Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,959 members, 7,835,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1580729 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 03, 2009
maasai!!:

anyenjiefa. There many thing you say that are either false or half true. Nairobi was never built from scratch by the colonialists, thats is just not true. Sure nairobi was planned bu the british but the city grew after independencer thats a well known fact.
this is how nairobi looked at indepenxce in the sixties
[quote][/quote]

Mr Maasai obviously your knowledge of the history of your country's capital city is limited. Look here:

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/uu26ue/uu26ue0o.htm

This is a report from the United Nations University. I urge you to read about the history of Nairobi and also the whole report, particularly the section titled Political Economy. Under this section focus on the subsection Poverty

I have nothing against Nairobi. I went there and I fell in love with the place. I go there at least one every year. This is not personal at all, but it is important however that the truth be told. I see no need why Nigerians should not know the whole truth, but only part of it.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2009
Thats a great report but it no where does it say nairobi was built by colonialist. There is nothing in the report that is new. Again it says there is poverty in nairobi which is true and which kenyans accept, so whats your point. And poverty is everywhere on the continent. You talk as if there is this big conspiracy to mislead nigerians that visit this forum which is not true, wb have said over and over again that we want to show the positive side of nairobi and thats it, we accept that there are horrible places that we will not show, now i honertly fail to see what your problem is unless you wake it clear to the rest of us. Otherwise continue to enjoy the beautiful pics.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2009
The report does say this: 

"The site of Nairobi was chosen by the Kenya Uganda Railway (KUR) authorities because it offered a suitable stopping place between Mombasa and Kisumu; adequate water supply from the nearby Nairobi and Mbagathi rivers; ample level land for railway tracks and sidings; elevated cooler ground to the west suitable for residential purposes; and apparently deserted land offering freedom for land appropriation. Another primary consideration for the selection of the site was that the place was free from tropical diseases, especially malaria. The new settlement was named after the Maasai name Enkare Nairobi, which means "a place of cold waters," although there was no permanent African settlement since the place was grazing land and a livestock watering point. In 1896, a small transport depot was established at the site to keep provisions for oxen and mules, Once the KUR authorities had made the decision to locate a depot in Nairobi, spatial patterns around it and the railway station emerged. Europeans established their homes on the hill to the west, away from Asians and Africans (fig. 9.3), soon leading to exclusive European residential settlements. Meanwhile, Asian employees who had been discharged from KUR employment established shops not far from the railway station, an area that came to be known as the Indian Bazaar. The Asian buildings were used both for business and as living quarters by a few Africans who worked for the KUR, while others lived in employee housing and shanty villages to the east (White et al., 1948). By 1906 the original KUR depot and camp had grown into an urban centre of over 10,000 people and definite land-use zones had appeared, though these had not been planned, with the Europeans mainly occupying the cooler westlands, the Indians in the north, and the African workers mainly concentrated on the periphery (fig. 9.4). With the completion of the KUR and the influx of more non-African settlers, the settlement expanded rapidly. By 1909 much of its internal structure, especially the road network in the CBD, was already established."

In case you were not already aware of this, the Kenya Uganda Railway (KUR) is described thus:

"In 1888, the British East Africa Company (BEAC) was granted a royal charter and exclusive rights to commercially exploit the African interior. Renamed the Imperial British East Africa Company (IBEA), they spearheaded an ambitious campaign through the Kenya-Uganda Railway authority (KUR), to build a metre-gauge, single-track railway line running from the Indian Ocean Port of Mombasa into Kampala, Uganda."

If the BEAC or the IBEA are not a part of British colonialism, then I don't know what is. 

Frankly from what I can see, if anyone has a problem here it seems to be you. I have been quite clear that my only objective is to point out the truth. And I think my point has fairly been made. When I visit Kenyan websites I receive a considerable amount of hostility from the Kenyans that I meet there and you have just shown yourself up as one of those hostile Kenyans who do not see anything good about Nigerians or Nigeria. I've got no beef with you. I like Kenya and I am in a long-term relationship with a Kenyan. We Nigerians are broad-minded enough to accept constructive criticism and we can deal with it. Obviously you cannot, but hey, that's your problem not mine. Enough said!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 5:55am On Jan 04, 2009
I have nothing against nigerians. What your pointing out is not new to me. What your not showing me is how nairobi as it is today was built by the colonialists.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 04, 2009
maasai!!:

I have nothing against nigerians. What your pointing out is not new to me. What your not showing me is how nairobi as it is today was built by the colonialists.

