Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text (18713 Views)

President Buhari’s 55th Independence Speech - Full Text / Jonathan’s Declaration To Hold In Six World Cities / Atiku Presidential Intent Declaration Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by lepa001(f): 11:34am On Sep 21, 2010
Lies Lies Lies - In all the this time in office what has he achieved - abeg seen this one before - another wasted generation

Thank you my Bother. These ppl don't ve anything to deliver jo. Dey re just a rulers and dictators and not leader. Nonsense!!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by MRD1(m): 11:43am On Sep 21, 2010
same story different guy shocked
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by abakpa(m): 12:02pm On Sep 21, 2010
jonathan is the ONE no jupiter can change it
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by abakpa(m): 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2010
Jonathan is the ONE no Jupiter can change it
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by FACE(m): 12:45pm On Sep 21, 2010
18 September 2010 14:42 

Forty months ago my predecessor in office and I embarked on a joint ticket in the governance of our great country, Nigeria. Sadly, he passed away on the 5th of May 2010.

MAY HIS GENTLE SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE, AMEN.

With the death of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, the mantle of leadership of our great nation fell on me. However, the days leading to my presidency were very trying times for our nation. We confronted those moments and their challenges to national security with patriotism and care. I appreciate the role played by the National Assembly, Governors, Civil Society groups, the mass media, and other patriotic Nigerians.

The late President Yar'Adua and I shared great dreams for our country. We toiled together to realize those dreams in order to justify the confidence Nigerians reposed in us. Together we swore to execute a joint mandate and today I come before you to make a pronouncement based on that undertaking.

The past four months that I have served as President of Nigeria have opened my eyes to the vast potentials of this office as a potent instrument for the transformation of our country. I discovered that by sheer willpower, I could end the long queues and price fluctuations in our petrol stations. Today, all our refineries are working, saving us huge amounts of funds spent on importation of petroleum products. (Good to know, but it would have been good to acknowledge that the works were started by Yar’adua, who was widely perceived to be useless in office. Some credit wouldn’t do him harm and would highlight your honesty.)

I discovered that by insisting that the right things be done, we could begin a turnaround in our power sector by involving the private sector in power generation and distribution. As you can see from the lower quantities of diesel that you are buying today, power generation has significantly improved. (Did this happen overnight or were the ground works laid by Yaradua? What exactly have the private sector done in contribution to the present level of power supply? Have they started operation and when did they start rolling out their equipment? I have seen parts of the energy blue print and it looks like the right step and I hope that you would be committed to implementing it.)

I have put in place new gas policies and very soon, we will be saying goodbye to gas flaring in our oil fields. Working with the National Assembly, we rolled out a law that requires companies operating in the oil and gas sectors of our economy to utilize an appreciable percentage of their goods and services from local sources. We saw to it that normalcy began to return to the Niger Delta by ensuring government's fidelity to its promises, and this has helped to stabilize our national revenue. (In addition to that, we need a body to actually enforce the laws (I know we have the EP Agency, but they need to be empowered for enforcement actions). There should be an environmental protection act, which covers all aspects of the environment. The EPA should cover pollution by other industries as well. For example, breweries have been known to have destroyed entire rivers because of discharge of spent yeast into rivers, which propagate at an alarming rate and clog the water ways. Cement industries also send harmful effluents into rivers. The fines for defaulting should be unlimited and to the point of liquidation if need be.  )

In the last few months, I embarked on monumental projects in our road infrastructure to end the carnage on our federal highways. I began several projects to make our water resources available for drinking and farming. (I would like to know which roads have been rehabilitated and any new water project commenced since you became president. I propose a public contracts liability act, which forces contractors to redo substandard works at no cost to the government with a possibility of liquidation and jail time for the directors of such companies should the affected companies fail to comply.) I targeted our educational system to return quality and competitiveness to them. (How? )I re-addressed our drive for self sufficiency in food production.( How?) I have taken bold steps to confront our security situation. In this regard, we are pursuing the revision of our laws to be more responsive to international conventions and more punitive to criminals. (How? By promoting the erstwhile police boss in lawless Abia to the inspector general? Our laws are not the problems, but enforcement of those laws. What is your blue print for the reorganisation and retraining of the police force and the provision of adequate crime fighting equipment and good welfare package? What is your approach to flash points like Jos, Aba and Oyo state?)

I set the stage for free and fair elections by constituting an electoral commission comprising of Nigerians with impeccable credentials for firmness and incorruptibility. I charged our anti corruption agencies to speed up the war against corruption, and respect no sacred cows in the process. In the management of the economy, I advocated a more transparent banking industry, price stability, low inflation, and aggregate increase in productivity as a way to drive us to a more prosperous economy. In International Relations, I advanced the respectability accorded our country by effective engagement in global fora.

