Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,357 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) (99444 Views)

What The Corona Virus Made Onitsha Niger-bridge Look Now Now(photo) / Top 10 Fastest Trains In The World 2019 (photos) / Rare Picture Of The First Onitsha Niger Bridge Under Construction In The 1960s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by judondasylva(m): 11:19am On Apr 15, 2019
You are a big fool and a racist tribalist. Why do you people hate the Igbo’s for no reason? If an Igbo guy open this kind of thread against the Yorubas I know that thé mods will close the thread and ban the OP but you people do this all the time yet you still don’t want those you hate to stay on their own
Officialgarri:

This bridge was commissioned by the then Prime Minister late Alhaji Tafawa Balewa and opened for traffic in December 1965... barely 15 days after, The same Balewa was assassinated by the people he commissioned the bridge for.

Two years later, the same people destroyed what was built for them.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Cadec007(m): 11:19am On Apr 15, 2019
Ritchiee:

lol
You cannot argue because you know that everything I have written is the fact.
ok, i agree, but the Emir controls those industries, The Emir can sell ibadan to saudi Arabia.. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by horsepower101: 11:23am On Apr 15, 2019
ritababe:

How will Nigeria divide? Can Igbo defeat Nigeria army?
Go and see the destruction in southern Cameroun just because of referendum.

My main point is that peace should reign and the igbos shouldn't provoke the federal government again as Kanu recently did leading to the death of many igbos.

Ok if you get mind repeat 1966 genocide against igbos and see how long your one Nigeria will last. You succeeded in 1966 when the rest of the world was blind to what was going on. The British also helped you hide it back then with their own media and propaganda.

The world has changed a lot since then.

Carry out your genocidal fantasy and watch Biafra become a Nation fast through international intervention.

You will quickly lose the support of all Millions of igbos who still support this fake country just like they did in 1966 after the genocide.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Ritchiee: 11:26am On Apr 15, 2019
Cadec007:
ok, i agree, but the Emir controls those industries, The Emir can sell ibadan to saudi Arabia.. tongue tongue tongue
Azikiwe knew that Ibos were no match for the Yorubas.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Cadec007(m): 11:33am On Apr 15, 2019
horsepower101:

Ok if you get mind repeat 1966 genocide against igbos and see how long your one Nigeria will last. You succeeded in 1966 when the rest of the world was blind to what was going on. The British also helped you hide it back then with their own media and propaganda.

Carry out your genocidal fantasy and watch Biafra become a Nation fast through international intervention.

You will quickly lose the support of all Millions of igbos who still support this fake country just like they did in 1966 after the genocide.
the election actions in PH was on step...
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by BiafraIsFree: 11:36am On Apr 15, 2019
Officialgarri:

This bridge was commissioned by the then Prime Minister late Alhaji Tafawa Balewa and opened for traffic in December 1965... barely 15 days after, The same Balewa was assassinated by the people he commissioned the bridge for.

Two years later, the same people destroyed what was built for them.

Any bridges that Nigeria Fulani jihadists are using to keep invading Biafraland to steal, to destroy and massacring innocent Biafrans/IPOB; shall be DESTROY in due time.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Zahrudin: 12:16pm On Apr 15, 2019
Pls what initiated the war? How did the war started? And by who pls I need an answer
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by nku5: 12:18pm On Apr 15, 2019
Cadec007:
i wont 'totally' agree bro.... The hausa and fulani are two distinct tribes, the hausa's view fulani's as oppressors BUT they have been silenced to the extent an outsider won't easily note the differences and potential weakness.........

Go check bro, A fulani would on no account ever bow to Hausa.......

So i think the perpetuator is a hausa, i might be wrong though but never 4get the above point.. The hausa-fulani and even kanuri are not friends, it is only religion that brings them 2geda

Dimka and his fellow coup plotters were of the Angas tribe like Gowon. Different tribe from Murtala and Taiwo but same North

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by stagger: 12:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
The sad commentary in all this is that we are here on Nairaland spewing ethnic sentiments and hatred.
Meanwhile, the politicians at the top are all sharing the money, and there is no mention of Igbo, Yoruba, Middle Belt and Niger Delta. All of them are just sharing the money collectively with no discrimination.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 15, 2019
ugo4u:

l take that for sarcasm, grin in the north where I'm based they don't want to know whether you are Igbo from Delta or Rivers to them we're all "nyanmiri" even the Ijaws refer to the igboid speaking areas of Rivers and Delta as Igbos. It's when politics is involved the story will change especially by the Yorubas. Even the people of Opobo have Igbo ascentry from Imo state. The mumus on this platform don't know that Jaja of Opobo(the founder of the town) was from Imo state.
NB: If people who bear Yoruba names and speak a dialect of Yoruba from Kwara and Kogi are called Yorubas I wonder why some nitwits want to kill their selves when they hear Igbos are also indigenous in the Niger delta along side other ethnic groups as Ijaw, Kalahari etc

Anyone in Kwara n Kogi are not Yorubas grin
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 15, 2019
Amanew:
Abu m Onye Ebonyi, kedu ihe na ako,
o bu NzeOgwu abughi Aha Igbo?
what are you saying?

