Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,855 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" (53546 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / I Just Checked My Uniben Post Utme Result And I'm So Happy! / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by SIRKAY98(m): 7:42pm On Apr 29, 2019
Nice write up. please tell us how to use (am) as well.

adecamp:
A whole lot of people make this mistake. Let me break it down. "Am" is a verb while "I'm" which is the short form for "I am" is used to modify a verb or stands as a sentence as the case may be.

Examples: if you are asked, "How are you ?"
You say, "I'm fine". Meaning "I am fine". But if you are asked " How are you ?" and you reply "Am fine". The statement " Am fine" does not have a meaning whatsoever.

Other examples are "I'm coming home now"(correct)..."Am coming home now"(Extremely wrong). We should please take note of simple blunders like this because, we might find ourselves talking to someone of higher calibre and making grammatical errors like this speaks little of us and also, in letter writing or essays, mistakes like this is minus 1/2 and imagine you use "Am" like 20 times, that is minus 10 Marks for a simple mistake that would have easily been a bonus point.

Thanks.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by yaki84: 7:45pm On Apr 29, 2019
airsaylongcon:
There is no blunder worse than substituting Am for I am (or I'm). For me, it is the greatest grammatical blunder ever. When a yahoo boy says he's from UK or US and he's typing "am" instead of "I'm", it's a dead giveaway!

I can tolerate "weather" in place of "whether" but not "Am" in place of "I'm"

Well done OP
so when shud we use 'am', is it afta eating?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by mistyebby(f): 7:59pm On Apr 29, 2019
Fourwinds:
you are wrong again... "Am" cannot start stand alone... It needs a pronoun..

Where you wrote "So am going to the market "
Should be.. So, I am going to the market.

Do not Stand alone, stand alone ...singing....

More examples

Pronouns. Auxillary verbs (present/past)
You (are, were)
She ( is,was)
He (Is,was)
I ( am,was)
They (are,were)
We (are, were)

E.t.c

The pronouns are stuck with these verbs just as dick is stuck with man and boobs with women lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Danwakae(m): 8:01pm On Apr 29, 2019
I'M and AM are wrong....to be direct the correct one is

Na Me.

Foreign language nonsense
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Kenmatt(m): 8:09pm On Apr 29, 2019
femi4:
I AM home
Meaning?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2019
titiloyeblog:

Is "Am" really a verb?
I am a doctor. what do you think is the verb there? Apparently, am is the verb.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anonymous4:
Even the writer doesn't explain very well "I am" "I,'m" and "Am" are all the same just that.. You can't start a sentence with "Am".. stop confusing people.. E.g Where are you going?
I'm going to the market not "Am going to the market"
but Where are you going?.. I need some groceries so am going to the market" .. Take note
Bro... the use of "am" in the second answer is wrong.
Take note
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Fourwinds: 8:30pm On Apr 29, 2019
mistyebby:

Do not Stand alone, stand alone ...singing....

More examples

Pronouns. Auxillary verbs (present/past)
You (are, were)
She ( is,was)
He (Is,was)
I ( am,was)
They (are,were)
We (are, were)

E.t.c

The pronouns are stuck with these verbs just as dick is stuck with man and boobs with women lipsrsealed
yeah...funny... At last statement
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by femi4: 8:34pm On Apr 29, 2019
Kenmatt:

Meaning?
AM is a verb
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Bluffly: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2019
adecamp:
A whole lot of people make this mistake. Let me break it down. "Am" is a verb while "I'm" which is the short form for "I am" is used to modify a verb or stands as a sentence as the case may be.

You say, "I'm fine". Meaning "I am fine". But if you are asked " How are you ?" and you reply "Am fine". The statement " Am fine" does not have a meaning whatsoever.

Other examples are "I'm coming home now"(correct)..."Am coming home now"(Extremely wrong). We should please take note of simple blunders like this because, we might find ourselves talking to someone of higher calibre and making grammatical errors like this speaks little of us and also, in letter writing or essays, mistakes like this is minus 1/2 and imagine you use "Am" like 20 times, that is minus 10 Marks for a simple mistake that would have easily been a bonus point.

Thanks.
How do you know which was pronounced. Give more examples in writing usage
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Goddyj(m): 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2019
Now Am understanding it undecided undecided thanks
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by writeprof(m): 8:49pm On Apr 29, 2019
adecamp:

Thanks.

Thank you for this clarification. I have had a running battle correcting learners/users of English of this annoying usage of am instead of I'm.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 9:05pm On Apr 29, 2019
titiloyeblog:

Is "Am" really a verb?
"Am" is the first person singular of the verb be, and it is used only for First Person Singular Pronoun “I”.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 9:09pm On Apr 29, 2019
Bluffly:

How do you know which was pronounced. Give more examples in writing usage
"Am" is the first person singular of the verb be, and it is used only for First Person Singular Pronoun “I”.
This also means that you cannot start a sentence with "am". Example: Am going to be a father next week. This is grammatically wrong.
The correct one is: I am going to be a father next week.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by mrkings84(m): 9:29pm On Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for the correction, am coming!!

