Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT (12209 Views)

Sagay Reveals Those Questioning Buhari Govt’s Anti-corruption War / Akpabio’s Defection Puts Buhari’s Anti-corruption War Under The Spotlight / Akpabio"s Defection : The Hypocrisy Of President Buhari's Anti Corruption War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by NaijaFutbol: 6:37am On Apr 30, 2019
Buhari has no idea how to fight corruption. He only understands how to fight his enemies

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 30, 2019
oz4real83:
The Nigerian constitution also made it clear that in a situation where the president fails to assent to a bill within a stipulated period,the NASS can pass such bills by a vote of two-third majority of the house. Why can't the NASS by-pass the president and do the needful?. They will never do that because they are one of the major beneficiaries of corruption. PDP will always equal APC and APC equals PDP in my own submission because they are the same set of people putting on the uniforms of different political parties.

So you will not say anything about buhari?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Reference(m): 6:50am On Apr 30, 2019
Governments come and go, the people remain through them all. If a leader is a bit interested in changing society and leaving a legacy, surely hhe must cinsider and activrly involve this recurring decimsl called, the people. Demicracies all over the workd engage the instrumentality of psrliaments to effect lasting change.

This keen desire for autocratic style leadership is just not in step with modern day democracy and I'm afraid there will be very littlepositives left to remember when this government is gone, just like it was way back in 1985, the same mistakes ate repeated over again.

Engage the people and they will jealously guard your legacy well beyond your time in office. Look at 'Obamacare'. The man is gone but the policy is vigorously defended in Congress and on the streets despite the tena ious opposition of the incumbent Republican government.... simply because its origins and passage into law in the first place was subject to intense scrutiny and widespread debate. So that though it bears his name, its content and acts were universally domiciled amongst ordinary people. Obama's legacy is secured.

Our leaders must learn from this and stop this narrow minded, self centered approach to governance. The world's history books are filled with tales of dictatorships we choose not to remember with any fondness. But those of true leaders who have changed history for the positive remain in the hearts amd minds of the beneficiaries for ever.

Mr Buhari has another 4 years to secure his legacy. The people are waiting.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by frankyychiji(f): 7:11am On Apr 30, 2019
Reference:
Governments come and go, the people remain through them all. If a leader is a bit interested in changing society and leaving a legacy, surely hhe must cinsider and activrly involve this recurring decimsl called, the people. Demicracies all over the workd engage the instrumentality of psrliaments to effect lasting change.

This keen desire for autocratic style leadership is just not in step with modern day democracy and I'm afraid there will be very littlepositives left to remember when this government is gone, just like it was way back in 1985, the same mistakes ate repeated over again.

Engage the people and they will jealously guard your legacy well beyond your time in office. Look at 'Obamacare'. The man is gone but the policy is vigorously defended in Congress and on the streets despite the tena ious opposition of the incumbent Republican government.... simply because its origins and passage into law in the first place was subject to intense scrutiny and widespread debate. So that though it bears his name, its content and acts were universally domiciled amongst ordinary people. Obama's legacy is secured.

Our leaders must learn from this and stop this narrow minded, self centered approach to governance. The world's history books are filled with tales of dictatorships we choose not to remember with any fondness. But those of true leaders who have changed history for the positive remain in the hearts amd minds of the beneficiaries for ever.

Mr Buhari has another 4 years to secure his legacy. The people are waiting.
This is expecting too much from a lifeless president.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by happney65: 7:41am On Apr 30, 2019
In the words of an average buharist,it us saraki and co that did not allow buhari to function..stupid people
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Glorymax: 8:10am On Apr 30, 2019
A superlative bill left to rot like many others. I just don't know who to blame again for this country's woe
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by balonaija(f): 8:35am On Apr 30, 2019
I don't believe this.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by oz4real83(m): 9:17am On Apr 30, 2019
maynia:

So you will not say anything about buhari?
my statement already covered buhari. What evil is buhari doing now that PDP has not done before?. Is it election rigging,pretending to fight corruption,appointing loyalists and so many other evil? PDP has also done them before. Buhari/APC is only consolidating on the evil foundation laid by the military and PDP. That's why I will always conclude by saying PDP=APC and APC=PDP
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Nobody: 9:30am On Apr 30, 2019
oz4real83:
my statement already covered buhari. What evil is buhari doing now that PDP has not done before?. Is it election rigging,pretending to fight corruption,appointing loyalists and so many other evil? PDP has also done them before. Buhari/APC is only consolidating on the evil foundation laid by the military and PDP. That's why I will always conclude by saying PDP=APC and APC=PDP

So if PDP did it, buhari and apc will have to do it too?

