Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,898 members, 7,848,636 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:50 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1582101 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:47am On Dec 21, 2009
The Kenya Police College - Nyeri

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:49am On Dec 21, 2009
Mount Kenya Academy (MKA), Nyeri

Some smaller pics of the school;

[img]http://www.rice.edu/sallyport/2007/fall/images/Arts/Strings3.jpg[/img]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:50am On Dec 21, 2009
Mt Kenya Hospital.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:53am On Dec 21, 2009
Still in Nyeri smiley

Asian Quarters estate.

Garden estate- This area used to be coffee plantations barely two years ago that are now part of Nyeri's suburban sprawl.

Gamerock area- more coffee plantations disappearing as new houses spring up.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:57am On Dec 21, 2009

Kenya Cooperative Creameries (KCC) milk processing plant.

Italian Memorial Church.

Inside, crypts holding the remains of fallen Italian soldiers who fought in WWII line the walls (right.)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 3:58am On Dec 21, 2009
Green Hills Hotel - Nyeri

They are expanding the hotel.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:03am On Dec 21, 2009
More new houses coming up around Outspan. (near the golf course).

@ Kunsville. (Outspan area).

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:05am On Dec 21, 2009
Mt. Kenya Safari Club

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:06am On Dec 21, 2009
Mathari mission, at the foot of Nyeri hill.

The old clock tower at Mathari.

[/
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:08am On Dec 21, 2009
Outspan Hotel - Nyeri cool

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:13am On Dec 21, 2009
Back to Nairobi

More estates are getting built on the Athi plains.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by naliakar: 4:50am On Dec 21, 2009
Kaskazi:

I just came across this site today and it blows me away. It's 40 years since I was in Kenya and it's wonderful to see the accomplishments of the intervening years. So nice to see some good news stories. We all hear much about the downside - full marks to all those showing us here the other side of the coin!

I am daring to make one or two minor points of correction. First, on this page, Mwanawiwa has a photo of the war memorial on Kenyatta Avenue. I think he will find, if he checks, that it commemorates, in the first place, those who died in the First World War, 1914-1918.

Then a couple of other things from some 20 or more pages back. First, I do not believe Mwanawiwa was correct in stating that FW de Clerk attended Nairobi (Prince of Wales) School. As far as I know, he was educated entirely in South Africa - high school in Krugersdorp and then Potchefstroom University. The family was rooted in South Africa and its politics, where his father was head of the Senate.

One other point I noticed was the statement that Kenya's State House was constructed in 1907. Certainly, there was a construction around that time, but it was not the present building, which was designed in the 1920s, like a number of prominent buildings in Nairobi, by the noted British architect Sir Herbert Baker, with construction overseen by his Nairobi-based associate, Jan Hoogterp.

Finally, I confess that so far I have only got through the first 30 pages, so perhaps this has already been covered, but I hope that the Alliance High School will be properly represented, being the distinguished school which so many of Kenya's national leaders attended. Beyond that, I hope to see more of the development of the smaller towns also.

What more can I say but to offer profound thank you for this wonderful and inspiring collection of photos. Keep it up!

You are correct in most of your observation here. But you are a bit off the mark with regard to De Clerk. I am not sure about him attending the Prince of Wales school in Nairobi. He may have. But what I am sure of is that his family had roots in Kenya  before relocating to South Africa. You will recall that as he left  office, De Clerk made a trip to Kenya specifically to  an Eldoret church which he claimed was either constructed with the help of/or patronized by his parents or Grandparents.

Try to find out from other sources about this. So Mwanamwiwa's statement is in the vicinity of some truth.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by naliakar: 4:55am On Dec 21, 2009
@Mwanamwiwa

I love the Nyeri pictures. Specifically the Outspan ones. there is nothing as refreshing as having hot mid morning tea seated on the green lawns of the hotel looking yonder and savoring mt Kenya sights in the far distance. Try it, you will grow younger by a few days.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Rubanikq2: 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
Mwanamwiwa- asante sana kaka, kwa kuni karibisha- I shall refrain from'kazaring' those who made ignorant remarks!!!! But, a spade is a spade, not a big spoon.lol!!!!
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your photos and the many others contributed by others. I'm really dying to be in Kenya now, this minute, but I'm stuck in the snow. Ebu tell me, those haoz in Athi, how expe are they? and the place in Emba- so good esto-can't remember the name, are there some still in the market? and how expe are they? Nime assume you are very aware na hizo prices!!!!!!! Thanks again- and thanks for this forum, all of you.-KIDOLE!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:37pm On Dec 22, 2009
I love the Nyeri pictures. Specifically the Outspan ones. there is nothing as refreshing as having hot mid morning tea seated on the green lawns of the hotel looking yonder and savoring mt Kenya sights in the far distance. Try it, you will grow younger by a few days.

