Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations (21792 Views)

Lagos Electric BRT Buses Begin Operations / LASG Rolls Out 65 Buses...to Inject 550 Buses For Feeder Routes (photos) / New Lagos BRT Buses Begin Operations At The New Oshodi Bus Terminus - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 7:51pm On Apr 12, 2019
Visionless leaders, Buses is not what the already over congested Lagos read needs.. They should use their heads.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Afamed: 8:22pm On Apr 12, 2019
Offpoint:
Visionless leaders, Buses is not what the already over congested Lagos read needs.. They should use their heads.
Your criticism would have been constructive enough if you have come up with better ways of handling the project.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by PeachtreeReside(f): 8:24pm On Apr 12, 2019
Alternative means of transportation is important ....

And please remove those BRT dividers and Lekki tollgates. It doesn't aid free flow of vehicles .
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by foreshore(m): 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2019
BrandSpurNG:
The Lagos State Government is set to present 820 medium and high capacity buses under its public transportation Bus Reform Initiative to meet the yearnings of its citizenry.

The State Commissioner for Transportation, Mr Ladi Lawanson, who disclosed this today at the Secretariat, Alausa, noted that the deployment of the new buses will address the inadequacies of the present unreliable transportation system in Lagos metropolis.

According to him, the State Government designed the Bus Reform Project to correct the many challenges inherent in the present system, through the replacement of yellow mini-buses with air-conditioned vehicles of the uniform specification, predictable bus schedules, and routes supported by appropriate infrastructure.

Explaining further, Lawanson said 75 of the 100 bus shelters earmarked for the first phase of the Bus Reform project have been completed to support the operations of the buses.

Allaying fears that the existing transport unions members will be sent into the labour market, Lawanson stated that 800 of the buses will be released to private operators through the operating lease model which has incorporated the current road transport operators – National Union of Road Transport Workers, (NURTW) and the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) – as part of the Bus Operating Companies.

While congratulating Lagosians for being part of the laudable project aimed at ensuring a better life for all, Lawanson urged citizens to take ownership of the project by guiding against misuse and vandalization when the buses commence operations.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/04/12/lagos-medium-and-high-capacity-buses-to-begin-operations/

We have been hearing that since last year
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Grundig: 8:34pm On Apr 12, 2019
Ambode has decided that sanwo-olu won't be taking any glory for his efforts. Having said that, currently, Lagos roads are a hot mess. These buses won't last.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 8:34pm On Apr 12, 2019
Afamed:

Your criticism would have been constructive enough if you have come up with better ways of handling the project.
What difference will it make? I'm not in the government.

I've made good suggestions or ideas times without numbers, it's useless making any again since I'm not directly speaking to them.

What Lagos needs right now is light rail system, not buses.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Mydazz(m): 8:45pm On Apr 12, 2019
This is only going to work till May 29, if it works at all,...... you can't take chops off Jagaban boys just like that.
So giving buses to private operators on a lease is what will put food on the touts and agbero's table, even with the number of yellow buses in Lagos, you still see touts in hundreds at major parks who are not working that day for one reason or the other.
Ambode still hasn't learn shit about politics in 4 years.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by chrisblack: 11:03pm On Apr 12, 2019
Offpoint:
even is bigger cities accross the world hey use Buses.Some of you are just negative in nature.you talk as if every route in you mud villages have bicycle or tarred roads.or you think even New York or London no get buses.Them for build rail to your backyard. Never see or appreciate good things

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by nextstep(m): 11:18pm On Apr 12, 2019
ifymadu:
Good move, I hope there is a maintenance plan in place to ensure the buses are properly managed. It will be disappointing and a waste of taxpayers money if these buses are withdrawn from the roads after a year due to poor maintenance and recklessness on the part of drivers.

You and I know there's not a maintenance plan in place... even if there were, those who are supposed to maintain will "borrow the funds", somehow equipment will disappear, and the next administration release contract to buy new buses in late 2022, just in time for 2023 elections... etc.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 11:36pm On Apr 12, 2019
chrisblack:
even is bigger cities accross the world hey use Buses.Some of you are just negative in nature.you talk as if every route in you mud villages have bicycle or tarred roads.or you think even New York or London no get buses.Them for build rail to your backyard. Never see or appreciate good things
See how dumb and incoherent your comment is... go back and read my comment: this time slowly.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Babysho(m): 12:00am On Apr 13, 2019
LogicStatement:
Lagos roads are too congested already resulting in traffic and waste of man hours. Introducing new buses to add to the existing traffic gridlock is compounding the problem we are yet to solve. A simple solution to ease traffic in Lagos roads and move mass number of people easily and comfortably is to construct a fast light rail system connecting major points in the city. The rail should connect Ikorodu to the Island, Island to Epe, Badagry to Oshodi. This is long overdue.

Lol this thing wey you talk. Person papa talk am when e just marry. Now e don get grey hair.

