Stats: 3,155,496 members, 7,826,859 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

National Grid Collapses Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Grid Collapses Again (718 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again (2) (3) (4)

National Grid Collapses Again by akelicious(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2019
Electricity consumers connected to the national grid have been thrown into darkness due to the grid system outage that occurred Monday night.

According to the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, corporate manager Bode Fedegbe says light will be restored when the system recovers.

The national grid which is the property of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, is collapsing for the fourth time this year.

TCN is yet to inform Nigerians of the reason for this latest grid collapse and how long the outage will last.

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/04/national-grid-collapses-again.html

Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 16, 2019
Well, power is back on here where I am in the FCT.

The transmission system needs $100bn for fixing
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by BuhariAdvocate: 11:14am On Apr 16, 2019
tactius:

Re: National Grid Collapses Again by yerokunphilips: 11:15am On Apr 16, 2019
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

There is a reason why we now have DISCOS and GENCOS...the idea being that government cannot raise cash for power in this country.

Even with Transmission under the control of the government, the thing is DISCOS are now charged with raising cash for the GENCOS and fixing the transmission.
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by BuhariAdvocate: 11:19am On Apr 16, 2019
Are you working for TCN
tactius:

There is a reason why we now have DISCOS and GENCOS...the idea being that government cannot raise cash for power in this country.

Even with Transmission under the control of the government, the thing is DISCOS are now charged with raising cash for the GENCOS and fixing the transmission.
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Are you working for TCN

The truth of the matter is that after several years of shouting 'UP NEPA' when they bring light, you start reading around these things...which is what I have done.

The amount of money needed to fix power in this country is not small. Hence privatization. That's why since 2013, I have stopped blaming government for power, after getting an idea of how bad things are.

The problem with Niaraland criticism of government...all of us write long stories about how government should do something and how corruption is killing us....

Well, power in this country needs money. The DISCOS have a liquidity gap of N1 trillion because the law setting up the DISCOS allows them to charge rock bottom power bills. (I pay N3000 for light where I live..I have a meter. In my previous residence...I paid N5000 on estimated).while government is supposed to pay a subsidy...which they are having diffiuclt paying. Plus there has been bailouts.

And yes, the previous govt did not let foreign companies come and bid....but the truth is, if they had, by now we would be paying bills of N20000 and above monthly for one room apartments...because them foreign companies are here to make profits. (Same as the GSM companies).

Add the fact that some Nigerians don't pay their bills (The DISCO covering Jos reported 48% of residents pay...to give an example) and even metering does not solve the problem, as some people bypass the thing.....and the issue pass government.
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by BuhariAdvocate: 11:38am On Apr 16, 2019
Its shall never well with pdp .assume they had spend that $20 billion on the power sector at least Nigeria will have stable power. However did you just say $ 1 trillion for power to stable where do you think government can get that from.Besides are you saying those countries in Africa that have stable power like Ghana spend so much, before they could have stable power?
tactius:

The truth of the matter is that after several years of shouting 'UP NEPA' when they bring light, you start reading around these things...which is what I have done.

The amount of money needed to fix power in this country is not small. Hence privatization. That's why since 2013, I have stopped blaming government for power, after getting an idea of how bad things are.

The problem with Niaraland criticism of government...all of us write long stories about how government should do something and how corruption is killing us....

Well, power in this country needs money. The DISCOS have a liquidity gap of N1 trillion because the law setting up the DISCOS allows them to charge rock bottom power bills. (I pay N3000 for light where I live..I have a meter. In my previous residence...I paid N5000 on estimated).while government is supposed to pay a subsidy...which they are having diffiuclt paying. Plus there has been bailouts.

And yes, the previous govt did not let foreign companies come and bid....but the truth is, if they had, by now we would be paying bills of N20000 and above monthly for one room apartments...because them foreign companies are here to make profits. (Same as the GSM companies).

Add the fact that some Nigerians don't pay their bills (The DISCO covering Jos reported 48% of residents pay...to give an example) and even metering does not solve the problem, as some people bypass the thing.....and the issue pass government.

Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Its shall never well with pdp .assume they had spend that $20 billion on the power sector at least Nigeria will have stable power. However did you just say $ 1 trillion for power to stable where do you think government can get that from.Besides are you saying those countries in Africa that have stable power like Ghana spend so much, before they could have stable power?

The 20bn is not enough. Yeah PDP should not have looted...but 20bn would have just made things slightly better.

Ghana does something we don't do...pay much higher bills

Infact, Nigeria's bills are too low to cover operating costs.
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by BuhariAdvocate: 11:49am On Apr 16, 2019
But if you are on prepaid meter you pay what you use.there is a serious corruption going on in power sector.
tactius:

The 20bn is not enough. Yeah PDP should not have looted...but 20bn would have just made things slightly better.

Ghana does something we don't do...pay much higher bills

Infact, Nigeria's bills are too low to cover operating costs.
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Stingman: 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2019
I remember this...and it got me cracking....hehehehe! I wan finish myself with laugh...

Re: National Grid Collapses Again by SarkinYarki: 1:15pm On Apr 16, 2019
tactius:

Liars must go to hell
Re: National Grid Collapses Again by Amuocha: 1:30pm On Apr 16, 2019
Useless APC power sef sad

‘I Stand With Victims Of Terrorism’, Buhari Condemns Sri Lanka Attack / Buhari, APC In Trouble As Atiku Engages New Lawyers / Nigerian Woman Becomes First African Elected Councillor in Leeds- UK