Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week (9762 Views)

Tinubu Never Challenged Forfeiture Order - Peter Obi Tells Tribunal / FG Takes 40 Ekweremadu’s Properties, Secures Interim Forfeiture Order / Balances On Onnoghen’s 5 Bank Accounts Released By Ifeoma Okeagbue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by jossytech(m): 6:43am On Apr 21, 2019
Keep money in crypto. They won't listen. Go n freeze blochchain n coinbase. Old men and their old idea
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Eagle75: 6:58am On Apr 21, 2019
AgamaProf:
What's the hope of common man when the juciary is corrupt as the executives. In a sane society, the juciary checkmates the activities of the executives. Independent and fairness in the discharge of judgement are two qualities the judiciary should exude.

There's more to the trial of this man...let's not be deceived.

The Prosecution Of Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen And President Buhari's Fight Against Corruption

By Tanko Yakasai

The outcome of the trial of the recently retired Chief Justice Of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, did not come to most Nigerians, members of the diplomatic community, and the international community in general as a surprise, given the way and the haste with which the trial was prosecuted and concluded.

It will be recalled that the matter started with a petition written to the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) by a political gladiator called Dennis Aghanya in January 7, 2019. The man was a political associate of President Muhammadu Buhari from their days in the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), in which President Buhari was the presidential candidate of the party during the 2011 presidential election, whilst Dennis Aghanya served as National Publicity Secretary of that party.

After the collapsed of the CPC into what we now know as the All Progressive Congress (APC) under which platform General Muhammadu Buhari became Nigeria's president, Dennis Aghanya has been in the corridors of power in the presidency.

The man wrote his petition on January 7, which he submitted to the CCB, after two days. It took the CCB only two days to investigate all the allegations the man made against Hon. Justice Walter Onnoghen; and concluded the investigation, and forwarded the matter to the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT). It took the CCT one day to prepare their charges against Justice Onnoghen. He was asked to appear before the Tribunal in a matter of six days from the first day the petition was written to the CCB.

Honourable Justice Onnoghen challenged the competence of the Tribunal to try him, being a judicial officer. The matter went to the Court of Appeal and eventually, the CCT proceeded with the trial of the case without resolving the issue of jurisdiction raised by Honourable Onnoghen's defence.

During the pendency of the case, the Tribunal, contrary to the known rules of trial, recommended the suspension of the Chief Justice of the Federation to President Buhari, who with lightening speed, suspended Honourable Justice Onnoghen and appointed Honourable Justice Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed as the acting Chief Justice of the Federation.

All in all, the whole matter was decided from the beginning to the end in a period of three and a half months. Many people believe that the issue of the recent presidential election played a significant role in the abnormal speed leading to the unusual rush to get rid of the former Chief Justice of the Federation to facilitate the emergence of a Supreme Court leadership favourable to some officials in the presidency.

It is true that the main slogan of the current administration is to fight corruption which is acclaimed by many Nigerians. The only problem with the administration's anti corruption stance is that the fight is perceived to be lopsided. Otherwise, how can anyone explain the speed with which the case of Justice Onnoghen was rushed, compared with the manner the corruption charges against former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir David Lawal is being handled.

What is interesting in this case is that Babachir's matter started as a result of findings of a Senate Committee that was looking into the matter of the plights of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Yobe state who were abandoned in a very dangerous location surrounded by overgrown weeds, infested with dangerous reptiles such as snakes and scorpions and other vicious animals.

Concerned by that ugly condition, the Senate Committee reported the matter to the Senate in a plenary session. Part of the findings of the Committee is that contracts worth hundred of millions was awarded to a contractor who was fully paid upfront and the contractor abandoned the site without doing the work for which he was given the job and after collecting the total contract sum.

The Committee, chaired by Senator Shehu Sani, representing Kaduna Central Senatorial District, discovered that the company to which the contract for the clearing of the weeds in that camp was awarded to a company said to be owned by the then SGF, Babachir Lawal. The Senate reported the findings to President Buhari who, in turn, appointed a Special Committee headed by the Vice Preident, Yomi Osinbajo to look into the matter and report its finding to the President. The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami and the chairman of the Ecinomic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, were among members of that Committee. The Committee, after thorough investigation, confirmed the allegation leveled against the contractors and the then SGF, Babachir, and therefore, submitted their report to President Buhari for further action.

Convinced by the report of the Committee, President Buhari decided to dismiss Babachir Lawal as SGF, and appointed Boss Gidahyelda Mustapha as his replacement. All in all, the case of Babachir took more than two years from the time the matter was submitted to President Buhari. This case has never been diligently prosecuted. It is still pending.

If President Buhari is so committed in fighting corruption, why is it that the case of Babachir was handled diferently from that of Honourable Justice Onnoghen. Lawyers say justice must not be done, but be seen to have been done.