OK, in case you were not following what I was saying, I mentioned the history of Nairobi because I had commented previously that Nairobi is not a traditional African settlement in the way that most Nigerian cities are. The suggestion I made was that the blueprint for the city was laid out by the colonialists and that they built the city from scratch, because when the British arrived at the site where Nairobi is located today, the place was uninhabited and there was no traditional African settlement in existence. This is something you disputed, but now it has been proved that it was correct.

I do not see where this discussion is taking us and I do not wish to continue it. But I think I have achieved my goal of telling the true story. Thanks.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 11:02am On Jan 04, 2009
Lagos too is not 'a traditional' african settlement. So whats ur point, no nigerian should be proud of lagos despite the hard work nigerians have put in
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 04, 2009
Here we go again, Lagos is indeed a traditional African settlement originally known as Eko. When the Portuguese arrived they met the Yoruba people living there. This was a Yoruba Kingdom with a king (an Oba) living on Lagos Island. They named the place Lagos after 'lagoa' which is a Portuguese word meaning lagoon, because Eko is surrounded by a large lagoon. There is also a town in Portugal known as Lagos. The Portuguese were the first Europeans to visit Nigeria. The history of Lagos goes back many centuries, long before the British ever set foot in Nigeria. So there!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2009
Anyway wether nairobi was initially an african chinese or martian settlement, Nairobi as it is today is the product of hard working kenyans, built by money from agriculture and tourist and not from gold diamonds or endlessly flowing oil, for that we are exceedingly proud.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 04, 2009
And proud you should be, because as I have said consistently, Nairobi is a truly beautiful city!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 04, 2009
Anengi, have u been to mombasa? I was wondering how it compare to lagos in terms of climate and culturaly.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 04, 2009
No I have not been to Mombasa, but I've heard and read a lot about the place. From what I hear it must be similar to Lagos in terms of climate because both are equatorial coastal cities. Culturally, perhaps the Arab Islamic influence on Mombasa might be stronger than in Lagos, where the Islamic influence is doused by very strong African and European traditions.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2009
Well, you should, mombasa has some realy great beaches, many and very clean. Does lagos have nice beaches, i plan to visit.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by martho(m): 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2009
The kenyans behave like white people and they don't have good food.they have almost similar food like the europeans.Although nairobi is ok;but we ar still superior in  everything.we ar more intelligent,fashion wise, more quality life and individual riches,to say the least.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2009
Superior! crynow u understand y other africans\world can't stand nigerians.Ignorant and jealous idiots
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 19, 2009
mwanamwiwa:

Superior! crynow u understand y other africans\world can't stand nigerians.Ignorant and jealous idiots
@mwanamwiwa: If you chose to respond to martho's comment, I think you should have demonstrated  some maturity, rather than degrading yourself by resorting to abusive and insulting language. If it the case that you cannot stand Nigerians, then why have you taken the time to register on a Nigerian online forum, which clearly describes itself as a place for Nigerians and friends of Nigeria? If Nigerians are ignorant, then why do you choose to join their online community?

Let us all be sensible. This kind of childish rhetoric is best left for primary school children. We should exercise caution in the words that we speak and be careful to show respect for each other. By the way, it is not likely that any Nigerian will be jealous of Kenyans. Nigerians generally are not petty. We dont waste our time feeling jealous of others. I hear of Kenyans in the UK who report their own fellow Kenyans to the immigration authorities for being illegal immigrants, just because they are jealous. Nigerians don't mess up in that way. 

Please let us be respectful. Thank you.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 5:21am On Jan 20, 2009
Now ange, that also didnt sound very mature now did it? Preaching water and drinking wine!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 10:26am On Jan 20, 2009

this has got tom be one of my favourites

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 10:14pm On Jan 23, 2009
hmm happy new yr poor kenyans
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kenyanbabe(f): 10:14am On Jan 26, 2009
cant believe this shittyous 'war' btwn nairobi-nigeria is still on, what a shame!
Sad
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by cvibe: 10:47am On Jan 26, 2009
Beautiful city.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:46pm On Feb 10, 2009
housing nairobi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:47pm On Feb 10, 2009
more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:48pm On Feb 10, 2009
more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2009
more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 10, 2009
more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
Mombasa old town

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:01pm On Feb 10, 2009
more mombasa

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:03pm On Feb 10, 2009
mombasa more

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2009
one more, inside fort jesus

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 8:09pm On Feb 10, 2009
nairobi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2009

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.