Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,055 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle (33109 Views)

Man In Custody For Allegedly Killing Neighbour Over A Goat / Man Stabs Lover To Death In Broad Day Light In Ajegunle Lagos / Soldiers Beaten In Ajegunle, Lagos As Kola Mutiu 'Black Jesus' Dies. Graphic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 07, 2019
etcsines:
@titiloyeblog.com

An Ikeja high court on Tuesday sentenced a 36-year-old woman, Stella Gilbert, to death for stabbing her neighbor, Mrs. Stella Godwin, to death during a fight at their residence in Ajegunle, Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fight was over a bench in the premises of their single room apartments also known as ‘face’me-I-face you’.

The fight was caused by an argument over who should be using the bench belonging to their former neighbor.

Justice Raliatu Adebiyi sentenced Gilbert after dismissing her claim of self-defense.

The judge held that the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“The defendant, in this case, used a knife on the deceased; by any standard, a knife is a lethal weapon.

“The evidence of PW2 (Prosecution Witness 2), the cousin of PW1 (the deceased’s husband), and that of PW3, the female police officer, was that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The coroner’s report tendered in evidence by PW4 confirmed that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The chest is where the heart is; the defendant, by stabbing the deceased on the chest, a very fragile part of the body, clearly intended to cause the most harm to her.

“The death of the deceased occurred as a result of a grievous injury caused by the defendant. The defendant is culpable of the offense of murder,” she said.

The judge remarked that a lot of cases in courts were caused by animosity and violence due to individuals living in close proximity in the metropolis.

She said that the situation called for improvement in social housing in Lagos State.

She said: “From the evidence, the fight took place in a room; though no evidence was given about the size of the room, it could not have been a very large room.

“The evidence was that the deceased and the defendant lived in a house consisting of rooms occupied by families popularly called ‘face-me-I-face-you’.

“It is worrisome that the level of violence, unnecessary animosity and death, which occur among our citizens as a result of living together in close proximity without sufficient personal space and boundaries, remain unabated.

“There is clearly a need to improve social housing and living conditions.

“The court hopes that this message will be conveyed to the necessary authorities through prosecutors who have the responsibility to prosecute these cases and should be able to provide vital statistics,” she urged.

Following the conviction of the Gilbert, her counsel, Mr Y. E. Yusuf prayed the court to temper justice with mercy.

“The defendant has been in detention for six years; during that time, she lost both parents and her brother. She is in her late 30s and unmarried, she has gone through a lot.

“She was not harboring the intent to murder when the incident occurred.

“I want my lord to temper justice with mercy and refrain from giving the defendant the maximum sentence,” Yusuf urged.

However, the judge passed a death sentence on Gilbert.

“The defendant, Stella Gilbert, is hereby sentenced to death. May God that grants life have mercy on your soul,” she said.

On hearing the sentence, Gilbert collapsed on the dock. Wailing loudly, she said, “Please ma, temper justice with mercy, why me oh, only me…”

In her tears, she was led out of the courtroom and had to be carried by a mobile policeman and a prison warden out of the court complex to avoid disruption of proceedings in other courtrooms due to the commotion.

NAN reports that during the trial, four witnesses – the husband of the deceased, the brother-in-law of the deceased, the investigating police officer and the coroner – testified for the prosecution.

The defendant testified alone in her defense.

According to the state counsel, Mrs. O. R. Ahmed-Muili, the convict murdered Godwin, mother of three, on June 22, 2013, at No. 59, Ojora St., Ajegunle, Lagos.

The convict stabbed the deceased on the chest and arm with a knife during a fight.

NAN reports that murder contravenes Section 221 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2011 and is punishable with death by hanging.

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/05/woman-sentenced-to-death-for-killing.html

Daft Country.

Manslaughter shouldn't get someone a death sentence
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by bejick(m): 12:27am On May 08, 2019
etcsines:
@titiloyeblog.com

An Ikeja high court on Tuesday sentenced a 36-year-old woman, Stella Gilbert, to death for stabbing her neighbor, Mrs. Stella Godwin, to death during a fight at their residence in Ajegunle, Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fight was over a bench in the premises of their single room apartments also known as ‘face’me-I-face you’.

The fight was caused by an argument over who should be using the bench belonging to their former neighbor.

Justice Raliatu Adebiyi sentenced Gilbert after dismissing her claim of self-defense.

The judge held that the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“The defendant, in this case, used a knife on the deceased; by any standard, a knife is a lethal weapon.

