Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW (7937 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 503MW, Workers Threaten Strike / Power Generation Falls To 2,970MW On Discos’ Demand / Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Nobody: 10:30am On May 14, 2019
Later they will say NATIONS are copying our ACHIEVEMENTS...
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Nobody: 10:32am On May 14, 2019
elyte89:
Since 1984 uptill dis moment,we av been hovering over 4,000+mW to 2000+mw, d question is what's so difficult to build power stations dt will generate light?

Or those who got it to d level of 4k mW back den around 1984, dt we re managing up till now can't come back(if dey re still alive) and assist us to genuinely upgrade dis to 10kMW ,or what,instead of white paper lies increment we read on dailies undecided,its becoming annoying

Building a power station needs money.

And the thing is, that money is a lot.

Power is now in private hands. And the discos are charging for power at low prices.

So it is a loan or prices go up
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Nobody: 10:33am On May 14, 2019
the shithole is bereft of leaders! spits!

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Aryin87(m): 10:35am On May 14, 2019
If the electricity wants to fall, it will run drastically like a cheetah but if it wants to increase, it will move like snail.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by TheLogicalMind(m): 10:35am On May 14, 2019
There is 24 hours electricity everywhere. If you don't believe me, ask the BMC liars, sorry truthspeakers like Sarrki, Deomelo, , midolian, Sirjamo, Ngeneukwenu, Omenkalives etc.

Why do you people like to heap "lies" on the "brilliant" and "able" leadership of dullar-dinho sorry, President Buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by stanley000: 10:36am On May 14, 2019
Somehow yahooboys are responsible for this
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by lomprico(m): 10:36am On May 14, 2019
Where is the rocket science minister?
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by eazyhifii(m): 10:39am On May 14, 2019
Okay please can someone explain how electricity is been generated cus I tend to have little knowledge about the whole thing.

And why it's so hard for us to even maintain 12hrs a day power supply when some other countries like the US could generate it 24/7 and it seems so easy to them.

Anyone please And in English abeg

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by AbleGod32123: 10:39am On May 14, 2019
Shame on u Fashola, you were making ur stinking mouth last time that “any serious government should fix electricity in 6months” It’s almost 4 years now u have been appointed as Power minister but nothing has been done, it’s even getting worst. Thunder fire u and ur elections rigger boss

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by RichBoy247: 10:42am On May 14, 2019
hollah123:
when someone like fashola is heading power, u can't expect less. just imagine a square peg in a round hole it can't work. it's like having a medical doctor as d cjn what do u expect?

Is Amaechi that have been performing wonders with new Railways is a civil engineer? Administration is different from technicality. Heads of Ministries need to be good administrators and not necessarily professionals in the ministry they head.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Teenaira: 10:45am On May 14, 2019
tactius:

Who is blaming GEJ here?

The problem has more to do with decades of poor funding, people and government agencies not paying their power bills and the bills being lower than cost prices

We can blame PDP, APC etc, but in the meantime we need 5 trillion naira to get up to 20000MW

Hello sir. I don't agree with you sir. I am very sure if 10 trillion Naira is committed to this venture as it were, we will not still be able to get up to 10,000 MW. Believe me it is not just about money and money and more money. Have we ever check out total amount committed to generating 1MG in other countries versus Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by simplyOJ(m): 10:46am On May 14, 2019
If the huge amount allocated to power all these years has been used the way they are supposed to, we shouldn't be experiencing this national embarrassment. Imagine what we generate as a nation, could be what a single city may be generating in another country. Our leaders don't know shame. All they are good at is to allocate funds and squander.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by NigeriaDecides: 10:46am On May 14, 2019
Our Engineers right? You know the meaning of brain drain, that's where our Engineers are.

debaj10:
where r our engineers to proffer solutions?
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Nobody: 10:47am On May 14, 2019
A big opportunity for my company to light up Africa. When I see news like this, while some will be sad and disappointed, I am always happy and excited that opportunities for me are getting bigger and bigger. My company will put in all it has got to make poor power supply a thing of the past. My company is not all about making money but about shooting Nigeria to the top of innovative countries in the world.

Two things drive innovations in today's world
1. Electricity
2. Internet access.

Nigerians have intelligent people but lack just these two things.

The government can no longer satisfy us. We can no longer wait for them to fund power generation. They are more confused than us.

Entrepreneurs are the game changers

Take a look at the richest, innovative countries of the world today. Say China and America, these countries were made by Entrepreneurs. Jack Ma changed the trade system of China with Alibaba. It changed China.

Jeff Bezoz's Amazon changed the E-commerce of America
Gates changed humanity with his computers.

Entrepreneurs are the hope of the world
Entrepreneurs are the hope of Africa. Entrepreneurs are the hope of Nigeria.

