Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos (29807 Views)

Lagos Rated City With Worst Road Traffic In The World (See Top 10) / A City Inside A City In Abuja, Nigeria / LASG Orders 'gokada', 'maxokada' To Comply With Traffic Regulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by spartoo: 4:11pm On Apr 26, 2019
Nigeria is one hell of a hellhole. Nothing works, everything is done in a disorderly manner.

I swear we are all mad in this country.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by TANID(m): 4:13pm On Apr 26, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by DrTee1(m): 4:15pm On Apr 26, 2019
seborrhic:
Unless my eyes are deceiving me,but I am seeing 16km and a planned additional 8km subway in 2024!
It's like moving from Ikoyi to VI and to AJAH,or From Oshodi to Bolade.This is what Indonesia is celebrating achieving in 2019 when it's neighbours are building 100km -300km superfastrails.
What is there to celebrate in that!!

Easy Seb, easy.

Indonesia is like Nigeria. Poor, corruption-ravaged and over-populated.

When we had Abacha, they had Suharto. Both despots and savage.

I agree with you, but what do we do na? Small time, they'll say all that this medical people know is to criticize too much...

I can feel the dermatology in your moniker - so I know you are a medically-oriented fellow. Cute brain and critical thinking!

2 Likes

Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by ChristineC: 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2019
seborrhic:
Unless my eyes are deceiving me,but I am seeing 16km and a planned additional 8km subway in 2024!
It's like moving from Ikoyi to VI and to AJAH,or From Oshodi to Bolade.This is what Indonesia is celebrating achieving in 2019 when it's neighbours are building 100km -300km superfastrails.
the news also says it can take over 2hrs to cover 5km. that seem like an exaggeration but I've never been to to Jakarta, so that may be a palliative surely.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by wink2015(m): 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:

Jakarta – the Indonesian capital - share huge similarities with Lagos state, Nigeria.

Jakarta is officially home to about 10 million people, but the population of the greater metropolitan area swells to 30 million.

Just as Lagos, Jarkata, the population explosion occurring in this urban city has created infrastructural deficits especially for basic amenities.

One of the basic infrastructural deficits is seen in the transport sector. This has led to incessant traffic congestion in this urban city making it one of the traffic gridlock capitals of the world.

Over the decades, traffic congestion in Jakarta relentlessly worsened because of an increase in car ownership. Yet, the road infrastructure remained relatively unexpanded. This has left the resident to spend more hours in traffic.

According to the transport ministry, the average peak hour speed has “significantly decreased” to 10 kilometers an hour (6.2 miles per hour). It often can take two or more hours to move 5 kilometers (3 miles) in some pockets of the city.

Combating the huge traffic challenge in Jakarta has been on for several decades.

However, the first and long-awaited subway in Indonesia was commissioned last Sunday in Jakarta.

Indonesia is the 4th most populous nation in the world.  It has a population estimated at 269.54 million in 2019.

This metro-line is planned to help relieve crippling traffic gridlock in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy.

The project has been planned since the 1980s, but its construction was delayed by political crises, red tape and funding disagreements.

Trips across the 16-kilometer (10-mile) transit line from the southern neighborhood of Lebak Bulus to Jakarta’s downtown and is expected to take less than 30 minutes.

The subway includes seven elevated and six underground stations. Two consortiums of local and Japanese companies built it.

Passengers can ride for free until the end of the month, after which operator PT MRT Jakarta has said tickets will cost the equivalent of between 70 cents and $1.

This subway line, the latest of many infrastructure improvements across Jakarta, is aimed at helping it catch up with other Southeast Asian capitals such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Bangkok in public transport.

While inaugurating the transit line, President Joko Widodo also presided over a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the beginning of the second phase: an 8-kilometer (5-mile) northward line planned for completion by 2024.

The two projects are being built at a cost of $2.6 billion.

In Lagos, a similar metro line project has been ongoing for years. Its completion dates have been postponed severally. The Blue line which is being constructed will be 27km long, connecting Okokomaiko to Marina. The first two lines of the urban rail project were estimated to cost $1.4bn.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/jakarta-a-city-with-traffic-similarities-as-lagos-launches-its-first-subway-system-photos/

This country called Indonesia is a PERSON NON GRATA for drug traffickers.

It has the death penalty for drug traffikers like the philippines, Saudi Arabia

African or Nigeria drug traffickers should be careful and pursue legit hustle in these countries.

I congratule Indonesia for their new subways system.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by 4gunners(m): 4:40pm On Apr 26, 2019
Lagos government need to prioritize the metro line and not more buses on the already congested road. The buses Ambode just purchased will exacerbate the traffic congestion on the road.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by Turantula(m): 4:49pm On Apr 26, 2019
Only looters use subway.
-Buhari

1 Like

Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by MiddleDimension: 5:06pm On Apr 26, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:

Jakarta – the Indonesian capital - share huge similarities with Lagos state, Nigeria.

Jakarta is officially home to about 10 million people, but the population of the greater metropolitan area swells to 30 million.

Just as Lagos, Jarkata, the population explosion occurring in this urban city has created infrastructural deficits especially for basic amenities.

