Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match (39932 Views)

Ali Daei Hopes Ronaldo Can Break His Goals Record / Simeone: Ronaldo Is An Animal In Front Of Goal Who Is Hard To Prepare Against / Rohr Announces Startup Line For Super Eagles, Musa To Lead Them In Attacking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 12:18pm On May 12, 2019
It's easier to decide a game in only two actions when all you do is lurk around the opposition's 18 yard box waiting for crosses and passes you can tap in.

Messi does way more in a match. Whether he scores or not, wins or loses, he's always orchestrating, creating chances with unbelievable defense splitting passes, taking on your defenders.

And no, Ronaldo does not win games on his own. Never has. He needs teammates who can give him good crosses, pin point passes in the 18 yard box and win him penalties. That's the reason he was silent in the first leg against Atletico and didn't even reach the semis - the Juve team isn't as creative as Madrid was.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 12:24pm On May 12, 2019
Codes151:
For those that don’t understand, what he’s saying is, “in an attacking team, Messi is good.... but in a less attacking or good team, Ronaldo can stand alone and do the undoable
yeah, that's why Juve crashed out to Atalanta in their Italian Cup and then to Ajax in the quarterfinals of the UCL.

2 Likes

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Codes151(m): 12:27pm On May 12, 2019
And Barca reached the final abi?
Ozkar:
yeah, that's why Juve crashed out to Atalanta in their Italian Cup and then to Ajax in the quarterfinals of the UCL.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 12:57pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
It's easier to decide a game in only two actions when all you do is lurk around the opposition's 18 yard box waiting for crosses and passes you can tap in.

Messi does way more in a match. Whether he scores or not, wins or loses, he's always orchestrating, creating chances with unbelievable defense splitting passes, taking on your defenders.

And no, Ronaldo does not win games on his own. Never has. He needs teammates who can give him good crosses, pin point passes in the 18 yard box and win him penalties. That's the reason he was silent in the first leg against Atletico and didn't even reach the semis - the Juve team isn't as creative as Madrid was.

How then is it that Ronaldo still has more assists than any Real Madrid player ever??

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 12:59pm On May 12, 2019
jelel6:

Lemme ignore every unnecessary blabbing until you got to the point where you attempted answering the question ( dodging it actually ).

Of course, Ronaldo has 5 Balloon D'or because he is the best goalscorer amongst that group. But the questions still stands, bar his phenomenal number of goals, he's your Lewandowski or Aguero or Suarez. Or tell us, what does he do differently? Score more goals.

Ehn, There are people who are more knowledgeable about football than me, I'll agree. People like...

Arsene Wenger.

Who's the best footballer on the world? MESSI

Who's the best footballer of ALL TIME? MESSI
Emphasis on ALL.

Wenger is not alone. There are countless football icons who have dared to not only compare Messi with Pele and Maradona, but (rightfully) place him above those two. Countless people. Even teammates of Ronaldo!

So, find those knowledgeable people you where talking about who DARED to put Ronaldo in the same breathe as Pele and Maradona. I can find 10 for Messi. Find one for Ronaldo. Just one and let's see who that is grin

Everyone knows Pele is the greatest footballer of all time....
Now greatest is what you've achieved as a footballer
And best is how you play on the pitch

So now using these two definitions ,

Can you tell how maradona best Ronaldo, or how he is greater than Ronaldo
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 3:16pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

How then is it that Ronaldo still has more assists than any Real Madrid player ever??
he had 9 years to do that while players like Di Maria and Ozil left after only a few years.

It is possible due to the simple fact that the assist is awarded to the player that makes last pass, and not necessarily the one who creates the chance.

Which means if Modric makes a defense-splitting pass to Ronaldo and while 2-on-1 against the keeper, Ronaldo makes a simple pass to Benzema who scores, Ronaldo and not Modric would be awarded the assist. Having an assist doesn't necessarily make you creative. It means you touched the ball last before the your teammate scored.