From the moment I was sworn in as President, I came under intense pressure to make a declaration concerning my political future, but declined to do so because it would have immediately distracted us from all the development initiatives we have accomplished so far.

As President and leader of this government, I decided not to place partisan politics above the immediate needs and priorities of our people. I therefore told Nigerians to give me time to concentrate on my work, and that at the appropriate time, I would make a public statement on my political future after widespread consultations.

Those consultations have now been concluded. The Independent National Electoral Commission has recently announced a time table for the 2011 general elections in the country. My party, the Peoples Democratic Party, has also published a timetable for its primaries.

In the circumstances and after a thorough self examination and prayers with my family, I, Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan have decided to humbly offer myself as a candidate in the Presidential Primaries of our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party, in order to stand for the 2011 Presidential elections. I pledge once again to all the people of this nation that they will have a free and fair election, even as I stand to be a candidate. In this race, I have the honour to have as my running mate, Architect Namadi Sambo, the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Our country is at the threshold of a new era; an era that beckons for a new kind of leadership; a leadership that is uncontaminated by the prejudices of the past; a leadership committed to change; a leadership that reinvents government, to solve the everyday problems that confront the average Nigerian.

I was not born rich, and in my youth, I never imagined that I would be where I am today, but not once did I ever give up. Not once did I imagine that a child from Otuoke, a small village in the Niger Delta, will one day rise to the position of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I was raised by my mother and father with just enough money to meet our daily needs.

In my early days in school, I had no shoes, no school bags. I carried my books in my hands but never despaired; no car to take me to school but I never despaired. There were days I had only one meal but I never despaired. I walked miles and crossed rivers to school every day but I never despaired. Didn't have power, didn't have generators, studied with lanterns but I never despaired.

In spite of these, I finished secondary school, attended the University of Port Harcourt, and now hold a doctorate degree.

Fellow Nigerians, if I could make it, you too can make it!

My story is the story of a young Nigerian whose access to education opened up vast opportunities that enabled me to attain my present position. As I travel up and down our country, I see a nation blessed by God with rich agricultural and mineral resources and an enterprising people. I see millions of Nigerians whose potentials for greatness are constrained by the lack of basic infrastructure.

I see Nigerians who can make a difference in the service of their country but are disadvantaged by the lack of opportunities.

My story symbolizes my dream for Nigeria. The dream that any Nigerian child from Kaura- Namoda to Duke town; from Potiskum to Nsukka, from Isale-Eko to Gboko will be able to realize his God-given potentials, unhindered by tribe or religion and unrestricted by improvised political inhibitions. My story holds out the promise of a new Nigeria. A Nigeria built on the virtues of love and respect for one another, on unity, on industry, on hardwork and on good governance.

My fellow Nigerians, this is what has brought me to Eagle Square today. I have come to say to all of you, that Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is the man you need to put Nigeria right. I have come to launch a campaign of ideas, not one of calumny. I have come to preach love, not hate. I have come to break you away from divisive tendencies of the past which have slowed our drive to true nationhood. I have no enemies to fight. You are all my friends and we share a common destiny.

Let the word go out from this Eagle Square that Jonathan as President in 2011 will herald a new era of transformation of our country; an era that will end the agony of power shortage in our country. Let the word go out from here that I will be for the students, teachers and parents of Nigeria, a President who will advance quality and competitive education. Let everyone in this country hear that I shall strive to the best of my ability to attain self sufficiency in food production.

Let the word go out that my plans for a Sovereign Wealth Fund with an initial capital of $1billion will begin the journey for an economic restoration. (While I am all for the SWF, I need a detailed explanation of what it is and its objectives including funding and discharge. )This restoration will provide new job opportunities and alleviate poverty. Let the word go out that our health sector will receive maximum priority in a new Jonathan administration, a priority that will ensure maximum health care and stop our brain drain.

Let all the kidnappers, criminal elements, and miscreants that give us a bad name be ready for the fight that I shall give them. Let the ordinary Nigerian be assured that President Jonathan will have zero tolerance for corruption. Let the international community hear that today I have offered myself to lead a country that will engage them in mutual respect and cooperation for the achievement of international peace and understanding.

To help me in these tasks effectively, I will re-train, revamp, and motivate the civil service.( I expexpect to see details of how, in your manifesto)

My dear good people of Nigeria, I got here today by the power of God and the support of all Nigerians; all ethnic groups, North, South, East and West. I am here today because of your support and prayers. I want all of you to know that I am one of you and I will never let you down! I want you to know that I will keep hope alive; I want you to know that your time has come.