Tohbam is the hope of Africa.
Help make this company exist. Ask me more.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by obailala(m): 10:53am On May 14, 2019
hollah123:
when someone like fashola is heading power, u can't expect less. just imagine a square peg in a round hole it can't work. it's like having a medical doctor as d cjn what do u expect?
Nigeria's power proble is not technical, it is administrative.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by hollah123: 10:54am On May 14, 2019
RichBoy247:

Is Amaechi that have been performing wonders with new Railways is a civil engineer? Administration is different from technicality. Heads of Ministries need to be good administrators and not necessarily professionals in the ministry they head.
since we don't necessarily need professionals, let's keep dealing with what administrators have to offer us since that's what we prefer.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by drololaaof: 10:54am On May 14, 2019
Why did the disco's reject supply? They will come round and say they did not make gain, this is what we suffer under BEDC .Shame to proponent of privatisation

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Nobody: 10:57am On May 14, 2019
There have been references by many on this forum that having an engineer heading the ministry of power has no positive correlation to improvement in power supply as anyone can head that ministry. They cited cases of many ministers that didn't have knowledge of engineering. Now my question to those supporting this, do we have a minister for justice headed by an accountant, economist or engineer ? The current minister of health is Prof in medicine ( I stand to be corrected) , why wasn't this ministry headed by an economist?.
There is another school of thought that believe that a minister of power should have engineering background. They cited the case of Nebo and Barth Nnaji has persons having an engineering background doing a great job although I have my reservation on their performance. The question is when these men were there, what meaningful thing did they do concerning power supply that were felt by the masses?.

There is the issue of generation of power supply and it is alleged by many that the disco aren't taking enough to distribute because the tariffs are low. What do we think should be done to solve this? Are many Nigerians ready to pay for high tariff should this phenomenon be resolved in this way?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by wayodude(m): 10:57am On May 14, 2019
South Africa's total domestic electricity generation capacity is 51,309 megawatts (MW)
South Africa's Population 57.2 Million
Energy Availability = 897 MW per Million people (assuming generation is at full installed capacity)

Nigeria is generating 2,447MW today for a population of 191 Million
Energy Availability = 12.81 MW per Million people

In my view, in Nigeria today you will be winning a small lottery if you flick a switch at home and the lights come on.

We are more in trouble than we think we are.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by lexy2014: 11:05am On May 14, 2019
valentineuwakwe:
each time the power grid is always dropping. ....I wonder what excuse they will tell us now
Jonathan
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by lexy2014: 11:06am On May 14, 2019
wayodude:
South Africa's total domestic electricity generation capacity is 51,309 megawatts (MW)
Energy Availability = 897 MW per Million people (assuming generation is at full installed capacity)

In my view, in Nigeria today you will be winning a small lottery if you flick a switch at home and the lights come on.

Even with glaring evidence, some people will fight if u tell them that buhari has failed. Even despite their civil war has light
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Horus(m): 11:09am On May 14, 2019
Produce your own electricity by using solar panels
Don't wait on the government
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by bentwood85(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2019
Omooba77:

Our Engineers are the best, but our system does not allow the best
what landmark achievement have a Nigerian engineer achieved?.. List one... just one...
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by AngelicBeing: 11:26am On May 14, 2019
wayodude:

Exactly, and I don't see a way out of this mess for Nigerian, look at how much has been invested in power since the advent of democracy in 1999, it runs in billions of naira, corruption and ineptitude has crippled every department of governance in Nigeria, Nigeria is beyond redemption angry
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by alizma: 11:30am On May 14, 2019
tactius:

Who is blaming GEJ here?

The problem has more to do with decades of poor funding, people and government agencies not paying their power bills and the bills being lower than cost prices

We can blame PDP, APC etc, but in the meantime we need 5 trillion naira to get up to 20000MW
All these stories na wash. Let every house in Nigeria today run on prepaid meter and there will be miracle in the power sector.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by Daviestunech(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2019
grin and over bleached skinny gorilla dey talk say make dem dey import ELECTRIC CAR
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by wayodude(m): 11:34am On May 14, 2019
bentwood85:

what landmark achievement have a Nigerian engineer achieved?..
List one... just one...

While i cant vouch for the 'Nigerian Engineer' in general, if you saw some of us in action abroad you will be proud. I have never worked in Nigeria so cant speak for those back 'home'.

Having said that one of my colleagues is a Lead Engineer heading a technical team of foreign engineers. He is naija born and bred, with a strong Edo accent to boot. He studied in UNIBEN ONLY (no foreign masters etc) and he is well respected in his field here.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by onyxo76(m): 12:13pm On May 14, 2019
i wonder how the other countries have 24 hrs steady power supply and how they do it? It seems so seamless and easy.
Re: Electricity Generation Falls To 2,447MW From 4,129MW by nephemmy(m): 12:19pm On May 14, 2019
give it to the country that uses the highest number of generators....Nigeria the nation of darkness/poverty/unemployment et al

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahmad Lawan: We Will Reduce Level Of Nigeria's Borrowing / Nigeria Loses Out As Ghana, Malawi, Others Join UN Human Rights Council / Buhari To Attend The Inauguration Of Akufo-Addo, Ghana President-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.