Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism (12682 Views)

Onyi Echegini Wins Award For The Best Player In US Women's University Football / Raheem Sterling Wins PFA Young Player Of The Year / Raheem Sterling’s Car Collection (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by chibbyRJ(m): 6:23am On Apr 26, 2019
@REJOICE9JA

Manchester City's Raheem Sterling said he hopes to set an example for younger players as he received an award for his stance against racism in football.

The England forward has criticised newspapers' portrayal of black players and wants stronger punishments for fans who racially abuse players.

He was honoured at the BT Sport Industry Awards on Thursday.

"When the next generation come through, you have to set the example," the 24-year-old said.

"Coming through at Liverpool I had people around me like Steven Gerrard I looked up to. Looking at him I thought what can I do within myself to be half the person and player he was.

"You take little things and each year, try and develop not just on the field but off it.

"I was just speaking about my personal experiences, I didn't expect it to get so much attention.

"I just wanted to bring it to the attention of my audience on Instagram. It's been really pleasing to see people listening and trying and do better."

England manager Gareth Southgate presented the award and said Sterling's actions had made "a massive impact on British society".

"I've worked with Raheem now for around five years and to have seen his maturity as a person has been lovely to watch," said Southgate.

"This is about his own personal improvement, his improvement on the field and his recognition he can make a difference off the field. That has been increasingly powerful over the last six months and had a massive impact on British society I think."

Sterling suffered allegedly racist abuse from Chelsea fans during City's 2-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge in December, prompting an Instagram post in which he questioned newspapers' portrayal of black players.

In January, it was revealed he wrote a letter to a young City fan who was racially abused, urging the supporter "stand tall, don't let them take away your courage".

He was also racially abused during England's European Championship qualifier in Montenegro in March, along with international team-mates Danny Rose and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Earlier in April he was hailed as "an iconic British sports star" and "a trailblazer" after being named sportsman of the year at the 2019 British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards.

SOURCE: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48060828

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Mysociallife: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2019
Read my signature
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Elexdallas(m): 12:07pm On Apr 26, 2019
G
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by kennosklint(m): 12:08pm On Apr 26, 2019
9zc1
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by deyoungstar(m): 12:09pm On Apr 26, 2019
Wow, I made it today
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Gideonmi(m): 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2019
Huh
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by nonye6194: 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2019
he is the real activist against racism in English football.

And he is talented too. Been having the best season and the racist cùnts want to distract him like that Juventus kid. instead, he's getting better with stats, kicking ašs and taking names

9 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 26, 2019
Abegi
If they curse Ramos mother and threatened to skin Morata is it racism too?
Footballers always get bullied and insulted
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Albert0011(m): 12:13pm On Apr 26, 2019
tough dude.. i like the way he's even improving everyday.
Shame on those fvcking racists.

11 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Gabson001(m): 12:18pm On Apr 26, 2019
Weldone sterling bank

1 Like

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Earthquake3: 12:23pm On Apr 26, 2019
He made the fight against Racism personal

Weldone Raheem Sterling

2 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 12:31pm On Apr 26, 2019
Gud
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Israelfx2(m): 12:33pm On Apr 26, 2019
stc
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Akwaibomdude(m): 12:35pm On Apr 26, 2019
Good one for him
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 26, 2019
lilbest4:
Abegi
If they curse Ramos mother and threatened to skin Morata is it racism too?
Footballers always get bullied and insulted

Only people that haven't stepped a foot outside their villages needless say the country don't understand the concept of what Sterling is fighting for.

Keep living in your bubble

13 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by seunlayi(m): 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2019
Who else noticed his BIG YANSH?
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by phr0nesis(m): 12:40pm On Apr 26, 2019
jayfolarin:

Only people that haven't stepped a foot outside their villages needless say the country don't understand the concept of what Sterling is fighting for.

