Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,759 members, 7,862,490 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:59 PM

North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw (1130 Views)

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa / I Built Aso Rock, Who Is The Landlord You Pay Rent To?-IBB To Buhari / Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Beaf: 12:50am On Sep 20, 2010
[size=14pt]North mounts pressure on IBB to withdraw[/size]
•The Gusau connection
•IBB, Ojukwu hold secret meeting
Written by Tayo Babarinde and Jude Ossai
Monday, 20 September 2010

FORMER military president, General Ibrahim Babangida,  has come under intense pressure from top northern political leaders to withdraw from the 2011 presidential race and pave the way for the emergence of a consensus presidential candidate of northern extraction in the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The development is sequel to the failure of all efforts to prevail on the immediate National Security Adviser, Major General Aliyu Gusau, not to join the race.

Gusau formally announced his presidential aspiration, at the weekend, with his withdrawal from President Goodluck Jonathan’s government. Gusau had been in the news for several months over his presidential ambition, which had also put him under some pressure from northern leaders who pleaded that he should not join the race and weaken the chances of the North to present a consensus candidate.

It was reliably gathered that Gusau’s eventual entry into the race signified the ultimate failure of all efforts of northern leaders to stop him.

According to reliable sources, Gusau had agreed with the northern leaders, comprising first and second republic top politicians and eminent traditional rulers that the chances of the North picking the presidential ticket of the PDP would be enhanced if there was only one candidate from the North. He was, however, quoted as saying that he would withdraw from the race only if the leaders could prevail on General  Babangida to also withdraw.

According to different sources, the intelligence chief advanced two reasons for his determination to contest the presidency if Babangida remained in the race.

[size=14pt]He said when they overthrew the government of General Muhammadu Buhari in 1985, it was on the understanding that he, General Babangida and the late General Sani Abacha would govern the country in turn. Babangida and Abacha had their turns, leaving him as the only one left to have his turn as president of Nigeria. He was said to have expressed dismay that each time he sought to actualise his dream of becoming president, General Babangida, who had ruled the country for eight years, would also throw his hat into the ring.[/size]

In 2007, when General Gusau sought to succeed former President Olusegun Obasanjo from the vantage of National Security Adviser, General Babangida also nursed the ambition of  joining the race.

The second reason advanced for his insistence on contesting the election is the marriage of Aisha, General Babangida’s daughter, to the governor of Zamfara State, Alhaji Aliyu Shinkafi.

Shinkafi  had been married to the niece of General Gusau, who reportedly grew up under the IBB’s roof. When Shinkafi later married Aisha, with the consent of Babangida, Gusau was said to have been aggrieved by the fact that General Babangida never raised the issue with him, even when it became obvious that the governor’s marriage to Aisha had put a big wedge between Gusau’s niece and her husband.

It was gathered that each time Gusau recalled his frustrations in his relationship with Babangida and insisted on not leaving the space for his former Commander-in-Chief, the northern leaders came to the conclusion that the actualisation of their dream of a single northern candidate would remain a pipe dream unless Babangida withdrew from the race.

“It is clear that Gusau will remain in the race as long as Babangida is in the race,” said a source close to the campaign organi-sation of General Aliyu Gusau.

The concern at the weekend among northern leaders is that if Gusau was ready to step down on the condition of Babangida’s   withdrawal, their best bet was to prevail on Baban-gida to withdraw from the race.

If that happened and Gusau withdrew as he had promised, that would leave the leaders with only two aspirants to contend with, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and the Kwara State governor, Dr Bukola Saraki.

Gusau’s media assistant, Mr Bisi Adekunle, on Sunday, told the Nigerian Tribune on the phone that he (Gusau) would be at the national headquarters of the PDP today to obtain his expression of interest and nomination forms.

According to him, “the NSA resigned on Friday to enable him to contest the presidential election in the PDP.”

General Gusau was appointed by President Jonathan in the aftermath of the handling of the health situation of the late President Umaru Yar’Adua in March, to replace General Sarki Mukhtar, who held the post since the inception of the Yar’Adua/Jonathan administration in 2007.

He had previously served in the same capacity under the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo from 1999 to 2007.

Mr Adekunle also confirmed that General Gusau had appointed Senator Ben Obi, who was the running mate to former Vice-President Abubakar in 2007 election on the ticket of the Action Congress (AC), as the director-general (DG) of his campaign,

Meanwhile, General Babangida, on Sunday, held a closed door meeting with erstwhile Biafran leader, Chief Emeka Ojukwu, at his Enugu residence, apparently to discuss the possibility of working together for the 2011 general election.