Na slow minded dimwits dey incharge walai. Nigeria is just going forth and back. Such archaic developments. Nairobi has a high speed train and the population is slightly above three million. It's unbelievable that there's not a single train in Lagos. A city inhabited by eighteen million people! Eighteen million!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Toseenlove: 12:12am On Apr 13, 2019
See reason why Lagos will and never be Mega City as far as her population keeps skyrocketing!!! This was 2012.....I'm very sure the Population will be around 25Million+ Imagine Ordinary state, A very small Area with a Mammoth Population filled with mostly extremely filthy dirty disgusting beings Spiits. Meanwhile there are so many Countries with a land size of about 50,000km2 and their population Isn't even up to 5Million. Now I see reason why everything Is extremely tough In this filled up State.

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Toseenlove: 12:24am On Apr 13, 2019
Offpoint:

What difference will it make? I'm not in the government.

I've made good suggestions or ideas times without numbers, it's useless making any again since I'm not directly speaking to them.

What Lagos needs right now is light rail system, not buses.

Stop replying him.....He Is part of those shameless visionless analogue brain old fools sitting at the corridor of power. Most of them has nothing upstairs. Even a very large percentage of the citizens are not an exemption too spitss.

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:28am On Apr 13, 2019
ifymadu:
Good move, I hope there is a maintenance plan in place to ensure the buses are properly managed. It will be disappointing and a waste of taxpayers money if these buses are withdrawn from the roads after a year due to poor maintenance and recklessness on the part of drivers.

There are three fully-equipped maintenance depots at Yaba, Oshodi and Ibeju-Lekki (the latter will eventually become the assembly plant for future batches of these buses).
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:33am On Apr 13, 2019
springtech:
Maintenance !
Management !!
Sustainability !!!

Are key
agarawu23:
thats what they should work on. Not just wasting billions on buses that they will scrap after 1 year

There are three fully-equipped maintenance depots at Yaba, Oshodi and Ibeju-Lekki (the latter will eventually become the assembly plant for future batches of these buses). One the reasons that these buses have not been deployed since they arrived is that drivers and conductors are being trained/re-trained, as well as artisanal mechanics and technicians. Management will be by private operators regulated by LAMATA.

Meanwhile, the buses will run primarily on CNG and thus will be more environmentally-friendly.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:40am On Apr 13, 2019
Toseenlove:
See reason why Lagos will and never be Mega City as far as her population keeps skyrocketing!!! This was 2012.....I'm very sure the Population will be around 25Million+ Imagine Ordinary state, A very small Area with a Mammoth Population filled with mostly extremely filthy dirty disgusting beings Spiits. Meanwhile there are so many Countries with a land size of about 50,000+sqm and their population Isn't even up to 5Million. Now I see reason why everything Is extremely tough In this filled up State.

If governments plan well, Lagos can overflow into Ogun State and become a huge economic conurbation. Already, many manufacturing plants are located in Ogun State (primarily in Agbara and Otta) while enjoying the advantage of the huge (and relatively prosperous) Lagos market. What is really needed is to put the necessary infrastructure in place (already the new standard gauge rail line is coming on stream). In fact, with better rail and road connections, people can live in the cheaper Ogun State and commute to work in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:43am On Apr 13, 2019
nextstep:
You and I know there's not a maintenance plan in place... even if there were, those who are supposed to maintain will "borrow the funds", somehow equipment will disappear, and the next administration release contract to buy new buses in late 2022, just in time for 2023 elections... etc.

There are three fully-equipped maintenance depots at Yaba, Oshodi and Ibeju-Lekki (the latter will eventually become the assembly plant for future batches of these buses). One the reasons that these buses have not been deployed since they arrived is that drivers and conductors are being trained/re-trained, as well as artisanal mechanics and technicians.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:46am On Apr 13, 2019
LogicStatement:
Lagos roads are too congested already resulting in traffic and waste of man hours. Introducing new buses to add to the existing traffic gridlock is compounding the problem we are yet to solve. A simple solution to ease traffic in Lagos roads and move mass number of people easily and comfortably is to construct a fast light rail system connecting major points in the city. The rail should connect Ikorodu to the Island, Island to Epe, Badagry to Oshodi. This is long overdue.
Offpoint:

While the optimal mass transit system for huge cities are rail systems, but even then buses have an important role to play...
Meanwhile, in Lagos, until the Blue and Red lines (and any other future rail lines) are completed improving bus transportation is vital.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by 9jaRealist: 1:58am On Apr 13, 2019
gagzee:
I just weak when I got to that NURTW part of the article...
Same bunch of rascals embarassed angry

NURTW will not be operating these buses.

Nonetheless, the state would still need their buy-in/cooperation (unless it wants to see a repeat of the massive sabotage of the Cleaner Lagos Initiative and Visionscape by the politically-connected PSPs). Accordingly, one of the reasons that these buses have not been deplored since their arrival is that NURTW-member drivers/conductors (who will be uniformed with visible IDs) are being trained/retrained to work in the private companies that will operate these buses. It may not be optimal, but hopefully it’s a pragmatic solution that will work.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by ifymadu: 6:14am On Apr 13, 2019
9jaRealist:

There are three fully-equipped maintenance depots at Yaba, Oshodi and Ibeju-Lekki (the latter will eventually become the assembly plant for future batches of these buses).

