Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,186 members, 7,839,038 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? (892 Views)

What Job Can A Law Graduate Get With 2.2 / That Job Can Cause You Heart Disease / ''Your Job Can Make You Impotent'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by finch29: 2:44am On May 04, 2007
Hi, could any of you help me with this?  I intend to go to Nigeria to stay for a long time - like 5 or so years or perhaps for the rest of my life and so I will need to find a job over there.  However I feel that because I am white there must be a limited amount of jobs I could possibly do as perhaps working too much of a high profile job or working as the only white employee in a company might make me a laughing stock.  I’m not being racist when I say that it’s just that common sense tells me that I would garner too much attention in certain jobs over there because I am white.  I have been told by Nigerians that for example because the white people over there tend to for example work for the British High Commission (or whatever foreign embassy is for their nationality) it is best to stick to what the other white people do to earn a living.  Or maybe I should study to work in the Oil industry or to be an English teacher.  Whatever I do I want to be able to work in a relatively densely populated area of Nigeria (not on an oil rig in the middle of nowhere) and I want to be safe and have job security and be able to earn enough to get a mortgage on a property over there.  So my question is this:  What jobs are out there for me?  And what training (I.e uni degrees etc) do you think I should do to get qualified?  P.S  I know some will tell me to do what I am passionate about etc but the jobs-market is quite limited in Nigeria so I will not be too fussy.  Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by dollyp1cute(f): 11:03am On May 04, 2007
@finch
Just 1 question, what is your motivation for going to Nigeria? That may give some clue.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:34pm On May 04, 2007
what kind of job are you doing now/ What qualification & Experience do you have?

actually if you go to the high commission they'll link you with a job or give you all the low-down

(1) (Reply)

Friendship / Daily Vacancy updates. / Great Opportunity : French As A Second Language Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.