Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,157 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west (1920 Views)

Soldiers Attack GOC, Victor Eziegwu Over Food, Water Shortage In Maiduguri / Water May Wipe Out Parts Of S/west, S/south – Expert / Nigerians Should Prepare For Food Shortage - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 7:22am On Sep 15, 2010
[size=18pt]‘Political farmers cause food shortage in S/West’[/size]

Written by Dare Adekanmbi Wednesday, 15 September 2010

THE South-Western Nigerian Conference of Farm Settlers Association, on Tuesday, blamed food shortage in the region on government patronage of “political farmers who only practise agriculture by words of mouth.”

President of the association, Evangelist Samson Makinde, made the statement during a visit to the Tribune House in Ibadan as part of activities to usher in the 50th anniversary of the establishment of farm settlement scheme by Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

Makinde, who described a “political farmer” as one who gets government grant without any land to till, lamented that the development had hampered genuine farmers’ efforts at maintaining the scheme which, he said, had the capacity to feed not only the South-West, but also the entire nation.

He described the farm settlers as people who “cannot combine politics with farming,” stressing that the region had deviated form the legacy left behind by the sage, adding that the last strike by Northerner pepper settlers was a test of bigger threat in the future.

The farmer maintained that Chief Awolowo established the scheme with a view to helping the masses realise their optimal potential and be self-sufficient, expressing gratitude to him and his wife, HID Awolowo for her support.

While receiving the farmers, on behalf of the owners of the newspaper and the management team, Features Editor, Mr Olufemi Olukunle, bemoaned the seeming neglect of agriculture in the region, in spite of availability of vast arable land.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11079--political-farmers-cause-food-shortage-in-swest
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 7:27am On Sep 15, 2010
Nigeria just continues to go down the drain. Even after the SW took a big blow from the boycott of the northerners the some fools still continue to take from their people instead of putting plans in place to prevent the past from happening again. Africans never learn.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 3:41am On Sep 17, 2010
Remeber this thread?Look at how bad the food shortage hit the SW and still these people refuse to be proactive,its a shame indeed:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-409232.64.html

Also, here's an article from vanguard: (http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/hunger-looms/)
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by TewMuch: 3:59am On Sep 17, 2010
How does this affect the Igbo's? Face your region.Retard.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 4:00am On Sep 17, 2010
TewMuch:

How does this affect the Igbo's? Face your region.Retard.

We are just concerned.

We do not want your people to starve! grin

In Alaigbo we have plenty of yams!
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 4:05am On Sep 17, 2010
What a shame. Under-developed Nigeria is suffering from hunger, why some ppl want to laugh abt it. And aint this happening everywhere?  undecided

[b]The problem of population pressure in south-eastern Nigeria is compounded by the region's poor agricultural resources. In the absence of adequate technological inputs to increase agricultural productivity through technical innovations, the smallholders resort to some other strategies to improve their chances of at least providing enough food for themselves. In addition to an intensive and more frequent cultivation of the farmlands which are subdivided into diminutive plots the farmers adopt a multicropping system to maximise returns from every unit of land. Also, crop choice is concentrated on those ones which involve less expense in materials and labour input but promise higher productivity. The analysis of data shows that using these strategies the farmers have been able to improve their chances of feeding themselves but they have not succeeded in finding a lasting solution to the incidence of food shortage. The paper suggests that the ingenuity of the smallholders could be capitalised upon to introduce into their farming system some technical innovations that will ensure adequate food supply for the large population of south-eastern Nigeria.
[/b]

[url=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VD9-4697KY5-4&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F1986&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1464061084&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4056c9d722367aa7ae07c57086f92335&searchtype=a]SOURCE. .  .  .[/url]
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 4:07am On Sep 17, 2010
Anywayz, I cant wait for this election season to be over with.

Nigeria is a disgrade during the election seasons.

LMAO @ "political farmers" tho grin grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by TewMuch: 4:08am On Sep 17, 2010
Did the farmer's beg for your concern.They are actually improving themselves.Na yam we go chop die? All sorts of diabetes.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 4:08am On Sep 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What a shame. Under-developed Nigeria is suffering from hunger, why some ppl want to laugh abt it. And aint this happening everywhere?  undecided

Who is suffering from hunger? I only see one region suffering from food shortages.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 4:10am On Sep 17, 2010
TewMuch:

Did the farmer's beg for your concern.They are actually improving themselves.Na yam we go chop die? All sorts of diabetes.

See I am trying to be "One Naija" carrying about my Yoruba brothers and sisters and this is how you treat people who care?

Where is this famous hospitality you Yorubas are suppose to have?

If you need food, we Igbos can always export the food to you. For a good price. grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 4:15am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

Who is suffering from hunger?[b] I only see one region [/b]suffering from food shortages.
Is this suppose to shock nlers? grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 4:16am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

We are just concerned.

We do not want your people to starve! grin

In Alaigbo we have plenty of yams!
EzeUche22:

See I am trying to be "One Naija" carrying about my Yoruba brothers and sisters and this is how you treat people who care?