You even have time to reply him. You should have just ignored him

3 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Horus(m): 12:40pm On Apr 26, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgt_j0kiXCA

Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by sammchuck1: 12:43pm On Apr 26, 2019
jayfolarin:

Him dey Edo smh

1 Like

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 26, 2019
seunlayi:
Who else noticed his BIG YANSH?

That's what I tend to watch out for when I'm watching a Man City match grin

Baba is well endowed cheesy
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Horus(m): 12:47pm On Apr 26, 2019
skarlett:

That's what I tend to watch out for when I'm watching a Man City match grin

Baba is well endowed cheesy

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 26, 2019
jayfolarin:

it's inferiority complex that makes blacks cry when whites call them blacks and it's not everyone that has inferiority complex. if an albino, who is also white naturally calls you a black monkey will you cry?

I have worked with a Whiteman. If a Whiteman called me a black monkey I'd call him a white pússy.

If a fellow broke hustler like you call you broke will you cry? The answer is no but if your classmate who just made mad money and bought a JLK told you to get of here that you are broke what will happen? Tears. That's it, you already felt insecure and inferior his words just confirmed it that's the same with white and black skin

2 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by chibike69: 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2019
grin

Why d ball come white?
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2019
lilbest4:
it's inferiority complex that makes blacks cry when whites call them blacks and it's not everyone that has inferiority complex. if an albino, who is also white naturally calls you a black monkey will you cry?

I have worked with a Whiteman. If a Whiteman called me a black monkey I'd call him a white pússy.

If a fellow broke hustler like you call you broke will you cry? The answer is no but if your classmate who just made mad money and bought a JLK told you to get of here that you are broke what will happen? Tears. That's it, you already felt insecure and inferior his words just confirmed it that's the same with white and black skin

Your rant is exactly why I said kids like you only talk like this because they haven't stepped a foot outside their villages, needless say their countries. You think it's just about words? Do you even have the slightest of ideas how broad an issue you are limiting to just 2 words is?

Educate yourself and stop sounding foolish in a try-hard bid to sound woke!

5 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by icebazz(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2019
Please I will really be happy if someone can find a solution to my problem here, I have not been able to pay my school fees and I will be starting my exam next week, am a diploma student of OAU and am really depressed right now, I have not been encouraged to read to my satisfaction bcoz of the issue with my school fees, I will really be happy if someone can assist me, save a soul please
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Philgafauto: 1:05pm On Apr 26, 2019
lilbest4:

Hmmmmmmm. You have a point oooo, especially with the broke nigga talk. That thing dey paaaaaiiiinnnn
Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Philgafauto: 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2019
jayfolarin:

Your rant is exactly why I said kids like you only talk like this because they haven't stepped a foot outside their villages, needless say their countries. You think it's just about words? Do you even have the slightest of ideas how broad an issue you are limiting to just 2 words is?

Educate yourself and stop sounding foolish in a try-hard bid to sound woke!

Why don't you just tackle the substance of his submissions rather than trying to race shame the brother. Let's discuss this racism issue from all angles. That bro made some valid points.

3 Likes

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2019
Philgafauto:

Hmmmmmmm. You have a point oooo, especially with the broke nigga talk. That thing dey paaaaaiiiinnnn

And stop quoting and replying yourself in a bid to garner support. Chronic attention seeking is a mental disorder.

1 Like

Re: Raheem Sterling Wins Award For Stance Against Racism by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2019
Philgafauto:

Why don't you just tackle the substance of his submissions rather than trying to race shame the brother. Let's discuss this racism issue from all angles. That bro made some valid points.

Talk to me with your main handle. The one I replied to. There is no valid point in any single statement you made. Sterling is fighting for a good cause but myopic uninformed kids like you try to downplay it.

The British media recognised the truth in what Sterling opined and even rewarded him for his stance but you are here shouting 'nigga this, nigga that' in a bid to sound woke!

Get some education son!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Today Is Asisat Oshoala's 29th Birthday / Onyi Echegini Wins Award For The Best Player In US Women's University Football / Neymar Injury: PSG Star Stretchered Off Field With Ankle Issue In Ligue 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.