Then, if an apga enters their too, hin self go do hin own?

Like that, like that

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by oz4real83(m): 9:48am On Apr 30, 2019
maynia:

So if PDP did it, buhari and apc will have to do it too?

Then, if an apga enters their too, hin self go do hin own?

Like that, like that
if u read my first statement without any bias,u will realize that my statement is clearly telling us that APC or PDP can not help Nigeria because they are the same set of individuals. If any PDP members were to be in buhari's position,they will do exactly the same thing that buhari is doing now. Nigerians must recognise and completely reject these sets of people if we are to move forward.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Kennydoc(m): 11:16am On Apr 30, 2019
oz4real83:
The Nigerian constitution also made it clear that in a situation where the president fails to assent to a bill within a stipulated period,the NASS can pass such bills by a vote of two-third majority of the house. Why can't the NASS by-pass the president and do the needful?. They will never do that because they are one of the major beneficiaries of corruption. PDP will always equal APC and APC equals PDP in my own submission because they are the same set of people putting on the uniforms of different political parties.
If the president refuses to assent to it, chances are higher that most APC legislators won't vote in support of it cos it will be seen as going against their party interest which Buhari represents. It will thus be almost impossible to get 2/3 majority votes on it.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Pentasoft1978: 1:39pm On Apr 30, 2019
Bihari is not an hypocrite, he is an illiterate ....he does not know, he is confused.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by bishopkay: 1:57pm On Apr 30, 2019
seunmsg:
The president will give his war on corruption a real boost by signing the audit bill. The current audit ordinance act of 1956 is old, archaic, and inadequate to cater for current trends in auditing. I want to believe that the president is still studying the details of the bill and as soon as he’s done, he will assent to the bill.

Thought you and your vile ilk are of the opinion Saraki is destroying the dullard's government? You people said Saraki is fighting against the anti corruption war but same Saraki handed over a bill for accountability to your dull president and the fool refused to assent to it as usual.

Na God go punish all of una when no want this country to go forward.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Akainzo(m): 2:09pm On Apr 30, 2019
bishopkay:

Thought you and your vile ilk are of the opinion Saraki is destroying the dullard's government? You people said Saraki is fighting against the anti corruption war but same Saraki handed over a bill for accountability to your dull president and the fool refused to assent to it as usual.

Na God go punish all of una when no want this country to go forward.

So what has stopped the Saraki led Senate from overriding the President by passing the bill into law through a 2/3 majority vote in the NASS?
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by bishopkay: 4:51pm On Apr 30, 2019
Akainzo:

So what has stopped the Saraki led Senate from overriding the President by passing the bill into law through a 2/3 majority vote in the NASS?

When you answer the question I asked then I'd give you a robust reply. But perhaps I should give you a sneak peak into what happened when the national assembly wanted to override the electoral bills and some others before and after it?

Some senators of the APC said the Saraki led national assembly wanted to embarrass and humiliate the president hence they worked against ever getting a 2/3 veto to override the president's stance. Does it ring any bells?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by biztip: 9:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
buhari is a maggot
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by ivandragon: 2:22pm On May 01, 2019
bishopkay:

When you answer the question I asked then I'd give you a robust reply. But perhaps I should give you a sneak peak into what happened when the national assembly wanted to override the electoral bills and some others before and after it?

Some senators of the APC said the Saraki led national assembly wanted to embarrass and humiliate the president hence they worked against ever getting a 2/3 veto to override the president's stance. Does it ring any bells?

& what you have submitted is the crux of the matter.

PMB has succeeded in painting other arms of government as unpatriotic, thieving pests to the extent that when they move to take positive actions which are against the interest of PMB, the vultures in support of PMB in those areas rise up & misrepresent whatever inherent good intentions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Akainzo(m): 5:00pm On May 02, 2019
bishopkay:

In essence you are saying the bill doesn't have enough support amongst the NASS members for them to override the President.
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by bishopkay: 6:33pm On May 02, 2019
Akainzo:

In essence you are saying the bill doesn't have enough support amongst the NASS members for them to override the President.