Am glad you liked them.The Mt Kenya sights from the Outspan are great.Definately worth it. smiley

Posted by: Rubanikq2
Insert Quote
Mwanamwiwa- asante sana kaka, kwa kuni karibisha- I shall refrain from'kazaring' those who made ignorant remarks!!!! But, a spade is a spade, not a big spoon.lol!!!!
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your photos and the many others contributed by others. I'm really dying to be in Kenya now, this minute, but I'm stuck in the snow. Ebu tell me, those haoz in Athi, how expe are they? and the place in Emba- so good esto-can't remember the name

I dont know the prices at Athi but they shot up in the last 4 years due to highway,high housing demand etc.The esto at emba is the Nyayo embakasi.I have an article on phase 2 of the project.

[B][SIZE="4"]NSSF houses in Embakasi ready for allocation[/SIZE][/B]

Updated 6 hr(s) 19 min(s) ago
By Luke Anami

Individuals who applied for National Social Security Fund (NSSF) houses in Embakasi will know their fate early next year.

This follows handing over of more than 675 housing units by the Epco Builders, who were the main contractors of the project, to NSSF.

However, 675 applicants are likely to own the houses out of 4,000 people who had made applications.

"The process of allocating these units are in top gear, and should be concluded very soon," Alex Kazongo, NSSF’s managing trustee said during the handing over ceremony at Nyayo Estate Embakasi Phase II.

Evaluation process

"The completed units will be handed over to the short-listed buyers once the evaluation process is complete."

Of the 675 units, there are 154 maisonettes, 520 three-bedroom flats and one Duka maisonettes. These houses will be sold to willing buyers after a vetting by the fund.

The maisonettes and the three bedroom flats are going for Sh4.4 million and Sh5.4 million, while the Duka maisonnette will cost Sh 6.25 million.

"The fund will consider all applications in a fair and transparent manner," Kazongo said.

However, those with ready cash will have an advantage, as the Fund would like to sell the houses as quickly as possible.

"Nyayo Estate Embakasi constitutes of 4,774 units, 2,505 of which have been completed. The next phase of 688 units has been tendered and evaluation is almost complete," he said.

Mr Kazongo said the Fund is working towards completion of the remaining units within the shortest time possible.

"The next phase for 688 units has been tendered and evaluation is complete," he said.

Insatiable demand

Construction of more houses has been triggered by the insatiable demand witnessed in the previous phases.

The soaring demand saw NSSF revise its initial sale terms in September.

The initial terms stated that due to the housing shortage, the units would be sold on a first-come-first-serve basis with potential buyers paying only a 10 per cent deposit of the value of a unit.

The subsequent amounts were to be paid under a tenant purchase agreement, where rent would service the remaining amount.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:41pm On Dec 22, 2009

Am glad you liked them.The Mt Kenya sights from the Outspan are great.Definately worth it. smiley

Insert Quote
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your photos and the many others contributed by others. I'm really dying to be in Kenya now, this minute, but I'm stuck in the snow. Ebu tell me, those haoz in Athi, how expe are they? and the place in Emba- so good esto-can't remember the name

I dont know the prices at Athi but they shot up in the last 4 years due to highway,high housing demand etc.The esto at emba is the Nyayo embakasi.I have an article on phase 2 of the project.

[B][SIZE="4"]NSSF houses in Embakasi ready for allocation[/SIZE][/B]

By Luke Anami

Individuals who applied for National Social Security Fund (NSSF) houses in Embakasi will know their fate early next year.

This follows handing over of more than 675 housing units by the Epco Builders, who were the main contractors of the project, to NSSF.