“The evidence of PW2 (Prosecution Witness 2), the cousin of PW1 (the deceased’s husband), and that of PW3, the female police officer, was that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The coroner’s report tendered in evidence by PW4 confirmed that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The chest is where the heart is; the defendant, by stabbing the deceased on the chest, a very fragile part of the body, clearly intended to cause the most harm to her.

“The death of the deceased occurred as a result of a grievous injury caused by the defendant. The defendant is culpable of the offense of murder,” she said.

The judge remarked that a lot of cases in courts were caused by animosity and violence due to individuals living in close proximity in the metropolis.

She said that the situation called for improvement in social housing in Lagos State.

She said: “From the evidence, the fight took place in a room; though no evidence was given about the size of the room, it could not have been a very large room.

“The evidence was that the deceased and the defendant lived in a house consisting of rooms occupied by families popularly called ‘face-me-I-face-you’.

“It is worrisome that the level of violence, unnecessary animosity and death, which occur among our citizens as a result of living together in close proximity without sufficient personal space and boundaries, remain unabated.

“There is clearly a need to improve social housing and living conditions.

“The court hopes that this message will be conveyed to the necessary authorities through prosecutors who have the responsibility to prosecute these cases and should be able to provide vital statistics,” she urged.

Following the conviction of the Gilbert, her counsel, Mr Y. E. Yusuf prayed the court to temper justice with mercy.

“The defendant has been in detention for six years; during that time, she lost both parents and her brother. She is in her late 30s and unmarried, she has gone through a lot.

“She was not harboring the intent to murder when the incident occurred.

“I want my lord to temper justice with mercy and refrain from giving the defendant the maximum sentence,” Yusuf urged.

However, the judge passed a death sentence on Gilbert.

“The defendant, Stella Gilbert, is hereby sentenced to death. May God that grants life have mercy on your soul,” she said.

On hearing the sentence, Gilbert collapsed on the dock. Wailing loudly, she said, “Please ma, temper justice with mercy, why me oh, only me…”

In her tears, she was led out of the courtroom and had to be carried by a mobile policeman and a prison warden out of the court complex to avoid disruption of proceedings in other courtrooms due to the commotion.

NAN reports that during the trial, four witnesses – the husband of the deceased, the brother-in-law of the deceased, the investigating police officer and the coroner – testified for the prosecution.

The defendant testified alone in her defense.

According to the state counsel, Mrs. O. R. Ahmed-Muili, the convict murdered Godwin, mother of three, on June 22, 2013, at No. 59, Ojora St., Ajegunle, Lagos.

The convict stabbed the deceased on the chest and arm with a knife during a fight.

NAN reports that murder contravenes Section 221 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2011 and is punishable with death by hanging.

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/05/woman-sentenced-to-death-for-killing.html

She faint na in her handkerchief no fall from her hand
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by hahn(m): 12:44am On May 08, 2019
iamjavadem:
Did you search? I have seen plenty.

No. Actually I haven't
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 1:28am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:
how in the devil's balls does primary and secondary cause of death influence the final decision of a judge .how relevant is all those crraps above to the judge in making the final decision cos nothing else influences a judges professionional decision than criminal intent ,crime itself,and situation .nothing u have typed up their explains how criminal justice is applied. It's u who have no bleeping damn idea of criminal justice. How does any bloody situation u listed up their likely to influence a judge's sentence A crippled victim or a brain damaged victim is likely to secure a lesser term for the convict?? Mehn..... Stick to medics, I'll stick to criminology

Have u seen coroner autopsy report before? why do you think pathologist testify in court?

1 Like

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 1:43am On May 08, 2019
capitalzero:

Have u seen coroner autopsy report before? why do you think pathologist testify in court?
how far relevant is the pathologist testimony to the judges work.... And pathologists could be brought for different reasons not compulsorily All the time
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 1:59am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:
how far relevant is the pathologist testimony to the judges work.... And pathologists could be brought for different reasons not compulsorily All the time

answer my question. have u seen coroner autopsy report? How many times have you been in court witnessing murder cases? what are different degrees of murder? if you are criminologist and you do not know how pathologist report can influence judgement then I smh. If you someone with existing health problem die during fight with someone and pathologist states that deceased has existing health problem, defendant lawyer will argue in that direction and first degree may be ruled out in that case. even head on collusion, some drivers or passengers though had injuries but autopsy revealed evidence of heart problem and they could have died of sudden cardiac death. in some cases, body injuries may not be sufficient to kill patient. what if a driver died of cardiac problem after collusion and vehicle somersaulted thereafter with after death body injury. in cases of unnatural or suspicious death, lawyers pursue pathologist for autopsy reports to argue their cases in court

