Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 (24158 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 2:31pm On Sep 15, 2010
1   Angas
2   Bariba
3   Batta
4   Birom
5   Boki
6   Bussawa
7   Chamba
8   Dukawa
9   Edo
10   Ekoi/Ibibio/Efik
11   Gwari
12   Hausa/Fulani
13   Idoma
14   Igala
15   Igbirra
16   Igbo
17   Ijaw
18   Jarawa
19   Jukun
20   Kambari
21   Kamuku
22   Kanuri
23   Kare
24   Katab
25   Longuda
26   Marghi
27   Mumuye
28   Ningawa
29   Nupe
30   Ogoni
31   Tangale
32   Tiv
33   Urhobo
34   Yoruba
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2010
You're not serious.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2010
I thought my thread was controversial. Where do we start?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 15, 2010
Itsekiri is technically not a tribe. It is a dialect of the Yoruba tribe!

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2010
Separate discussion Omonuan.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 11:12pm On Sep 15, 2010
omonuan:

Itsekiri is technically not a tribe. It is a dialect of the Yoruba tribe!

You're right. Though they are not contiguous with the Yoruba nation, and considering Bonny case, I've taken it off the list.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 12:11am On Sep 16, 2010
Obiagu1:

You're right. Though they are not contiguous with the Yoruba nation, and considering Bonny case, I've taken it off the list.

What do you use to judge what an ethnic group is and isn't, is it language, culture, lineage or any kind of close association, like through trade and marriage, or proximity of native land?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 1:19am On Sep 16, 2010
ezeagu:

What do you use to judge what an ethnic group is and isn't, is it language, culture, lineage or any kind of close association, like through trade and marriage, or proximity of native land?

Mostly language, including all its varieties, that’s the number priority; then culture, similar or related but not total.

Lineage and common migration counts but not a priority because people always infuse and diffuse from an ethnic group.

Defined territory (contiguous or in close proximity) counts too, hence Hausa/Fulani can’t be separated. Nomads like Fulani are known to be very migratory and are scattered everywhere in West and Central Africa, though they retain their culture and language and mostly maintain their distinctness.

Trade and marriage do not count.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Gamine(f): 8:31pm On Sep 16, 2010
I don't know where all these Igbo people are coming from with authority on ethnic groups and language
puzzling
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 8:51pm On Sep 16, 2010
Gamine:

I don't know where all these Igbo people are coming from with authority on ethnic groups and language
puzzling

Really dumb post.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2010
I don't see this topic going anywhere.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Gamine(f): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2010
There is no where for it to go to except the recycle bin.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2010
Gamine:

puzzling

. . . because we are not interested in socio-political groupings. cool
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 10:19pm On Sep 16, 2010
Obiagu1:

. . . because we are not interested in socio-political groupings.  cool
You're not serious. . .
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by AndreUweh(m): 10:48pm On Sep 16, 2010
What of Egun language spoken in Lagos state.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by chyz(m): 11:06pm On Sep 16, 2010
ChinenyeN:

You're not serious. . .

Meaning?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 11:27pm On Sep 16, 2010
. . . that he's not serious.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Gamine(f): 11:43pm On Sep 16, 2010
lol. grin
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by chyz(m): 12:06am On Sep 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

. . . that he's not serious.

well i guess you two have something in common.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 12:24am On Sep 17, 2010
chyz:

well i guess you two have something in common.
My Chi Forbid.

Anyway, Chyz, anyone with proper understanding of this issue knows that mode of speech does not equal ethnicity. Obiagu1 basically gave a list of broad mode of speech categorizations and then labeled it "ethnicity". Then he continues on by stating that the Igbo are not concerned with socio-political groupings, when our obviously decentralized, non-cohesive nature states otherwise.

He's not serious.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by chyz(m): 12:31am On Sep 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

My Chi Forbid.

Anyway, Chyz, anyone with proper understanding of this issue knows that mode of speech does not equal ethnicity. Obiagu1 basically gave a list of broad mode of speech categorizations and then labeled it "ethnicity". Then he continues on by stating that the Igbo are not concerned with socio-political groupings, when obviously our decentralized, non-cohesive nature states otherwise.

He's not serious.

I hear where you are coming from to an extent but what constitutes one's "ethnicity"?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 12:53am On Sep 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

What of Egun language spoken in Lagos state.

I don't know whether Egun language is a dialect of Yoruba language but I think they are part of Yoruba ethnic nationality.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 12:55am On Sep 17, 2010
@ ChinenyeN

Why are you struggling to make yourself relevant?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 1:15am On Sep 17, 2010
Chyz, the issue of ethnicity is as complicated as the issue of language (from what I've observed, because there is no universal definition). But, there are some factors that many people would/could consider fundamental to an individual's membership in an ethnic community. Those are. . .

1. Can said individual be considered "child of soil"? Does the person in question have a right of the soil?
2. Can said individual be considered as having blood affiliation to said ethnic community?
3. What is the individual's social or cultural affiliation to the culture-group in question?

A combination of these three factors tend to shed light on people's ethnic membership, and by the light that these factors shed, we can somewhat gain a sense of what really constitutes ethnicity. The topic of ethnicity still proves almost as problematic as the topic of language, though.

Now, I, in particular, am likely (at least, based off the above three fundamental factors) to view ethnicity as [in some way] constituting identification and consciousness. How such identification occurs, or how such a consciousness is perpetuated though, seems to be secondary. If you want, I could expand on this part, but the number one thing that I would think as justly constituting ethnicity is identification and consciousness.

But that's just my understanding from the much I know and have observed. If you need anything to be further explained, feel free to say so.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On Sep 17, 2010
When did Edo become a language? I only know of Bini, etsako etc.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Gamine(f): 8:17pm On Sep 17, 2010
afam4eva:

When did Edo become a language? I only know of Bini, etsako etc.

Obviously Ignorant
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by PhysicsQED(m): 4:21pm On Sep 20, 2010
Itsekiri is missing.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 1:31am On Sep 21, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Itsekiri is missing.

Itsekiri is under Yoruba ethnic group.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by PhysicsQED(m): 5:42pm On Sep 22, 2010
They're "mixed" though. Not "pure" Yoruba. They have other genes and other influences. They're a different group.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 12:10am On Sep 24, 2010
^^^

Yeah I know but they still speak a dialect of Yoruba and belong to Afenifere. So I think being classed as a clan of Yoruba is a fair assessment of the Itsekiri people.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by udezue(m): 2:56am On Sep 24, 2010
Nigeria definitely doesn't have 250 ethnic groups. Its a damn lie. Itsekiri is bleeping Yoruba. My cousin's name is Temisa. Due to proximity they do have other influences but overall the Yoruba is the most dominant.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 1:48am On Sep 27, 2010
hausa's are quite different from fulani the hausa are those people that are indigenous to the northern part of nigeria commonly referred to as maguzawa by the fulani's because they worshiped idols or were atheists while the fulani like said above migrated from God knows where. the fulani have their own language which is quite distinct from hausa and are well known tribalists many up till this day refuse to marry from outside their tribe even hausas

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown / Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.