Even a rebound is awarded as an assist, if a teammate scores it. As an example, Juve beat Napoli 3 - 1 this season, and Ronaldo grabbed 3 assists. Guess what, 2 of them were rebounds from Ronaldo's shots at goal. Only the first was a cross.

There's nothing creative about a rebound. Only means you tried to score and failed but your teammate didn't.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 3:21pm On May 12, 2019
Codes151:
And Barca reached the final abi?
no, they went one step higher than Juve could - the semis. Why change the topic though? I thought you guys say Ronaldo would succeed in an average/poor team and singlehandedly win trophies, while Messi needs a good team.

Why didn't Ronaldo stand alone to do the undoable? 9 years in Spain, just two league wins.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 3:36pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
he had 9 years to do that while players like Di Maria and Ozil left after only a few years.

It is possible due to the simple fact that the assist is awarded to the player that makes last pass, and not necessarily the one who creates the chance.

Which means if Modric makes a defense-splitting pass to Ronaldo and while 2-on-1 against the keeper, Ronaldo makes a simple pass to Benzema who scores, Ronaldo and not Modric would be awarded the assist. Having an assist doesn't necessarily make you creative. It means you touched the ball last before the your teammate scored.

Even a rebound is awarded as an assist, if a teammate scores it. As an example, Juve beat Napoli 3 - 1 this season, and Ronaldo grabbed 3 assists. Guess what, 2 of them were rebounds from Ronaldo's shots
at goal. Only the first was a cross.

There's nothing creative about a rebound. Only means you tried to score and failed but your teammate didn't.

The assists Messi gives, aren't they to the last man as well??

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 3:38pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
no, they went one step higher than Juve could - the semis. Why change the topic though? I thought you guys say Ronaldo would succeed in an average/poor team and singlehandedly win trophies, while Messi needs a good team.

Why didn't Ronaldo stand alone to do the undoable? 9 years in Spain, just two league wins.

Creative Messi, 20 years for Argentina, 0 major trophies

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 4:03pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

Creative Messi, 20 years for Argentina, 0 major trophies
creative Messi, two golden balls in senior international football (one in a world cup tournament!) without needing to win the trophy. Win or lose, he's always the best in his team.

The other dude disappears when he doesn't have the chance to score. Many times, his team doesn't even miss his contributions (or even presence on the pitch) and go on to win anyway.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 4:09pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

The assists Messi gives, aren't they to the last man as well??
go and watch their asssists on YouTube. Many of Messi's assists are breathtaking. And those are simply the ones teammates score. If you watch Ronaldo and Messi often, you wouldn't even be making these comparisons anymore.

There's only one individual criteria in which Ronaldo isn't completely blown away - goal scoring (and Messi is still better), so you guys try to drag in trophies (which is a team achievement). When you realize Messi still has more total trophies, you quickly center on UCL and Euro, and try to pass off La Liga as too easy grin

In the end, it is a crap claim that Ronaldo wins trophies with average teams.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 4:14pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
creative Messi, two golden balls in senior international football (one in a world cup tournament!) without needing to win the trophy. Win or lose, he's always the best in his team.

The other dude disappears when he doesn't have the chance to score. Many times, his team doesn't even miss his contributions (or even presence on the pitch) and go on to win anyway.

Lol.... You this Messi fans are clowns... No team misses his presence... Lol, had it not been better than Barca played with Messi against Roma last year, or against Liverpool this year grin

You mean golden ball blatter gave a player that wasn't included in the team of the tournament or what??
Moreover if Ronaldo played the finals completely of Euros 2016, he would have won the best player of the tournament

However Messi has played 3 finals for Argentina, and lost all... What was his impact??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Jokerman(m): 4:29pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
go and watch their asssists on YouTube. Many of Messi's assists are breathtaking. And those are simply the ones teammates score. If you watch Ronaldo and Messi often, you wouldn't even be making these comparisons anymore.

