Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

New Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Minimum Wage (413 Views)

New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary / New Minimum Wage Nationwide Strike Begins September 26 – Nigeria Labour Congress / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

New Minimum Wage by aremuforlife(m): 1:22pm On May 04, 2019
"Whenever they tell you that the new minimum wage in Nigeria is equivalent to £83 in the UK and as such, not worth celebrating, please tell them that the cheapest rent (a room) in the same UK is £250 per month, an equivalent of #120,000 per month, Nigerian money. Even if I dont know anything, I know that a single room in Nigeria does not cost #120,000 per month.

Also, tell them that an average undergraduate course in the UK costs £9000 per session (N4.2 million) compared with the less than N100k all federal universities and many state owned universities charge in Nigeria.

Since many of us enjoy making direct comparisons which fit into our narratives and deliberately ignore the nuances involved, what stops others from doing same?"

- Yetunde Onigbogi

Joy Olu commented:
"You can only get £250 a room in very remote areas. Rooms in my neighbourhood are from £600 a month."

Peter Ovie Akus added,
"Please tell them. It is those Nigerians who haven't lived overseas that make foolish comparisons like the one you just cited. The cost of living is far cheaper in Nigeria compared to the developed world even though standards are almost the same save for a few advantages in the developed. Imagine that I used to cut my hair for N300 (less than a dollar) in Nigeria, but I now cut it for $25 (N9,000) (which is the cheapest you can find) here in America. It is still the same haircut and style. There is no special design on it that differs from the one I used to have in Nigeria."
Copied
Re: New Minimum Wage by LuckyM: 2:58pm On May 04, 2019
Which minimum wage are you talking about? The one on paper or what?

(1) (Reply)

Late Olowo A Colossus In Law, Peace Advocacy Says Gov. Akeredolu / Diehard Ffk Fans Disagree With Him On Kwachikwu Islamization Agenda / Venezuelan President Receives Kalu, Vows To Strengthen Cooperation With Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.