Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,129 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106328 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2011
. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 12:55pm On Jun 16, 2011
kilo shele? Mo like o! why you no wan answer me naa?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:01pm On Jun 16, 2011
. undecided undecided

cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 4:42pm On Jun 16, 2011
cry cry cry
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2011
Oga Ola,
No more chalk for class nii?
Me dey miss those posers ooo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:13pm On Jun 16, 2011
femmy2010:

Oga Ola,
No more chalk for class nii?
Me dey miss those posers ooo.

Okay. brb
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:34pm On Jun 16, 2011
POSER.

PDP and CPC neck and neck in key constituencies.

PDP and CPC neck in neck in key constituencies.

Which one, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by meiloya: 8:41am On Jun 17, 2011
Nice one Ogbeni ola olabiy.

But, wait a second, do you think it is really possible to always construct the language flawlessly under intense pressure? I think it is not so easy. I believe the language is easier written than spoken. Nobody is exempted from making mistakes here and there; even if a person studied the language up to master's level at the uni, there are still limitations. Even native speakers, very educated ones O, are guilty of wrong Anglais. I have meet countless of both British and American native speakers who, instead of saying one of the boys that are here, said, one of the boys that is here. Many of them also say with regard[b]s [/b]to what we spoke about yesterday, instead of with regard to what we spoke about yesterday.

One morning in naija, I was in my oga's office while he was interviewing this light skinned chick. During the discussion, this chick, because of tension, said my researche[b]s[/b] would be of the highest quality possible, Kai, my oga just wrote her off immediately, I used style to tell my oga that the fact that the chick pluralized research did not imply a low proficiency in the language, But my oga, a Nigerian returnee from the US, wrote her off immediately, This girl n[b]a English Graduate O[/b]. I no go talk her school sha, make some people no vex for me. Nonetheless, it is good to always practise, One day, person go reach Obama and co level. Me sef don talk information[b]s[/b] before while giving a presentation some years ago. Tension can really make person make mistakes. I look back and laugh whenever I remember.

The idea sha is for one to keep on working on oneself. Concerted efforts geared at improving spoken ability will surely yield results in the long run. No doubt!

Success.

Itankananananananakakaka
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:58am On Jun 17, 2011
meiloya:

Nice one Ogbeni ola olabiy.

But, wait a second, do you think it is really possible to always construct the language flawlessly under intense pressure? I think it is not so easy. I believe the language is easier written than spoken. Nobody is exempted from making mistakes here and there; even if a person studied the language up to master's level at the uni, there are still limitations. Even native speakers, very educated ones O, are guilty of wrong Anglais. I have meet countless of both British and American native speakers who, instead of saying one of the boys that are here, said, one of the boys that is here. Many of them also say with regard[b]s [/b]to what we spoke about yesterday, instead of with regard to what we spoke about yesterday.

One morning in naija, I was in my oga's office while he was interviewing this light skinned chick. During the discussion, this chick, because of tension, said my researche[b]s[/b] would be of the highest quality possible, Kai, my oga just wrote her off immediately, I used style to tell my oga that the fact that the chick pluralized research did not imply a low proficiency in the language, But my oga, a Nigerian returnee from the US, wrote her off immediately, This girl n[b]a English Graduate O[/b]. I no go talk her school sha, make some people no vex for me. Nonetheless, it is good to always practise, One day, person go reach Obama and co level. Me sef don talk information[b]s[/b] before while giving a presentation some years ago. Tension can really make person make mistakes. I look back and laugh whenever I remember.

The idea sha is for one to keep on working on oneself. Concerted efforts geared at improving spoken ability will surely yield results in the long run. No doubt!

Success.

Itankananananananakakaka

Nice one. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by meiloya: 10:07am On Jun 17, 2011
Another mistake I have long noticed in some Niaja people's construction of a sentence in the Anglais language is as follows:

The man has drank water; he has drank coke; she 'have' drank XYZ. This major killing of the queen's language leads me to the basic principle of the use of has, have and had, Most people find it difficult to accept (except, american error) the fact that have, has and had can only go with past participle. They prefer to make a sentence such as Itanka[/b]n has [b]ran for the office. grin. They also love to say we have came here and I did not spoke to him yesterday, Kai, Anglais don suffer.

Anyway sha, grammar, grammar, grammar no be our language!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 10:55am On Jun 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

POSER.

PDP and CPC neck and neck in key constituencies.

PDP and CPC neck in neck in key constituencies.

Which one, please?

