Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Programming Really Is For The Young - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Really Is For The Young (4988 Views)

New To Programming! Really Neeed Help / Please What Really Is Object Oriented Programming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Really Is For The Young by fallguy(m): 3:59am On Sep 18, 2010
Programming really is for the young;
--------------------------------------

Any programmer of repute i know of began programming young. Some of the best programmers began at a very early age- say age 5.

It is said that tiger woods is  a better golfer than jack nicklaus because of  the age factor - tiger started earlier and that affected his swing.

With programming as with singing and acting - the earlier the better.

I may be wrong, but the statistics are on my side.

bill gates - early starter ( from primary school)
authors of google - early starters+college education
engineer of apple computers (early starter) - steve wozniak+college education
face book - early starter+ college education
youtube - (early starters : no idea here)+ college education
mozilla programmers - early starters lots of them
word press - early starter

Early, early, early. If you have an interest and start late. well,statistics don't lie. Also the trends are set by the young!!

Something about the age factor or what but most social software are written by people at that age in time on the streets (or campus/hostel/dorm)  with their peers and know the beat so they can code the feel out and place it on the net.

And most infoprenuers i know of leave the coding aspect early to focus on business . those on the job eventually move up (and away ) from programming.

So its like there is a time to code and not to code - start young retire early.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by okeyxyz(m): 10:50am On Sep 18, 2010
u don't need b young 2 b a good programmer. wat u need is interest, time & d right enviroment. young ppl have all ths time in the world, with no responsibility, no family to feed, no bills to pay, no boss breathing down their necks, enforcing targets & deadlines, so they spend all dat time playing around wit code & that's how creativity is born mostly. put many young coders together & u get the enviroment to multiply that creativity. such luxuries, i don't know any adult who has.
but give an adult d same circumstances, & he'll do just as well & probably better.

1 Like

Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by ddon4(m): 5:23pm On Sep 18, 2010
@okeyxyz i think you have spoken well. though i started programming this year and i'm just 19 year old but i think what the poster also say is a very good speech. All the same the more yu face challenges the more you get more ideas
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Dolemite(f): 6:00pm On Sep 18, 2010
Age helps, but it's not the main factor to success. Scientists have discovered that if you do something continuously for 10,000 hours for example 5 hours a day for 5 years, you'd achieve genius status.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by okeyxyz(m): 6:12pm On Sep 18, 2010
@Dolemite, Hi, i'd heard dat scientist report on BBC earlier this year. Good 2 b reminded again. thx.
curious: u r a non-believer of what?
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Dolemite(f): 7:58pm On Sep 18, 2010
okeyxyz:

@Dolemite, Hi, i'd heard dat scientist report on BBC earlier this year. Good 2 b reminded again. thx.
curious: u r a non-believer of what?
No problem, I'm a non believer of religion hope I didn't offend, seeing you believe all things. tongue
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 18, 2010
I believe age might be a factor, mostly for a young person with devotion, which happens to be the attitude of young men like me! grin

Though that does not mean that an aging or not too young person will not make a good programmer or better programmer, know of a man, my inlaw to be tongue who programs in Java, and as a matter of fact, he has kids, but he should be doing well at it! undecided

As a matter of fact, money is also a factor in being a good programmer, I will repeat it again with reasons, if questioned! grin
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by okeyxyz(m): 11:31pm On Sep 18, 2010
Dolemite:

No problem, I'm a non believer of religion hope I didn't offend, seeing you believe all things. tongue

No offence at all. It's good to bump into an interesting one every now & then. In fact i believe an adult shld have infinite right of will to go as he\she pleases, as long as he doesn't infringe on the liberties of another. cheers.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Dolemite(f): 11:34pm On Sep 18, 2010
Donpuzo:

I believe age might be a factor, mostly for a young person with devotion, which happens to be the attitude of young men like me! grin
Could also be a mental thing? if you go around telling people they're too old to learn something that's the first defeat right there. Impossible is nothing.
Now the argument is the older brain lacks the deep structures or whatever needed to learn programming, if this is the case can't one change the learning pattern? there are numerous books out there on learning Tony Buzan etc.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 19, 2010
Dolemite:

Could also be a mental thing? if you go around telling people they're too old to learn something that's the first defeat right there. Impossible is nothing.
Now the argument is the older brain lacks the deep structures or whatever needed to learn programming, if this is the case can't one change the learning pattern? there are numerous books out there on learning Tony Buzan etc.

Your right there, I have over 30 Ebooks on PHP alone, My entire Ebook library for IT, Make up 13 Gb!

