is too important it appeared more than once too

5 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by legwa10(m): 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2019
u were well groomed by your institution and u as well allowed yourself to be remoulded...

16 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by kcay: 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2019
See as comment section dry. Nairalanders no like book at all. Olodo people grin

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2019
24hoursreporter:
Never underestimate the power of transition words in sentences.... They are awesome in linking your idea systematically.

it's been a while.

3 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by biggerboyc(m): 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2019
Ok
Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2019
kcay:

lol

9 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Expensive2000(m): 12:47pm On Apr 12, 2019
*ASK A NIGERIAN POLITICIAN WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT THIS HOT WEATHER CONDITION* *Journalist*: what are your thoughts on this heat Nigerians are complaining about and what is the government doing about it: RESPONSES: *LAI MOHAMMED*: this is the result of PDP’s misrule, they stole the ozone layer. *FEMI ADESINA*: Mr. President promised us change and that includes change in temperature. CHANGE IS HERE, EMBRACE IT. *AKINWUMI AMBODE*: We have signed a $10million deal with LG to install air conditioners across the Lagos skyline. *IBE KACHUKWU*: I assure you the heat will disappear by 2pm 29th May. *BUKOLA SARAKl*: Tinubu wanted the heat to be more than this but i opposed him, out of my love for Nigeria and that is why they are witch-hunting me. *GOODLUCK JONATHAN*: This heat was not this bad when I left office/ power but Nigerians did not appreciate me. *ADAMS OSHIMOLE*: Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala stole the N100 billion meant for temperature control Research. *NASIR ELRUFAI*: We are in talks with General Electric to see how they can generate power for Kaduna from the heat. *RAUF AREGBESOLA*: I have just approved payment of January salary so that Osun workers can buy hand fan. *ALIKO DANGOTE*: Next week, we are commissioning the Dangote Fan Factory; by 2030 Australia will be buying fans from us. *BEN MURRAY-BRUCE: *tweets* when Naira is weak and inflation is high automatically there will be heat. This is common sense. *NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA*: Under the last administration there was no political will to address climatic change: *PRESIDENT BUHARI: From USA* ... this heat is kwarupt because Nigeria is kwarupt and I will fight every form of kwaruption involved and responsible for this heat and every kwarupt heat will go to jail. **

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by zuzuonyi: 12:47pm On Apr 12, 2019
Nice one, OP. This is good for a proper flow of the English language and would be most beneficial to those who want to take English language proficiency tests.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by neyur: 12:47pm On Apr 12, 2019
kcay:

does wizkid or davido knows what transitional words?.

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Babanlagenius: 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2019
Op if you want to study GRE please do it alone and don’t turn us to students in the name of trying to memorize it. grin

Na joke I dey. In reality I just learnt something. grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by KingLennon(m): 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2019
kcay:
Dem dey wait for Regina Daniels slaying in a private jet and Bobrisky in a swimsuit pics grin

15 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by don4real18(m): 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2019
What is the name of that transition ólópa grin

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Resurgent2016: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2019
Very educative. Though, I am not surprise nairalanders are avoiding this thread, it is not about Tonto Dike or some other mundane stuff.

12 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Anonymous4: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2019
Front page and the comment section is this dry.. not our problem though but most of us no understand

3 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by kennybelle: 12:50pm On Apr 12, 2019
I love this! Archiving straightaway! cheesy

Thanks Op

2 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Nairalandmentor(m): 12:50pm On Apr 12, 2019
kiss beautiful
Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by iamleumas: 12:51pm On Apr 12, 2019
Thanks and God bless!

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by sgdr5: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2019
reer

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by brandmaster: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2019
This is one of the reasons why I love yoast SEO , out has greatly improved my writing skills, especially for technical writers like me where my average content is usually 1500 words

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Danielmegg(m): 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2019
kcay:
People no wan read book

4 Likes

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2019
Nice one,bro.

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by Bbbwings: 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2019
M
Re: Examples Of Transition Words That Will Spice Up Your Writing by hinograce: 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2019
Excellent! This will also help in speaking too

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Contributions Of Philosophy To National Development / Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School Lagos 88' Set Celebrates Reunion In Uniform / 16 Things Every Nigerian Who Was A Prefect In Secondary School Will Remember

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.