Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,975 members, 7,952,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:23 AM

The Green Bottle (END) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Green Bottle (END) (315 Views)

The Green Herb (18)+ / Bottle Warriors(beer Parlour Night Tale)story By Youngzubi / The Green Vigilante : Origins. CHAPTER 7 *complete* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Green Bottle (END) by DODO005: 11:51am On May 08, 2019
They made their way back to the gate and went straight into the security post to sign out their names.
“How far “The junior guard inquired, staring suspiciously at their face with hope.
They noticed that other customers were now around and the senior guard was busy interrogating them with pleasure.
“Not yet. We are coming back around two thirty” Slim informed the suspicious guard with a smile, signed his name out and pushed the register to Danjay who also did the same.
“Okay, no problem- I just hope say una no go forget us when things done” The guard asked, now wearing a smile.
“No wahala at all- shey we don promise una something, make una no worry, make una pray make things work out well” Slim assured him and they showed him the green bottle privately from the bag.
‘’ No problem I trust una . Make una go come back we dey here dey wait” He told them, his smile broadly, assured that they were not trying to outsmart them. You never can tell with all these young school boys of this generation. He thought as he personally saw them to the gate. Slim and Danjay gave him their smiles, thanked him and stepped out of the high fenced compound.

SEVEN
Zara, Kato’s obese looking younger sister suspected something fishy was going on inside her brother’s crowded room. Though she could not rally placed her hand on what exactly it was, but she was sure something exiting was going on. She knew Chucks and Baba were already inside with their two girlfriends. Again, another guy who she had never seen, had just came in and also asked her if Kato was around. She had actually wanted to ask him to tell her what was going on before venturing her answer. But Kato had came out at that moment and on sighting the guy, had smiled up at him and hailed his name- Tax or something. She tried to remember. She decided to just go peep into the room again. One thing that kept her too curious was why she had not seen the regulars- Slim and Danjay for almost two days now? Why not go and confirm she told herself and moved towards the noisy room.
“Bros make I make eba for you?” She asked slowly pulling aside the cotton, her eyes quickly x-raying what was going on and taking on everybody with a curious look. She quickly noticed that Slim and Danjay were missing in the gathering, which was very unusual. Then definitely something was going on. She concluded, trying to fake a smile at the girls who stared oddly at her size.
‘’No, thank you’’ Kato who was busy telling the excited guests about the green bottle and the good things that was about to come with it suddenly paused and stared silently at her.
He was worried deep inside him. He was beginning to wonder what was still keeping Slim and Danjay longer than planned. They had promised taking the next available flight back immediately after the deal. And as they estimated that was supposed to be two or three hours ago. Maybe they got a cheque -so they had to go to the bank. He reasoned silently and smiled up at the curious looking Zara.

“Me, I go chop o’ Chucks voiced out loudly with a worried look. He was also thinking about Slim and Danjay and also wondered what was keeping them so long. He was worried about the money he had invested into the plan, about five thousand naira. The money had been part of the money his father had gave him to go settle their electricity bills and the agreement with the overzealous NEPA officials was before two o’clock today and anything could happen. What would his father do when he got home and found their line cut off or yanked angrily away by the no-nonsense NEPA officials? He deliberated silently alone. No – Slim and Danjay should be on their way back. He pray they return on time for him to rush to NEPA and settle their bills before kata- kata burst. He could not just imagine what would happen. He regretted loaning out the money and also agreeing with Baba to bring the two girls around and ‘enjoy’ nothing as far as he could see. Instead, he had been conned into buying drinks for the girls, with the balance he had earlier vowed to tightly keep safe in his wallet. He yawned and stared hungrily at the two girls who were busy giggling as they scanned through Kato’s photo collections.

EIGHT
Danjay and Slim sat thoughtfully inside the production manager’s office. This time not opposite him, but on the long leather settle backing the wide French window.
The manager as usual was behind his large desk and sitting on one of the reserved visitor chairs was a thick set, huge looking man, in white flowing gown. He had a fixed piecing stare on Slim and Danjay who were finding it uncomfortable with his penetrating stares. There was something about his looks that scared them. Danjay especially tried to avoid the piecing eyes. He was getting fed up with the whole thing – what is really happening? He asked himself silently and stole a glance at Slim who was staring back confidently at the stranger.