1 Like

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 2:40am On May 08, 2019
capitalzero:

answer my question.[/b] have u seen coroner autopsy report? How many times have you been in court witnessing murder cases? what are different degrees of murder? [b] if you are criminologist and you do not know how pathologist report can influence judgement then I smh. If you s[b][/b]omeone with existing health problem die during fight with someone and pathologist states that deceased has existing health problem, defendant lawyer will argue in that direction and first degree may be ruled out in that case.[/b] even head on collusion, some drivers or passengers though had injuries but autopsy revealed evidence of heart problem and they could have died of sudden cardiac death. in some cases, body injuries may not be sufficient to kill patient. what if a driver died of cardiac problem after collusion and vehicle somersaulted thereafter with after death body injury. in cases of unnatural or suspicious death, lawyers pursue pathologist for autopsy reports to argue their cases in court [b]
I guess that's ur biggest shot factor in criminal justice. SMH.

Imagine the irrelevant points and questions
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Kingkun69(m): 2:41am On May 08, 2019
Ha ha ha cheesy everybody wants to do gangsta
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by dometome: 2:49am On May 08, 2019
maasoap:

I understand premeditated murder perfectly, don't waste your time explaining to me.
My point is that the law in Nigeria and other countries that have death sentence don't approve death sentence for premeditated murder only but also for intent murder. You stab someone in the chest and you are claiming manslaughter, that you didn't plan it, so you don't deserve death sentence. Lol. Don't you know the result of stabbing someone in the chest? Your intention was to kill and you succeeded even though you didn't plan it.
No! ij this ncase case she will get a long jail sentence of at least 15 years. You don't know what premeditated murder is. Here is one to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28LdsO-_UcQ
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 2:58am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:
I guess that's ur biggest shot factor in criminal justice. SMH.

Imagine the irrelevant points and questions
If you have better things to say or you are later well informed let me know.
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 3:26am On May 08, 2019
capitalzero:

If you have better things to say or you are later well informed let me know.
nah Im not the one to indulge laymen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 3:40am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:

laymen can also benefit from this

https://www.nap.edu/read/10792/chapter/4
Overview of the Medicolegal Death Investigation System in the United States

2.www.nigeriamedj.com/article.asp?issn=0300-1652;year=2015;volume=56;issue=1;spage=1;epage=5;aulast=Obafunwa
Forensic Investigation of mass disasters in Nigeria: A review

www.njcponline.com/article.asp?issn=1119-3077;year=2013;volume=16;issue=4;spage=535;epage=539;aulast=Akhiwu
A 20 year retrospective analysis of medicolegal deaths in a tertiary hospital setting in Nigeria
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 3:49am On May 08, 2019
[/color]
BlueAir:

laymen can also read this

gist will vary from country to country.
A forensic pathologist performs autopsies or post mortem examination to determine the cause of the death. Following the procedure, the pathologist is required to create an autopsy report, which will contain the following opinions: The pathologist will list whether an injury or disease lead to the individual’s death and the circumstances surrounding the death, meaning whether the death was accidental, a homicide, a suicide, natural or undetermined. The report will also document all wounds and injuries found on the corpse.
When conducting the autopsy, the pathologist will collect and examine tissue specimens under a microscope to identify the presence or absence of natural disease and other malignant agents that will better elucidate the cause of death. The pathologist will collect and interpret a series of toxicological analyses on fluids and body tissues to determine the chemical cause of deliberate poisonings or accidental overdoses.
[color=#990000]
BlueAir:

A forensic pathologist performs autopsies or post mortem examination to determine the cause of the death. Following the procedure, the pathologist is required to create an autopsy report, which will contain the following opinions: The pathologist will list whether an injury or disease lead to the individual’s death and the circumstances surrounding the death, meaning whether the death was accidental, a homicide, a suicide, natural or undetermined. The report will also document all wounds and injuries found on the corpse.
When conducting the autopsy, the pathologist will collect and examine tissue specimens under a microscope to identify the presence or absence of natural disease and other malignant agents that will better elucidate the cause of death. The pathologist will collect and interpret a series of toxicological analyses on fluids and body tissues to determine the chemical cause of deliberate poisonings or accidental overdoses.
BlueAir:

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 4:37am On May 08, 2019
capitalzero:
[/color]

[b][/b][s][/s]gist will vary from country to country.
[color=#990000]

[s][/s] How is this a major determinant of sentence I keep asking
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 6:31am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:
Bro I understand how frustrated it becomes when you argue with someone who continuously misses the point like a drunken sailor straight-line walk.. The facts are.
It was a fight caused by act of rage and madness which arose due to bench-struggling. It ruled out pre-meditated (murder),assuming it was after the fight she went inside and planned the attack as revenge then the murder angle might suffice.

