Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. (1418 Views)

‘How Can Bashir Ahmad Earn More Than Prof. Femi Osofisan?’: Fierce Reactions / I Disagree With Chinua Achebe, The Trouble With Nigeria Is Not Politicians, But / Obama's 2018 Favourites List: Chimamanda Adichie, Mandela, Chinua Achebe Named (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 2:46pm On May 12, 2019
Babafemi Adeyemi Osofisan, known as Femi Osofisan or F.O., is a Nigerian writer noted for his critique of societal problems and his use of African traditional performances and surrealism in some of his novels. A frequent theme that his novels explore is the conflict between good and evil. However I will rather go with femi work than that of achebe Which his work was based on religious and ethnicity.
osofisan work was generally acceptable Especially among Nigerians no wonder WAEC, NECO and including Jamb added osofisan work to their questions. Many people don't know achebe like osofisan.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 12, 2019
Yes, I like the name, Osofisan. His work I cherish the most is Women Of Owu.

Let me explain what caused my foray into Literature-in-English. I had always been a science student until a public school invited me to teach Literature-in-English free of charge. My contemporaries have this impression that there is no subject I can't pass in SSCE (fallacy).

I obtained that book, Exam Focus (Literature-in-English) and I began to study it. I became so good in the subject that I taught without the aid of lesson notes. Women Of Owu became my favorite because of the surreal theme.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Lipscomb(m): 2:49pm On May 12, 2019
grin cheesy war is looming here let me go and off my cloth first.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 3:00pm On May 12, 2019
cool my friend there is no war in anywhere,we are here to educate ourselves. It's a fact that femi work can't be underestimated. Even my igbo brothers know about that.
Lipscomb:
grin cheesy war is looming here let me go and off my cloth first.

1 Like

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by MetaPhysical: 3:26pm On May 12, 2019
Achebe's works is narrow and pinned to Ibo ethnicity. It is only later while in America he began to get world exposure and incorporate the global experience into his writing.

Osofisan's works opens his readers into broad perspectives of the African and the rhythym of challenges faced by his/her humanity. It is ethno-neutral.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Crayola1: 3:29pm On May 12, 2019
Achebe is so unknown his novel is the most well known, most translated, and most studied African novel of all time.

God I hope to be that obscure in my lifetime...

With Adiche being the next well known Nigerian and African author in recent time.

10 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 12, 2019
Okay no problem...

1 Like

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Heartbender: 4:06pm On May 12, 2019
Your moniker alone would make the gods forbid to give you understanding. Things Fall Apart by Achebe is so well read and known that over 60 languages has it been translated into and is one of the 100 best books of all time in the world. You can't make this up. Please take down this abominable post

7 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by amuwo1980: 4:22pm On May 12, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Babafemi Adeyemi Osofisan, known as Femi Osofisan or F.O., is a Nigerian writer noted for his critique of societal problems and his use of African traditional performances and surrealism in some of his novels. A frequent theme that his novels explore is the conflict between good and evil. However I will rather go with femi work than that of achebe Which his work was based on religious and ethnicity.
osofisan work was generally acceptable Especially among Nigerians no wonder WAEC, NECO and including Jamb added osofisan work to their questions. Many people don't know achebe like osofisan.
You are not qualified in any way to handle the above topics, go tell ur boss at the BMC that this is way above ur ken

7 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Ooni: 4:39pm On May 12, 2019
Jealousy hatred and wickedness have become the hallmark of our contemporary relationship with other ethnic groups. we cant make osofisan popular by mentioning along achebe cos he is not near the class. if I wasn't a Yoruba I would have found it difficult knowing him. last I checked, the only two Nigerian authors mentioned by Obama were Achebe and adichie, as a part of 5 best African authors. I bet if he were to expand it, butchi emecheta would have joined the list. During our centenary celebration, diplomats who hailed our country's achievement consistently stated that Nigeria is made popular on the account of the works of Achebe adichie and buchi emecheta, only few mentioned our dear soyinka. The problem with us is that we are too academical with work as against ibos who are dynamic, pragmatic and practical. hence ibos do well in prose poetry and drama while the few ones we have only did well in drama. They even have upcoming ones like Chibundu, okafor etc but we still bask in anachronistic glory. instead of bitterness that will do us no good, we should find ways of carefully studying their pattern of hardwork and success and replicate it in our everyday life. it is well.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 5:17pm On May 12, 2019
amuwo1980:

You are not qualified in any way to handle the above topics, go tell ur boss at the BMC that this is way above ur ken
really so what is the qualification for this topic.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 5:38pm On May 12, 2019
liar There's no iota of truth in your submission.
I stop reading your trash when you said Nigeria rised to her antecedent through achebe and one Adichie work .How old Adichei or Achebe? Where was two of them when Nigeria free from colonial master?
Ooni:
Jealousy hatred and wickedness have become the hallmark of our contemporary relationship with other ethnic groups. we cant make osofisan popular by mentioning along achebe cos he is not near the class. if I wasn't a Yoruba I would have found it difficult knowing him. last I checked, the only two Nigerian authors mentioned by Obama were Achebe and adichie, as a part of 5 best African authors. I bet if he were to expand it, butchi emecheta would have joined the list. During our centenary celebration, diplomats who hailed our country's achievement consistently stated that Nigeria is made popular on the account of the works of Achebe adichie and buchi emecheta, only few mentioned our dear soyinka. The problem with us is that we are too academical with work as against ibos who are dynamic, pragmatic and practical. hence ibos do well in prose poetry and drama while the few ones we have only did well in drama. They even have upcoming ones like Chibundu, okafor etc but we still bask in anachronistic glory. instead of bitterness that will do us no good, we should find ways of carefully studying their pattern of hardwork and success and replicate it in our everyday life. it is well.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Ooni: 5:54pm On May 12, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
I stop reading your trash when you said Nigeria rised to her antecedent through achebe and one Adichie work .How old Adichei or Achebe? Where was two of them when Nigeria free from colonial master?
every writer wants his/her work to be popular and known across the world. I lied you said? is it a lie that Mandela stated Achebe's work gave inspiration in prison? is it lie that out of Obama 5 favourite African authors, Achebe and Adichie were the two Nigerians? Is it also lie that during the 2014 centenary banquet, foreign diplomats who poured inconium on Nigeria's achievement at 100 consistently mentioned Achebe, Emecheta and Adichie alongside our nollywood industry fewer of them mentioned our son Soyinka? it seem tribal lenses have beclouded your comprehension, the same reason we now trail ibos in every education index.

6 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 6:10pm On May 12, 2019
Stop pretending to be yoruba. And my topic is not anyhow relate to cause tribal war.However Because Obama or Mandela eulogies Achebe work doesn't translate into public opinion. For example some people believe that Mandela was Africa hero which I'm against.
Ooni:
every writer wants his/her work to be popular and known across the world. I lied you said? is it a lie that Mandela stated Achebe's work gave inspiration in prison? is it lie that out of Obama 5 favourite African authors, Achebe and Adichie were the two Nigerians? Is it also lie that during the 2014 centenary banquet, foreign diplomats who poured inconium on Nigeria's achievement at 100 consistently mentioned Achebe, Emecheta and Adichie alongside our nollywood industry fewer of them mentioned our son Soyinka? it seem tribal lenses have beclouded your comprehension, the same reason we now trail ibos in every education index.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Bridget95(f): 6:18pm On May 12, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
You should ask yourself how old you are to talk about Adichie and Achebe.For your information Chinue Achebe of blessed memory passed on at the age of 85 and Chimamanda Adichie is well known worldwide and she is winning awards .Have you read the works of cyprian Ekwensi the man who wrote the African night entertainment.This wonderful people have made the African man proud.

7 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by meccuno: 6:32pm On May 12, 2019
Bridget95:
You should ask yourself how old you are to talk about Adichie and Achebe.For your information Chinue Achebe of blessed memory passed on at the age of 85 and Chimamanda Adichie is well known worldwide and she is winning awards .Have you read the works of cyprian Ekwensi the man who wrote the African night entertainment.This wonderful people have made the African man proud.
wow.....the African night entertainment gave me nostalgic feelings...I love cyprain ekwensi

5 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 7:08pm On May 12, 2019
Bridget95:
same story.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Ooni: 7:13pm On May 12, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Stop pretending to be yoruba. And my topic is not anyhow relate to cause tribal war.However Because Obama or Mandela eulogies Achebe work doesn't translate into public opinion. For example some people believe that Mandela was Africa hero which I'm against.
That's your opinion not fact. Ibos have a pattern of writing and telling their stories that fascinates others and arrests their readers. The writing of Achebe and Adichie and some other IBO writers tell a story about a definite period in the IBO socio-political history. Things fall apart exposes the true IBO perception of colonialism, same as joy of motherhood by emecheta. Also adichie half of a yellow can be used to understand how the common IBO man felt the civil war. This is what make works great. Great works expresse both in pattern, story and language, the life of an epoch or era. this is what make sheakespere, Charles dicken, and hemingway's farewell to arms stand out. but here in west we are not very creative, yet abstract. imagine the lion and the jewel what story does it tell? abeg we need to emulate them.

