Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" (53598 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / I Just Checked My Uniben Post Utme Result And I'm So Happy! / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by ibkayee(f): 6:06pm On Apr 29, 2019
We need a thread about Nigerians saying throwing ‘a shade’/‘shades’ lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Anonymous4: 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2019
Even the writer doesn't explain very well "I am" "I,'m" and "Am" are all the same just that.. You can't start a sentence with "Am".. stop confusing people.. E.g Where are you going?
I'm going to the market not "Am going to the market"
but Where are you going?.. I need some groceries so am going to the market" .. Take note
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by chakula: 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2019
Am is also part of verb to be which they are eight in forms. Namely: is, am, was, were, are, be, being, been.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by denjjy(m): 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
anyhow e be..... Lo be e
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Originalsly: 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
Wayyyyy too many people use am instead of I'm. I guess since so many graduates use it then it must be correct so others follow. It's one thing to use it in casual talk...same way one would speak pidgin.... but when correct English is required....as in interviews... written tests.... too many don't adjust and in the end are shocked at why they were unsuccessful at the interview... even though they had the best academic qualifications. Am I'm out.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
no be Nigerians dey use

I wan buy granning or grounded pepper

instead of ground pepper

no offence people as money is all I need now. I don do menial jobs tire & no savings.

oh Lord Almighty bless me today with power to invent a product dat will be in 1billion hands I don't mind making 10 naira per product but let it enter every homes within your best time. If nobody need me, fine but they can't do without my product.

Please help me quote & type amen
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Halezis(m): 6:15pm On Apr 29, 2019
Is there anyway you can make this get to all Nigerian girls, especially the slay queens? grin cheesy
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Greatfullheart: 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2019
So I've Saying Thrash all This While.

1 Share

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Fourwinds: 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2019
I have observed that here on nairaland... I just have to ignore such blunder.... It is very annoying
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Halezis(m): 6:19pm On Apr 29, 2019
ibkayee:
We need a thread about Nigerians saying throwing ‘a shade’/‘shades’ lipsrsealed

Should be throwing spades ba? Lmao lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 29, 2019
It’s the most irritating thing ever. Use ‘am’ for me and I completely lose interest in the conversation.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Platony(m): 6:22pm On Apr 29, 2019
I can bet u C. Ronaldo don't know about this & doesn't care to know but he's richer than your State.

Who Am abi Yam epp!!

Nonsense & English Language!!

Baba God Bless ma hustle, no be English dey do me. angry angry
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Lovexme(m): 6:22pm On Apr 29, 2019
This is very basic. Any one with a basic knowledge of English language ought to know the difference and how each is used in sentences.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by ItzBIM(m): 6:24pm On Apr 29, 2019
chukwunedum150:
as if you are perfect

No one is.

But I take corrections.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Fourwinds: 6:24pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anonymous4:
Even the writer doesn't explain very well "I am" "I,'m" and "Am" are all the same just that.. You can't start a sentence with "Am".. stop confusing people.. E.g Where are you going?
but Where are you going?.. I need some groceries so am going to the market" .. Take note
you are wrong again... "Am" cannot start stand alone... It needs a pronoun..

Where you wrote "So am going to the market "
Should be.. So, I am going to the market.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Platony(m): 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2019
Truest:
no be Nigerians dey use

I wan buy granning or grounded pepper

instead of ground pepper

no offence people as money is all I need now. I don do menial jobs tire & no savings.

oh Lord Almighty bless me today with power to invent a product dat will be in 1billion hands I don't mind making 10 naira per product but let it enter every homes within your best time. If nobody need me, fine but they can't do without my product.

Please help me quote & type amen

Amen my brother. Na money be English, Mathematics, Social Studies, all d subject combined together. Money pass all of them!!
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2019
Saffi:
It’s the most irritating thing ever. Use ‘am’ for me and I completely lose interest in the conversation.

Same here. I can't deal abeg grin.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by ncpat(m): 6:39pm On Apr 29, 2019
Let me share more details to this topic, I am is always pronounced as am when speaking but it can never be used in writing so there is nothing like am going home so it should be "I'm going home"

Check these examples below and see why I marked I'm wrong in the first place and right in the second place

1. I am going home (correct)
2. I'm going home (wrong)

I know people will be saying what is this one saying, well, you can never write I'm without a quotation mark because you are quoting someone by writing the short form of I am as I'm, therefore there must be a quotation mark to show you are quoting someone's speech.

2. " I'm going home" (correct)

Check this writing below. Let's assume I am writing a Novel.

I told Tunde that I am going home and he looked at me and said "if you're going home, I'm going with you " then I knew he was serious.