One of the basic infrastructural deficits is seen in the transport sector. This has led to incessant traffic congestion in this urban city making it one of the traffic gridlock capitals of the world.

Over the decades, traffic congestion in Jakarta relentlessly worsened because of an increase in car ownership. Yet, the road infrastructure remained relatively unexpanded. This has left the resident to spend more hours in traffic.

According to the transport ministry, the average peak hour speed has “significantly decreased” to 10 kilometers an hour (6.2 miles per hour). It often can take two or more hours to move 5 kilometers (3 miles) in some pockets of the city.

Combating the huge traffic challenge in Jakarta has been on for several decades.

However, the first and long-awaited subway in Indonesia was commissioned last Sunday in Jakarta.

Indonesia is the 4th most populous nation in the world.  It has a population estimated at 269.54 million in 2019.

This metro-line is planned to help relieve crippling traffic gridlock in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy.

The project has been planned since the 1980s, but its construction was delayed by political crises, red tape and funding disagreements.

Trips across the 16-kilometer (10-mile) transit line from the southern neighborhood of Lebak Bulus to Jakarta’s downtown and is expected to take less than 30 minutes.

The subway includes seven elevated and six underground stations. Two consortiums of local and Japanese companies built it.

Passengers can ride for free until the end of the month, after which operator PT MRT Jakarta has said tickets will cost the equivalent of between 70 cents and $1.

This subway line, the latest of many infrastructure improvements across Jakarta, is aimed at helping it catch up with other Southeast Asian capitals such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Bangkok in public transport.

While inaugurating the transit line, President Joko Widodo also presided over a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the beginning of the second phase: an 8-kilometer (5-mile) northward line planned for completion by 2024.

The two projects are being built at a cost of $2.6 billion.

In Lagos, a similar metro line project has been ongoing for years. Its completion dates have been postponed severally. The Blue line which is being constructed will be 27km long, connecting Okokomaiko to Marina. The first two lines of the urban rail project were estimated to cost $1.4bn.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/jakarta-a-city-with-traffic-similarities-as-lagos-launches-its-first-subway-system-photos/

when you start a thread, do you read people's reaction to it?
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by seborrhic: 5:28pm On Apr 26, 2019
DrTee1:

Easy Seb, easy.

Indonesia is like Nigeria. Poor, corruption-ravaged and over-populated.

When we had Abacha, they had Suharto. Both despots and savage.

I agree with you, but what do we do na? Small time, they'll say all this medical people know and criticize to much...

I can feel the dermatology in your moniker - so I know you are a medically-oriented fellow. Cute brain and critical thinking!
But my bro,they are celebrating mediocrity na!
Why I am pissed more is that many of it's Asian neighbours or counterparts,eg,Malaysia, Singapore are doing fantastically so well,so why would they be making a fanfare of a train ride that literarily doesn't go past a single town.
When we see mediocrity displayed in full glory,we should condemn it,despite the abysmal mess we also find ourselves in.

1 Like

Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by Oblivionsmiles: 6:20pm On Apr 26, 2019
This one is vision 2100 for naija.

Your number one gifts store
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by ocelot2006(m): 6:34pm On Apr 26, 2019
This is what Lagos ought to have done a LOOOOOOG time ago.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by KendrickAyomide: 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2019
Edodefender:
where in Benin?
Around airport road
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by DrTee1(m): 7:02pm On Apr 26, 2019
seborrhic:

But my bro,they are celebrating mediocrity na!
Why I am pissed more is that many of it's Asian neighbours or counterparts,eg,Malaysia, Singapore are doing fantastically so well,so why would they be making a fanfare of a train ride that literarily doesn't go past a single town.
When we see mediocrity displayed in full glory,we should condemn it,despite the abysmal mess we also find ourselves in.

grin

I fully agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by 9jaRealist: 7:07pm On Apr 26, 2019
Lagos does NOT need a subway, just light railway would suffice...
Given the high water levels in Lagos, a subterranean system would be PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE.
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 26, 2019
[quote author=KendrickAyomide post=77871953] kiss nice, am not sure there is a subway in the whole Subsaharan Africa. oh there is one Subway in benin where boys normally smoke Weed[/quote
guy funny oo
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by colossus91(m): 12:02am On Apr 27, 2019
KendrickAyomide:
kiss nice, am not sure there is a subway in the whole Subsaharan Africa. oh there is one Subway in benin where boys normally smoke Weed
werey ni boboyi lol!!
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by nairasven: 10:27am On May 15, 2019
seborrhic:

Actually, the planned track length are above 100 km, so, slow down butthurt fellow nigerian.

https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Jakarta
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by tck2000(m): 9:38pm On Sep 16, 2019
Nice
Re: Jakarta Launches Its First Subway, A City With Traffic Similarities As Lagos by xamuell: 11:06am On Nov 14, 2019
Nigeria had better build their own subway oh. I want to start playing actual subway surfers��

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mass Deportation Of Nigerians From India / Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos / Murtala Muhammed Way Flyover In Kano (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.