There's only one individual criteria in which Ronaldo isn't completely blown away - goal scoring (and Messi is still better), so you guys try to drag in trophies (which is a team achievement). When you realize Messi still has more total trophies, you quickly center on UCL and Euro, and try to pass off La Liga as too easy grin

In the end, it is a crap claim that Ronaldo wins trophies with average teams.

Why doesn't he do this magic with Argentina??

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by jelel6: 5:31pm On May 12, 2019
naturalwaves:

I was done with you long ago.
Take heart!

... You never got going really undecided
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by DONADAMS(m): 5:31pm On May 12, 2019
chiboy1116:
nah , I don't think so , Messi has more fans in Europe (Ronaldo is loved in England and Portugal though), Asia and South America .
that is very very arguable.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by jelel6: 6:42pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

Everyone knows Pele is the greatest footballer of all time....
Now greatest is what you've achieved as a footballer
And best is how you play on the pitch

So now using these two definitions ,

Can you tell how maradona best Ronaldo, or how he is greater than Ronaldo

Finally, someone who's ready to define a criteria for measuring "Best and Greatest"

Apparently, Alot of credit is being attached to those who won the world cup.

Pele had insane numbers and won the world cup 3 times.

Maradona won the world cup once but people say his performance throughout the tournament was the SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE to lead any country to the world cup. Better than any one of Pele's.

Maradona greater than Ronaldo?
It depends on how much value you place on the world cup. It's seen as the Holy grail. Since you say Pele is the greatest footballer of all time, I'll presume you place winning the world cup above everything else. Even with two Ballon D'or and lesser goals, perhaps Maradona. No objections if you say Ronaldo.

The best?
Maradona. Goalscoring is the most important thing about football. I won't lie. Ronaldo's game has changed very much from what it was earlier on. I know he made the change himself, to his credit. But alot of his "other" game suffered as a result. he's now strictly a goal machine. But the thing with goal scorers is that they tend to be seen when and if they score goals. Mostly. You tend to miss their goalscoring presence when they are absent. But the team still manages to play good football regardless. Because people do the heavy lifting for them and they just put the finishing touches.

Then, their are the ballers who tend to define the whole identity of the team. Everything has to pass through them. Not necessarily by design, but by neccessity. They are the nucleus of the team. The orchestra. They provide the ammunition for the others to flourish. They tend to make the others play better. They bring out the best in others. They are the Maradonas. But Maradona wasn't just any orchestra, he was one of the most ingenious who ever played. He's the kind that are the best players time and again without having to score themselves. He chipped in with fair amount of goals himself. Important goals. Not to the level of a goal scoring machine like Ronaldo, but far above others who claim to be orchestras themselves.

The sight of a football at the feet of a Maradona is why WE LOVE FOOTBALL. A goal only takes one second to enter and a few moments for the excitement to vanish. But with a Maradona, there's always excitement everytime his feet meets the ball. And if he happens to put the icing on the cake after one of those breathtaking moments by scoring a goal, that is the best of both worlds. And that's what being the best is should be all about.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by jelel6: 7:13pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:

Finally, someone who actually UNDERSTANDS THE dynamics of being called the Best footballer and NOT THE BEST GOALSCORER.

If I'm told that Ronaldo will only score 20 goals next season, the same numbers will be posted by players like Hazard, Neymar, Mbappa, Salah, Debruyne, dembele, Sancho, and so on, I'll DEFINITELY Choose all of them before picking Ronaldo. I know players like Hazard, Debruyne and Neymar can run a football match for 90 minutes without scoring any goal. They make the whole team play better football overall.

In my primary school days and early secondary, I was the best goalscorer when we play every break sessions.
I was so good at scoring. And it's quite competitive oh. Primary 6 Vs 5, 5 Vs 6. You want to beat your seniors and can't allow the juniors beat you. I think I rival Pele's numbers grin grin grin
If we score three, maybe I'd score them all cool one, me. 5? Me 3. Undisputed striker. that's me.