This is a big relief then, we always have good plans but seeing them through has always been the big issue.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by agarawu23(m): 6:29am On Apr 13, 2019
9jaRealist:

There are three fully-equipped maintenance depots at Yaba, Oshodi and Ibeju-Lekki (the latter will eventually become the assembly plant for future batches of these buses). One the reasons that these buses have not been deployed since they arrived is that drivers and conductors are being trained/re-trained, as well as artisanal mechanics and technicians. Management will be by private operators regulated by LAMATA.

Meanwhile, the buses will run primarily on CNG and thus will be more environmentally-friendly.

I pray it happened so cos we lack maintenance in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 6:44am On Apr 13, 2019
9jaRealist:

While the optimal mass transit system for huge cities are rail systems, but even then buses have an important role to play...
Meanwhile, in Lagos, until the Blue and Red lines (and any other future rail lines) are completed improving bus transportation is vital.
I'm not against buses, I'm against their visionlessness. Ten years to now they'll still be chunking buses out, instead of them to go back to the drawing board and do their homeworks they'll always want the easiest way out.

It hurts me these guys spend their holidays in the western world, but fall blind to all the good things they see there.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by farem: 7:05am On Apr 13, 2019
ednut1:
Come back in 2021 and see how those buses woukd look. Bad road everywhere how would they last

Don't sit down in your cave and start comparing everywhere in Nigeria with your state. No sane Lagosians or frequently visiting person will appreciate what you wrote above.
Have heard brt lanes accross the world?
Have you seen the current buses being used? They are older than two years and any wear and tear is what can happen to heavily used vehicle accross the world.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by springtech(m): 7:56am On Apr 13, 2019
9jaRealist:

Good to know then.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by chrisblack: 10:04am On Apr 13, 2019
Offpoint:

See how dumb and incoherent your comment is... go back and read my comment: this time slowly.
YOU are stupid .I read your comment.its the same just like your moniker OFFPOINT.silly
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 10:09am On Apr 13, 2019
chrisblack:
YOU are stupid .I read your comment.its the same just like your moniker OFFPOINT.silly
See how dumb you still sound, I'll advice you lend out your phone to your younger ones until your IQ is upgraded. They're smarter than you.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by chrisblack: 10:10am On Apr 13, 2019
Offpoint:

I'm not against buses, I'm against their visionlessness. Ten years to now they'll still be chunking buses out, instead of them to go back to the drawing board and do their homeworks they'll always want the easiest way out.

It hurts me these guys spend their holidays in the western world, but fall blind to all the good things they see there.
you are just offpoint as usual.you talk as if there are no bus transit systems in the develop world.
We you know your type: HATER
Read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_rapid_transit_systems
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 10:16am On Apr 13, 2019
chrisblack:
you are just offpoint as usual.you talk as if there are no bus transit systems in the develop world.
We you know your type: HATER
Read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_rapid_transit_systems
You go school so? even if you no go school you supposed get natural sense. In the developed world you're talking about, I think na only bus be their means of transportation?
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by chrisblack: 10:22am On Apr 13, 2019
Offpoint:

See how dumb you still sound, I'll advice you lend out your phone to your younger ones until your IQ is upgraded. They're smarter than you.
Always offPoint .Your types are the problem we have in Sub-Saharan Africa.leaving the most effective and immediate solution ,while going after elephant/hippopotamus projects they know they dont have the political or financial ability to complete.
800 buses would go along way Lagos.while we wait for the Blue rail and others.
Your mumu don suppose do now
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by Offpoint: 10:26am On Apr 13, 2019
chrisblack:
Always offPoint .Your types are the problem we have in Sub-Saharan Africa.leaving the most effective and immediate solution ,while going after elephant/hippopotamus projects they know they dont have the political or financial ability to complete.
800 buses would go along way Lagos.while we wait for the Blue rail and others.
Your mumu don suppose do now
Each time I reply your comment I lost an IQ... good day sir.
Re: Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations by chrisblack: 10:27am On Apr 13, 2019
Offpoint:

You go school so? even if you no go school you supposed get natural sense. In the developed world you're talking about, I think na only bus be their means of transportation?
Buses are not the only means of transportation any where in the world.but in lagos injecting 800 is something commendable.we should wait till the blue line works before we have something else?
Do you even understand Lagos.Have even seen the transportation Master plan.You just say what your small brain tells you all because you can afford data from the small change you got from the message your Oga sent you. you feel you have the intellect to come and discuss what is far above your pay grade.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Arrested By Indian Police, With Her 2 Children, Cries Out (video) / Coca-Cola Truck Kills Schoolgirl In Anambra (Graphic Photos) / USA Visa: Nigerian Investors, Others To Pay More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.