Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,443 members, 7,846,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:39 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1581862 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 9:12am On Nov 06, 2008
lake magadi, southern kenya

Thika town, small industrial town 45km from NAirobi, enjoy

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 9:15am On Nov 06, 2008
more of kenya, this is a wheat farm with lake nakuru in the background

Biking in the rift valley

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Sammy107d(m): 9:32am On Nov 06, 2008
totallly awesome landscape.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 11, 2008

this is lamu island in the indian ocean, centuries old swahili settlement
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2008
outspan hotel

scouts at the grave of lord powell the founder ot the scouts movwment, nyeri kenya

limuru
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2008
methodist university

[img][/img]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2008
zebroid, horse+zebra

at the coast

the rift valley

the magnificent mara

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2473409073_fd027748db_o.jpg
maasais

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/1303375715_0c3c36fc0d_o.jpg[img]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 9:03pm On Nov 11, 2008
this is eldoret town in the riftt valley

rift valley
grape farm

Limuru kenya

mai mahiu
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by oladsey(m): 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2008
kehya is tempting like european countries o with these pics. they now have obama.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 3:14pm On Nov 13, 2008
yeah obama, he put kenya onthe map pretty well
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 8:09pm On Nov 13, 2008
hmm are kenyans allowed anywhere near those nice landsapes

last i remember they kenyans worked for the foreigners that control those places

maasia  man, are u a game park man
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 12:06am On Nov 14, 2008
whats up ikeyman,why?, we are one! wink smiley cheesy kiss
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:29am On Nov 14, 2008
All the game parks are controlled by the kenya government, they do it so well that people from other countries even the west come to find out how they manage to keepo them so well, so no foreigner don't control them although there are small conservancies owned by white kenyans, like the lewa conservancie. btw i don't work in wildlife, its just for the love of kenya grin grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by hedges007(m): 4:36pm On Nov 14, 2008
@ Larger 20

Calling Nigerians "Oloshi" hope you know the meaning of that?

if you do, then permit me to say you are damn stupid.

others are giving positive views and opinions, only for a monumental anathema like you to insult "The happiest people on earth" (9gerians)

you must be suffering from idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2008
hare krishna festival

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2008
lake nakuru

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2008
Nakuru naivasha highway on a chilly day

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z8/kenyandude/5343795.jpg

sigona golf course

kericho tea plantations

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2008

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:37pm On Nov 21, 2008
this is kakamega rain forest

[img][/img]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Casper74: 6:35am On Nov 24, 2008
Hello I live in the USA in Detroit and i think that no matter where you go there are slums and poor anytime you have people who care more about there money than the people who live in there country you will find slums somewhere but you can find beauty anywhere so look for that even in the slums or poverty stricken areas you can find it just open your eyes to the whole picture.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by karura: 11:28pm On Dec 29, 2008
Guys i am a true Kenyan who loves his country, there for i don't agree with all the comments made by ignorant but its true we have let Indians and juguus run a big part of the Kenyan economy eg Java house and canii are owned by Americans and thats just a tip of the ice burg anyway we need to start taking control of our country.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2008
whoever posted these pics has conveniently avoided parts of Nairobi where the majority of the native Kenyan population live.
Here is a sample
blog.buildllc.com/2008/02/12/dwelling-scapes/
No doubt Nairobi is beautiful. A naturally beautiful landscape enhances its beauty. But this is not a traditional African settlement in the way that many Nigerian cities are. Nairobi was built from scratch by the colonialists. The nice parts of town were reserved exclusively for whites and rich Asians, and blacks were relegated to shabby dwellings in the slums. Kibera is Africa's largest slum, and it is in Nairobi, Kenya. More than 70% of the African inhabitants of Nairobi live in slum dwellings. Somebody should please post pictures of Abuja which is an entirely Nigerian built city and lets stop this nonsense.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2008
In fact, here:

www.peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=2217

PeopleandPlanet.net refers to Kibera as the world's biggest slum. Mathare is another massive slum in Nairobi where millions of the black Kenyans live. Standard of living for the average Nigerian is higher than the average Kenyan. Kenyans are still in that place where they look up to white people and call them "massa".

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 30, 2008
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by blackspade(m): 11:19am On Dec 31, 2008
Why are you trying so hard to derail this thread? This thread is dedicated to showing Nairobi to the nairaland community (in a good sense). Everyone knows about the slums and Kiberia, but who wants to see that for 23 pages straight? Abuja has nothing to do with this thread, and besides, Abuja has slums on the outskirts (they can't destroy all of them).

Stop being a troll. angry
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 31, 2008
Crap! The idea has been to suggest that Nairobi is beautiful in its entirety, and they have been posting pictures of game parks and mountain-tops that are not even remotely connected to the Nairobi metropolis. Many Nigerians have expressed surprise at how beautiful the pictures are. And if Nigerians didn't know that downtown Nairobi is so modern and well developed, they surely wouldn't have any idea about how grotty, shabby and dirty the slums are. The truth always hurts, but its still the truth. If they are going to feed us with the sweet side of Nairobi, they should also tell us that the majority of Nairobians are poor, live in shanty towns and cannot afford most of the things they have been showing us.

Kenya's economy relies heavily on the tourism industry and it makes sense that they would develop the tourist areas to international standards. But let us face reality here. In many parts of Kenya there are tribes who still run around half naked chasing animals with spears. No such thing exists in Nigeria. Let the truth be told please!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by blackspade(m): 1:49pm On Dec 31, 2008
This is the travel section, take your personal vengeance against Nairobi elsewhere.