But school official matches in the big school pitch? I don't even start because there was one guy who can score too. The guy na proper baller. If I was Solomon Randon or Didier Drogba, the guy was Delima Ronaldo. A complete baller. The Real best striker in my school actually.

Even Ronaldo will admit he can't do what Messi does. If there was only one spot left to play in any Team, and Ronaldo and Messi are the two options, even Sir Alex Ferguson would put Messi in there without hesitation. He would have realized the difference between them is daylight when Messi destroyed his team in 08 and 11.

Wayne Rooney didn't took long to come to his senses.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 8:02pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

Lol.... You this Messi fans are clowns... No team misses his presence... Lol, had it not been better than Barca played with Messi against Roma last year, or against Liverpool this year grin

You mean golden ball blatter gave a player that wasn't included in the team of the tournament or what??
Moreover if Ronaldo played the finals completely of Euros 2016, he would have won the best player of the tournament

However Messi has played 3 finals for Argentina, and lost all... What was his impact??
I'm not interested in your ifs. There's no guarantee Portugal wouldn't have lost if Ronaldo had played the full game. He was marked out all the time he was on, and France was by far the better side.

Messi's impact? At worst, same impact as Ronaldo had in the confederations cup when they faced Chile. They even won the 3rd place game after Ronaldo left. Portugal is arguably a better team without Ronaldo on the pitch.

Messi was the best player of the tournament in 2 of those 3 finals. Let that sink in. Ronaldo has never played better than everyone else in an international tournament.

Last season UCL semi final and final proves my point. Ronaldo made no direct contribution whatsoever after the quarterfinal penalty against Juve. Yet Madrid went on to win the title.

Let Messi have just one bad game in the UCL, Barcelona gets knocked out. Different levels, man.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 8:08pm On May 12, 2019
Jokerman:

Why doesn't he do this magic with Argentina??
he steadily does his magic with Argentina. Only difference is that Argentina haven't won major titles. It takes a team to win titles, and not just one player.

He's their top scorer of all time, and a huge reason they have gotten to the finals they got to. Problem is the team depends too much on Messi to do everything (create chances and score), just like Barca in this Champion's League. It's easier to beat you if you are a one man team.

No one would depend on Ronaldo that much cos he doesn't even create chances. They only depend on him to score, but if he doesn't, someone else goes ahead to score and win the game.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by chuksp09(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2019
Ozkar:
I'm not interested in your ifs. There's no guarantee Portugal wouldn't have lost if Ronaldo had played the full game. He was marked out all the time he was on, and France was by far the better side.

Messi's impact? At worst, same impact as Ronaldo had in the confederations cup when they faced Chile. They even won the 3rd place game after Ronaldo left. Portugal is arguably a better team without Ronaldo on the pitch.

Messi was the best player of the tournament in 2 of those 3 finals. Let that sink in. Ronaldo has never played better than everyone else in an international tournament.

Last season UCL semi final and final proves my point. Ronaldo made no direct contribution whatsoever after the quarterfinal penalty against Juve. Yet Madrid went on to win the title.

Let Messi have just one bad game in the UCL, Barcelona gets knocked out. Different levels, man.
Damn... i wish i had your football knowledge....
There's one idiot on Twitter i want to educate on this Messi v ronaldo debate....
Of course there's no debate.... Messi's the best.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by sssoulw(m): 5:40pm On May 13, 2019
Messi no dey score goal abi undecided
miketayo:

Goals win games
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by miketayo(m): 7:38pm On May 13, 2019
sssoulw:
Messi no dey score goal abi undecided

Not the type Ronaldo scores, Messi is only the best in the right situation, put him in West Ham or Stoke, he would be a good player at best, put Ronaldo anywhere he LL still look like the best in the world