Ihem na-ako doro m anya.
anyway u may not know but we. Know what we are saying.
Igboland ends in Niger bridge

Anything across bridge are not igbos but purely benins.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Honor10: 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2019
lastempero:

Your useless father that sold your ancestry land

it is obvious u dont av a father, as long as u are selling gala in our states we are fyn, continue being our slaves
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Malawian(m): 1:55pm On Apr 15, 2019
gidgiddy:
The story about how the bridge was blown up is captured in Colonel Achuzia's book 'Requiem Biafra'. Achuzia was in Asaba, his home town, fighting when Federal troops overran the town. Achuzia then ordered his men to withdraw across the bridge to Onitisha. By the time Achuzia himself and his orderly got to the Asaba end of the bridge that night, some Nigerian soldiers were already there. He got out his car, threw some cam of beer down the road to distract the Soldiers, then jogged with his orderly down to the Onitsha end of the bridge where he met some Biafran engineers already lacing the bridge with bombs.

The next morning, Achuzia received orders from Brigadier Nwawo to lead the operations to blow up the bridge because Nigerian Soldiers had amassed at the Asaba end and were preparing for a major invasion. Achuzia got to the Onitsha end of the bridge were he met Lt Colonel Nsudoh, a brave Ibibio officer who fought for Biafra. Nsudoh handed the detonator to Achuzia who promptly blew the bridge according to Achuzia, the explosion was so loud that it threw him and Nsudoh up the air and when both men landed, they could not hear each other talking.

The significance of blowing up the bridge was that Murtala Mohammed then tried to invade Onitsha across the River Niger 3 disastrous times and lost more than half his division to capable Biafran Soldiers on the Onitsha side. When Murtala finally crossed the River, Achuzia destroyed what was left left of his troops at Abagana which led to Murtala being recalled from the war by Gowon
They should have waited until a quarter to half of the Nigerian Soldiers were already on the bridge or in Onitsha before blowing up the bridge. grin grin I am sure Dayokanu's uncle would have still been alive today, bearing Okorokanu or the likes.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Sagay212: 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2019
horsepower101:

Yen yen yen...same chest beating your for fathers did and got trashed. You threatened nigeria will burn if kanu was arrested, he was arrested and y'all abandoned him and went about your hustle like nothing happened. Python dance in your backyard and you did nada. You better face your business and stop the yeye noise and internet bragging ...olodo.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Bridget95(f): 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2019
CoolAmbience:

Why didn't the Jan.15 '66 coup by mostly military officers from the East include casualties from the region like it did in the North, West and Mid-West?

Aren't your Abacha, Obasanjo and Dimka references a distraction?

we are taking about coup not tribes. Coups are plotted by few military men not an entire tribe. The reason why Nigeria is below Rwanda in economic and political development is because of tribalism.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by horsepower101: 2:23pm On Apr 15, 2019
Sagay212:

Yen yen yen...same chest beating your for fathers did and got trashed. You threatened nigeria will burn if kanu was arrested, he was arrested and y'all abandoned him and went about your hustle like nothing happened. Python dance in your backyard and you did nada. You better face your business and stop the yeye noise and internet bragging ...olodo.

Face my business just like igbo civilians in 1966 were going about their business before they were brutally massacred.

You have been warned. If you want to keep your fake one Nigeria intact. Don’t massacre igbos ever again. Simple.

I don talk my own.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by ritababe(f): 2:45pm On Apr 15, 2019
Cadec007:
lol, now you are the one who needs to do more research.....Egypt and Russia supplied Nigeria with everything air related, Nigeria had a warships then, in fact, it was what was used to capture port Harcourt and Calabar

Yeah they supplied, I meant they have their own then.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Sagay212: 2:57pm On Apr 15, 2019
horsepower101:

Face my business just like igbo civilians in 1966 were going about their business before they were brutally massacred.

You have been warned. If you want to keep your fake one Nigeria intact. Don’t massacre igbos ever again. Simple.

I don talk my own.

Your warning should go to your iPod brothers. If they don't want wahala and python dance, they should stop looking for trouble and spreading fake news that will land them in trouble.