As an instructor, i have been able to get good material that soot different factors, Like age, and past experience,

Now like PHP, an elderly person will not get to first read "Pack Publishing Object Oriented Programming with PHP",

I would rather he starts with "I hate PHP", so learning pattern also matters in learning programming!
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Ranoscky(m): 7:21pm On Sep 20, 2010
fallguy:

bill gates - early starter ( from primary school)
authors of google - early starters+college education
engineer of apple computers (early starter) - steve wozniak+college education
face book - early starter+ college education
youtube - (early starters : no idea here)+ college education
mozilla programmers - early starters lots of them
word press - early starter

start young retire early.

And when a Nigerian does dsame, Una go call am 'Wealthy iliterate.'

While, all the so-called literate's that has been in power for decade's now are takin the country backward.

Ra-ras! angry
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by tkovie2002(m): 8:44pm On Sep 20, 2010
Donpuzo:

Your right there, I have over 30 Ebooks on PHP alone, My entire Ebook library for IT, Make up 13 Gb!

As an instructor, i have been able to get good material that soot different factors, Like age, and past experience,

Now like PHP, an elderly person will not get to first read "Pack Publishing Object Oriented Programming with PHP",

I would rather he starts with "I hate PHP", so learning pattern also matters in learning programming!

Bro, I think we have some stuffs to share, 13GB of eBooks, u culd help me with a few, can I contact u?

1 Like

Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Youngichou(m): 8:54pm On Sep 20, 2010
fallguy:

Programming really is for the young;
--------------------------------------

Any programmer of repute i know of began programming young.

hmmmmmmmmm let me say yes.
well i stand to be corrected am 17 and am on php in case you doubt me am young Otutu
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by jmoore(m): 10:08pm On Sep 20, 2010
Ranoscky:

And when a Nigerian does dsame, Una go call am 'Wealthy iliterate.'

While, all the so-called literate's that has been in power for decade's now are takin the country backward.

Ra-ras! angry
how are they taking the country backwards?
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by legendprac(m): 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2010
13gb 4 ebook? Bros, u fit help me with some?

1 Like

Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by xammy(m): 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2010
I want to be a programmer and i was told that the best way to go about it is to attach myself with a programmer, pls how true is this? and is anybody in the house who wish to help me achieve a dream?
H E L P
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by elderbros(m): 10:34pm On Sep 20, 2010
Programing
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Sep 20, 2010
@Poster, you need to broaden your base there . . . even programmers who start old can do great if they work hard at it. Age has nothing to do with it.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by routik(m): 11:13pm On Sep 20, 2010
Dolemite:

Age helps, but it's not the main factor to success. Scientists have discovered that if you do something continuously for 10,000 hours for example 5 hours a day for 5 years, you'd achieve genius status.
No problem, I'm a non believer of religion hope I didn't offend, seeing you believe all things
@Dolemite  if you don't mind i'll like to know you as a friend, pls do add me in your chat list xxxxxxx@live.com so we can chat  a little.

I want to be a programmer and i was told that the best way to go about it is to attach myself with a programmer,  pls how true is this? and is anybody in the house who wish to help me achieve a dream?
H E L P
well if you attach your self with a programmer without knowing a little in the programming world, you'll be a pest to the programmer because you'll keep asking him irritating questions in a every single world he/she says. that could be disgusting. why not contact Donpuzo to help you with some books to start with. that way you will have the basic knowledge and ask a programmer questions based on a particular issue or what you find difficult to do.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 20, 2010
Depends on what ebook you want.

I will be glad to share!
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 21, 2010
xammy:

I want to be a programmer and i was told that the best way to go about it is to attach myself with a programmer, pls how true is this? and is anybody in the house who wish to help me achieve a dream?
H E L P

That's not true. Depends on your interest and the programmers decision to teach you. I was a close friend with a Nairallander for years (Name withheld) yet he never wanted me to learn the trade. Till i showed interest with cash, yet his wicked nature made him limit what he taught me. That never deterred me i strived to learn myself by reading every thing i saw on programming. Today i code in over 6 languages! I mean well!