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by sssoulw(m): 7:56pm On May 13, 2019
No be so... When Players are in the of their own game, their way goes right.... take an example, Real Madrid vs Liverpool UCL Final 3:1 result, You will notice that Bale was untop of his game and not ronaldo.. another one happened when Barcelona beat madrid 4:0 ronaldo was not in the top of his game.... Same goes to Messi, Bayern Munich vs Barcelona when barcelona lost 4:0, messi was not in the top of his game..... even the recent match Liverpool vs Barcelona

All players have good times and bad times bro
miketayo:

Not the type Ronaldo scores, Messi is only the best in the right situation, put him in West Ham or Stoke, he would be a good player at best, put Ronaldo anywhere he LL still look like the best in the world
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by sssoulw(m): 7:57pm On May 13, 2019
And again remember ronaldo is not the top scorer of seria A .... Some years can be like that
miketayo:

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by miketayo(m): 10:22pm On May 13, 2019
sssoulw:
No be so... When Players are in the of their own game, their way goes right.... take an example, Real Madrid vs Liverpool UCL Final 3:1 result, You will notice that Bale was untop of his game and not ronaldo.. another one happened when Barcelona beat madrid 4:0 ronaldo was not in the top of his game.... Same goes to Messi, Bayern Munich vs Barcelona when barcelona lost 4:0, messi was not in the top of his game..... even the recent match Liverpool vs Barcelona

All players have good times and bad times bro

I m not talking about a game or 2 I m talking about career, we can agree Barca Messi is different from Argentine Messi, but Ronaldo is the same player everywhere, do u think if Ronaldo was in that Barca team would lose 4-0 to Liverpool after beating them 3-0 in the first leg? He would have scored or pushed him team to score somehow. As it is now Messi will finish his career with Barca, we can't really tell how he would have performed in Italy or England.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by sssoulw(m): 9:21am On May 14, 2019
Haba.. who b Argentina all time scorer...
And besides the guy has lifted trophies in argentina
miketayo:

I m not talking about a game or 2 I m talking about career, we can agree Barca Messi is different from Argentine Messi, but Ronaldo is the same player everywhere, do u think if Ronaldo was in that Barca team would lose 4-0 to Liverpool after beating them 3-0 in the first leg? He would have scored or pushed him team to score somehow. As it is now Messi will finish his career with Barca, we can't really tell how he would have performed in Italy or England.
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by miketayo(m): 4:37pm On May 14, 2019
sssoulw:
Haba.. who b Argentina all time scorer...
And besides the guy has lifted trophies in argentina

He has won mostly individual trophies with Argentina, just one Olympic that's all.. on the pitch anyone can tell the difference between Barca Messi and Argentine Messi, even though he was surrounded by better players than CR7.
Wait has Argentina won their nation's cup since Messi has been playing?

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by cr7lomo: 6:48pm On May 14, 2019
Ozkar:

Even a rebound is awarded as an assist, if a teammate scores it. As an example, Juve beat Napoli 3 - 1 this season, and Ronaldo grabbed 3 assists. Guess what, 2 of them were rebounds from Ronaldo's shots at goal. Only the first was a cross.

It's certain that u are very very very very dull
Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by sssoulw(m): 9:43am On May 15, 2019
Ronaldo fans no like the truth grin
cr7lomo:

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by Ozkar: 8:39pm On May 16, 2019
cr7lomo:

aren't you the same eediot who was attacking his own logic the other day?

You have been noticed. Run along now.

1 Like

Re: Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match by cr7lomo: 9:26pm On May 16, 2019
Ozkar:
aren't you the same eediot who was attacking his own logic the other day?

You have been noticed. Run along now.

Deal with ur mental illness first .... I don't argue with daft low lives like u...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi's Free Kick Against Liverpool Voted Best Champions League Goal / Naomi Osaka Lights The Olympic Cauldron / Super Eagles Train In MKO Abiola Stadium Ahead Of The Second Leg Clash.. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.