5 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Crayola1: 7:31pm On May 12, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Then what is your point? Things Fall Apart is standard book that is a part of many High School curriculum in the US, talk less of other countries. And is often the book of choice when it comes to African literature at the University level.

A book that is translated in Spanish to Mandarin is not a popular book? By which metric? Because book publishers are not charity workers, if your book isn't worth the time they wont print it one language, forget 60+ altogether. You think Scholastic would publish Harry Potter in dozens of languages if it wasn't a best seller?

The most recognized Nigerian author today is Adiche, that's not even disputable. Shes hosted TED talks, a guest speaker in many events, had pieces published in the New York Times, mentioned in a Beyonce song for christsakes... which other Nigerian author has this kind of buzz.

In scifi literature there's Ndidi Okafor, who is getting one of her books turned into a possible series on HBO and she is working on the Black Panther comic, if I can recall correctly.

Because you feel that Achebe said something that you didnt like, that somehow retroactively strips him of his legacy? That you'll name some random guy that wouldn't even share shelf space with Achebes children's book, not even his masterpiece because that would be an insult.

Soyinka has the Nobel Prize and Achebe is the most well known African author, with Adiche following closely behind. Yoruba people get one Igbo people get one everyone should be satisfied.

6 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Earthquake2: 7:37pm On May 12, 2019
You guys should have ignored the attention seeker

4 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by chiedozie198100: 9:04pm On May 12, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Achebe's works is narrow and pinned to Ibo ethnicity. It is only later while in America he began to get world exposure and incorporate the global experience into his writing.

Osofisan's works opens his readers into broad perspectives of the African and the rhythym of challenges faced by his/her humanity. It is ethno-neutral.

ur foolishness is beyond bound.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by chiedozie198100: 9:12pm On May 12, 2019
Ooni:
That's your opinion not fact. Ibos have a pattern of writing and telling their stories that fascinates others and arrests their readers. The writing of Achebe and Adichie and some other IBO writers tell a story about a definite period in the IBO socio-political history. Things fall apart exposes the true IBO perception of colonialism, same as joy of motherhood by emecheta. Also adichie half of a yellow can be used to understand how the common IBO man felt the civil war. This is what make works great. Great works expresse both in pattern, story and language, the life of an epoch or era. this is what make sheakespere, Charles dicken, and hemingway's farewell to arms stand out. but here in west we are not very creative, yet abstract. imagine the lion and the jewel what story does it tell? abeg we need to emulate them.

in fact soyinka's works are adaptations of european epics.

u can research that.

he has no original thought.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by maestroferddi: 9:14pm On May 12, 2019
Folks who don't know jack about literary appreciation/criticism should do well to stop exposing crass inanities for all to see....

What is Femi Osofisan?

3 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by BuhariAdvocate: 9:18pm On May 12, 2019
maestroferddi:
Folks who don't know jack about literary appreciation/criticism should do well to stop exposing crass inanities for all to see....

What is Femi Osofisan?
you should ashamed of yourself for typing this nonsense.
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by maestroferddi: 9:33pm On May 12, 2019
The more some misguided Yoruba elements try to disparage the unassailable achievements of Achebe, the more the man's legend comes into focus.

There is only one father/asiwaju of mordern African literature....the slot has since been taken...

All the pitiable hacks in Ibadan Expressway can only plod their way to excrutiating frustration...

3 Likes

Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Ofemannnu: 10:12pm On May 12, 2019
maestroferddi:
The more some misguided Yoruba elements try to disparage the unassailable achievements of Achebe, the more the man's legend comes into focus.

There is only one father/asiwaju of mordern African literature....the slot has since been taken...

All the pitiable hacks in Ibadan Expressway can only plod their way to excrutiating frustration...

What is the name of Achebe's masterpiece ?
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by RZArecta2(m): 7:30pm On May 18, 2019
You people are giving this op time of the day, he’s a tribal and political bigot well known in politics section who just came here to spread his cancer amongst fans of two literary giants. Why didn’t he make comparisons between Osofisan and Ngugi Wa Thiongo or Wole Soyinka ? The spirit of discord that follows him would never allow that. We’re trying to bring sanity into the politics section of this place but no, the devil must still come to plant thorns between the seedlings.. cool
Re: Femi Osofisan And Chinua Achebe. by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 18, 2019
Ooni:

I salute you for your posts

(1) (Reply)

#IPOB!!! IPOB Member Set To Arrest President Buhari With Japanese Police [ Watch / ANAMBRA 50 YEAR DEVELOPMENT PLAN: Gov. Obiano Inaugurates Committee. / Ihedioha Going To Supreme Court, A Totally Wasted Attempt - Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.