I stand before you today, humbly seeking your support for me, Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, to run for the office of the President of Nigeria with Architect Namadi Sambo as my running mate.

We will fight for JUSTICE!

We will fight for all Nigerians to have access to POWER!

We will fight for qualitative and competitive EDUCATION!

We will fight for HEALTH CARE REFORMS!

We will fight to create jobs, for all Nigerians!

We will fight corruption!

We will fight to protect all Citizens!

We will fight for your rights!

My dear country men and women, give me your support, give me your votes and together we will fight to build a great nation of our dreams!

I cannot end this speech without thanking you all for attending this occasion. Your huge attendance is a loud testimony of your support for us. For this I am very grateful. I pray that the Almighty God abides with you and sees you safely back to your respective destinations.

When you return, tell all those at home that as we celebrate our fifty years anniversary as a nation, Goodluck has come to transform Nigeria and I will never let you down.

Thank You.

May God Bless you all!

And may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!

- GOODLUCK EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN, GCFR.

(I understand that declaration may not equal to a detailed manifesto, which I presume you have. Where can we read your manifesto and how readily is it available to the man on the street? I expect the manifesto to give full details of the following:

Security, Transportation, Healthcare, Education, (including roads, inland waterways and railways). Environment, Drinking water.
Electricity, oil and gas, small scale industries, micro finance and mortgage finance, social security, children services (including orphanage, child abuse, domestic servitude, compulsory education etc). The economy (very detailed road map including diversification and government commitment). The Inland Revenue service. Food sufficiency. Ecological disasters.
)
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by kaycee0604(m): 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2010
GEJ got something uptair but Oro pupo Iro lon mu wa. We need a total revolution not a politician with a God father Like Obasanjo. As fela don talk am b4 na wayo government we dey. Pady pady and rigimo government.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by timijay: 3:27pm On Sep 22, 2010
fantabulous speech,his story is an encouragable one.abeg you people should not talk about IBB as far as i am concerned.GEJ doesn't have experience, is it experience that will take us to the next level or credible leader.jonathan is the right candidate for nigeria.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by truly: 9:39pm On Sep 22, 2010
cap28:

but did anything come out of the court case? and when the case supposedly collapsed due to "insufficient evidence" how come Jonathan and his wife didnt seek to clear their names of such spurious and supposely malicious allegations by suing the EFCC? - these people think we all reason like Beaf and co.

I honestly beleive that crucial witnesses have either been intimidated, threatened or paid off.

Your article states the following:

By the way the Council on Foreign Relations is a powerful american organisation that is made up of some of the wealthiest political and business figures in america, these people actually control the american govt, they also exert a great deal of control over client states ie countries who implement economic policies which are favourable to their business interests - nigeria is one of such countries, If they said that  Patience Jonathan was  one of the greediest persons in Bayelsa at the time, I would be inclined to beleive them.
Why would they make such a statement if they did not have aanything to back it up with?
I hope you don't think I am a supporter of Johnathan
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by truly: 9:41pm On Sep 22, 2010
timijay:

fantabulous speech,his story is an encouragable one.abeg you people should not talk about IBB as far as i am concerned.GEJ doesn't have experience, is it experience that will take us to the next level or credible leader.jonathan is the right candidate for nigeria.
Don't get carried away by speeches
This IS NOT THE BEST speech we have heard
Abacha used to talk about running a responsible government

People are paid good money to write speeches - is the aspirant sincere - that should be your question
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by Beaf: 9:44pm On Sep 22, 2010
truly:

Don't get carried away by speeches
This IS NOT THE BEST speech we have heard
Abacha used to talk about running a responsible government

People are paid good money to write speeches - is the aspirant sincere - that should be your question

It is. cool
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by truly: 9:52pm On Sep 22, 2010
globatop:

Amid all people that have govern Nigeria, OBJ is still the best, irrespective of his atrocities, no candidate will emerge a president even governor without godfather, lets give Jonathan a chance, after all, it is wise to always settle for a smaller evil. The antecedents of all other aspirants seem scaring and I believe a leopard will never change its paws.

The article on this link will make an interesting reading, never mind its length.
http://www.modernghana.com/news/296479/1/general-ibrahim-badamosi-babangida-the-evil-candid.html
http://www.modernghana.com/news/296732/50/is-the-north-incapable-of-giving-us-quality-leader.html
Obj is not the best - he is not better than Buhari or Murtala
How much was available to each president and what did he do?
Obj has ruled the longest - 11.5years
What did he do about Niger Delta?