I'd the bill didn't have the support of the legislators, there's no way it could have scaled first second and third readings.

What I am saying is emphasized in the stupid partisan mentality associated with Nigerian legislators especially members of the APC in this current dispensation where good bills would the president refused to assent to are fought against by the legislators because they think it would embarrass the president. Meaning the president is our law and guide and whatever he is uncomfortable with, all Nigerians should automatically feel the brunt too no matter how beneficial the hitherto bill would be for people. Then we also have some very mad supporters who feel the country and everything ought to revolve around the president, his whims and caprices.

Hope you understand me now my friend
Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Akainzo(m): 8:28am On May 03, 2019
bishopkay:

I'd the bill didn't have the support of the legislators, there's no way it could have scaled first second and third readings.

What I am saying is emphasized in the stupid partisan mentality associated with Nigerian legislators especially members of the APC in this current dispensation where good bills would the president refused to assent to are fought against by the legislators because they think it would embarrass the president. Meaning the president is our law and guide and whatever he is uncomfortable with, all Nigerians should automatically feel the brunt too no matter how beneficial the hitherto bill would be for people. Then we also have some very mad supporters who feel the country and everything ought to revolve around the president, his whims and caprices.

Hope you understand me now my friend

You obviously missed the fact that there are different requirements for passing a bill for assent and overriding the President.

For passing a bill, the NASS needs a simple majority of those that were in the auditorium on the day of the decision, thus for Senate, that is 16 votes!

To override the President requires a 2/3 Majority of the entire NASS => 2/3 of 469 = 310 Votes!

To muster such number requires so much politicking and an assurance that the said Bill is going to enjoy widespread support by the populace. Leave all the talk of embarrassing the President, all is politics. The real thing is knowing that getting the 310 votes is a herculean task.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by bishopkay: 8:43am On May 03, 2019
Akainzo:

You obviously missed the fact that there are different requirements for passing a bill for assent and overriding the President.

For passing a bill, the NASS needs a simple majority of those that were in the auditorium on the day of the decision, thus for Senate, that is 16 votes!

To override the President requires a 2/3 Majority of the entire NASS => 2/3 of 469 = 310 Votes!

To muster such number requires so much politicking and an assurance that the said Bill is going to enjoy widespread support by the populace. Leave all the talk of embarrassing the President, all is politics. The real thing is knowing that getting the 310 votes is a herculean task.

And this is where I based my argument. 2/3 of the national assembly is needed to override the bill. Now in saner climates, would that be a problem for a bill that makes governance more transparent?

Imagine a presiden who rode to power the first time on claims of fighting corruption yet when the bill to enable accountability is brought to him, he suddenly develops cold feet yet his gullible supporters still believe he's fighting corruption

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: How Buhari Is Suppressing Own Govt's Anti-corruption War - PT by Akainzo(m): 9:04am On May 03, 2019
bishopkay:

And this is where I based my argument. 2/3 of the national assembly is needed to override the bill. Now in saner climates, would that be a problem for a bill that makes governance more transparent?

Imagine a presiden who rode to power the first time on claims of fighting corruption yet when the bill to enable accountability is brought to him, he suddenly develops cold feet yet his gullible supporters still believe he's fighting corruption

That the Police don't arrest all criminals at once, or make mistakes to allow some criminals get away does not imply the Police is not doing its work!

That the President hasn't signed this particular law does not imply that he isn't fighting corruption. Evaluating life on the basis of absolutes of ALL or NOTHING is not a very good philosophy. Life is not Black or White, but varying shades of Grey, plus every successful person learns to choose their battles.

The key question is, if the lawmakers who are representative of the people and who actually have the oversight responsibility that the Audit is supposed to facilitate cannot believe so much in the Bill as to move to override the President, then maybe there is something more than just the Bill.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023 Elections: I Supported Tinubu, Worked Against Atiku 100% — Fayose (Video) / Kaduna Assembly Passes Bill On Master Plan Into Law / Fayose Distributes N10Million Grant To Artisans In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.