Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

New Piglet On Our Mini Homestead - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / New Piglet On Our Mini Homestead (298 Views)

Piglet For Sale / Meet My Two Month Piglet / Sow Attacking Piglet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

New Piglet On Our Mini Homestead by atnerjennac24(f): 3:13am On May 08, 2019

We have a new feeder piglet, which we’re raising for meat purposes. She adjusted to her new surroundings quickly, seeming to appreciate the company of our rooster and laying hens even without the companionship of her brothers and sisters. We got her from my sister, who raises pastured poultry and free range pork.

Our young pig also seemed delighted with the chance to root around a new environment and we frequently see her chewing on roots she’s unearthed. These pictures are from her first day in the coop, but within a couple days, the whole pen was neatly plowed.

The chickens, a little skittish of her at first, have come around to more of an acceptance of their new companion, and don’t hesitate to follow after her as she roots, scratching in the freshly-turned soil for bugs, larvae and worms.

The children have also enjoyed our newest animal, especially since it’s our first four-legged farm creature. But there was one protestation –
My four-year old son, Patrick, came running into the house distraught after we’d had the pig for only a few hours.

“Mama, Mama, I’m not going to let Daddy kill our pig! I don’t want her deaded!”

My husband explained that every animal has a job to do, and hers right now is to eat and get big and be enjoyed by the family, but that one day her job will be to feed hungry bellies — including Patrick’s. I’m not sure he was entirely satisfied with the answer, but knowing it’s not going to happen in the next few weeks or months seemed to reassure him.

We’ve butchered pigs in the past — down at my parents’ farm and with my sister and her husband — but this will be the first time we do our own. Honestly, I’d rather take her to the local rural butcher and have it come back in neat packages and pre-spiced sausage, but my husband feels doing it ourselves is good practice and lends to a greater degree of self-sufficiency. We’ll see if he’s still sure about that when she’s a couple hundred pounds.

Have you raised a pig for meat? Did you butcher it yourself or take it to the professionals?

Learn more at: The Elliott Homestead
=====
More at morninghomestead.com

(1) (Reply)

Bags Of Onion For Sale At Ipaja Area Lagos / Sales On Broilers / Ogbono Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.