Obj came in a pauper - much was expected because of his prison experience
What happened - he has become very rich (remember the 200m shares in transcorp) and autocratic
Do you remember the Anambra debacle - he sponsored the violence designed to pave the way for declaration of state of emergency
Bola Ige, Marshall Harry, Dikibo etc,  Odi and Zaki Biam too  happened on his watch - what happened?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by truly: 9:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
Beaf:

It is. cool
Eureka!!!
All you need to say is that "it is"
And it becomes the best speech?
I would have gone into this debate
But you usually do not provide evidence

And seriously, ever since you said that there is nothing wrong with that website http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/
(A fact that anyone could and can still check)
it has become difficult to believe you without evidence
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by crackhouse(m): 10:12am On Sep 23, 2010
"I have no enemies to fight. You are all my friends"
who said u have no enemies to fight, let me remind u that Babangida and Atiku are Ur No 1 and 2 enemies and not Ur friends. if u are mindful of the fact that these two guys are Ur enemies and do everything possible to treat them as Ur enemies, i assure u, u will win the election, but if u take them as Ur friends, that means u have to hold Ur long spoon as u will be dinning with the devils.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by wizkidayodeji: 1:49pm On Sep 22, 2014

Portrait Painting of Nigerian President : Goodluck Jonathan and Wife by Visual Artist Ayeola Ayodeji.....Nigerian Popular Portrait Artist.

Other Portrait paintings by Ayeola Ayodeji.
[img]http://nigeriaartist.files./2014/09/governor-akpabio-and-wife-picture.jpg?w=460&h=327[/img]
The Picture The Artist work with.

Painting in progress.

The Finished Portrait painting of Governor of Akwa Ibom State(Godswill Akpabio and Wife) by Visual Artist Ayeola Ayodeji..Nigerian Artist

See the video of the portrait painting of Governor Godswill Akpabio and wife done by Ayeola Ayodeji: Nigerian Artist.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by Ozonna(m): 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
I wonder where Beaf is
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by Akanbiedu(m): 4:02pm On Sep 22, 2014

I stand before you today, humbly seeking your support for me, Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, to run for the office of the President of Nigeria with Architect Namadi Sambo as my running mate.

We will fight for JUSTICE!

We will fight for all Nigerians to have access to POWER!

We will fight for qualitative and competitive EDUCATION!

We will fight for HEALTH CARE REFORMS!

We will fight to create jobs, for all Nigerians!

We will fight corruption!

We will fight to protect all Citizens!

We will fight for your rights!

My dear country men and women, give me your support, give me your votes and together we will fight to build a great nation of our dreams!

I cannot end this speech without thanking you all for attending this occasion. Your huge attendance is a loud testimony of your support for us. For this I am very grateful. I pray that the Almighty God abides with you and sees you safely back to your respective destinations.

When you return, tell all those at home that as we celebrate our fifty years anniversary as a nation, Goodluck has come to transform Nigeria and I will never let you down.

Thank You.

May God Bless you all!

And may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!

- GOODLUCK EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN, GCFR.

LOL. Koruji must be wondering how he got so punked.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by shiffynaani(m): 4:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
My dear president,you've alresdy fought corruption to the bearest minimium.didn't you fight corruption when 20 billion naira was missing and unaccounted for till date? Didn't you fight corruption when Stella oduah bought two bulletproof cars and even prevented the house of assembly fom probing her? Didn't you,my president?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
Beaf: Just beautiful!
Delivered without any reference to notes or a teleprompter. We have a very intelligent man at Aso Rock.
Dear Mr. Beaf, the President turns out to be Clueless in Chief grin grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by arresa: 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2014
We will fight for JUSTICE! - F

We will fight for all Nigerians to have access to POWER! - F

We will fight for qualitative and competitive EDUCATION! - F

We will fight for HEALTH CARE REFORMS! - F

We will fight to create jobs, for all Nigerians! - F

We will fight corruption! - F

We will fight to protect all Citizens! - F

We will fight for your rights! - F

F = FAIL.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by Akanbiedu(m): 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
arresa:
[size=20pt]F = FAIL.[/size]
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by PhockPhockMan: 5:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
OAM4J: Good speech, I must admit.

if only he mean what he says and says what he means.
Today, he has proved beyond reasonable doubt of his capabilities to do what he said.

GEJ till 2019.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by pendusky(m): 6:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
Nice Speech President GEJ!

We support you till 2019

2019 will make you the longest serving president Nigeria Ever Produce!! On a democratic platform!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text by okitejoseph: 10:56am On May 31, 2016
History And importance Of Innocenta Decleration
http://www.prestarticles.com/history-importance-innocenta-decleration/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DSS Operatives Seal CoreTV Abuja / Nigeria Ranked As The 9th Most Dangerous Country For Women By Thomson Reuters / Gunmen Kidnap 4 Chinese Railway Workers In Ogun, Kill Policeman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.