Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,132 members, 7,821,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. (3193 Views)

Free Growing Guideline For Tomato, Cucumber, Pepper And Watermelon / Staking Of Cucumber And Other Plants / The Machinery "Big John" Used For Planting Trees In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 11:58am On Apr 12, 2019
Good day Nairalanders.
Shout out to all the big guys in the game who inspired me go into agriculture. I've been an active guest since 2015 and this platform has been very helpful.
So, Recently one of our clients acquired some plotsof land beside a river for vegetable farming ( cucumber and watermelon), a very infertile land, deficient in micro nutrients and has a lot of termite hills. I layer realised he had planted 150g of darina seeds and only 100 germinated �, lol, he was like, when i came to farm the next day, my empty seeds were everywhere like I hosted a party for termites, �.
So I had to run a pilot project on how we could solve
1. Repair the soil ( manure is very scarce in my area)
2. Solve the termite issue.
3. Minimise weed disturbance
4. Make good use of available nutrients
5. Increase the population of watermelon per plot and most importantly
6. beat down COST.

I contacted a friend who advised me to use polybag (met him on this forum)

started the project on the 24th of March, with 1000 poly bags and planted the cucumber on 27th March and will be planting the watermelon today after certifying the cucumber growth.

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 12:05pm On Apr 12, 2019
I planted 700 cucumber plants and 586 germinated. surprisingly I haven't added manure nor NPK and I've sprayed pesticides, fungicide, stress reliever (due to. the heat) and foliar fertilizer onceo

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by somessi: 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2019
Nice one. The sack bag farming is doing pretty good. Kudos bro! Please what's the variety of your cucumber? And secondly, how old are the cucumbers from the day of planting? Thanks.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Functionoftime(m): 8:38pm On Apr 12, 2019
GilEstel:
I planted 700 cucumber plants and 586 germinated. surprisingly I haven't added manure nor NPK and I've sprayed pesticides, fungicide, stress reliever (due to. the heat) and foliar fertilizer onceo
It's always advisable to add manure as basal before planting cucumber. Maybe more would have germinated if you added manure before planting. All the best
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Liadi2(m): 9:13pm On Apr 12, 2019
Please how much did you get the pipe and how did u intend to supply water
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 10:29am On Apr 14, 2019
Functionoftime:

It's always advisable to add manure as basal before planting cucumber. Maybe more would have germinated if you added manure before planting. All the best
I divided the bags in three sections. in the first section, I added more of manure, in the second section I added little manure and the last section was decomposed manure.
I noticed the decomposed manure did better.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 10:31am On Apr 14, 2019
somessi:
Nice one. The sack bag farming is doing pretty good. Kudos bro! Please what's the variety of your cucumber? And secondly, how old are the cucumbers from the day of planting? Thanks.

I planted Cu999 and I planted on 27th of March

1 Like

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 10:31am On Apr 14, 2019
Liadi2:

I'm using driptape.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 1:09pm On Apr 14, 2019
The growth rate of the cukes is astonishing. pics at 18days.

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 1:10pm On Apr 14, 2019
Liadi2:

I got 500m roll at 25k.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 14, 2019
Pls where is ur farm located? How much did u buy the cu999 cucumber seeds, I'm interested in planting in polybags.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 2:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
decoolseun:
Pls where is ur farm located? How much did u buy the cu999 cucumber seeds, I'm interested in planting in polybags.
I'm in Benin... I bought the seeds at 8k plus waybill of 2k from a friend. I can guide you from start to finish.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 14, 2019
GilEstel:

I'm in Benin... I bought the seeds at 8k plus waybill of 2k from a friend. I can guide you from start to finish.
Okay, thanks.i'm in ogun state... Like to know how it goes, keep updating us. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by okoroemeka(m): 3:00pm On Apr 14, 2019
GilEstel:

I got 500m roll at 25k.
how many water emitting points did you have with 500 mtres rolls of drip,I did a rough calculation of converting metre to cm and dividing by 30cm spacing=1,666 emitters, check if am correct
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 14, 2019
GilEstel:

Pls how many pieces of seeds is it for 8k?
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 9:54pm On Apr 14, 2019
okoroemeka:
how many water emitting points did you have with 500 mtres rolls of drip,I did a rough calculation of converting metre to cm and dividing by 30cm spacing=1,666 emitters, check if am correct

you're correct
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 9:55pm On Apr 14, 2019
decoolseun:

Pls how many pieces of seeds is it for 8k?
Approximately 1750seeds
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 14, 2019
GilEstel:

Approximately 1750seeds

Okay, thanks.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Mrkellz: 4:57am On Apr 15, 2019
Wow... 500m?
It's looking good. Pls where did u get the pipe? I'm in benin
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by okoroemeka(m): 7:12am On Apr 15, 2019
As my seeing this poly bag system,it's a classic case of if mountain don't come to Muhammad, Muhammad will go to the mountain,the issue of crop rotation, clearing of thick virgin Forrest looking for fertile soil,issue with poor soils,poor yield due to insufficient irrigation,etc,all will be redundant by this poly bag,u can have your farm in the comfort of your backyard and bring in fertile soil from any location, necessity really is the mother of inventions.

3 Likes

Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 15, 2019
GilEstel:

I got 500m croll at 25k.
Do you mean you bought the drip tape for 25k ?
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 15, 2019
This is interesting but is the polythene not too small for the cukes root?
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 12:08pm On Apr 15, 2019
olakunleben16:
This is interesting but is the polythene not too small for the cukes root?

cucumber and watermelon has shallow or short root. The root will not be affected
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 12:09pm On Apr 15, 2019
Mrkellz:
Wow... 500m? It's looking good. Pls where did u get the pipe? I'm in benin
I sell driptapes and kits, I also do installation. 08051005618 let's talk.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2019
okoroemeka:
As my seeing this poly bag system,it's a classic case of if mountain don't come to Muhammad, Muhammad will go to the mountain,the issue of crop rotation, clearing of thick virgin Forrest looking for fertile soil,issue with poor soils,poor yield due to insufficient irrigation,etc,all will be redundant by this poly bag,u can have your farm in the comfort of your backyard and bring in fertile soil from any location, necessity really is the mother of inventions.

Boss you said it all and the polythene has different dimensions for different crops. it's saves nutrients and water effective
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 12:12pm On Apr 15, 2019
olakunleben16:

Do you mean you bought the drip tape for 25k ?

Yeah, apart from connectors and waybill. I install drip tapes so I installed it myself
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
GilEstel:

Yeah, apart from connectors and waybill. I install drip tapes so I installed it myself
That's interesting, so how are the cukes doing?
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Functionoftime(m): 7:27am On Apr 17, 2019
GilEstel:

Boss you said it all and the polythene has different dimensions for different crops. it's saves nutrients and water effective
Hope there are holes underneath to drain excess water after heavy downpour
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by GilEstel: 4:13pm On Apr 17, 2019
Functionoftime:

Hope there are holes underneath to drain excess water after heavy downpour

if it is waterlogged, it will stunt their growth
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 22, 2019
GilEstel:

Approximately 1750 useeds

Do u know there branch here in ogun state?, I need 200 pieces of the cu999 seeds.
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by austinomd(m): 12:24pm On Apr 26, 2019
please who knows where i can get sacs at a cheaper rate in Lagos for cucumber farming?
Re: Planting Cucumber And Watermelon On Poly Bags. -trial With Pictures. by austinomd(m): 12:27pm On Apr 26, 2019
GilEstel:

Nice job OP, i don't see any sign of staking here, do you plan staking later or you don't want to?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Standard Palm Kernel Oil (PKO) & Palm Kernel Cake Available For Pick up! / Extruded Fish Feed Production (business Plan) / 10 Dumbest Animals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.