Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,891 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World (14198 Views)

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 25, 2019
anayolity:

where did you get the book from please?

I got demo copies online. Google books, i used an app to download it then, then i got another demo from a site. It's been long.

You can get the real hard copy book in bookstores in Nigeria.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by UncleJudax(m): 8:31am On Apr 25, 2019
Jayslicky:
CLICK like if u think chinua achebe was a better writer than wole soyinka.
This is epic uselessness

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by anayolity: 8:33am On Apr 25, 2019
[quote author=Gratefulheart01 post=77836394]

I got demo copies online. Google books, i used an app to download it then, then i got another demo from a site. It's been long.

You can get the real hard copy book in bookstores in Nigeria. [/quote
okay, thanks sir. What is the book name in English? I only know it to be igbo olodumare in Yoruba.
Thanks in advance!
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Guestlander: 8:36am On Apr 25, 2019
Jayslicky:

One word......NOBEL.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 25, 2019
OkunrinOloro:
Chinua Achebe was a writer of popular folk fiction. Wole Soyinka is a cerebral, philosopher whose writings can only be appreciated by men and women of deep intellect and proven academic credentials.

Comparing Achebe with Soyinka is like comparing the intellectual loftiness of Shakespearean literature with simple African folk tales. It's not a fair comparison because Achebe will always come out looking second best.

There's a reason why one of them won a Nobel Prize and the other was never even nominated.

Just pick up one of Soyinka's books like The Interpreter and compare it with Things Fall Apart. Read both of them and then come back to this forum and tell us which one showed a much deeper insight into the frailties of human nature and eternal struggle between individual freedom and societal norms.

I even rate someone like Cyprian Ekwensi as a better writer than Chinua Achebe.

Ur last statement is daft grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Printerscanner: 8:39am On Apr 25, 2019
chesterlee:
Greatest writer Africa has ever produced

With a Biafran nobel laureate price grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by MrPresident1: 8:41am On Apr 25, 2019
Achebe's Things Fall Apart provided great insights into the life of a dispersed ancient Israelite people. That book is a confirmation stamp that among the larger Igbo tribe of south east Nigeria dwells ancient Israelites
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by MajesticD(m): 8:48am On Apr 25, 2019
How did we get to this point of senseless tribal sentimentality as a main percept on every issue. What's wrong with appreciating both on their strengths and being constructively critical in a way that's devoid of any show of tribal superiority.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Niceman4u(m): 8:48am On Apr 25, 2019
Tribalists are going to flood this thread now! oh some of them have already registered their presence.
It appears tribalistic bashing generate some form of fund or traffic to NL owner.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by PrincessJr(f): 8:52am On Apr 25, 2019
...The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart, the center cannot hold... mere anarchy is loosed upon the earth...
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:54am On Apr 25, 2019
Jayslicky:
why the comparison? if you have nothing meaningful to say just read comments, thank you
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 25, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

You spoke well, i read the translation of igbo olodumare into English by Soyinka. The nigga is good. Achebe too is good all the same

Ogboju ode ninu igbo olodumare kiss
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by bhella10: 8:59am On Apr 25, 2019
grayht:
Things fall apart...
Great novel!

Chinua achebe makes me remember the likes of "njeroge" weep not child
Nyengi koi "Time changes yesterday"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Topmaike007(m): 8:59am On Apr 25, 2019
koolaid87:
Too bad tribal sentiments wont even let me pick his books up but would rather go ahead and read about foreign affairs.

That has to stop cos I'm buying his book first thing tomorrow morning

So help me God
amen

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Topmaike007(m): 9:05am On Apr 25, 2019
Urchman200:
How this man did not win a Nobel prize is beyond me
how did sneijder happened not to win FIFA balon DOR
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Jyde89: 9:13am On Apr 25, 2019
Asshurbanipali:
Anambra is a superior black race.

