Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,678 members, 7,865,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:28 AM

Pdp Primaries: Our Chances Are Bright – Gusau, Atiku ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Primaries: Our Chances Are Bright – Gusau, Atiku ! (530 Views)

Gusau Did Not Attend Katsina College With Buhari – Fani-Kayode / APC Gusau Rally LIVE - Holding In The Tick Of The Mid-night - See Photos / PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Gusau, Zamfara State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pdp Primaries: Our Chances Are Bright – Gusau, Atiku ! by wales(m): 6:15am On Sep 21, 2010
A former National Security Adviser, Lt. Gen. Aliyu Gusau (retd.), and erstwhile Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, have expressed optimism that they will emerge victorious at the Peoples Democratic Party Presidential primaries on October 23.

Gusau and Abubakar on Monday, in Abuja, said they were not discouraged because a sitting President (Dr. Goodluck Jonathan) was also in the race.

According to them, it is on record that sitting presidents, even in West Africa, have lost elections.

Gusau, who spoke with journalists after meeting with Jonathan in Abuja, said he had resigned as NSA to play an “active part in the 2011 electoral process.”

Though he once contested the Presidency and lost, he stressed, “I will give it a shot again.”

The ex-NSA was in company with his former deputy, Col. Kayode Are (retd.).

His encounter with the journalists ran thus:

Congratulations sir,

It’s not me you should congratulate, it’s him (pointing to Are).

You once ran for the presidency. Why are you running again?

Well, I contested before and I lost the primaries; but I consider that now that I have a chance, I will give it a shot again.

Are you not going against your very good friend, President Jonathan?

No, no, no. This is democracy. This shows how democracy works.

What of your previous association with former military President, Ibrahim Babangida?

It’s excellent. If you go to England, you will find Ed Milliband and David Milliband who are of the same parents contesting.

Are you sure of defeating President Jonathan at the PDP convention?

Well, we will go there, you can’t say you are going to lose.

You have been on this route before, why do you want to try again?

Yes, because I was there, I know how rough it was, I know how it works.

If you win, what will you do for Nigerians?

Many things. I don’t have the time now to narrate all I am going to do. So, when I come for my declaration, I will unveil my plans for Nigeria.

Shortly after he spoke with the journalists, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, said that Jonathan had accepted Gusau’s resignation.

Niboro, in a statement added that Gusau, in his resignation letter, informed the President of his intention to play “active part in the 2011 electoral process.”

Niboro’s statement explained that the letter was dated Thursday, September 16, 2010.

The statement noted that Gusau’s resignation took effect from Monday (yesterday), when Jonathan acknowledged the NSA’s wish to quit the government.

The four-paragraph statement, reads, “President Goodluck Jonathan has accepted the resignation of the National Security Adviser, Lt.-Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau (retd.).

“Lt.-Gen. Gusau had in a letter to President Jonathan dated Thursday, September 16, 2010, informed the President of his desire to play an active part in the 2011 electoral process.

“Consequently, he requested the President’s permission to vacate the Office of National Security Adviser.

“His resignation takes effect from today, Monday, September 20, 2010.”

The statement was silent on a replacement for Gusau, although it was learnt that he handed over to Are.

Jonathan’s acceptance of Gusau’s resignation on Monday finally laid to rest speculations over the NSA’s position in the government.

Also in Abuja on Monday, Abubakar stated that he would beat Jonathan in the contest for the party’s presidential ticket.

Abubakar, in a statement by his campaign office, declared that he was in the race to win.

He said, “We are in the race to win. And by the grace of God we shall win. We have the most organised, the most democratic and the most competent campaign structure in the country.

“Don‘t let anyone intimidate you that we cannot defeat an incumbent president. I will beat Jonathan in a free and fair contest.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100921201243

Re: Pdp Primaries: Our Chances Are Bright – Gusau, Atiku ! by wales(m): 6:16am On Sep 21, 2010
KAI MALLAM ATIKU, USA NA KIRA, KANAJI KWO. DAN BARAWO. GO & CLEAR YOURSELF FROM USA, YOU ARE A THIEF THAT SURPOSE TO SPEND THE REST OF HIS BEHIND BAR. IT IS BETTER YOU KEEP SHOT RATHER THAN THINKING OF COMMING TO STEAL MORE MONEY TO CARE FOR YOUR TEENAGE COMCUBINE YOUNG ENOUGH TO BE YOUR GRAND DAUGHTERS.AGBA IYA.

(1) (Reply)

Becomrich Has Move To . Join Me.Satellite picture of states / International Football - Fifa Suspends Nigeria For 'government Interference' / Nigeria Without Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.