Have a good day.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Sardauna24(m): 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2019
nku5:

Correction. There was no battle at Niger Bridge the battle was Onitsha waterside. Achuzia blew up the bridge to slow the advance of the Nigerian forces. Murtala then sent thousands of soldiers across to Onitsha where they started to loot and destroy like they had done in Asaba. Biafran soldiers rallied and totally massacred the Federal forces. Some managed to swim back to Asaba to tell what happened.

Murtala the butcher of asaba, high on drugs and overconfident after his babalawo assured him he would win, sent wave after wave of men in boats across to Onitsha but they were massacred also.
You must be from flat head gang Aka biafra bush i sight you.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by nku5: 4:01pm On Apr 15, 2019
Sardauna24:
You must be from flat head gang Aka biafra bush i sight you.

You are definitely from the almajiri, paedophile, terrorist lineage

How the hustle? grin

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by nduka84(m): 4:11pm On Apr 15, 2019
FemiMaduka:

You are ignorant (I mean no offence)! The crisis in the Western Region had taken thousands of lives and was fast taking up a civil war dimension, as the Akintola camp and Awolowo camp were ready to pull everywhere down. The central government headed by Tafawa Balewa (who was a stooge to Sardauna) was in support of S.L. Akintola who many felt was not even worthy to lace Awolowo's shoe.

The crisis was very messy and bloody. It created discontent all over. It was obvious there was no end in sight; particularly, the central government was not going to be able to quell the bloody crisis because it was found to have a hand in it!

The problem is that we do not read! This whole thing happened not very long ago, barely seventy (70) years ago. Many of the central actors (including Igbos and Yorubas) have come out to state that the coupists planned to install Awolowo as the Head of government - even Ojukwu,who was very averse to the coup (and actually fought and quelled it in Kano), revealed that the coupist targeted Awolowo to head the government. Never! You blockheads never learn anything of worth!

The leader of the gang, Kaduna Chukwuma Nzeogwu, was more Hausa than Igbo. He was born and bred in Kaduna. And the guys that knew him testified that he had a nationalistic fervor...

The excuse that the 1966 coup led to the pogrom against Igbo civilian population is very silly at best. The core north had killed Igbos on a large scale as far back as 1953, that was almost a decade before self-rule, and thirteen (13) freaking years before the coup!

The plan truth is that at that time Igbos were dominant in both the military and in the civilian sector. The North felt that natural jealousy and insecurity. 'The Igbos were taking over everywhere'. And also, at that point, there was a preponderance of Igbos in the officers corps of the army such that there was no way the army was going to be involved in any major military operation that there wouldn't be a dominance of Igbos.

How can a country thrive with this much misinformation!
thanks so much for this information. It was the same thing I said. The way awolowo and akintola, were playing politics of bitterness in the SW, made a coup inevitable. There was chaos and break down of law and order, to the extent that acid was being pured on people on the streets of the south west. Soyinka also sized a radio station, calling the south west "wild wild west ". He also called on the government to quell the crises, but the govt was taking sides with akintola. They jailed awolowo for no reason. Awolowos unwarranted imprisonment created too much sentiments in the land, including in the military. The coup plotters were mainly people who loved awolowo and looked up to him. Even aguiyi ironsi and ojukwu were all marked down for execution. But they got wind of the coup before the killers got to them. Ademoyega in his book, (why we struck ) opined that the coup was a nationalist one, and that their agenda was to release awolowo from prison, and install him as the rightful and deserving leader of Nigeria. Let's also note that as soon as nzeogwu made his radio broadcast. All Nigerians were happy about the coup. And there was wild jubilation across the land. But those sent to Lagos , to kill the most senior army officer of that time (aguiyi irons) failed. And ironisi gathered the remaining Nigerian soldiers around him, to quell the coup.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by CoolAmbience(m): 4:17pm On Apr 15, 2019
Bridget95:
we are taking about coup not tribes. Coups are plotted by few military men not an entire tribe. The reason why Nigeria is below Rwanda in economic and political development is because of tribalism.

What are you saying?

Are coup plotters not humans? Don't they belong to tribes? Of course, they don't constitute the whole of the tribes they belong, but that does not change the fact of their identities.

Also, I do not agree that the reason we are behind economically and politically is tribalism. It is more about greed, corruption and ineffective leadership.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by AbuAeesha: 5:08pm On Apr 15, 2019
nku5:

Igbo Majors like Adewale Ademoyega abi?