If you need food, we Igbos can always export the food to you. For a good price. grin
Just in case you start complaining for the Yorubas starts showing their concern for the Igbo people. Seriously, One Naija grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 4:18am On Sep 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Just in case you start complaining for the Yorubas starts showing their concern for the Igbo people. Seriously, One Naija grin

Oh my Ekiti dear, you must take me there one day. Show me what Ekiti has to offer. wink

Anyway, ONE NAIJA. grin

These food shortages are very worrisome. The southwest needs to become more self-sufficient.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

Oh my Ekiti dear, you must take me there one day. Show me what Ekiti has to offer. wink

Anyway, ONE NAIJA. grin

These food shortages are very worrisome. The southwest needs to become more self-sufficient.
Go and ask Aigbofa, am sure he wouldnt mind showing you Ekiti wink Yes, they need to become more sufficient. But try to take the log out of your eyes first, food shortages is common in Nigeria, so it make no sense to joke about an issue like this. Kapish, omo okoro? wink
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 5:19am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

I guess we should now focus more on mechanized farming. A lot of "Yamiri" who used to help on the farms are now on Nairaland typing garbage and offering to export food to Yorubaland!!
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 5:26am On Sep 17, 2010
Aigbofa:

I guess we should now focus more on mechanized farming. A lot "Yamiri" who used to help on the farms are now on Nairaland typing garbage and offering to export food to Yorubaland!!

Hey take it or leave it. cool
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 5:54am On Sep 17, 2010
chyz:

Hey take it or leave it. cool

Would they rather starve than be fed by an Igbo man?

This is too much! shocked
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by tpiah: 5:55am On Sep 17, 2010
i'd shut up if i were either of you.

what an empty headed young man cant see standing up, his elders can see sitting down.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 6:25am On Sep 17, 2010
tpiah:

i'd shut up if i were either of you.

what an empty headed young man cant see standing up, his elders can see sitting down.

Why don't you make me you old hag? angry

Ungrateful bunch. I am trying to come up with solutions to solve this problem in the S/west and this is how you pay me?
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by tpiah: 6:28am On Sep 17, 2010
^^look, you ugly old crab, na your own i dey tell you.

make katakata no pafuka your sorry life.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by TewMuch: 6:34am On Sep 17, 2010
@Chyz,
Leave it.When it comes to yams sef,Yoruba's prefer ekiti yams.They are sweet for poundo nd eating.Not the agric yams in the east.We have enough arable land to produce our own food.Nd we never complained to anyone that we were starving.These are actually farmer's coming out to make a difference not begging for handout.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 6:41am On Sep 17, 2010
tpiah:

Speak in English woman. You speak English like OBJ. grin grin grin grin grin

Go back to your culture section where you are much nicer.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 17, 2010
tpiah:

ROTFL!!! grin grin grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 6:46am On Sep 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFL!!! grin grin grin

You are like salt to a wound. Any enemy of EzeUche is your friend right? angry
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

Nah.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by tpiah: 6:52am On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

didnt i tell you to quit this thread?

food for thought:

if you spent more time cultivating good manners and less time being the uncivilized agbero tout that you are, maybe you wouldnt need to be always crying over enemies.

olodo jatijati.

anu mpam.

the shadows wey you dey chase, na them go destroy you.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 7:02am On Sep 17, 2010
TewMuch:

@Chyz,
Leave it.When it comes to yams sef,Yoruba's prefer ekiti yams.They are sweet for poundo nd eating.Not the agric yams in the east.We have enough arable land to produce our own food.Nd we never complained to anyone that we were starving.These are actually farmer's coming out to make a difference not begging for handout.

yea obviously your "arable" land aint producing nothing especially since you all suffered when the north stopped hand feeding you. grin
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by EzeUche22(m): 7:02am On Sep 17, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin

tpiah you never disappoint.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 17, 2010
It's unfortunate you two fools can come here to bandy tribal sentiments because 'Alaigbo' will never experience food shortages.

Ask me why? 90% of Ndigbo have fled your dying, erosion ravaged villages to go hustle in the Southwest, which is one more reason that region has got too many mouths to feed. The Hausas did a good job of confining you to the sabongaris (with the ever present threat of sectarian violence) so your people can't really grow up North.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by chyz(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2010
ziddy:

It's unfortunate you two fools can come here to bandy tribal sentiments because 'Alaigbo' will never experience food shortages.

Ask me why? 90% of Ndigbo have fled your dying, erosion ravaged villages to go hustle in the Southwest
, which is one more reason that region has got too many mouths to feed. The Hausas did a good job of confining you to the sabongaris (with the ever present threat of sectarian violence) so your people can't really grow up North.

Its sad how we offer u ingrates some help on food supply and you steadily act hostile.If you like,starve, thats your business. The North puts food in you peoples mouths, the East puts clothes on your backs and this is how you repay us? angry. Food for thought, "Don't Bite the Dyck That Feeds You" cool
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by hercules07: 9:14am On Sep 17, 2010
If the Northerners withold agricultural produce from all of the south, we will all suffer. The reason it was acute in Lagos was because they singled out Lagos because of the extortion going on. We need to be self sufficient as a nation not as a region, there are some produce that can not be effectively cultivated anywhere else except in the North. The Kolanut that you guys love so much comes from the West, we all depend on ourselves for survival.
Re: Political Farmers Cause Food Shortage In S/west by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 17, 2010
chyz:

Its sad how we offer u ingrates some help on food supply and you steadily act hostile.If you like,starve, thats your business. The North puts food in you peoples mouths, the East puts clothes on your backs and this is how you repay us? angry. Food for thought, "Don't Bite the Dyck That Feeds You" cool

Olodo. Where are the textile mills that 'put clothes on your backs' from the east.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If He Has Nod Died / Sanusi Lamido Is Nothing But A Bitter, Foolish Bigot / Nasarawa Youth Attack Maku, Ewuga, Others, Burn Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.