You can now see that mine appears as I am because lam writing while Tunde's own appears as I'm because I am quoting him. You can also notice are changed to 're

To understand this issues properly get yourself a novel and you will see that the following below must be inside a quotation mark.

I am " I'm "

I will " I'll "

You are " you 're "

Hope I contributed a little.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by mich2012: 6:41pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anonymous4:
but Where are you going?.. I need some groceries so [b]am [/b]going to the market" .. Take note

I beg to differ. If I'm not wrong, "am" is a first person singular present of "be" which can not stand alone. It's almost impossible to use "am" in isolation of the first person subject "I" unless in the form of question where "am" comes before e.g "Am I tall?"

Considering your example, you have used two "clauses" with a conjunction "so".

Now we can break it down thus : I need some groceries /so/ am going to the market

The first part of your sentence makes sense because it has an action word "need" hence, it can stand alone. "I need some groceries"
The second part can also stand alone because of the to do action word "going" so you can (not) say "Am going to the market"

So you see where you've got it wrong to the best of my knowledge. Both clauses can stand alone but you definitely can not start the second clause with "am" as you have suggested. The correct sentence should be:

"I need some groceries" /so/ "I am going to the market"

I stand to be corrected

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by iamFabulouz01(m): 6:48pm On Apr 29, 2019
mathinips:
Sorry bro, ask Baba Buhari if this is a requirement to become a President of Federal Republic of Nigeria
���
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by adecamp(m): 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anonymous4:
the highlighted italics is wrong. It is: "I need some groceries so I'm( I am) going to the market". Don't forget "I'm" is short for "I am".
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by titiloyeblog: 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2019
lovelygurl:

Yes, a helping verb

Okay. Thanks
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by lacidi: 7:05pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anonymous4:
You are wrong please. Why are you making emphatic statements when you are not sure of what you are saying. I'm is the short form of I am. Just like don't is the short form of do not. Am is used primarily in a question e.g. Am I lazy? Am I going to be late for work? Am I a Nigerian or Italian? In this form it has nothing to do with 'I am'.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Achz(m): 7:18pm On Apr 29, 2019
So make we troway "AM" abi?
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Gforce2019: 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2019
adecamp:
A whole lot of people make this mistake. Let me break it down. "Am" is a verb while "I'm" which is the short form for "I am" is used to modify a verb or stands as a sentence as the case may be.

Examples: if you are asked, "How are you ?"
You say, "I'm fine". Meaning "I am fine". But if you are asked " How are you ?" and you reply "Am fine". The statement " Am fine" does not have a meaning whatsoever.

Other examples are "I'm coming home now"(correct)..."Am coming home now"(Extremely wrong). We should please take note of simple blunders like this because, we might find ourselves talking to someone of higher calibre and making grammatical errors like this speaks little of us and also, in letter writing or essays, mistakes like this is minus 1/2 and imagine you use "Am" like 20 times, that is minus 10 Marks for a simple mistake that would have easily been a bonus point.

Thanks.

Ipob crew, una dey hear? Because most of una no sabi write or speak good english.

Nah only buhari una sabi abuse.
Omo iran-ki-ran
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Gforce2019: 7:27pm On Apr 29, 2019
ncpat:
Let me share more details to this topic, I am is always pronounced as am when speaking but it can never be used in writing so there is nothing like am going home so it should be "I'm going home"

Check these examples below and see why I marked I'm wrong in the first place and right in the second place

2. I'm going home (wrong)

I know people will be saying what is this one saying, well, you can never write I'm without a quotation mark because you are quoting someone by writing the short form of I am as I'm, therefore there must be a quotation mark to show you are quoting someone's speech.

2. " I'm going home" (correct)

Check this writing below. Let's assume I am writing a Novel.

I told Tunde that I am going home and he looked at me and said "if you're going home, I'm going with you " then I knew he was serious.

You can now see that mine appears as I am because lam writing while Tunde's own appears as I'm because I am quoting him. You can also notice are changed to 're

To understand this issues properly get yourself a novel and you will see that the following below must be inside a quotation mark.

I am " I'm "

I will " I'll "

You are " you 're "

Hope I contributed a little.

I tot the apostrophe is often use to abbreviate words. What you now explained surprised me.
Anyway, we are learning everyday.
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by Richy150(m): 7:27pm On Apr 29, 2019
BUSHHUNTER:
Even primary students are aware of this!

That's a lie Ma/Sir
Re: Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" by 108Rose160: 7:34pm On Apr 29, 2019
see this

@/@/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do U Remember Doing This While U Were In The University... (photos) / Moment A Graduating Lady Ignored Handshake From Her Teachers / The Cambridge Black Boys’ Photo That Went Viral! Mostly Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.