Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,415 members, 7,819,493 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians (19729 Views)

Emmanuel Folorunso Abina Is Dead! Pastor Elijah Abina's Son Dies (Photo) / "Dead Pastor, Anderson Chinenye, Back To Life At The Mortuary" - Facebook User / "Dead Pastor Wokoma David Resurrects After 48 Hours In Mortuary" - Facebook User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by ainas247: 10:29pm On Apr 14, 2019
PaulAris:

Uhm... did this apply to Lazarus too?

When the owner of life commanded what do you expect.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Oselu28(f): 10:32pm On Apr 14, 2019
2 Maccabees 12:38-45.
We can preach for or against anything and still use the same bible .

Why do yoruba's say "ki Olorun te won si afefe rere"??

As for me I'll pray for every soul that I love that has
gone to d world beyond before me,that may their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace Amen
May God's perpetual light shine upon all of them...Amen

2 Likes

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Holak: 10:33pm On Apr 14, 2019
How about the prayer offered for Lazarus
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Waylex21(m): 10:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
The truth of the matter is that praying for the dead is in the Bible. To understand this, we must first consider that the idea of the dead changed by the time of the New Testament. In the Old Testament, there was nothing like heaven or hell. All the dead went to Sheol, the abode of the dead. But in the book of Daniel chapter 12, the belief of judgement after death, where some will be rewarded and others punished is found there. This is where the teaching about Heaven and Hell began.
Coming to the New Testament, Paul in I Cor. 15:27 acknowledged that Christians were being baptized on behalf of the dead- meaning that they were baptising themselves for the sake of dead relatives who were not baptised before their death.
Secondly, in 2Tim.1:16-18, Paul prayed for Onesiphorus, a man who was good to Paul in his journeys. Onesiphorus was already dead when Paul wrote this letter and offered prayers for him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Katier00(f): 10:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
pode:

But the same Bible is saying, Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

So which mercy after death are you talking about?
God's endless mercies. The one that is new every morning. The one that raised the death, his friend lazarus, the widows son and so many others. I'm talking about his endless mercies and steadfast love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Amumaigwe: 10:41pm On Apr 14, 2019
YourNextLevel:
Great job sir

To make something clear here "Purgatory" was used to raise money in the church for those following religion without studing the scripture

Similar to the teaching that sowing of seed to some Pastopreneurs brings supernatural favour.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by MRSALT: 10:49pm On Apr 14, 2019
The prayer include the cliche "rest in peace " RIP. It amounts to nothing and useless.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by enemyofprogress: 11:14pm On Apr 14, 2019
How e take concern you?is it your mouth or is it your prayer?no go face your business centre
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by enemyofprogress: 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2019
Oselu28:
2 Maccabees 12:38-46.
We can preach for or against anything and still use the same bible.

Why do yoruba's say "ki Olorun te won si afefe rere"??

As for me I'll pray for every soul that I love that has
gone to d world beyond before me,that may their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace Amen
May God's perpetual light shine upon all of them...Amen
God bless you jare

1 Like

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Oselu28(f): 11:26pm On Apr 14, 2019
enemyofprogress:
God bless you jare

God bless you too dear
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by akdjr(m): 11:30pm On Apr 14, 2019
If you say we should stop praying for the dead, then why do you preach that a particular man who died over thousands years ago will come back to this earth again?
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Thetruthshallse(m): 11:43pm On Apr 14, 2019
Whether this man like it or not, I will still continue to pray for my dead dearest. l pray to God to grant them eternal rest in the mighty name of JESUS. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by oluchi557(f): 11:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
Pastor so if someone dies in your church ,u just bury him like that? If u perform any service or prayer to a dead person before burial u are guilty of what u preach

3 Likes

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by DedeNkem: 12:05am On Apr 15, 2019
Prayer doesn't work!
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by godofuck231: 12:18am On Apr 15, 2019
damiloladuke:
A man of God identified as Pastor Giwa of the Awaiting The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ Gospel Church, has advised Christians to stop praying for the dead.

According to daily Post, the cleric in a statement mentioned that since the dead are no longer in existence in the physical realm, nothing can be changed about them.

Giwa however said prayers should be for the living.

Read his statement:

“It baffles me when people pray for the dead. Specifically, the Bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:5 that ‘For the living know that they shall die; but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.’

“Also in Psalm 146:4, ‘When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day, their plans come to nothing.’

“As we are still living, we have plenty of time to examine our lives whether we are in the faith. All of us are still living by grace, and when death comes, we know nothing again.

“Let us look deep into our hearts to see whether we truly serve God or not. Are we not using God’s name to gather money for ourselves? But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken, according to Matthew 12:36.”

https://lailasnews.com/stop-praying-for-the-dead-pastor-charges-christians/

then stop praying to Christ or Abraham
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Rugsoul13: 12:37am On Apr 15, 2019
ainas247:
grin
If you die and you are not buried yet, the name of Jesus Christ.
can still wake you

You have all the privilege to make your way to God
once you die and buried IT IS OVER

pastor or Imam prayer will not change anything
it's now between you and your maker

Give your life to Christ now before is too late no one know tomorrow.

--------
You can still Rank your business on Google page one
or come for 1 on 1 teaching
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by kmaster007: 12:45am On Apr 15, 2019
dis pastor dey kolo mental. whr he dey for bible. nah him no whr he as seen his
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by AreaFada2: 12:50am On Apr 15, 2019
Nairalandmentor:
Hmmmmmm kiss
Awaiting The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ Gospel Church lipsrsealed

No advance payments required! Get your website designed then pay after. Kindly click HERE to see our beautiful designs.