Although the ex-military ruler did not make his mission public, an inside source told the Nigerian Tribune in Enugu that Babangida’s visit might not be unconnected with his quest to rule the country again.

It was learnt that General Babangida, during the visit, appealed for the support of the Ndigbo as he urged the former Biafran leader to use his vantage position to support his presidential ambition.

Fielding questions from reporters at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, Babangida, who was accompanied by  former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, Director-General of IBB campaign organisation, Dr Raymond Dopkesi, former governorship candidate of National Democratic Party (NDP) in Anambra State, Chief Obinna Uzo, one-time member of Enugu State House of Assembly, Joseph Onoh, among other personalities, said he was  in Enugu on a visit to Ojukwu.

“My visit to Ojukwu was a courtesy visit, don’t forget that we were all together in the military and as a very senior officer, I owe him that respect. I respect him because he is also an elder statesman,” IBB said.

When asked why his campaign project seems to be enjoying support from prominent Igbo leaders, the erstwhile military president, clad in a brown Agbada brocade, said “it is simply because my past records are there to speak for me, and I love Ndigbo; they are my friends.”

On the alleged plans by the northern presidential aspirants to produce a consensus candidate ahead of the 2011 presidential poll, General Babangida, who arrived at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport aboard a private helicopter, with registration number 5-BLI, said “all the gladiators in the exercise are currently working together with a view to striking an accord.”

The former military president and his entourage left Enugu for Owerri Airport, as the Enugu Airport had been shut down due to ongoing upgrading of its facilities.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/11293-north-mounts-pressure-on-ibb-to-withdraw-the-gusau-connection-ibb-ojukwu-hold-secret-meeting
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Beaf: 12:54am On Sep 20, 2010
Bye bye IBB, as things fall apart!

. . .Run off to ANPP where you shall be defeated, after which your life will respond to the blood of babies, the blood of Dele giwa, the blood of Vatsa, the blood of MKO, the blood of thousands of innocent souls. . . Calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling, calling. . .

Doom, Vengeance, Justice! cool
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by kosovo(m): 12:59am On Sep 20, 2010
Pathetic story, who represents the North?,
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by sbeezy8: 1:01am On Sep 20, 2010
hmm toomuch conniving in naija shet!

Atiku and saraki are the northerners ONLY choice. I think its funny to see the north splitting themselves.

I actually heard Gasau is very nice. LOL ironic

kosovo:

in pdp
Gasau
IBB
Saraki
Atiku

now who represents the south?
Jonathan LOL
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Beaf: 1:08am On Sep 20, 2010
I can see the "Northern" charge imploding, cos IBB ain't giving way to Atiku or Gusau, even worse Saraki.

---Beaf quietly pulls up ringside sit (with a chilled Piña Colada) to watch "the best way to implode" contest--- grin
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by HighChief4(m): 1:09am On Sep 20, 2010
IBB has failed almost everybody in his life
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by AkinEgba: 1:22am On Sep 20, 2010
sbeezy8:

hmm toomuch conniving in naija shet!

Atiku and saraki are the northerners ONLY choice. I think its funny to see the north splitting themselves.

I actually heard Gasau is very nice. LOL ironic

in pdp
Gasau
IBB
Saraki
Atiku

now who represents the south?
Jonathan LOL

Is it now a north-south war?
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Nobody: 2:29am On Sep 20, 2010
kosovo:

As far as I am concerned, the North has not produced a candidate yet. It is still a one horse race in favour of GEJ. Sadly, this election might not be as interesting as many pundits are speculating it to be.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by TewMuch: 2:57am On Sep 20, 2010
Good for them.They are begining to realise that it is no more business as usual.Its not about who can steal Nigeria the most.Even that one don tire us as the harm it does to people is in epic porportions.They should let young, educated people with a wonderful track record contest.Business as usual has gone extinct.No to IBB.Wey OnlyTruth?
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by knotty(m): 6:49am On Sep 20, 2010
[When asked why his campaign project seems to be enjoying support from prominent Igbo leaders, the erstwhile military president, clad in a brown Agbada brocade, said “it is simply because my past records are there to speak for me, and I love Ndigbo; they are my friends.”

When did IBB release phono records? I am not aware. Maybe he did and there were not hit records, so we never got to hear of them.

or perhaps too, he sang his records in igbo.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by slap1(m): 7:41am On Sep 20, 2010
knotty:

[When asked why his campaign project seems to be enjoying support from prominent Igbo leaders, the erstwhile military president, clad in a brown Agbada brocade, said “it is simply because my past records are there to speak for me, and I love Ndigbo; they are my friends.”