[img]http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.salagir.com/gfx/troll-web.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHDAPiSqRN8AbeG7JfImqs1JAhY2Q[/img]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 31, 2008
Travel broadens the mind. I have no personal grievance against Nairobi. I have been there and I love Nairobi. I am a Nigerian but I like the Kenyan people a lot and my life partner is a Kenyan who lived in Nairobi for decades. But it is wrong to create the impression that Nairobi is all good, because it isn't. And also, it is important for people to know the truth and not be fed fantasies. Like I said before, the truth hurts, but its still the truth.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by osasp(m): 2:24am On Jan 03, 2009
i know a few Kenyans
they are nice peeps when you get to know em
few similarities with us Nigerians and nice sense of humour
but that's just my opinion, other might have had bitter experiences, but @ d end generalisation is not logical
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Mamaciku: 5:24am On Jan 03, 2009
As Kenyans, we know that Kibera exists and that it is the largest slum but since that is all we see in the Western Media and it creates the assumption that ALL of Nairobi is like that, the thread decided to go a different route.  Nairobi is a beautiful place to be. Abuja may just be as beautiful but folks on this thread need to educate us on the good things Nigeria has to offer and post Abuja's pics instead of the negativity going back and forth. That is what Africanese, masaii etc are doing for Kenya.

I also read someone questioning why Kenyans do not have African dress.  Kenya has 40+ tribes, each with quite differing cultures and even though we have tried to address the African attire business, we quite simply fail to agree.  I personally dont think its a big deal as much as most do, as long as we have Swahili that unites us, we can agree to disagree on the dress.  Another thing is we have intermarried so much between the tribes that some tribes and cultures are becoming extinct  (mine included) cry but on the upside, I can tell people that all I am is Kenyan.

I heard about Kibera going through revitalization via a low income housing program.  Does anyone have pics or info on it?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 03, 2009
Mamaciku:

As Kenyans, we know that Kibera exists and that it is the largest slum but since that is all we see in the Western Media and it creates the assumption that ALL of Nairobi is like that, the thread decided to go a different route.  Nairobi is a beautiful place to be. Abuja may just be as beautiful but folks on this thread need to educate us on the good things Nigeria has to offer and post Abuja's pics instead of the negativity going back and forth. That is what Africanese, masaii etc are doing for Kenya.

I also read someone questioning why Kenyans do not have African dress.  Kenya has 40+ tribes, each with quite differing cultures and even though we have tried to address the African attire business, we quite simply fail to agree.  I personally don't think its a big deal as much as most do, as long as we have Swahili that unites us, we can agree to disagree on the dress.  Another thing is we have intermarried so much between the tribes that some tribes and cultures are becoming extinct  (mine included) cry but on the upside, I can tell people that all I am is Kenyan. I heard about Kibera going through revitalization via a low income housing program.  Does anyone have pics or info on it?

Thanks for your kind comment. To set the record straight, I did not join this discussion to spoil things for those who wish for a positive picture of Nairobi to be painted.  However,  because the primary target market of the Kenyan tourist industry is the Western nations and countries like Japan and South Africa, the beautiful side of Kenya is very often promoted abroad, much more so than a country like Nigeria, where tourism plays a negligible role in the economy. So I would disagree that Kibera is all that we see in the Western media.

That said, there is also the African factor in terms of media reporting in the West, where for some unfathomable reason Western media reporters seem to believe that they are under an obligation to portray Africa in a negative light. Therefore, Kenya too does get its own share of the negative reporting that all sub-Saharan African countries are prone to. But seeing as most of the visitors to this site are Nigerians, who for various reasons are not potentially your typical candidates for wildlife, sun, sand and sea tourism, the interest of the average Nigerian in a place like Kenya might not be the same as that of the average European or American. Nigerians who saw the beauty of Nairobi for the first time through the pictures that were posted, marvelled at how beautiful the place is. It is indeed very beautiful, and I personally, fully intend at a later stage in life to relocate to Kenya. But it was important also for the Nigerians who marvelled at those pictures to understand the reality.

I found that in Nairobi, the disparity in lifestyles between the well-heeled and the less well-to-do is enormous. I also found that the middle ground in terms of material wealth is scarcely populated. The middle class in Nigeria is definitely more, not just in number, but also in percentage terms in the overall population. On the issue of national dress, Nigeria has 250 different ethnic groups, but it has still been possible through concerted effort to arrive at various styles which broadly incorporate the dress styles of as many of those ethnic groups as possibe; national dress does not have to definitive. It can and should combine the dress styles of various ethnic groups.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 3:16pm On Jan 03, 2009
@karura, indians do dominate certain sectors of the economy like manufacturing but black also do domonate the sevices ( hotels and restaurants 0 agricilture and other sectors, kenyas economt is pretty diverse.

anyenjiefa. There many thing you say that are either false or half true. Nairobi was never built from scratch by the colonialists, thats is just not true. Sure nairobi was planned bu the british but the city grew after independencer thats a well known fact.
this is how nairobi looked at indepenxce in the sixties

compare that to nairobi now

It is true that there are many slims in nairobi, no one denys that, and somthing is being done about that. the problem of slums is more of a governance issue that just poverty, only 23% of nairobians live in poverty.

And im sorry the average kenyan actually lives in better living standads than the average nigerian. just check out the latest human development index by the un, here it is

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=770228

No one is trying to mislead anyone here, if there is any nigerian here who think all of kenya looks this good, let me say it doesnt, there ara many ugly places, but the purpose of thi thread is to show the positive side of nairobi and not the slums. i would addvise you sir to start a thred on the slums in nairobi and i promise to help you feed it, then we can discuss the bst way to deak with them.

Yes there are tribes who "still run around naked" bacause the choose to live like that and preserve ther culteure, im sure your referring to my proud people the maasai

No majority of nairobauns are not poor, 23% compare that to nigeria 70%, check your facts first. im sorry if this sounds like an attack on nigeria cuz its not.

anything else needing clarification?

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.