If like your baby meme saying: "Lord, how did I end up in this confused country biko?" shocked shocked
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by kmaster007: 12:59am On Apr 15, 2019
DedeNkem:
Prayer doesn't work!
from ur village
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Alwaystruth: 2:20am On Apr 15, 2019
MY PEOPLE PERISH BECAUSE OF LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. AFTER YOU READS THIS, YOU WILL KNOW THAT THERE IS LIFE AFTER DEATH AND OUR LIVES DO NOT END AFTER DEATH. GOD CARES ABOUT US TILL ETERNITY...

Why were Michael and Satan disputing over the body of Moses (Jude 9)?
Michael Satan Moses bodyaudio
Question: "Why were Michael and Satan disputing over the body of Moses (Jude 9)?"

Answer: Jude verse 9 refers to an event which is found nowhere else in Scripture. Michael had to struggle or dispute with Satan about the body of Moses, but what that entailed is not described. Another angelic struggle is related by Daniel, who describes an angel coming to him in a vision. This angel, named Gabriel in Daniel 8:16 and 9:21, tells Daniel that he was “resisted” by a demon called “the prince of Persia” until the archangel Michael came to his assistance (Daniel 10:13). So we learn from Daniel that angels and demons fight spiritual battles over the souls of men and nations, and that the demons resist angels and try to prevent them from doing God’s bidding. Jude tells us that Michael was sent by God to deal in some way with the body of Moses, which God Himself had buried after Moses’ death (Deuteronomy 34:5-6).

Various theories have been put forth as to what this struggle over Moses’ body was about. One is that Satan, ever the accuser of God’s people (Revelation 12:10), may have resisted the raising of Moses to eternal life on the grounds of Moses’ sin at Meribah (Deuteronomy 32:51) and his murder of the Egyptian (Exodus 2:12).

Some have supposed that the reference in Jude is the same as the passage in Zechariah 3:1-2, “Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the LORD said to Satan, ‘The LORD rebuke you, O Satan!’” But the objections to this being the same incident are obvious: (1) The only similarity between the two passages is the expression, “the Lord rebuke you.” (2) The name “Michael” does not occur at all in the passage in Zechariah. (3) There is no mention made of the “body of Moses” in Zechariah, and no allusion to it whatever.

It has also been supposed that Jude is quoting an apocryphal book that contained this account, and that Jude means to confirm that the account is true. Origen (c. 185–254), an early Christian scholar and theologian, mentions the book “The Assumption of Moses” as extant in his time, containing this very account of the contest between Michael and the devil about the body of Moses. That book, now lost, was a Jewish Greek book, and Origen supposed that this was the source of the account in Jude.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Apination(m): 4:23am On Apr 15, 2019
YourNextLevel:
Great job sir

To make something clear here "Purgatory" was used to raise money in the church for those following religion without studing the scripture
undecided
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Apination(m): 4:45am On Apr 15, 2019
YourNextLevel:
Great job sir

Purgatory is a place of purification for those who's sins are not deserving of eternal condemnation but at the same time cannot be in heaven due to those sins. At what time in the history of the Catholic Church was money collected in the name of purgatory? Praying for the dead is as old as man, and I believe you have at some point in time attended one Christian funeral service or the other in your church, if praying for the dead is stupid as you say, then then it means you and all those who converge for such are also stupid undecided
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by PaChukwudi44(m): 4:49am On Apr 15, 2019
Praying for the dead is very very biblical.Paul prayed for his late friend Onesiphorous,2 Tim 1:16-18.From 2 cor 15:27 we see clearly people were baptised on behalf of the dead.

In 1 peter 3:19 and 1 peter 4:6 it was also shown that Jesus preached the good news to souls of the dead.Pastors should stop saying what they dont knoe

1 Like

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by femi4: 5:19am On Apr 15, 2019
Katier00:
I don't agree. After death comes judgment. So your soul is still active. The bible said that God's mercies are endless. So he can show mercy to your soul even after death
Which kain teaching be this again.

The mercy of God is for the LIVING not DEAD

Heb 9:27

And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by LuckyM: 5:23am On Apr 15, 2019
Nothing but the truth
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Alexandro15: 5:34am On Apr 15, 2019
Then, we should stop saying ' Rest in peace'. All are prayers.
The mercy of the Lord is boundless, even at the hour of judgement. We have to keep praying for them until they enter the heavenly bliss.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by femi4: 5:37am On Apr 15, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
Praying for the dead is very very biblical.Paul prayed for his late friend Onesiphorous,2 Tim 1:16-18.From 2 cor 15:27 we see clearly people were baptised on behalf of the dead.

In 1 peter 3:19 and 1 peter 4:6 it was also shown that Jesus preached the good news to souls of the dead.Pastors should stop saying what they dont knoe
2 Tim 1:16-28 was talking about Onesiphorous absent. Not conclusive to say that he was dead

1 peter 3:19 says God saved 8 "souls " in the days of Noah. The "souls" there is referring to "People " saved. i.e Noah and his children, his wife and their wives

1 Like

Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by judeodion(m): 5:42am On Apr 15, 2019
chrisxxx:
This is correct
correct you say? Why then did Jesus Our Saviour raise the dead severally. He's still in the business of raising the dead.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by dykegabriel: 5:47am On Apr 15, 2019
The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, [24] Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. [25] Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: [26] Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. [27] And last of all the woman died also. [28] Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. [29] Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. [30] For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. [31] But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, [32] I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. [33] And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.
Re: Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians by Facile: 6:01am On Apr 15, 2019
Freedom of religion.Practice what you believe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Six Important Powers Every Christian Should Seek From God. / The 9 Supernatural Gifts Of The Holy Spirit / Why Do We Have More Ladies In Churches Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.