Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ (37498 Views)

The Nairalife Of A Student Doubling As A Software Engineer / Lady Who Works At An Eatery Dozes Off On Sandwich She Was Serving A Customer / 11 Nigerians Who Work At Twitter Headquarters, San Francisco (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greatermeme: 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2019
TumblrGyal:
Very satisfying read
I'm looking someone to teach me programming and coding for free! Though, I've been learning it from youtube and w3schools .com
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by Butoneday2(m): 12:43pm On Apr 16, 2019
Is04970:
Yoruba leads, some follow and others are into drugs.
You are suffering for what i don't know and it is very very contagious. lipsrsealed
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greatermeme: 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2019
hsafarms:

Are pained because he's not Igbo?
Yes, he's Yoruba: But, how has that changed your life, or put food on your table, or even put money in your pocket? Don' start thinking of how you can become useful to yourself, get a nice car, live in luxurious apartment with your wife and children! The young man is there making money for himself, you're here on NL typing rubbish! The young man doesn't know you! Believe me, If you should approach him for cash, he would ask you to get lost! Today, start asking yourself: Where do I want to see myself, 1 year from today! No insults, bro!

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by TumblrGyal(f): 12:45pm On Apr 16, 2019
greatermeme:
I'm looking someone to teach me programming and coding for free! Though, I've been learning it from youtube and w3schools .com
Goodluck with it

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greatermeme: 12:49pm On Apr 16, 2019
TumblrGyal:
programming is so interesting cos its flexible, online tutelage gives more knowledge about it than classrooms trust me.Goodluck with it
OK, thanks!
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by MT: 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2019
Programming is not just about writing codes. It's about having the right architectural design that aligns with global best practices. If you know this, other things will fit in. For instance, a lot of people develop monolithic apps in Nigeria whereas the world has moved towards microservices. You need to know how all these fit in and why.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by ctecsols: 1:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
Interesting!
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by aanexplus(m): 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2019
Is04970:
Shut the fk up. There is no need for this tribalistic comment.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by Shancca: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2019
Ethnic bigot motherfucker
Is04970:
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by tribalistseun: 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2019
Is04970:

The elders in our communities don't encourage us to smuggle drugs. Can the same be said of the cursed erosion ridden redmudland ?
the so-called elder that is a drug Baron? That taught Nigerians how to deal in cocaine.

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by moonraker(m): 2:21pm On Apr 16, 2019
The guy is a genius.
We went to same high school.
Not surprised by his success.

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by AyodejiCharles(m): 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2019
moonraker:
The guy is a genius.
We went to same high school.
Not surprised by his success.

Yes... I remembered the guy I think he was in tedder or mellamby hall.. His name made him popular back then
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by SIRTee15: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2019
Esseite:
I just wonder if the Chinese people also says... "zhuang man working with twitter"..

There are very few blacks working in silicon valley....
His story is highly inspirational especially when u consider his background...
Non engineering for that matter....

3 Likes

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by Neoteny(m): 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2019
Meanwhile, at this very moment, a certain someone from a certain somewhere is planning to place 10kg of drugs in transit to Saudi Arabia..... because someone told them heads that are flat are impervious to the executioner's sword.

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by codemaniacs: 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2019
zz

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by Omonaijani: 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2019
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by SIRTee15: 4:10pm On Apr 16, 2019
codemaniacs:

nothing about his background....

he went to aptech and got a certificate in java programming.
then he enrolled at the Morgan State University, Maryland to pursue a master’s degree in bioinformatics where he reported directly to the school’s chief information officer (CIO) at the time..

1. he has a certificate.... most programmers are self taught and don't have certificates.
2. he has a master's degree.... In any university or company where you work directly with the CIO which is enough to get the guy the connections he needs...

from the post he comes from a privileged background, it does not matter to companies what you studied as long as you have a certificate or masters degree and have someone that can vouch for you (in his case the CIO)...

not everyone has the opportunity or funds to do masters abroad... once you make the right connections in life, you will "go far"....

I'm sure we didn't read the same article....

His desire was to study medicine, he ended up studying medical physiology......
He returned from NYSC and had nothing to do, no job.......
His laptop developed fault and couldn't afford to buy a new one.....
His self training got disrupted by epileptic power supply....
His first job was a sales rep....
Does that look like a guy with a privilege background or comes from a family with connections....