However, 675 applicants are likely to own the houses out of 4,000 people who had made applications.

"The process of allocating these units are in top gear, and should be concluded very soon," Alex Kazongo, NSSF’s managing trustee said during the handing over ceremony at Nyayo Estate Embakasi Phase II.

Evaluation process

"The completed units will be handed over to the short-listed buyers once the evaluation process is complete."

Of the 675 units, there are 154 maisonettes, 520 three-bedroom flats and one Duka maisonettes. These houses will be sold to willing buyers after a vetting by the fund.

The maisonettes and the three bedroom flats are going for Sh4.4 million and Sh5.4 million, while the Duka maisonnette will cost Sh 6.25 million.

"The fund will consider all applications in a fair and transparent manner," Kazongo said.

However, those with ready cash will have an advantage, as the Fund would like to sell the houses as quickly as possible.

"Nyayo Estate Embakasi constitutes of 4,774 units, 2,505 of which have been completed. The next phase of 688 units has been tendered and evaluation is almost complete," he said.

Mr Kazongo said the Fund is working towards completion of the remaining units within the shortest time possible.

"The next phase for 688 units has been tendered and evaluation is complete," he said.

Insatiable demand

Construction of more houses has been triggered by the insatiable demand witnessed in the previous phases.

The initial terms stated that due to the housing shortage, the units would be sold on a first-come-first-serve basis with potential buyers paying only a 10 per cent deposit of the value of a unit.

The subsequent amounts were to be paid under a tenant purchase agreement, where rent would service the remaining amount.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2009

Insert Quote

[B]NSSF houses in Embakasi ready for allocation[/B]

By Luke Anami

Evaluation process

Insatiable demand

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2009
Ngong Forest (edge of Nairobi)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:53pm On Dec 22, 2009
Am glad you loved them Naliakar.The views of Mt Kenya from the Outspan are breathtaking.I couldnt get the pics of the golf course though. sad

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your photos and the many others contributed by others. I'm really dying to be in Kenya now, this minute, but I'm stuck in the snow. Ebu tell me, those haoz in Athi, how expe are they?

I dont know the prices of Athi but they have short up due to demand and the new highway.The estate in emba is known as Nyayo Embakasi and is one of the legacies of Mr Moi.I found an article on phase two of the project.

[B]NSSF houses in Embakasi ready for allocation[/B]

By Luke Anami

Evaluation process

Insatiable demand

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:58pm On Dec 22, 2009
More road construction cheesy

Road works and buildings going up at the same time and you wonder why there is cement shortage Kenya. one indication of a growing economy is the rate of cement usage and construction projects going on, and so far Kenya is in that situation.

Demand for housing in Kenya currently stands at 150,000 units a year, far outstripping the supply of 30,000 units.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 9:05pm On Dec 22, 2009

[B]beautiful[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 9:07pm On Dec 22, 2009

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 9:15pm On Dec 22, 2009
Koinange street. Jacaranda trees bloom in october painting Nairobi's streets with a beautiful purple colour.

Nairobi youth

Westgate Mall,Westlands(24hrs)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2009
Westlands skyline from an apartment. There are construction sites and cranes literally everywhere.

Residential apartments

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by naliakar: 2:27am On Dec 23, 2009
@Mwanamwiwa

Slight correction. That is not Koinange street six postings above. it is the extension of Muindi Bingu Street  stretching right up to the university way invisible in the background. Th foreground  the Sexeighty intersection of Kenyatta and Muindi Bingu streets.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mindeh(f): 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2009
Nairobi is just breathtaking n to all those haters evrything has got its good n bad.Give credit to the poor place
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:13pm On Dec 25, 2009
Slight correction. That is not Koinange street six postings above. it is the extension of Muindi Bingu Street stretching right up to the university way invisible in the background. Th foreground the Sexeighty intersection of Kenyatta and Muindi Bingu streets.

You are right naliakar.I will make the correction. smiley

Nairobi is just breathtaking n to all those haters evrything has got its good n bad.Give credit to the poor place

Thanks Mindeh.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:16pm On Dec 25, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2009
Residential apartments,Lavington

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2009
City park-Highridge/Muthaiga

The monkeys at City park

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:25pm On Dec 25, 2009

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.