Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila (17468 Views)

Rt. Hon. Muktar Betara Aliyu Set To Officially Declare House Speakership Bid / House Speakership: North-East APC Aligns With South-East, Adopts Onyejeocha / House Speakership Dogara Rallies PDP, APC Reps To Stage Surprise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by dre11(m): 5:55am On Apr 14, 2019
......I’m not aware, says Nabena

.......North Central caucus insists on producing presiding officer; Dogara’s men, PDP weigh options

Palpable tension appears to have enveloped the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) as the North Central caucus of the party insists on producing the Speaker of the 9th House of Representatives.

The zonal position of the party, ostensibly backed by five serving governors on the platform of the party may be made public soon baring any last minute change in plans.

According to Sunday Telegraph sources, four of the governors are from the North Central zone while the fifth is from the South West.

If unresolved, the implication of this development means that the current leader of the House and frontline aspirant for the Speakership, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila’s chances may be affected in what a competent source described as proxy battle against him.

Curiously, the defiant move by the governors and the North Central caucus of the APC is coming amid plans by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP to work against any anointed candidate of the APC leadership.

According to a member of the APC National Working Committee, who pleaded anonymity, the plot of the five governors had leaked to the leadership of the party and that informed the reason the party’s spokesman, Lanre Issa-Onilu clarified that the position of the National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole on the zoning of the Speakership was just a guide and not the final position of the party.

“Right now, we are battling with quite a few challenging moments, even though they are not unusual in politics. We are very careful not to drag Mr President into this matter and at the same time, we are not unmindful of the possible backlash a hasty decision could incur.

“For instance, even though it was agreed in principle that Gbaja should be Speaker, the manner in which our National Chairman let the cat out of the bag has generated some sustained but contained tension. I can tell you that five of our governors are not on same page with us, and not until such issues are sorted out, we may be ambushed by the opposition PDP.

“Last week, the North Central caucus was to issue a statement insisting on the position of Speaker but some of us had to plead with them to allow us do some internal subtle diplomacy which have been on since.

“Even though that action is put on hold, it is still very much alive and with support from the proxy battle from the governors for such my move, we can’t feign ignorance and rock the boat,” he said on telephone.

He disclosed that a discrete committee has been set up to liaise with the identified governors for the position of speaker to be given to Gbajabiamila. This is even as he said the pro-Yakubu Dogara group in the 9th House has mapped a strategic plan to ambush the APC’s anointed candidate for the position.

One of the options, according to him, was that a PDP lawmaker from the North Central may be nominated if more than two APC Reps clearly go into the race for the Speakership. Another is for them (PDP) to vote en bloc for anybody other than Gbajabiamila.
But Deputy Spokesman of APC, Yekini Nabena, when contacted, refused to comment on it, stating that he would only speak when it is brought to his knowledge.

He added, however, that everyone is free to take a position on the matter

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/04/house-speakership-tension-in-apc-as-5-govs-move-against-gbajabiamila/
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by alonzoiv(m): 5:58am On Apr 14, 2019
Pls click like if you're already tired of APC and it's internal disunity, and share, if you think PDP will produce a new Speaker.

50 Likes 43 Shares

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by alonzoiv(m): 6:01am On Apr 14, 2019
APC of confusion

5 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 14, 2019
cool

Why can't INEC conduct election for the House of Representatives? Yakubu Mamood is the best man for the installation of an unwanted candidate.

I will sign an Executive order for INEC to conduct election for every sector of this country including schools and churches.

~ProsidentBuhari

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Colonelswitz101(m): 6:30am On Apr 14, 2019
Selfish bastards, only concerned abt thier pockets and leaving the masses whom they were elected to represent to thier own fate. Just like that innocent girl and her boyfriend that were shot yesterday, the bastard representative of that constituency will never care to bring such matter up for discussion n subsequent actions, his only concern at this moment will be lobbying for one juicy committee to be made it's chairman. It is high time we stop behaving like cowards and start lynching these politicians and some these trigger happy uniform men, they are the two major challenges of this country as at now....
Nigeria is indeed worse than a zoo...

4 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Realist5: 6:32am On Apr 14, 2019
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by clefstone(m): 6:34am On Apr 14, 2019
Gbajabantist isn't going to become speaker. 2015 will repeat itself, Tinubu's men will be sidelined just to checkmate the power of their principal

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by aishapmbtoto: 6:36am On Apr 14, 2019
Tinubu in panic mood. You want to impose your puppet on the nation and expect to have an easy ride. E no go work

5 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Derbiy(f): 6:36am On Apr 14, 2019
hmmm

1 Like

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Derbiy(f): 6:37am On Apr 14, 2019
a worse scenario than that of Saraki will happen this time around for both the senate president and speaker. APC are really unorganized.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Sakobaba(m): 6:37am On Apr 14, 2019
APC and their wahala
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by dfrost: 6:37am On Apr 14, 2019
Bunch of selfish people. Only interested in their pockets. Follow and believe poli-tricksters at your detriment.
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by babyfaceafrica: 6:38am On Apr 14, 2019
how is that our business...nansense news
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by fasho01(m): 6:38am On Apr 14, 2019
Though I'm not a fan of gbaja because ever since he has been representing me in the lower chamber, his impact hasn't been felt in our immediate environment. However, I'd like him to win this speakership tussle so he can go and rest, and we can see an end to his posters.

