Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim (3921 Views)

New Tricks Used By Car Thieves Exposed By EFCC / Nigerian Customs Exposes Scammers! Don’t Fall A Victim / US Based Nigerian Lady Scammed Of N450k By Fraudsters, See How They Did It. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by BrainnewsRadio(f): 7:54am On May 08, 2019
This scam was actually very cleverly worked out that you will not suspect anything is wrong:

The following is the account of the incident:

Wednesday a week ago, I had a phone call from someone saying that he was from a company called: “Express Couriers,” He asked if I was going to be home because there was a package for me that required a signature.
The caller said that the delivery would arrive at my home in roughly an hour. Sure enough, about an hour later, a uniformed delivery man turned up with a parcel and a bottle of wine. I was very surprised since there was no special occasion, and I certainly didn’t expect anything like it. Intrigued, I inquired as to who the sender was. The courier replied, “I don’t know, I’m only delivering the package.” Apparently, he said “the sender would want to give you a surprise and a card would be sent separately afterward”
It happened that my birthday was on the way also, so we thought it could be from a distant friend. There was also a consignment note with the gift.

He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol, there was a N1000 “delivery/ verification charge,” providing proof that he had actually delivered the package to an adult (of legal drinking age), and not just left it on the doorstep where it could be stolen or taken by anyone, especially a minor.
I called my husband who said the price of the wine is in the region of N10,000. This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. But he said that the delivery company required payment to be by credit, ATM or debit card only, so that everything is properly accounted for.

He added they also don’t carry cash to avoid loss or likely targets for robbery.
My husband, pulled out his ATM CARD and gave him to swipe the card on a small mobile card machine with a small screen and keypad and asked to key in the verification code.
Frankly at this point we never suspect anything abnormal and a receipt was printed out and given to us, he then wished us good day and went off as normal,
To our horrible surprise, between Friday and the following Monday, N450,000 had been withdrawn from our account at various ATM machines!

Apparently the “mobile ATM card machine,” which the delivery man carried had all the info necessary to create a “dummy” card with all our card details, of course with the verification code.
Upon finding out about the illegal transactions on our card, we immediately notified the bank to stop payment, but it was already too late.
We went to make a Police report. But at the station, we found out that quite a number of households had been similarly hit.

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any “surprise gift or package,” which you neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also never accept anything if you do not personally know or there is no proper identification of who the sender is.

Above all, the only time you should give out any personal credit card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or transaction

Please, SHARE among your friends!

Read More At: https://www.brainnewsradio.com/new-tricks-used-by-fraudsters-that-you-will-hardly-know-until-you-fall-a-victim/

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by BrainnewsRadio(f): 7:57am On May 08, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Harrymig1(m): 7:59am On May 08, 2019
This is really bad.

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Davash222(m): 8:01am On May 08, 2019
Foolish couple of the century.

He refused payment in cash, you should have told him you don’t have ATM card.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by ritababe(f): 8:09am On May 08, 2019
No worry, one day they will enter Efcc trap too.

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by daddytime(m): 8:31am On May 08, 2019
This is outrageously wicked...
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by bosco9: 8:46am On May 08, 2019
I don't really understand, someone you don't know sent you a package and they requested you pay charges because you were so carried away by the wine of 10k you fell for it....funny

Only the greed fall for this trash

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by OkoyeA1(m): 8:51am On May 08, 2019
Truly Awoof dey run belle....Mumu couple

*Tueh*
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Nobody: 9:28am On May 08, 2019
Did you order the package that you’re paying for delivery?

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Kendumazy(m): 11:15am On May 08, 2019
Frontpage material
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Quality20(m): 12:05pm On May 08, 2019
I don't get that verification stuff and does it mean our ATM card isn't safe on POS transactions?
Anyway I don't know if I'm really safe o. my ATM card got hooked by a Gtb ATM on a Friday and couldn't retrieve it except d following Monday, but then they made me sign some indemnity form that since I agreed to card retraction, any fraud in d future, d bank would not b held accountable, so now am I really safe to continue using Gtbank or that account?
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 08, 2019
wink
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 12:24pm On May 08, 2019
Davash222:
Foolish couple of the century.