By S. A. Tanko Yakasai (OFR)
Kawaji Quarters, Nassarawa Local Government, Kano

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by candygist: 7:08am On Apr 21, 2019
mobi99:
I hope this same thing should be done to others especially Amechi, tinumbu, oshomlw, okorocha, lia Mohammed, TA orji of abia, Gandijw, el rufai, am sure one of them if not all didn't declare their whole asset before taking public office, if we want to tackle corruption it should be in a holistic manner ..thank u

Have you made your research ? Don't just come out and say nonsense
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by omenkaLives(m): 7:12am On Apr 21, 2019
escodotman:
Don't rejoice yet because the CCT corrupt judgment obtained by the cabal has been appealed. So, no bank is taking delivery of any forfeiture order yet, and even if they do, it can't be acted upon.
Look young man, I don't care how the judgement was ontianed and from whom. I rejoice anytime any of those thieving elites, be they in the executive, legislature, or the judiciary , but as the dust. They are the reason behind the sorry state of this nation as we see it today.

I think you should also develop that mindset. Except of course you're a beneficiary of their criminality.
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Godson26: 7:15am On Apr 21, 2019
If onoghen has a competent lawyer at the appeal court he may overturned this and danladi erred in law so far he is a puppet to the executive one day he will be hunted and will have no saviour.

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Olanipekun1: 7:17am On Apr 21, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:
Look young man, I don't care how the judgement was ontianed and from whom. I rejoice anytime any of those thieving elites, be they in the executive, legislature, or the judiciary , but as the dust. They are the reason behind the sorry state of this nation as we see it today.

I think you should also develop that mindset. Except of course you're a beneficiary of their criminality.
[/s]
trash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 21, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by omenkaLives(m): 7:27am On Apr 21, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:

All this your wrong assertion.. if you think Buhari is fighting corruption and not blocking and witch hunting those he was told will block his way to showcase his dictatorial nature.. then u are a learner.. If he wants to fight corruption every politicians including him should be k1lled for Nigeria to get on track because all of them from A to Z are corrupt.
Ho and hang with them whenever they get hanged if that serves the purpose of your existence better. The better for Nigeria.

By the way, you should be more concerned about what happens in biafla and Cameroon and stop getting feverish over Nigerian affairs. cheesy

Pained little kids. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Olanipekun1: 7:30am On Apr 21, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:
Ho and hang with them whenever they get hanged if that serves the purpose of your existence better. The better for Nigeria.

By the way, you should be more concerned about what happens in biafla and Cameroon and stop getting feverish over Nigerian affairs. cheesy

Pained little kids. cheesy
[/s]
childish talk
you should be more concerned about your Benue state fulani herdsmen are ravaging grin
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Realbelieveer(m): 7:55am On Apr 21, 2019
Kill him or free him.. Na una sabi. Even if he wins. I no gain anything
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by tuniski: 8:00am On Apr 21, 2019
omenkaLives:
Jubril you mean? Which Buhati are you referring to? Y'all iPods should be consistent for once. Stop embarrassing the purnster. cheesy

In addition, how do you people reconcile tagging one a LIFELESS DULLARD in the morning and calling same man a CONNIVING TYRANT at dawn? How e take John? cheesy
Tyranny and brilliance ain't synonyms rather tyrants use brute to cover their lack of brain!

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by escodotman: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2019
omenkaLives:

Of course you wouldn't care how the judgment was gotten, because it's not one of your gods in the cabal that was affected!
Dude, you claim you want to the judiciary to be above board but the same judiciary (in this case, the CCT) has just dished out an allegedly a corrupt judgment obtained by the conniviance between the executive and danladi, now you tell me, how do you build a corrupt-free country and grow democracy when various institutions that are supposed to dish out justice are desecrated by some few elements? Are you ignorant to the fact that danladi overruled the same judgment he gave just last in the case of Justice Ngwuta just to achieve the aim of the cabal? Do you know that APC cannot be at the center forever? So what if another party gets there tomorrow and also continue to use the CCT against the APC members unconstitutionally? Can you wash a dirty cloth with a gutter water? Is that how to build a long lasting democracy like the developed world?
If you believe it is, then the likes of you are the greatest problem to Nigeria.
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 21, 2019
YoungLionone:
Let me cross my legs and enjoy Nairaland.

I am going to be a Dad, please, what name should I give my baby? Any suggestions?

Why not call him Leonard, after your Nairaland moniker?
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by MillerJnr(m): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2019
omenkaLives:
This man has seen 99 honestly. grin

I just can't wrap my head around the possibility of him having to sleep at night. I mean, how do you do that with all these problemd swirling around you? embarassed

he didn't act smart, he listened to wrong advice, he should have resigned before now.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by maasoap(m): 8:33am On Apr 21, 2019
YoungLionone:
The fight against corruption should be something that we all should embrace but my concern is that, Other Tribes are been targeted more in this fight. Can we also investigate Mr. Tinubu or is he above the law?