Now, if that point was also true my sibling will also be good coders. The last time my sister asked me to teach her, i did not! It takes two to work things out!
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by routik(m): 12:54am On Sep 21, 2010
i strived to learn myself by reading every thing i saw on programming
that's what am saying . developing interest and adding passion plus effort to it will take anybody a long way in any career.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 21, 2010
Well I agree that that programming is a matter of interest and this interest should be taken when young. As programming have become so many now, a young brain would be in the best position to "manipulate" the languages. Interest interest and interest are the things. However, this interest must be encouraged by those around aroung us and especially by ourselves. I had an interest in IT when I was17. I enrolled for a computer programme without counsel. I actually thought I was enrolling for computer courses which would make me a designer. I ended up studying Qbasic and I wowed my teachers with my programming skills. There was no encouragement from anybody so I didn't grow harnessing my programming skills. I went to university and studied political science.While in school my programming skills died because there was no encouragement from anybody and the necessary materials for effective programming were missing. I graduated and couldn't go back to programming because I felt there was so much to catch up with, now at 28. Due to my love for security (my early intention was to be a good programmer security wise) I began a training on networking and I have found it worthwhile and I intend to climb the networking ladder and be a guru in network security. My point therefore is that apart from interest, the enabling environment and necessary encouragement have to be in place for effective programming for a young chap.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by deco2come: 1:18am On Sep 21, 2010
The main important thing is whether you have interest on it or not. A very good friend of my started programming at the age of 27. Now he is earning a good living with it. He knows PHP, ASP, JAVASCRIPT, C++, Java, Ruby,Python,CSS,HTML,AJAX, C sharp.

He dedicated his time to it. And to make it more interesting, he studied everything on his own.

1 Like

Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by xammy(m): 4:05am On Sep 21, 2010
Donpuzo:

I will be glad to share!

am very grateful, my number is 08069157360 pls kindly send me ur number so that i will call

thanks a bunch
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by legendprac(m): 7:15am On Sep 21, 2010
xammy:

am very grateful, my number is 08069157360 pls kindly send me your number so that i will call

thanks a bunch

Am also very much interested, send ur no to 08098931313 lemme call u
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by chukz4real(m): 7:44am On Sep 21, 2010
Donpuzo:

I will be glad to share!

Hullo Donpuzo, how could one get any of ebooks? I need ebook on VBA (Access).
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by snthesis(m): 8:03am On Sep 21, 2010
deco2come:

The main important thing is whether you have interest on it or not. A very good friend of my started programming at the age of 27. Now he is earning a good living with it. He knows PHP, ASP, JAVASCRIPT, C++, Java, Ruby,Python,CSS,HTML,AJAX, C sharp.

He dedicated his time to it. And to make it more interesting, he studied everything on his own.

there is a difference btw 1st class and 2.1, anybodi can learn programming and be good @ it @ any age, but to create a genius u nid to start early.
a late start inhibits ur creative spark, as u are generally distrated my a whole lotta stuffs, but then there are exceptions to evry rule.
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Mobinga: 8:47am On Sep 21, 2010
I'm doing it good with C++ cool
Who wants some type of program hit me up i'll be happy to do it cool
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by Ranoscky(m): 8:52am On Sep 21, 2010
jmoore:

how are they taking the country backwards?

Jmoore,

I don't know how to give an answer to this question b'cos, even those outside the country know's what we have been going thru in Nigeria for long time now. N if it happens to be that u'r also in Nigeria, and stil ask's me such question, then im sorry brov, i don't know what to say. But if u'r outside the country and ask's such question, then u need to come down to Nigeria and see for yourself. Moreover, u check to yourself if the treatment u recieve over their is dsame with Nigeria.

Other African countries that are enjoyin constant power supply and other comfort that 1 needs in life, are they not human beings like Nigerians? If they can boast of all these, then, what made Nigeria 'GIANT OF AFRICA'? Giant of Africa, when your citizens are deported in other African countries beneath u (as we claim), and u stil claim Giant Of Africa? When your Citizens are treated like animals all over abroad, and even 'Ghana' (your neighbour), and u keep mute? and u'r here askin me how are they takin the country backward. Is it until we go down like Greece before u know that those 'Ra-ras' are takin the country backward? (make i no even talk of money wey dem dey squander anyhow since u no know wetin dey hapun for naija)

Bros, abeg, if u dey abroad, den everybody know d good life and comfort wey person dey receive for dat way.
But if u dey Naija, make u commot for dat town wia u dey, enter city b'cos, na dia things dey hapun abeg, ejo, biko!
Living inside town is just like mosquito flyin in d day time, how em want take see road clearly? undecided

If im wrong in one way or the other, pls correct and lecture me, im ready to learn, thanx!
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by BinaryMonk: 9:11am On Sep 21, 2010
Re: Programming Really Is For The Young by lekanbar(m): 10:50am On Sep 21, 2010
Programming is for anyone who has interest age not withstanding, i mean anyone who will stick with it despite the intial inevitabe errors and bugs that we all encounter when starting out, Just saying wink

http://lekanbaruwa./

(1) (2) (Reply)

Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? / Please Help! Difficulty In Deploying A Finished And Running Vb.net Project / How To Add Icon To Visual Basic 6.0 Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.