“Well, young men – I am happy to see you. Our Manager here just informed us about your demand” The though looking stranger finally said breaking the tensed silence.
His voice they noticed was husky and had a threatening vocal. “A very funny and ridiculous demand though.” He continued, his eyes never leaving both of them.
” That was really a ridiculous prize coming from young men like you” He repeated harshly. “Well, maybe I should introduce myself to you properly.” He demanded, crossed his legs and stared confidently at them. Sure he had made his impact, he continued.
” I am a retired Assistant Inspector General of the Nigerian police and a strong shareholder of this organization and I don’t normally welcome strangers like you in our premises, especially if they are blackmailers.” He announced distastefully.
Danjay raised his eyebrows and stared surprisingly at him. There was a sudden flash of fear in his eyes. Slim on the other hand quietly absolved the man’s statement and grinned thoughtfully.
“Young men, what you people are trying to squeeze us for is out of our line of compensation and I want to tell you categorically that it is going to be impossible to get that amount of money from us and I mean it” The bully looking man informed them with a frank concluding tone.
Danjay and Slim stared thoughtfully at him, their heart now beating faster than necessary, their breath heaving out slowly from their nostrils. They both could not believe what they were hearing. And as if to confirm their worries the man continued after registering the sudden change in their composure.
“The only thing I think we can offer you as a form of compensation is the normal thing we generously give to people like you who had similar complains.” He grinned at the manager who nodded hurriedly and smiled away.
‘And what will that be, sir?” Slim slowly chipped in with a mockery smile. He had now recovered from the initial shock.
“Tell them” The man commanded the manager.

“Yes- what we can do to assist you is to compensate you with …” He paused and smiled up at Slim and Danjay who stared back expressionlessly at him. “Yes, we are willing to compensate you with five cartons of our product. The same brand you brought to us. That is our normal way here. I am going to make it five because you said you came in from a far place. Normally we are supposed to compensate you with two to three cartons. So you can see that we are generous here.” He announced happily, his smile more visible on his calm face.
“No –since they said they are students and came from a far distance, I think we should give them six cartons” The AIG announced proudly as if they had just won a big jackpot.

Slim and Danjay could not bring their senses to believe what they heard; six cartons of beer. No – These two men must be joking. Slim thought, almost screaming at both of them. But he quickly remembered that he was sitting with an ex-cop and that brought him back to his senses. Danjay on the other hand just stared with a slowpoke look on his face. He was confused and more worried than before.
“You can sell them to any of our dealers outside, if you don’t want to carry the bottles along” The manger suggested.
“ So what do you say to our offer?” The now grinning AIG inquired his yes returning to the two young men.
“Sir – we can’t collect that from you. Our colleagues are not going to find it funny and moreover we need money to settle our colleague’s hospital bills” Slim replied, gambling for the last time.
“Young men- do you realized what you are demanding from us?” The AIG suddenly pushed his large frame up and glared thoughtfully at both of them. ‘’Okay, let me tell you’’ He said and strolled to the wide French window, and stared thoughtfully at the other contaminated bottles on display. ‘’ What you are asking from us is total blackmail. Yes, we call it blackmail in the law and it is a very serious criminal offence” He paused and glared at them once again, then continued” And for your information this organization is blessed with some of the best team of lawyers in this country and also on the board of our shareholders are some of the most powerful personalities in this country, both serving and retired. So any idea of you suing us to court I want to assure you and your student union is completely a waste of time and energy.” He paused again and glared once more at them before riding on” So young men – my advice to and your student union is to wisely collect what we are offering you now and go back home.
You are both supposed to be in school – studying, not wasting your time on complicated issues like blackmail, something that could land you in jail. Good day,” He finally concluded abruptly, and dismissed them with a frown as he pushed his huge frame towards the door.
Slim and Danjay stared amazingly at him as he sauntered towards the door and paused half way.
“Tell me how you finish with them” He directed the manager and quietly stepped out of the office without a glance at the marooned looking friends who also avoided his face and he was gone.

]

The two friends stood quietly by the road side. With them was the black Jimtex bag and the green bottle. They had actually bluntly refused the offer from the manager. They told him they have to talk to the others and would get back to him. The manager had stared thoughtfully at them and finally nodded. “Any how you want it my friends’ He had replied with his sly grin.
The two guards at the gate had also been disappointed, since nothing will now come their way as pre-agreed, but they advised them to collect the offer and promised to quickly get someone to buy the content and the bottles immediately. They had regretful declined, bid them farwell, with the promise to come back and quietly stepped out of the premises.
“So how far – e be like say our plan don back fire, maybe we for get some lawyers” Danjay finally announced as if he was realizing the idea for the first time.
“Na so o – but at least we try” Slim replied, lit a stick of cigarette and grinned thoughtfully away.
“So how we go do?” Danjay asked, his worries returning to his tired looking face.
Slim dragged his cigarette, then smiled up at him” Nothing- we no get anything to do again, na to go begin hustle for transport money back home” He replied.
“Well, help me with dis load then, the thing don dey heavy for my hand” Danjay complained, and handed him the black bag with the green bottle.
Slim collected the bag, smiled and confidently slugged it around his shoulder as they waited for the next bus to take them back to their host place, to prepare for their long journey back home.

END

www.okadabooks.com

grin

(1) (Reply)

When Love Dies - Episode 5 / Flooding: Causes, Effects And Control By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / Beauty Of Failure Poetry Contest (cash Prize, Anthology Feature)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.