Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,519 members, 7,836,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Can This Be True? Read The First Comment - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Can This Be True? Read The First Comment (348 Views)

Man Receives Formal Warning From UK Government Regarding Social Media Comment / I Now Understand Trump's "Shithole" Comment About Africa, Uhuru Kenyatta / AU Reacts To Donald Trump's "Shithole Countries" Comment About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can This Be True? Read The First Comment by Mizwisdom(f): 10:14am On Apr 18, 2019

Finding the Right Care Home for the Elderly: A Quick Guide

7h ago

agingcarecare homeparentsseniors

Many adults face the decision of where to place an elderly parent or another relative. It is a difficult choice and one not be take lightly. Hopefully this guide helps make the process a bit easier.

Visit When Women Inspire for the full post.

MORE IN WHEN WOMEN INSPIRE

Is Moving Elderly Parents into Your Home a Good Idea?

As we grow older, it can be difficult witnessing the advancing years of our parents. The once spritely, physically fit, and super alert parents that you once…

Elderly Loneliness: 5 Ways to Help Your Aging Parent

Anyone with aging parents knows that it can be a real challenge to prevent them from feeling lonely. How to fight elderly loneliness effectively is a common…

2 COMMENTS

dancingpalmtrees

4h ago

In the states it’s a Challenge based on what you can afford. I would advise young people to get Long Term care insurance. Medicare does not pay for nursing home facilities. Also if you try to transfer your parents assets to yourself or your siblings Uncle Sam will find that money and take everything. Basically your Elderly parents will lose all their assets to the US Government before you or they can apply for Medicaid.

I remember in 1995 my Dad needed to be in a Veteran nursing home. That’s when I was hit with the rude awakening that Long Term care and Veterans nursing homes are not free so despite the fact that my Dad served during the Korean War it didn’t matter.
However God decided that it was time for him to be in his heavenly home and Daddy went to be with the Lord within less than two weeks. That was my horror story involving my Dad. I won’t discuss the hell I went through caring for my Mom who had severe disabilities including blindness towards the end of her life.

Being that I never married nor had children I have no one to care for me if I become I’ll, sick or incapacitated. And even though I’m a US Army Veteran I know that the government won’t help me.

My prayer is that I will die in my sleep. American medical care is a nightmare that nobody should have to navigate.
Re: Can This Be True? Read The First Comment by budaatum: 2:11pm On Apr 18, 2019
Yes it's true. In UK you pay a portion of your 'you are old' care. If you have a house, they'll care for you on credit and take payment from your estate when you die. And that's apart from the inheritance tax rate of 40% on the part of your estate that's above the tax-free threshold of £325,000. By the time your days end there might be nothing left for your children to inherit!

You might see why euthanasia must be discouraged. Some might just kill off their parents to save a few bob.

1 Like

Re: Can This Be True? Read The First Comment by Mizwisdom(f): 7:18am On Apr 26, 2019
budaatum:
Yes it's true. In UK you pay a portion of your 'you are old' care. If you have a house, they'll care for you on credit and take payment from your estate when you die. And that's apart from the inheritance tax rate of 40% on the part of your estate that's above the tax-free threshold of £325,000. By the time your days end there might be nothing left for your children to inherit!

You might see why euthanasia must be discouraged. Some might just kill off their parents to save a few bob.

It's like the developed world have perfected the art of reaping where they didn't sow.
I didn't know it was that bad, very informative.

(1) (Reply)

New Footage Shows Sri Lanka Bombers Praying In A Mosque Before The Attack (video / London Police Push For Prosecution Of 1,130 Climate Change Protesters (Photos) / Iran Is Playing With Fire - Donald Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.