Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,655 members, 7,862,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:53 AM

I Will Run, Jonathan Tells Ministers ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Run, Jonathan Tells Ministers ! (647 Views)

I Will Run For Presidency Under PDP In 2019 – Lamido / No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation / You Can’t Threaten Me, Jonathan Tells Northern Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Will Run, Jonathan Tells Ministers ! by wales(m): 8:10am On Sep 17, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday declared his intention to run in elections next year, using an announcement on social networking site Facebook to steal the thunder from campaign launch of rival aspirant General Ibrahim Babangida. The president also told ministers at the Federal Executive Council meeting yesterday that he would seek the ruling party’s presidential nomination, ending months of dithering.
A statement on Jonathan’s Facebook page posted at 11.44am confirmed his decision to stand. The timing was carefully calculated, because the news popped up unannounced on the president’s Facebook page just as thousands of people convened at the Eagle Square in Abuja to hear former military president Babangida announce his candidacy for the top job.

“Today, I confirm that after wide and thorough consultations spanning the six geo-political zones that make up Nigeria, with members of my family, my party, the opposition, civil society, the private sector, members of the labour unions, religious leaders, youths and student groups and our revered traditional institutions, I Goodluck Ebele Jonathan by the grace of God hereby offer myself and my services to the Nigerian people as a candidate for the office of President in the forth coming 2011 elections,” he said.

“In presenting myself for service, I make no pretense that I have a magic wand that will solve all of Nigeria’s problems or that I am the most intelligent Nigerian. Far from it.

“What I do promise is this – If I am elected President in 2011, I will make a covenant with you the Nigerian people to always do right by you, to tell you the truth at all times, to carry you along and most importantly to listen to you, fellow citizens in our communities and also those of you on this page.

“I do not want to win your affections by giving you promises of things I would do in the future which others before me have given and which have largely been unfulfilled. Rather, I would want you to judge me by my records. Since God Almighty and yourselves permitted me to serve you in the present capacity, I have busied myself with setting Nigeria on the path of peace and progress.”

Jonathan also announced that he would make a formal declaration at a rally on Saturday in Abuja.

A presidency spokesman confirmed the Facebook page was genuine, while Information Minister Dora Akunyili said Jonathan had also told the cabinet of his intention to run.

This will be the first time a major political decision of this magnitude is being made public through an online social networking medium in Nigeria and reflects the growing trend among Nigerian politicians to engage with people through the Internet.

The president’s Facebook page has 210, 524 fans. He has used the medium in recent times to address his audience on national issues such as security, economy, electoral reforms, power, Niger Delta and youth development.

Jonathan’s election bid is controversial because of an agreement in the People’s Democratic Party that power should rotate between the North and the South every two terms. Opponents yesterday criticised him for challenging the zoning agreement.

“The battle has now begun and there is no doubt the North will be united against him,” human rights activist Shehu Sani told Reuters news agency.

“Whatever is the outcome, there will be a price to be paid. The North will feel Jonathan is running a stolen presidency if he eventually wins the election. If he loses, the South-south will believe they were ganged up against,” he said.

Buba Galadima, an aide to former head of state and potential opposition candidate Muhammadu Buhari, agreed. “The articles in the PDP constitution clearly stipulated zoning for political positions. For the president to have jettisoned that is an act of bad faith which means as a leader he cannot be trusted,” he said.

By choosing the web for his declaration, Jonathan appeared to be taking a leaf from the book of his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama in using social networking site Facebook to communicate with voters.

The move may seem an incongruous gimmick in a nation of 150 million where many people have limited access to clean water, let alone the Internet, but his advisers hope it might signal a change in Nigeria’s old-school way of doing politics, Reuters reported.

Jonathan is not the only contender to use new media.

Babangida has a website providing links to his Facebook and Twitter accounts and allowing BlackBerry users to scan a barcode for updates on his campaign progress. (www.voteibb.org)

Former vice president Atiku Abubakar, who is also running against Jonathan, also has a Facebook page.

But not all politicians have met with success on the Web.

Former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, portrayed as brooding and uncharismatic, was ridiculed last year for what many saw as inappropriate smiles in a video on a parliamentary expenses’ scandal.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2930:i-will-run-jonathan-tells-ministers&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: I Will Run, Jonathan Tells Ministers ! by wales(m): 8:10am On Sep 17, 2010
Mr. President, like every Nigerians, has the right to contest for any eligible position of his choice, but hope this will not distract him from his official responsibilitie s to Nigerians. When an incumbent President or Governor decides to recontest so many things are put aside be it personal or official issues. For example, resources of the nation will definitely be used for personal struggle during campaign; attention diverted from projects that touches lives of the masses to projects geared towards campaign; lesser emphasy on official matters while more attention to campaign; government role in elections would be how to win rather than achieving a free and fair elections; more government officials go against their interest by supporting an unpopular government for personal and selfish reasons and many more that are detrimental to the nation’s growth and development. These are just my fears, outside this we all have our civic rights to contest or not to.

(1) (Reply)

Re: I Don't Have A Godfather - Fashola / Intrigues As Jonathan Desperately Searches For Plan B / Lagos Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.