What about Amechi? Or Mr. Ganduje?

Anyways, what do I know.

Northerners still form the bulk of tribes that have been sentenced by this administration. So, what are you yapping about saying "other tribes are being targeted"? We need to be very careful with our submissions.
Even if you are correct in your observation, would you prefer all the looters to be left alone if the fight against them wouldn't be holistic and fair along political parties, religions and tribes? What would you gain by allowing all of them to walk away freely instead of seeing few of them behind bars?
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by onyxo76(m): 8:34am On Apr 21, 2019
Just 46m, this one na poor public office holder jare
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by maasoap(m): 8:38am On Apr 21, 2019
onyxo76:
Just 46m, this one na poor public office holder jare

Firstly, he didn't declare the accounts even if they contain 1 million naira. But the accounts are still active with no restrictions on them and you know the things with thieves and corrupt elements, he might have moved the money as quickly as possible.

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by maasoap(m): 8:45am On Apr 21, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:

All this your wrong assertion.. if you think Buhari is fighting corruption and not blocking and witch hunting those he was told will block his way to showcase his dictatorial nature.. then u are a learner.. If he wants to fight corruption every politicians including him should be k1lled for Nigeria to get on track because all of them from A to Z are corrupt.

Just take a look at the rubbish you posted. You want Nigeria to get on track but you believed that the few corrupt elements that this administration has taken to the court are nothing but witch-hunting, seriously! Get well soon.
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 21, 2019
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by CHRISDMANAGER(m): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2019
Let justice be served no matter what and the circumstances..
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by maasoap(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:

So starting by removing the CJN so as to hold the judiciary at ransom during election tribunal is the best right?.. why didn't he start with his APC members,

Just listen to yourself! Why would he start with APC members? To prove something to you? You're too noble and your comments can be taken as jokes at best.

join the party and your sins are forgiven how many has been probed?

So, the ex-governor who was convicted didn't join APC? The other one too wasn't an APC member too? Abeg, clear for the road!

you no dey shame to dey support evil...

The prominent evil I know is PDP and its supporters.
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2019

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by drskyfly007(m): 11:02am On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbish..money that cannot even buy the power bike of president buharis son..

Be deceiving yourselves..

So a whole chief justice of Nigeria cannot have that amount in his account after so many years as a judicial officer. ..No wonder love for education and going to university is dwindling in this country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by BiafraIsFree: 11:47am On Apr 21, 2019
Served Nigeria and retired in shame and disgrace - Prince Mazi Nnamdi Kanu of Biafra.

Lesson to all saboteurs of Biafra freedom. Without Biafra you are nothing.

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Donpenny(m): 12:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
Honesty, this man is just a Vitim of circumstances. The monies in these account are nothing compare to what abacha's loot, bankola the formal speaker of the national Assembly loot #3billion naira, Almighty jagaban in Lagos, akpabio,obj, and other strong carba from the north and west. My advice to the southern elite most especially those from the east and Niger delta is to cultivate the spirit of love and be their brothers keeper everywhere they find their selves. They should be smart in their dealing with the northern and some of even western elite. That is the only antidote to to these conspiracies
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by brightalo17: 12:50pm On Apr 21, 2019
YoungLionone:
The fight against corruption should be something that we all should embrace but my concern is that, Other Tribes are been targeted more in this fight. Can we also investigate Mr. Tinubu or is he above the law?

What about Amechi? Or Mr. Ganduje?

Anyways, what do I know.

Let PDP regain power and prosecute them , stop wailing.

1 Like

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by brightalo17: 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2019
kinibigdeal:
The money in the CJN account is not even close to Buhari son's bike
So?
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by onyxo76(m): 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
maasoap:

Firstly, he didn't declare the accounts even if they contain 1 million naira. But the accounts are still active with no restrictions on them and you know the things with thieves and corrupt elements, he might have moved the money as quickly as possible.
I'm not sure how much he can move per day, most accounts have transfer limits per day,
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Legendguru: 2:38pm On Apr 21, 2019
really
Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by BiafraIsFree: 3:40pm On Apr 21, 2019
Name any politicians or the zoo Nigeria leaders that has ever declared his/her bank statements completely to the so called Nigerians.

maasoap:

Re: Bank To Get Forfeiture Order On Onnoghen’s Funds This Week by Afamed: 8:38pm On Apr 21, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:
Buhari the evil tyrant has finally gotten what he wanted, in a country with millions of corrupt politicians including himself na Onnoghen dem use swear for him.. 1diot
Wailing bandit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News : Apc Audu Abubakar Is Dead / EFCC In Search Of Jamila Tangaza / Rebbeca Sharibu: Leah Sharibu Will Return Alive, I'm Hopeful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.