But o, when can "AM" be used without involving "I', like seriously??
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Bluffly: 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2019
Timijo:
This also means that you cannot start a sentence with "am". Example: Am going to be a father next week. This is grammatically wrong.
The correct one is: I am going to be a father next week.

Make a sentence with "Am"
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 10:16pm On Apr 29, 2019
Bluffly:

Make a sentence with "Am"
Did you understand the explanation?
You cannot make a sentence with only "Am". It must go with first person pronoun I.
For examples:
I am going home.

I am working on my computer.

The contracted form of "I am" is "I'm", and that is what some people pronounce as "am".
You can use "Am" to begin a question.
Examples:
Am I depositing enough money in the account?
The sentence: I am going home can be changed into a question like this: Am I going home?
Here is another example: Where am I right now?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 10:19pm On Apr 29, 2019
mrkings84:
Thanks for the correction, am coming!!

But o, when can "AM" be used without involving "I', like seriously??
If you say or write, "Am coming", it is wrong.
The correct one is: I'm coming.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Kenmatt(m): 10:25pm On Apr 29, 2019
femi4:
AM is a verb

"Am" cannot make a sense in English grammar, it has to flow with "I", as you have pointed out above. It's a senseless tense in sentence.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 10:35pm On Apr 29, 2019
You cannot make a sentence with only "Am". It must go with first person pronoun I.
For examples:
I am going home.

The contracted form of "I am" is "I'm", and that is what some people pronounce as "am".
Examples:
The sentence: I am going home can be changed into a question like this: Am I going home?
Another examples:
Where am I right now?
With whom am I speaking?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Thegamingorca(m): 10:41pm On Apr 29, 2019
AntiBrutus:

Same here. I can't deal abeg grin.

Lol who una dey form for?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Destinychigozie: 11:12pm On Apr 29, 2019
Who English epp? u won send us lust Angeles make i 4 go lust.... .. ..... English is a borrowed language u don't expect us to speak it fluently as the owners let's work towards our language atleast together we can make our spoken language great again especially our ladies that form while speaking borrowed language finally the might end up speaking thrash our yeyebrity and forming are lyk 5&5 Igbo amaka
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by femi4: 3:53am On Apr 30, 2019
Kenmatt:

"Am" cannot make a sense in English grammar, it has to flow with "I", as you have pointed out above. It's a senseless tense in sentence.
We are not communicating

"Op, you said "Am" is a verb, plet can you give me an example where "Am" functions as a verb"

I responded to that part of your question to show you that AM is a verb. The Helping verb or auxiliary verb
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by sprints1: 5:18am On Apr 30, 2019
adecamp:

Thanks.
pele oo creative writing teacher
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Greatfullheart: 6:43am On Apr 30, 2019
What If for Example; some Asked you a Question? First Person; come let's Apples? Now which do You Use?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by ireneidiva(f): 6:56am On Apr 30, 2019
reservd:
Too many make this error , initially I thought pple were doing it as abbrevatn while typing bt I'v come to realise that as not the case, is it the foundation teachers or who is to be blamed. It's common among those born in d late 90s and after
Your write up is even worse.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Bluffly: 7:02am On Apr 30, 2019
Timijo:
Did you understand the explanation?
For examples:
I am going home.

Examples:
Here is another example: Where am I right now?
That's my point. You have just used "Am" in a sentence. It is called interrogative sentence. So do not say you can not start a sentence with "Am" only if you will say you cannot start a declarative sentence with "Am" and likewise others
Types of Sentences
Declarative sentence,imperative sentence, interrogative sentence,exclamatory sentence
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Hollyharjii: 7:56am On Apr 30, 2019
Educative indeed!

Jennifer Diary contribute to this little mistakes also aa fans are been carried away with her use of english but making her daily living from there.

May God help us
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by reservd(m): 8:21am On Apr 30, 2019
ireneidiva:

Your write up is even worse.
Thank you
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Timijo(m): 8:47am On Apr 30, 2019
femi4:
We are not communicating

"Op, you said "Am" is a verb, plet can you give me an example where "Am" functions as a verb"

I responded to that part of your question to show you that AM is a verb. The Helping verb or auxiliary verb
'Am' is an example of verb 'to be' or helping verb.
Example:
I am going to the store.
In this sentence, 'am' is a helping verb, and the complete verb in the sentence is 'am going.'
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by LordKO(m): 3:23pm On Apr 30, 2019
AntiBrutus:

Same here. I can't deal abeg grin.

Milady the professor. The aggregate of your virtual demeanor always reminds me of someone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNIABUJA Male Student Allegedlly Wanking While Peeping Into Female Hostel / 'Bala-Blu, Blu-Blu' Spotted In Nasarawa State University Exam Question / Do U Remember Doing This While U Were In The University... (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.