Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,689 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings (8140 Views)

Tooth Decay And Cavities / A Major Culprit In Infertility Cases In Nigeria / Annovulation - A Major Culprit In Infertility Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Dentalgist: 9:56am On Apr 20, 2019
A new study by researchers at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Dentistry provides the first evidence that the body’s own defence system could be a major contributor to tooth decay and filling failure.

Published in biomedical journal Acta Biomaterialia last week, the study shows that the decay of dentin (that hard substance beneath the tooth’s enamel) and fillings is caused not just by bacteria alone – as has been the model understood by science for decades – but through the unique activity of oral immune cells known as neutrophils, which potentially enhance the effects of bacteria.

“No one would believe that our immune system would play a part in creating cavities,” says Associate Professor Yoav Finer, the lead author of the study and the George Zarb/Nobel Biocare chair in prosthodontics at the Faculty of Dentistry. “Now we have evidence.”

Recognized as important players in combating inflammation in all parts of the body, neutrophils are a type of short-lived innate immune system cell that enter the oral cavity from the gums around the roots of the teeth.

When bacteria invade the oral cavity, the body sends out neutrophils to attack. But as the neutrophils track down and destroy the invading bacteria, they may cause destruction to the localized environment as well as to the bacteria.

“It’s like when you take a sledgehammer to hit a fly on the wall,” Finer says. “That’s what happens when neutrophils fight invaders.”

It’s not just the force of the neutrophil invasion, however, but the byproducts of the attacks that cause the damage.

On their own, neutrophils are incapable of causing damage to the teeth, explains Finer: “They don’t have acid, so they can’t do much to mineralized tooth structures.”

But when neutrophils engage in attack, the acids produced by the oral bacteria demineralize the tooth. That’s when enzymes from both the immune cells as well as their targets rapaciously eat through teeth, and can also cause collateral damage to tooth-coloured fillings.

And it’s a speedy process: “Within hours,” the researchers found, dentin and tooth-coloured fillings sustain damage.

“It’s a collaboration of destruction – with different motives,” says study author Michael Glogauer, professor at the Faculty of Dentistry and acting chief dentist at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.

Corroborating previous studies conducted by the group, the research could also explain why so many patients whose caries are treated with tooth-coloured fillings face high rates of recurrence of the disease. Most tooth-coloured fillings fail within five to seven years, costing Canadians an estimated $3 billion a year.

“Ours is the first basic study to show that neutrophils can break down resin composites (tooth-coloured fillings) and demineralize tooth dentin,” says master’s student and first author of the paper, Russel Gitalis. “This suggests that neutrophils could contribute to tooth decay and recurrent caries.”

Gitalis hopes the study will lead to new assessments for caries risk and treatment strategies.

While the study provides the first direct evidence that an immune response may contribute to tooth decay, it also opens up new avenues for research.

“We can develop new methods to prevent immune-mediated destruction of teeth,” says Glogauer.

The findings may also one day lead to new standards for testing filling materials, says Finer, who argues that materials need to face trial within the collaborative destruction lab to pass muster.

“We need to test interactions with the body and bacteria,” he adds.

https://dentalgist.ng/immune-system-is-potential-culprit-in-causing-cavities-damaging-fillings

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Goodbyerichdad: 2:08pm On Apr 20, 2019
shocked
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Satan66(m): 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2019
The human body is honestly weak in almost every way when compared to wild animals.
The body is designed for intelligent thinking apart from that we are literally prey without our guns or weapons.

7 Likes

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by KingLennon(m): 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2019
Neutrophils. I learnt something new today. God is really wonderful. All this happens without our control o

4 Likes

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Decolonel(m): 2:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
What of eating kpekus? grin

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by damosade(m): 2:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
Hen hen....
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Satan66(m): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2019
Science is simply astonishing shocked
And some folks believe in spiritual healing.

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Breezy90(m): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2019
Solid research
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by meobizy(f): 2:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
I don’t believe it.
If there is a small chance of it being true I can honestly say a cocktail of sticky sugary foods will do more damage than one’s immune function can.
My first cavity was gotten not by increased stress (resulting in lowered cellular immunity) but by consuming chocolate bars every other day.

5 Likes

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by KingLennon(m): 2:18pm On Apr 20, 2019
meobizy:
I don’t believe it.
If there is a small chance of it being true I can honestly say a cocktail of sticky sugary foods will do more damage than one’s immune function can.
My first cavity was gotten not by increased stress (resulting in lowered cellular immunity) but by consuming chocolate bars every other day.
Do you know more than science? You did not even understand the message

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by meobizy(f): 2:20pm On Apr 20, 2019
KingLennon:

Do you know more than science? You did not even understand the message
I hope you know there is more than one way to an outcome.

5 Likes

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by KingLennon(m): 2:28pm On Apr 20, 2019
meobizy:

I hope you know there is more than one way to an outcome.
Yes we know. The researcher is not saying tooth cavity can't be gotten from what you stated above. But he is saying that the Immune system which fights it can caused it like leaving a scar after fighting it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Izecson3D(m): 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2019
coreon11:
Happy weekend Congrats to all my winners yesterday , let do more today , Call or WhatsApp.
Lol, why u no stake ur last winning on the new bet buy benz U still dey find buyers

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Meel: 2:38pm On Apr 20, 2019
i believe most white blood cells like neutrophils uses Reactive Oxygen species ( hydroperoxy, hydrogen peroxide) , lysosome as medium in destroying bacteria's and other pathogenic microbes in the body.