His only undoing right now is that he's Tinubu's stooge which I know is the main reason for the stiff opposition he's getting so far

2 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by aolawale025: 6:41am On Apr 14, 2019
Let the Reps freely choose their leadership
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by lomprico(m): 6:42am On Apr 14, 2019
Who cares?
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Larryfest(m): 6:44am On Apr 14, 2019
APC .....A Party of Confusions.
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by ofiko123(m): 6:47am On Apr 14, 2019
We wait as events unfold in coming months..
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Amumaigwe: 6:49am On Apr 14, 2019
Colonelswitz101:
Selfish bastards, only concerned abt thier pockets and leaving the masses whom they were elected to represent to thier own fate. Take a example of that innocent girl and her boyfriend that were shot yesterday, the bastard representative of that constituency will never care to bring such matter up for discussion n subsequent actions, his only concern at this moment will be lobbying for one juicy committee to be made it's chairman. It is high time we stop behaving like cowards and start lynching these politicians and some these trigger happy uniform men, they are the two major challenges of this country as at now....

When the table starts turning against Lord Jagagban, Yorubas start speaking like nationalists. This is still early morning in the political clock. By dawn, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth everywhere.

11 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Sterope(f): 6:56am On Apr 14, 2019
Obviously
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Quidquopro: 7:10am On Apr 14, 2019
Pigiyyyeaasterners, come and celebrate... grin

2 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by akpesue2685(m): 7:14am On Apr 14, 2019
Colonelswitz101:
Selfish bastards, only concerned abt thier pockets and leaving the masses whom they were elected to represent to thier own fate. Take a example of that innocent girl and her boyfriend that were shot yesterday, the bastard representative of that constituency will never care to bring such matter up for discussion n subsequent actions, his only concern at this moment will be lobbying for one juicy committee to be made it's chairman. It is high time we stop behaving like cowards and start lynching these politicians and some these trigger happy uniform men, they are the two major challenges of this country as at now....

1 Like

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by ckmayoca: 7:34am On Apr 14, 2019
na wa o. must all of them even come from lagos? v.p -lagos, speaker - pushing for lagos, DSP- pushing for lagos, works power and housing- pushing for lagos. ..... other south west state no get sense?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by bestman09(m): 7:45am On Apr 14, 2019
Anything that will stop imposing stooges as leaders of the National Assembly is welcome

6 Likes

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by kunmiiii: 7:54am On Apr 14, 2019
fasho01:
Though I'm not a fan of gbaja because ever since he has been representing me in the lower chamber, his impact hasn't been felt in our immediate environment. However, I'd like him to win this speakership tussle so he can go and rest, and we can see an end to his posters.

His only undoing right now is that he's Tinubu's stooge which I know is the main reason for the stiff opposition he's getting so far

Fear God, Ahh!! Stop lying Mr Man, By the way first, where's your immediate environment because its obvious you don't know who's representing you, its obviously not Femi. Femi is one of the hardest workers in that house and his impact is greatly felt in his constituency, especially amongst the Youth! The Youth empowerment no be here!

Just last year Nov, he distributed almost 500 ICT equipments, do you even know about the "Gbaja Ride Project" where over 2,000 young men and women have been gainfully empowered in the Transport sector, Do you know about his several numerous and ecological projects to make Surulere a Flood-Free Zone, Should I talk about the beautiful Surulere Light Up projects that beautified and ensured security in all over Surulere especially the hotspots.

Go find your HOR memeber oo! It's definitely not Femi. grin
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Smarkie: 8:06am On Apr 14, 2019
non of them have interest of the masses
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by ChristianNorth: 8:09am On Apr 14, 2019
fasho01:

You clearly said he has not been performing in small Surulere yet you want him as the Speaker for over 180 million people so that he won't contest again.

You are one of the problems of this country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:30am On Apr 14, 2019
The struggle for power.
Anyway, let's wait and see how it will unfold.
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by Konki: 8:43am On Apr 14, 2019
kunmiiii:

Fear God, Ahh!! Stop lying Mr Man, By the way first, where's your immediate environment because its obvious you don't know who's representing you, its obviously not Femi. Femi is one of the hardest workers in that house and his impact is greatly felt in his constituency, especially amongst the Youth! The Youth empowerment no be here!

Just last year Nov, we distributed almost 500 ICT equipments, do you even know about the "Gbaja Ride Project" where over 2,000 young men and women have been gainfully empowered in the Transport sector, Do you know about his several numerous and ecological projects to make Surulere a Flood-Free Zone, Should I talk about the beautiful Surulere Light Up projects that beautified and ensured security in all over Surulere especially the hotspots.

Go find your HOR memeber oo! It's definitely not Femi. grin
.. Pay per post spotted

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by DamolaIbrahim: 9:07am On Apr 14, 2019
Chris Azubogu should be made speaker. He is good enough. I learnt the guy has more projects in Nnewi than Obiano has in the whole of Anambra.
Re: House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila by chibuzorAbia: 9:20am On Apr 14, 2019
Smarkie:
non of them have interest of the masses

So? I hate the masses even though I am not a politician. The masses with their poverty having children up and down like rats, yet screaming unemployment and poverty. And they are bloody cowards on top - useless masses!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate To Share Committees Between APC, PDP / Will You Vote In Next Year's General Elections Or Not? / I Dare All You Biafra E-warriors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.