When did IBB release phono records? I am not aware. Maybe he did and there were not hit records, so we never got to hear of them.

or perhaps too, he sang his records in igbo.
Can someone educate me more on this. Aside Ojukwu -- who is fast losing respect in Igbo land -- which other "prominent Igbo leader(s)" supports IBB?
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 20, 2010
slap1:

Can someone educate me more on this. Aside Ojukwu -- who is fast losing respect in Igbo land -- which other "prominent Igbo leader(s)" supports IBB?
The general perception which i believed IBB may have counted on is that since Ikemba is the supreme leader of the ibo,any statement attributed with/to cover the whole ibo generation.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by slap1(m): 8:09am On Sep 20, 2010
^I thought as much. It's a good thing IBB is supported by a big, weak pillar.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by ayo84(m): 8:17am On Sep 20, 2010
instead for this northerners to rally behind a credible leader like ribadu or bihari, al we hear is ll these corrupt entities like gusau and

IBB, and who the hell is saraki, i thought he;s a full blooded yoruba man
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by slap1(m): 8:25am On Sep 20, 2010
ayo84:

instead for this northerners to rally behind a credible leader like ribadu or bihari, al we hear is ll these corrupt entities like gusau and

Rotfl. Didn't know Hausa people answer Bukola and Olusola. The True Extent of Ala-Hausa.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by rasputinn(m): 9:02am On Sep 20, 2010
For where?Mr Babangida,dont agree with them ooo,just hang in there with your nuisance value so you can help Jonathan split the votes of the myopic ones that still think it's gotta be someone else other than GEJ
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by sarmy(m): 9:29am On Sep 20, 2010

He said when they overthrew the government of General Muhammadu Buhari in 1985, it was on the understanding that he, General Babangida and the late General Sani Abacha would govern the country in turn. Babangida and Abacha had their turns, leaving him as the only one left to have his turn as president of Nigeria. He was said to have expressed dismay that each time he sought to actualise his dream of becoming president, General Babangida, who had ruled the country for eight years, would also throw his hat into the ring.

This is very serious!!!

Sharing formula, please God have mercy on this our 9geria for the sake of unborn children
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by oderemo(m): 9:46am On Sep 20, 2010
He said when they overthrew the government of General Muhammadu Buhari in 1985, it was on the understanding that he, General Babangida and the late General Sani Abacha would govern the country in turn. Babangida and Abacha had their turns, leaving him as the only one left to have his turn as president of Nigeria. He was said to have expressed dismay that each time he sought to actualise his dream of becoming president, General Babangida, who had ruled the country for eight years, would also throw his hat into the ring.

na wa oh. a country ruled by a sharing formula will collapse under the weight of that same formular.
we shall see how it will all pan out.
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by ayo84(m): 11:01am On Sep 20, 2010

Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 20, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]North mounts pressure on IBB to withdraw[/size]

[size=14pt]He said when they overthrew the government of General Muhammadu Buhari in 1985, it was on the understanding that he, General Babangida and the late General Sani Abacha would govern the country in turn. Babangida and Abacha had their turns, leaving him as the only one left to have his turn as president of Nigeria. He was said to have expressed dismay that each time he sought to actualise his dream of becoming president, General Babangida, who had ruled the country for eight years, would also throw his hat into the ring.[/size]

[size=14pt]If this is true, then it calls for serious concern. [/size]
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Beaf: 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2010
dappssee:

[size=14pt]If this is true, then it calls for serious concern. [/size]

It just goes to show that "zoning" is not new. Nigerians have been treated like fools for very long now by the same corrupt band of thieves who are now clamouring for a selection, instead of an election.

Here it is again, for emphasis;

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: North Mounts Pressure On IBB To Withdraw by Solomon227(m): 2:12pm On Sep 20, 2010
[size=14pt]North mounts pressure on IBB to withdraw

If this is true, then it calls for serious concern.
[/size]

This is very sad. And they now talk about ZONING this ZONING that. We really need a conference to iron-out things. Imagine how people think of a collective destiny as a personal property.

Another evidence for my Ndigbo brothers. It's expedient to be at peace with a 'possibly unfolding evil' (in GEJ) than to settle for a well-established confirmed Evil (in IBB).

IBB will never leave that sit once he sits on it. He will terminate all oppositions and make sure his son succed him, mark my words!

(1) (Reply)

Another Six Students Kidnapped In Aba. / Worst First Lady In Nigeria N Why? / More Revealed Wikileaks Document On Nigeria: Evidence of Naija Govt Ineptitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.