Even if the counter-coup was necessary was the genocide of Murtala/Taiwo at Asaba necessary?
I'm not supporting the war/killings but murtala was fighting for his country,he was fighting the rebels who want to disunite the nation after carrying out the first ever coup in the country,and the rebels too were fighting back hard so murtala to do what he did to protect his people too, moreover the war was NO VICTORY NO VANQUISH so.... thanks
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by nku5: 5:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
AbuAeesha:

I'm not supporting the war/killings but murtala was fighting for his country,he was fighting the rebels who want to disunite the nation after carrying out the first ever coup in the country,and the rebels too were fighting back hard so murtala to do what he did to protect his people too, moreover the war was NO VICTORY NO VANQUISH so.... thanks

1. Murtala was a war criminal and igbo hater of the worst type. Also a serial coup plotter and lousy soldier. We Igbos respect warriors like General Shuwa, Babangida and Akinrinade. These ones are enemies that earned our respect

2. The REBELS never staged any coup. Nigerian soldiers staged the coup but northern propagandists nicknamed it an Igbo coup so they could murder, rape and mutilate 50,000 Igbos in the north.

3. The rebels were everyday Igbos. Lawyers, Teachers, Farmers etc all fighting for survival so their chidren could have a future in the accursed and blood soaked fraud called Nigeria. They are the ones that disgraced Murtala the butcher of unarmed civilians and caused him to be redeployed

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by AbuAeesha: 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
nku5:

1. Murtala was a war criminal and igbo hater of the worst type. Also a serial coup plotter and lousy soldier. We Igbos respect warriors like General Shuwa, Babangida and Akinrinade. These ones are enemies that earned our respect

2. The REBELS never staged any coup. Nigerian soldiers staged the coup but northern propagandists nicknamed it an Igbo coup so they could murder, rape and mutilate 50,000 Igbos in the north.

3. The rebels were everyday Igbos. Lawyers, Teachers, Farmers etc all fighting for survival so their chidren could have a future in the accursed and blood soaked fraud called Nigeria. They are the ones that disgraced Murtala the butcher of unarmed civilians and caused him to be redeployed

lolz, why did nzeogwu,ifeajuna, anuforo, okafor plotted the first bloody coupif they hadn't plotted the coup would murtala do anything,these igbo majors started it first,but I know you will still fail the fault of the first coup plotters, bye thanks

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by nku5: 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2019
AbuAeesha:

lolz, why did nzeogwu,ifeajuna, anuforo, okafor plotted the first bloody coupif they hadn't plotted the coup would murtala do anything,these igbo majors started it first,but I know you will still fail the fault of the first coup plotters, bye thanks

I see you left out Gibson Jalo (Northerner), Atom Kpera (Northerner), Adewale Ademoyega (Yoruba), Capt Oyewole (Yoruba) and several others grin

Bye bye

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by objobj: 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2019
Jowanson:

You are very correct..there was a huge rift between Akintola and Awolowo.....And the feds preferred Akintola...that led to the crisis in SW region then.... This was the genesis of everything.

And that lead to the killling of sardauna and tafawa balewa? Pls link your story to this event.
Rubbish.........
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by objobj: 6:26pm On Apr 15, 2019
AbuAeesha:

No victor?

Lol
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 8:11pm On Apr 15, 2019
raumdeuter:
The killer of Murtala were executed immediately not protected like Ifeajuna and co

Not quite correct! Col Dimka was executed but Sgt. Yilda who did the actual killing is still “at large” till today.

Meanwhile, Gen. Gowon who was quickly roped into the coup plot has since been “pardoned”, rehabilitated and living large.
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Jowanson: 10:13pm On Apr 15, 2019
objobj:

And that lead to the killling of sardauna and tafawa balewa? Pls link your story to this event.
Rubbish.........

Why the word Rubbish....what happens when there is a coup? And why was there a coup in the first place..I just explained what led to the coup...History books said so...not me...I just don't understand were your worry is emanating from?

Go back to history and ask those questions..don't ask me...

All I did was corroborate a post and state emphatically the genesis of the coup...In most coups, killings of high ranking political bigwigs takes place....I never said I was proud of the killings? But it's a coup.. And that is what it is ..just a coup!
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Amanew(m): 6:43am On Apr 16, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Ihem na-ako doro m anya.
anyway u may not know but we. Know what we are saying.
Igboland ends in Niger bridge

Anything across bridge are not igbos but purely benins.
Ihe I na ako bu na Chukwunma NzeOgwu Abughi onye Igbo?
I want to learn something!
Re: Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 16, 2019
Amanew:
Ihe I na ako bu na Chukwunma NzeOgwu Abughi onye Igbo?
I want to learn something!

Exactly he is not.

History don't lie

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

"The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria / Animals At Kofar Gamji Park, Kaduna: A Visit After Reopening (Photos & Video) / Ibadan Brown Roofs: A Matter Of Perception - updated with more photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.