This ROS they use are free radicals , and free radicals are known for causing oxidative damage. So stimulation of immunocompetent cells to produce polymorphonuclear Neutrophils will lead to production of free radicals then decay of cavity, if its not properly regulated by cytokines and other growth factor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by peacettw: 2:59pm On Apr 20, 2019
The research should have focused more on the bacteria that triggers the onslaught by the said neutrophils. How can we prevent it?

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Onyenna(m): 3:27pm On Apr 20, 2019
Wow...
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Mrluv(m): 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2019
Satan66:
The human body is honestly weak in almost every way when compared to wild animals.
The body is designed for intelligent thinking apart from that we are literally prey without our guns or weapons.
true.after i have seen what other animal can do and the ability they have. most animal can swin by default some can climb wall other can fly and some can run fast and most animal can see clearly at night.what about cat that animal can fall from heaven it would not die and they are fast too.when it come to human if not for our brain there would be nothing special about us because we are the most weak creature

2 Likes

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Westsida: 3:53pm On Apr 20, 2019
I really don’t think this is true.
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by maasoap(m): 5:21pm On Apr 20, 2019
Westsida:
I really don’t think this is true.

Because it is a new study.
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Ameboperoo(m): 7:23pm On Apr 20, 2019
Mrluv:
true.after i have seen what other animal can do and the ability they have. most animal can swin by default some can climb wall other can fly and some can run fast and most animal can see clearly at night.what about cat that animal can fall from heaven it would not die and they are fast too.when it come to human if not for our brain there would be nothing special about us because we are the most weak creature
Besides the brain, we walk on 2 limbs and our forelimbs are free for doing other things. We walk upright and can see far around us. We see in colours, that helps us to enjoy beauty of nature.
Our language helps us to communicate better with each other. We are social and help each other out, defend our race better
Mention one animal that enjoy all this put together

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Ameboperoo(m): 7:25pm On Apr 20, 2019
Ameboperoo:

Besides the brain, we walk on 2 limbs and our forelimbs are free for doing other things. We walk upright and can see far around us. We see in colours, that helps us to enjoy beauty of nature.
Our language helps us to communicate better with each other. We are social and help each other out, defend our race better
Satan66:
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Satan66(m): 9:46pm On Apr 20, 2019
Ameboperoo:

There are various species of animals that can do this.
Lions fight and defend for each other in the same pride.
They can see at night as well.
Chimps do this as well. They defend each other and have the same structure with humans but their bodies and skin are far now tougher and stronger than ours.
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Goddys(m): 12:47am On Apr 21, 2019
Satan66:

There are various species of animals that can do this.
Lions fight and defend for each other in the same pride.
They can see at night as well.
Chimps do this as well. They defend each other and have the same structure with humans but their bodies and skin are far now tougher and stronger than ours.
If our body is as tough as that of chimp, how do we enjoy the softness of our women bodies and the warmth underneath. The ability to enjoy sex supercedes all other argument.

Only dolphin and humans have sex for pleasure. Others do it instinctually to procreatr
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Satan66(m): 6:51am On Apr 21, 2019
Goddys:

If our body is as tough as that of chimp, how do we enjoy the softness of our women bodies and the warmth underneath. The ability to enjoy sex supercedes all other argument.

Only dolphin and humans have sex for pleasure. Others do it instinctually to procreatr
Very stupid way of thinking.
This sex for "pleasure" has only brought about rape and prostitution.
If chimps were programmed to have sex for pleasure they'd still enjoy whether their skin were soft or strong.
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Tooshallpass: 9:50pm On Jul 28, 2019
meobizy:
I don’t believe it.

Sir, how did you fix the cavity ? I’m experiencing mine right away.

Hope for your response, thanks.
Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by meobizy(f): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
Tooshallpass:

Sir, how did you fix the cavity ? I’m experiencing mine right away.

Hope for your response, thanks.
I haven’t fixed mine because it is still very little. The only active approach I take is eat mostly natural foods, brush my teeth for longer than before and consume sugary foods sparingly.
It’s over seven years now and I don’t have any major pain linked to it.

1 Like

Re: Immune System Is Potential Culprit In Causing Cavities, Damaging Fillings by Tooshallpass: 10:12pm On Jul 28, 2019
meobizy:

I haven’t fixed mine because it is still very little. The only active approach I take is eat mostly natural foods, brush my teeth for longer than before and consume sugary foods sparingly.
It’s over seven years now and I don’t have any major pain linked to it.

Holy Jesus. Seven years or seven months ?

You mean you’ve actually been dealing with a hole in your teeth for about seven years now? Are you for for real like how’s it been like having a hole in a Teeth for seven years?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can't Sleep Because Of Bed Bugs. What Should I Do? / The Health Benefits Of The Plantain Leaf / NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.