Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,211 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This (28367 Views)

I Need Nigeria Use Or Second Hand Iphone 6 Plus For 30k / Redmi Note 9, Note 9S Or Note 9pro: Don't Buy That Phone Until You Read This.... / Stop! Before You Buy That Infinix Or Tecno Smartphone, Read This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by wabbyland(m): 10:12am On Apr 29, 2019
I was given an iPhone 6 by my aunt in UK but I don't know how to go ABT it. it's asking for iCloud account and I can't play music and videos on it. someone kindly put me through
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by bendike: 10:30am On Apr 29, 2019
donbenie:
This advice doesn't sound very mature,

The difference in price between a new IPhone and a used one is night and day..

Instead of castigating people on why they buy used phones,

Buying used items are part and parcel of every day life..

Like the OP said,

Advise them to make extra effort to ensure that it's not a stolen device..
It seens as if you do not know or understand the problems involved.
This is Nigeria and even it is proven that you are an innocent buyer, you will go through serious stress. Years back i knew of someone that his family had spent over 3m and the problem was still there.
Its is not worth it.
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by efjay: 10:48am On Apr 29, 2019
Kennyolowo:
How do I check if the fmi is off using imei
www.iunlocker.net
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by flourishing247: 10:57am On Apr 29, 2019
donbenie:
We've heard you,

Hope you also advise people not to buy used cars since it might just be a stolen vehicle,

They should just wait till they can buy a brand new Vehicle before daring to own one..

Hypocrisy is when you advise people not to buy used phones and wait till they can afford a new one and tomorrow you will go and pick up a brand new TOKUNBO car which might just have been stolen from the owner..

You can drag this till next year. Don't get it twisted. If you can't afford an iPhone, please go for a brand new smart phone simple. It won't make you a lesser person
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by donbenie(m): 11:40am On Apr 29, 2019
bendike:

It seens as if you do not know or understand the problems involved.
This is Nigeria and even it is proven that you are an innocent buyer, you will go through serious stress. Years back i knew of someone that his family had spent over 3m and the problem was still there.
Its is not worth it.
The second hand market value for used iPhone is one of the most attractive point for owning a new iPhone,

The fact that it has good second hand value and that owners of new ones can dispose of it after years of using it and still recover a substantial percentage of their original investments,due to its low price depreciation is a known reason for people owning one all over the world..

And buying a used iPhone is not a Nigerian only Phenomenon,

Even in America and Europe there's a substantial market for used IPhones.

Like I said,

Simply telling people not to buy a used iPhone is not being realistic..

Rather educate them to beware of potentially stolen and locked ones and the implications should be a more appropriate and realistic measure..

The fact that there are stolen vehicles being sold in the market and that one runs the risk of buying such is not enough reason to tell people not to buy Tokunbo vehicles either..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by bendike: 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2019
donbenie:
The second hand market value for used iPhone is one of the most attractive point for owning a new iPhone,

The fact that it has good second hand value and that owners of new ones can dispose of it after years of using it and still recover a substantial percentage of their original investments,due to its low price depreciation is a known reason for people owning one all over the world..

And buying a used iPhone is not a Nigerian only Phenomenon,

Even in America and Europe there's a substantial market for used IPhones.

Like I said,

Simply telling people not to buy a used iPhone is not being realistic..

Rather educate them to beware of potentially stolen and locked ones and the implications should be a more appropriate and realistic measure..

The fact that there are stolen vehicles being sold in the market and that one runs the risk of buying such is not enough reason to tell people not to buy Tokunbo vehicles either..

I get your point. But from the bad experience a lot of people go through, some of us decide to play safe. Rather import your used phone from overseas yourself.
Three years ago or so a friend visiting from Italy called me if i knew anybody in SARS. I said no but inquired what happened. His sister in law bought a "foreign used" phone from a shop in computer village. She also go a receipt. Few weeks later, sars traced and stormed her place of work. She was arrested and provided the receipt for the phone. They took her to the shop and got the seller of the phone arrested. Despite her obvious innocence she had to report at police every few days with my friend having to spend a lot to get her out of the hook.
No doubt the second hand market for phones will always be there but the risk of "strangers" ie sars embarrassing you as if you are a common criminal is also real. It is like playing kalukalu. ie a game of chance. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by Lampert505(m): 4:52pm On Apr 29, 2019
post=77944689:
SAMSUNG: THE KING OF PHONES!!
Maybe you've not try xiaomi out, combination of iPhone and samasung, xiaomi shows the value of money
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by sweetilicious(f): 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2019
With Iphone,those people that killed my aunt were found and arrested.
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by brodalikeme(m): 6:36pm On Apr 29, 2019
edebemba:

Supposing your stolen iPhone has been sold to an innocent person who never knew it was stolen, how will you deal with that? You don't need to be hard or you complicate issues. If you find such a person, just use your IQ to find out how your phone got to him or who sold it to him before taking further action. It is an error of judgment to walk up to somebody and start hitting him because you see your phone on his hand. You may be charged for assault .
I won't hit anybody, he will tell us how he got the phone and we will take it up from there. The circle of thieves selling phones to innocent persons must be stopped. Without demand, there will be no supply

2 Likes

Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by brodalikeme(m): 6:37pm On Apr 29, 2019
centboy123456:

bro forget it u can't do anything just let's it go

No wahala, this is not a bragging issue
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by Kamxin(m): 10:36pm On Apr 29, 2019
princemillla:

Lol. There was a communication, belive me. The phone software engineers Don grab my point sir grin

Hardware engineer is better, not software.
Re: Before You Buy That Second Hand Iphone, Read This by Mryacks: 12:54pm On May 02, 2019
Good info..

princemillla:
Hello my fellow iPhone lovers,

I know how much you so want to lay your hands on the second hand iPhone since the brand new one is not pocket friendly in this economic brouhaha.

It will be disheartening to buy ur used iPhone and upon factory reset, you discover you can't login ur details to the icloud to complete set up.

These is what some guys are doing.

They will bypass activation lock whilst the device is still lock to previous users account. If you mistakenly format, or flashed such phone. It get locked to the previous account. In this case your icloud details will not open such phone cuz the previous owner was still registered on the iolcloud server and not yours.

So what you need to do befor buying your second hand iphone

1. Get the imei and run a check on either paid or free server to confirm FIND MY IPHONE (FMI) is off.

If FMI is On and on the phone there no icloud details in it. Buy such device at your own risk

If FMI is off, that's a good deal.

This warning also goes to my fellow software engineer. Befor you flash that iPhone, confirm the status of the FMI. Otherwise client may twist issues

Goodluck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy A20 Vs Infinix S4 Comparison: This Fight Has A Clear Winner / Tecno Pova 2 Unboxing And First Impressions + Price (photos) / My Experience With Tecno/Carlcare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.