He didn't even study engineering or computer science in naija but motivated himself to code....
Do u think it's easy....
How many nigerian computer science or engineering students knows how to code....
Ask them, they will tell u it's HARD....

There are loads of IT training schools in naija....
And they not that expensive....
Andela even pay its students some form of stipends or so....
And when it comes to IT, nobody employs u because of certifications....
It's your stuff that count....
How good are u with product development....

Finally, foreign study is no longer a privilege of the upper class....
Quite a lot of middle class family send their kids abroad....
Besides if u can sit and crack GRE or GMAT, u are most likely to be offered scholarship....
Moreso, the guy said he worked for a while, when in naija b4 leaving, it's likely he saved up for his studies....

Even abroad, he didn't study a core engineering or computer science course....
But developed himself to become a software engineer....
And yes, he reported to the college's CIO because he built software solutions for the schools...
His skills made him outstanding and gave him the connections he needed in life.....

What that guy had going for him was KNOWLEDGE and PASSION....
He proved that knowledge is power....
He was able to use the knowledge he harnessed over time to develop himself and to create an opportunity to showcase his skills.....
That's the only advantage he has over people like u.....
Not any family connections or privilege background...

Don't be a kill joy or cynic....
Appreciate good things when u see one...
Working with Twitter in silicon valley no be moin moin.....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by autchman144(m): 4:11pm On Apr 16, 2019
this tribal banter isnt helping us at all. i shud really leave nairaland for good.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by codemaniacs: 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2019
zz
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by Kfed4ril(m): 4:43pm On Apr 16, 2019
Is04970:

The elders in our communities don't encourage us to smuggle drugs. Can the same be said of the cursed erosion ridden redmudland ?

Did you open NL yesterday? I guess you didn’t if I had you won’t be spilling this trash here.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by SIRTee15: 4:51pm On Apr 16, 2019
codemaniacs:

so in your opinion been middle class is not a privilege...

coding is not hard...

I didn't say anything about "FAMILY" connections...

the connections he made where he did his masters is what's important here...

people are employed because of certifications....

Middle class in the naija socioeconomic context...
The one buhari wants to wipe out....

He got that connection by virtue of his skills....
Nothing wrong in that....
It's called meritocracy...

Academic qualification counts for nothing in silicon valley...
It's either u know your stuff or u out....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by codemaniacs: 5:00pm On Apr 16, 2019
zz
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greypencils: 2:31am On Apr 17, 2019
AyodejiCharles:

Yes... I remembered the guy I think he was in tedder or mellamby hall.. His name made him popular back then
He was popsie of Redeemed Freshers Company. He was in PSSF too...Back in the day it was RFC, PSSF and DGC...Trust me guys from PSSF are all over the world doing much more exploits, but everyone is on a low key...very coded.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greypencils: 2:38am On Apr 17, 2019
codemaniacs:

nothing about his background....

he went to aptech and got a certificate in java programming.
then he enrolled at the Morgan State University, Maryland to pursue a master’s degree in bioinformatics where he reported directly to the school’s chief information officer (CIO) at the time..

1. he has a certificate.... most programmers are self taught and don't have certificates.
2. he has a master's degree.... In any university or company where you work directly with the CIO which is enough to get the guy the connections he needs...

from the post he comes from a privileged background, it does not matter to companies what you studied as long as you have a certificate or masters degree and have someone that can vouch for you (in his case the CIO)...

not everyone has the opportunity or funds to do masters abroad... once you make the right connections in life, you will "go far"....
Not everyone travelling out for a masters is from a rich family. Trust me. He is a close friend and he ain't that privileged like that. First rule is going to school, as much as possible a federal university and getting a good grade. Getting a scholarship for a masters is much easier than you think.

1 Like

Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by codemaniacs: 8:18am On Apr 17, 2019
zz
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by MsSantaClaus(f): 12:07am On Apr 18, 2019
greatermeme:

Have you applied for the Paystack/Lambda school Bootcamp? It's the maiden edition do pls join.
Re: Meet Babatunde Fashola, A Nigerian Software Engineer That Works At Twitter HQ by greatermeme: 9:01am On Apr 18, 2019
MsSantaClaus:

Have you applied for the Paystack/Lambda school Bootcamp? It's the maiden edition do pls join.
ok!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jobs Threatened By Robots / Dapper Man Selling Fruits In Traffic In Ghana / Chemical Engineering Graduate Sells Smoked Catfish - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.