Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,894 members, 7,844,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

I Am Self-taught Artist – Sarah Sanni - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Am Self-taught Artist – Sarah Sanni (378 Views)

My Wife Said I Am Not Caring And I Am Self Centered / Abiola Sanni Shares Food On Street To Celebrate His Birthday / Becca And Tobi Sanni Daniel Traditional And White Wedding Photos In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am Self-taught Artist – Sarah Sanni by naijapikin04(m): 3:56pm On May 07, 2019
https://nextedition.com.ng/2019/05/07/interview-i-am-self-taught-artist-sarah-sanni/

When walking on the streets of Lagos, you will be fascinated by the variety and colours of murals and graffiti in most places. Some notable ones are the “Bring Back Our Girls” under the popular Falomo bridge in Ikoyi and the ones at Osborne, Ikoyi, Lagos. Murals are popping up everywhere in the city where there is an empty wall available. In this large diversity, Sarah Sanni’s murals are recognised and enjoyed as they are characterised by an absolutely unique and intriguing style.

Sarah Sanni is one of the top muralists in Nigeria. Born and raised in the Northern part of Nigeria, but an indigene of Ibadan, Oyo State. Sanni is a graduate of Computer Science from the University of Benin. She worked as a programmer for three years before venturing into Art, which was a passion she developed at the tender age of seven.

Sanni has worked with notable brands and celebrities including, The Ice Cream Factory, Molfix, Hayat, Heineken, Mai Atafo, Toke Makinwa, The LittleBigKid company and others.

In order to know more about Sarah Sanni and her artistic experience, The Next Edition caught up with her for an interesting interview where she spoke about her inspiration, working process, and challenges as a muralist..

TNE : How did you get started doing murals?

I wasn’t happy at my job, so I resigned thinking I needed a change of organization but in the process of applying to other companies and going for interviews- one day, I painted my room and my friend saw it and wanted something for her room. After designing hers, she posted it online and a couple of her friends saw it and requested for wall paintings too. I did it and got paid even though it was peanut at the time but I felt and overwhelming happiness and that was when I knew that this was what I wanted to do.

TNE : Did it come natural or your trained to be a muralist?

It’s a natural talent. I remember doing some sketches when I was about seven years old.

TNE : What is your background and training?

Computer science was what I studied. I haven’t had any other training. And none in the Arts yet. I’m a self taught artist.

TNE : Did you have the support of your family when you ventured into this career?

My mom was in total support from day one. My dad got into it after one or two of his friends called him from abroad that they’ve seen his daughter’s works at one place or the other. Some other family members did not think it was a viable business but everyone just went along with the dream and now it’s all full time support from everyone.

TNE : What is the process for developing the imagery for murals? What inspires you?

The process is to know what you want to draw on the wall, sketch it out with pencil then paint afterwards. I get inspired by the things I see around me everyday. I take note of details, from looking intensely at someone’s face while I’m speaking with them to understanding the composition of a tree bark, colours of things and the beauty of our nature in general.

TNE : What are some of your favourite tools for the creative process?

The internet is the most creative tool. Because it’s dynamic. But physically it will be the brushes. They do wonders once you get a hang of them.

TNE : If you could meet any artist: past, present, or future, who would it be and why?

I’d definitely like to meet Leonardo DaVinci. I think he’s a genius. He sketched out a lot of inventions centuries ago and some of them hasn’t even been brought to life yet. I’d like to see the way his mind works.

TNE : Where would you like your art to be displayed in the world and why?

I’d definitely want a piece of my art to be seen in the United States of America. People there say it’s Gods country.

Re: I Am Self-taught Artist – Sarah Sanni by greatnaija01: 4:36pm On May 07, 2019
YES, MY GUY USED TO BE HER SENIOR IN SCHOOL.... He claims she was very good in school but also of easy virtue

(1) (Reply)

Annie Idibia Father Dies Of Cancer,fans Sends Her Condolences / Chris Attoh’s New Wife, Bettie Jenifer Shot Dead In The US / Man Was Shocked By What He Found Inside #moimoi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.