He refused payment in cash, you should have told him you don’t have ATM card.
God bless you. When I was reading, at this point, I knew the couple was exited with awoof package that left their brain dead and the fraudster feast on it. 419 can only dupe greedy people I insist.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by iTearHerToto: 12:29pm On May 08, 2019
Na your family house and destinies una go sell next. Brainless Gluttons angry
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 08, 2019
Crime technology improving day by day.

Nice info.

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 08, 2019
how can u pay for something you didn't order for? jeeez

1 Like

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by tadetobi: 4:22pm On May 08, 2019
Pls do anyone know of this so called = travel sponsored programme in Abuja, asokoro to be precise

no 35 nelson Mandela str ,off ECOWAS Secretariat very close to vinotel hotel
Name of company: Maple leaf company
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by SarkinYarki: 4:50pm On May 08, 2019
So what is stopping fraudsters from deploying such hacking POS at petrol station, eateries , bars and supermarket
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Xisnin(m): 5:13pm On May 08, 2019
bosco9:
I don't really understand, someone you don't know sent you a package and they requested you pay charges because you were so carried away by the wine of 10k you fell for it....funny

That is what fraudsters and their supporters say.

2 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Xisnin(m): 5:13pm On May 08, 2019
They scammed you both.
This is serious
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Xisnin(m): 5:15pm On May 08, 2019
SarkinYarki:
So what is stopping fraudsters from deploying such hacking POS at petrol station, eateries , bars and supermarket
They do.
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by SarkinYarki: 5:18pm On May 08, 2019
Xisnin:

They do.

hmmmm
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by bosco9: 6:36pm On May 08, 2019
Xisnin:

[s]That is what fraudsters and their supporters say.[/s]
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by BlackfireX: 7:22pm On May 08, 2019
Which country??
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by mytime24(f): 8:00pm On May 08, 2019
Nawa
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Connoisseur(m): 8:05pm On May 08, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Because you can always go back to that petrol station, eatery, bar or supermarket
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by oxypress: 8:18pm On May 08, 2019
One day monkey go go market e no go return. Na naija we day. Make dem kwantinu
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by SarkinYarki: 8:36pm On May 08, 2019
Connoisseur:

Because you can always go back to that petrol station, eatery, bar or supermarket

trust me if you use POS many times a day like I do you will not know the exact place your detail were stolen
Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by Connoisseur(m): 9:52pm On May 08, 2019
SarkinYarki:

trust me if you use POS many times a day like I do you will not know the exact place your detail were stolen

True but no business with a face will want to risk such exposure. There is always that customer who just activated the card same day and used it just there.

2 Likes

Re: New Tricks Used By Fraudsters That You Will Hardly Know Until You Fall A Victim by lahizak: 5:19am On May 10, 2019
bosco9:

Easy to judge. U obviously avnt send a surprise gift to ur gf or family member before. Like 2yrs ago i was sent dis fyn wrist watch from abuja 2 ilorin as a surprise birthday gift. It arrived 2days after my birthday. I was asked to sign before i can get the package. So u see, surprised gift is a normal thing. It happens always. Now imagine if dey are scammers and they research me nd put my gf or mother name on the gift and den tell me something like the sender said im to pay 4 d delivery fee and dey only accept card payment. Truzt me most people will fall for that. Do not ever blame the person that have been scammed. Sharing there experience myt make dem sound foolish but its real and people are truly falling. Scammers keep inventing new methods. We just need to pray never to fall in their hands

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Little Child Captured The Moment Unknown Gunmen Invaded Uzodimma's Home (VIDEO) / Blackaxe And Vikings In Anambra they kill today Saturday PHOTOS / Pedophilia 3 Times More Prevealent In African American Churches Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.