Is their anything like that, guy nawa o
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by 9jaBloke: 9:14am On Apr 25, 2019
PharoahIII:
As a writer, I think I am in a better position to comment on this topic. Firstly you must appreciate that Achebe's mastery of the English language was second to none, although he did not have a flair for words as Soyinka does. In terms of scene depiction, Achebe was a genius. Achebe could describe a scene like none other. Achebe had total control of his audience, he knew how to keep them on their toes, wanting and practically begging for more. This is a feat Soyinka simply could not achieve. But in terms of consistency, I'll give it to Soyinka.
Soyinka's best work till date remains Death and the King's Horseman (The first time I opened this book I knew I was in literary heaven). If one were to take this work away from Soyinka, Soyinka will still be Soyinka. But if you take Things Fall Apart away from Achebe, Achebe will be a nobody. He'll be like a disrobed emperor. His other works were quite quotidian. Achebe was a master storyteller and writer, and Soyinka, more of a writer than a story teller.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Soyinka, and that's only because storytelling in itself is a more difficult craft to master than writing.
Things fall apart is not a book, it is a bible.

You are indeed a writer.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 9:18am On Apr 25, 2019
[quote author=anayolity post=77836624][/quote]

Welcome...... "Forest of a thousand daemons" by Wole Soyinka.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by geez18(m): 9:19am On Apr 25, 2019
Urchman200:
How this man did not win a Nobel prize is beyond me
not getting the Laureate took nothing out of Achebe; in fact, not awarding Achebe a Nobel diminished the Laureate.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Homers123(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2019
PrincessJr:
...The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart, the center cannot hold... mere anarchy is loosed upon the earth...
This is quoted from W.B Yeats The Falconer.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 25, 2019
tohyorsih2:

Ogboju ode ninu igbo olodumare kiss

There is ogboju ode but the one i'm referring to is just igbo olodumare.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by PrincessJr(f): 9:43am On Apr 25, 2019
Homers123:
This is quoted from W.B Yeats The Falconer.
Oh I thought it was culled from Chinua Achebe’s, didn’t remember where I read it. The second coming actually?
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 25, 2019
Nbote:

U are not in any position to comment... D ppl who are best placed to comment on d topic have spoken and chosen d best 100 works ever written... All U jus typed were ur opinion which in dis case doesn't matter

The same set of people "who are best placed to comment" gave one a Nobel Prize and did not nominate d other grin

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Homers123(m): 9:54am On Apr 25, 2019
PrincessJr:
Oh I thought it was culled from Chinua Achebe’s, didn’t remember where I read it. The second coming actually?
Yes,The Second Coming.
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by optimusprime2(m): 9:59am On Apr 25, 2019
Jayslicky:
Bros,
Till today we nefa finish "The Messi and C.Ronaldo" debate, why bring another wahala?
Can't we just enjoy legends and not compare them?
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Customer80: 10:22am On Apr 25, 2019
This thread is about Chinua Achebe and not Wole Soyinka please
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by balonaija(f): 10:23am On Apr 25, 2019
why?
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Ndianaobong: 10:35am On Apr 25, 2019
9jaBloke:

You are indeed a writer.
good of you

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Ugosample(m): 10:53am On Apr 25, 2019
how did Wole Soyinka enter this discussion now?
Na wa for una o
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by Ugosample(m): 10:54am On Apr 25, 2019
MajesticD:
How did we get to this point of senseless tribal sentimentality as a main percept on every issue. What's wrong with appreciating both on their strengths and being constructively critical in a way that's devoid of any show of tribal superiority.

It's surprising

Instead of things to get better

it's just getting worse undecided

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by DonXavi(m): 11:12am On Apr 25, 2019
fdf
Re: Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World by 8stargeneral: 11:39am On Apr 25, 2019
Can't get boring reading dat book

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Get 48 Laws Of Power Ebook / Devil For A Husband / Write Your Life Story In 6 Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.