Secondly coroner report only states reasons for death and not the intention so judges don't rely on coroners report as a determinants for sentencing rather the prosecutors only used that to prove that the stabbing was the cause of death.
So you are absolutely correct in your assertion.
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by titiloyeblog: 7:04am On May 08, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Daft Country.

Manslaughter shouldn't get someone a death sentence

Okay, so what should have been the punishment?
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 7:11am On May 08, 2019
titiloyeblog:

Okay, so what should have been the punishment?

She should be punished for Manslaughter!
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 8:14am On May 08, 2019
BlueAir:

https://criminal-justice.laws.com/forensic-pathology
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 1:42pm On May 08, 2019
Mkpakala:

Bro I understand how frustrated it becomes when you argue with someone who continuously misses the point like a drunken sailor straight-line walk.. The facts are.
It was a fight caused by act of rage and madness which arose due to bench-struggling. It ruled out pre-meditated (murder),assuming it was after the fight she went inside and planned the attack as revenge then the murder angle might suffice.

Secondly coroner report only states reasons for death and not the intention so judges don't rely on coroners report as a determinants for sentencing rather the prosecutors only used that to prove that the stabbing was the cause of death.

coroner report states manner of death and causes of death. If you have not seen any coroner report, argue with your brain.

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 08, 2019
capitalzero:

coroner report states manner of death and causes of death. If you have not seen any coroner report, argue with your brain.

Seriously you are making it so difficult for me not to insult you. The link you shared even stated that it's "primarily" for the cause of death.
I ask again how does a coroner report show intent of action which helps a judge determines if a case is manslaughter or murder?
So much for someone arguing with his brain.
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 2:16pm On May 08, 2019
Mkpakala:

the guy matter tire me. Fatality of injury can be a determinant of sentence but it's never a major determinant unlike situational factor but the guy keeps crooning pathology
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by capitalzero: 2:33pm On May 08, 2019
Mkpakala:

Seriously you are making it so difficult for me not to insult you. The link you shared even stated that it's "primarily" for the cause of death.
I ask again how does a coroner report show intent of action which helps a judge determines if a case is manslaughter or murder?
So much for someone arguing with his brain.

have you been in court for murder case?Have you seen a comprehensive autopsy report before?I am very sure you have not seen any. read the link very well and the note the following

""forensic pathologist performs autopsies or post mortem examination to determine the cause of the death. Following the procedure, the pathologist is required to create an autopsy report, which will contain the following opinions: The pathologist will list whether an injury or disease lead to the individual’s death and the circumstances surrounding the death, meaning whether the death was accidental, a homicide, a suicide, natural or undetermined.'''

cause of death and manner/circumstance of death are very critical in autopsy report.

also from link

''examine tissue specimens under a microscope to identify the presence or absence of natural disease and other malignant agents that will better elucidate the cause of death'''
How do you understand above statement?
do you know that someone with cancer complicated with anaemia may die quickly from a stab injury compared to otherwise healthy person.
all those details will help judge to understand circumstance of death as well as cause of death better which determine severity of punishment.
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 09, 2019
DearIsrael:

FISH BRAIN!!!!!!!

We know your brain is the size of a goldfish. You don't need to keep shouting about it.
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 10, 2019
DearIsrael:

FISH BRAIN!!!!!!!

We know you your brain is the size of a goldfish, you don't have to keep shouting about it like a hyper toddler
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Decent09(m): 3:32pm On Feb 04, 2023
iTearHerToto:
Their quest for blood is abysmalangry

Na them, The Bald Headed Ipobians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Set Vehicle Ablaze After Operation Along Sagamu Benin Highway.PICS / Yahoo Boy Kidnaps His Boss For Not Giving Him His Own Shares / Air Force Officer Fights A Policeman Who Tried Extorting Bike Rider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.