Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals (8158 Views)

NAFDAC Bans Dex Luxury Bar Soap In Nigeria / LASG Bans Use Of Residential Premises As Burial Sites, Embalmment Centres / NAFDAC Bans Sniper Insecticide In Open Markets, Supermarkets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by nlfpmod: 3:42pm On Nov 07, 2023
Regulatory directive on ban on the use of Ethoxyquin as antioxidant

POLICY ON THE BAN ON THE USE OF ETHOXYQUIN AS AN ANTIOXIDANT IN FEED OF FOOD-PRODUCING ANIMALS

INTRODUCTION

Different processes may occur during the storage of animal feed which alter their initial natural proprieties. Lipids, for example, undergo peroxidation. the process during which they deteriorate in a free radical autocatalytic oxidation chain reaction with atmospheric oxygen.

Ethoxyquin (EQ, 6-ethoxy- I, 241ihydro-2. 2. 4-trimethylquinoline) is widely used in animal feed in order to protect it against lipid peroxidation. It cannot be used in any food for human consumption, but it can pass from feed to farmed fish, poultry, and eggs, so human beings can be exposed to this antioxidant.

DIRECTIVE

Lipid autooxidation is a cascade phenomenon ensuring continuous delivery of free radicals, which initiate continuous peroxidation. This results in food rancidity which manifests itself as the change of taste, scent, and color and a decrease A the shelf life of the product.

Antioxidants (Natural or synthetic) He usually used to slow down or stop lipid peroxidation and in consequence to preserve the freshness of the product.

The third compound, EQ. is one of the best-known feed antioxidants for domestic animals and fish. Its unquestionable advantage is its high antioxidant capacity and low production costs. However, some of the authors have suggested that it is responsible for a wide range of health-related problems in dogs as well as in humans e.g. Cancer.

In view of the foregoing, therefore, the use of ethoxyquin as an antioxidant in feed of food-producing animals is banned in animal feed.

Prof. Christianah Mojisola Adeyeye, FAS Director General, NAFDAC

Source: NAFDAC NIGERIA

7 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by HEBEI: 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2023
Nafdac died with Dora akunyili.
Since her demise, nafdac has never been the same.

This one na initial gragra shocked

23 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by tiswell(m): 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2023
shocked
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Yugoslavia247(m): 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2023
Cancer

Na another wahala from processed foods
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Yenefer(f): 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2023
Nigeria
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Urheadmaster(m): 3:47pm On Nov 07, 2023
angry

NAFDAC just saved the lives of PBATS

Kudos to NAFDAC they are doing well tongue

5 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by ojun50(m): 3:48pm On Nov 07, 2023
Yenefer:
Nigeria

Our country
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by DDIA: 3:48pm On Nov 07, 2023
Some girls I know here on Nairaland will start using it hoping it will preserve their kpekus from dilapidating further. grin

3 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Horus(m): 3:49pm On Nov 07, 2023
The EU also banned the use of ethoxyquin in 2022 because of adverse effects on the health of animals, people, or the environment

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Kachidubem: 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Cancer

Na another wahala from processed foods
To even buy frozen chicken dey fear me.... na only live chicken wey I kill with my hand I dey chop

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by DaTruths: 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2023
Agbado miscreants can't open this thread, they are bunch of illiterates, that's why they voted for a Vegetable.

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Demurray: 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2023
Kudos to NAFDAC, keep working
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Inkling(f): 4:02pm On Nov 07, 2023
Good

[b]Another one is fluoridated tooth paste. Fluoride has being caught up in some bad activities and because of that he must be banished from toothpaste.[b/]
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Olaskybab: 4:02pm On Nov 07, 2023
HEBEI:

I'm tired of seeing this old talk. It costs you nothing to appreciate great and pro-active moves.

11 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by OlujobaSamuel: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2023
Kachidubem:

To even buy frozen chicken dey fear me.... na only live chicken wey I kill with my hand I dey chop
Lol, this addictive is not used on frozen but on feeds, which the live bird you bought consume.

HEBEI:

The person that started a revolution is usually remember more, not because such is the best hand (this is not to take away Dora's feat, best so far) but because such is the face of the new system. As at date, Nafdac of Dora's dream is having a ray of light under this woman unlike those before her that sees it as a revenue scheme for govt and themselves. She has been repositioning it as a control agency

5 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by iammolise(m): 4:04pm On Nov 07, 2023
Watin concern 'FFO' Nigerians with Ethoxyquin Antioxidants and all that peroxidation bruh aha. Make we sha see things buy cheap chop belle full fess... All kpi na kpi wether na antioxidants kill u abi na ampiclous. Mtcheww! lipsrsealed
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Ikaeniyan0: 4:06pm On Nov 07, 2023
HEBEI:

Break the law and you will know if nafdac is effective or not

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by kennyz247(m): 4:08pm On Nov 07, 2023
Funny
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by LIVINGICONREBOR: 4:11pm On Nov 07, 2023
HEBEI:

You must be a stupid fellow. How does this your post correlate with the headline? 🤔

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Kcfresh2103(m): 4:12pm On Nov 07, 2023
sad This agency that year, Onitsha people hear am hot from the late Dora.
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by drimzsmoke(m): 4:13pm On Nov 07, 2023
Everybody should just be taking glutathione.
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by airsaylongcome: 4:14pm On Nov 07, 2023
HEBEI:

The incumbent, I believe, is doing a lot of good work in that space. It's just that they are not as media savvy. And Dora(+) was a warrior going head-on against her "brothers". When "siblings" fight, it can be very messy

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by RevenuesBoost(f): 4:30pm On Nov 07, 2023
Okay
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by PHAYOL81: 4:37pm On Nov 07, 2023
Good work there NAFDAC. Hope our farmers listen because the health of the nation partly rest on the result of their produces

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by AareGaa: 4:42pm On Nov 07, 2023
HEBEI:

Mumu biaflans.

NAFDAC is still very efficient
NAFDAC is bigger than Dora.

Illiterate biaflans
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by Zooposki(f): 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2023
DDIA:
Some girls I know here on Nairaland will start using it hoping it will preserve their kpekus from dilapidating further. grin

You can always spot people with poverty mentality from a mile away. I bet you live in face me, I face you.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by LAXconfidential(m): 4:56pm On Nov 07, 2023
PHAYOL81:
Good work there NAFDAC. Hope our farmers listen because the health of the nation partly rest on the result of their produces

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by LAXconfidential(m): 4:56pm On Nov 07, 2023
airsaylongcome:

The incumbent, I believe, is doing a lot of good work in that space. It's just that they are not as media savvy. And Dora(+) was a warrior going head-on against her "brothers". When "siblings" fight, it can be very messy
Re: NAFDAC Bans Use Of Ethoxyquin As Antioxidant In Feed Of Food-producing Animals by LAXconfidential(m): 5:01pm On Nov 07, 2023
Kcfresh2103:
sad This agency that year, Onitsha people hear am hot from the late Dora.
wl

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can't Sleep Because Of Bed Bugs. What Should I Do? / Bleaching Can Kill You! All You Need To Know About Skin Whitening / Help Help Oo! What Do I Do Or Eat To Gain Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.