"neck and neck"
This reflects an unclear lead between the two competitors.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
femmy2010:

"neck and neck"
This reflects an unclear lead between the two competitors.

Good job. Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Gbenge77(m): 6:23pm On Jun 18, 2011
Interesting thread.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by truthtalk: 6:12am On Jun 20, 2011
Cool!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:55am On Jun 22, 2011
POSER.

Every so often.

Ever so often.

Do they mean the same thing? tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:19am On Jun 22, 2011
POSER

It's me.

It's I.

What say you oo?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:23am On Jun 22, 2011
POSER

She has more than me.

She has more than I.

Hmm!

Don't be puristic!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:40am On Jun 22, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

What time is it? grin

Did you say Bonsue time.

^LOL. Just bored ni jare. smiley

Okay . . . okay . . . .

Oya!

What do these expressions mean?

He is a top shot

He is a top political shot

Or shot whatever sef.

Abeg, help me. Please!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:02am On Jun 22, 2011
NLanders, expect some posts about The Bard. I mean Shakespeare. Watch out!

Did you read Tempest? Uhn? I read some pages sha, some centuries (haba!) ago.

Let's examine this - from The Bard.

Sea change.

Do we really know the meaning of this noun?

Large? . . . Impromptu?

Nah!

In here:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sea+change
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:13am On Jun 22, 2011
Oya! again. tongue

When you say "table" (verb) something what do you mean?

Discuss?

Are you an American?

A Nigerian? Uhn?

Did you know?

That,

In British English (Nigerian), to table something means to present it for discussion or consideration.

But, American English nko? It means to postpone it

Read more:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/table

La'er, peeps.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AjanleKoko: 11:04am On Jun 22, 2011
A Poser for the house.

The word schooling. Is it a valid English word?
If so, is it a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:50am On Jun 22, 2011
AjanleKoko:

A Poser for the house.

The word schooling. Is it a valid English word?
If so, is it a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb?

Thanks for this.

It's a NOUN.

I have also just learnt that it's a MODIFIER (a NOUN used attributively).

Did I do well?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:51am On Jun 22, 2011
SCHOOLING is a word.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:31pm On Jun 22, 2011
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2011
ola olabiy:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/schooling

It does not load at all.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:23am On Jun 23, 2011
Vajazzle tongue

This word will enter the English lexicon before December, this year.

Watch out! wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:35am On Jun 23, 2011
^^I am NOT a baddie oo

All ye beautiful girls need to read Jennifer Love Hewitt's The Day I Shot Cupid: The Smart Girls' Guide to Dating

Please note, vajayjay sef never dey dico oo.

Read more about vajazzle

http://everything2.com/user/avalyn/writeups/Vajazzle

PS: ^^^Seun moi man, please delete this post before 10pm, tonight. Please
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:01am On Jun 24, 2011
Some of the phrases coined by The Bard - the man from Stratford-upon-avon.

Strange bedfellows

Method in the madness

Cold comfort

Laughing stock

Yeoman's service (Hamlet). Dunno about yeoman's job.

The world's my oyster

The better part of valour is discretion

Break the ice

Bated breath

Fool's paradise

Bag and baggage

Good riddance

In my heart of hearts

Love is blind

Send packing

Fancy-free

Wild-goose chase

Lie low

Melt into thin air

Seen better days

One fell swoop

Full circle

Wear your heart on your sleeve.

I gotta stop here sha. This can take 10 pages. Na d man get English.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MissyB3(f): 9:24pm On Jun 24, 2011
Good evening prof and fellow students embarassed I've got some sentences I need clarification on.
I'll start with -
1)
a) The woman who brought the . . .
b) The woman that brought the . . .
Question : Is who a variant of that and vice-versa, in this case? Are both sentences correct? If not, which is wrong and why?

2)
a) I'm yet to . . .
b) I've yet to . . .

Is it up to the speaker to decide whether to use the to be verb or the to have verb; that is, are both correct? If not, which is wrong and why?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Good evening prof and fellow students embarassed I've got some sentences I need clarification on.
I'll start with -
1)
a) The woman who brought the . . .
b) The woman that brought the . . .
Question : Is who a variant of that and vice-versa, in this case? Are both sentences correct? If not, which is wrong and why?

2)
a) I'm yet to . . .
b) I've yet to . . .

Is it up to the speaker to decide whether to use the to be verb or the to have verb; that is, are both correct? If not, which is wrong and why?

Olodo. . . smh tongue
Come inside the room let me tell you jor
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MissyB3(f): 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
chamotex:

Olodo. . . smh tongue
Come inside the room let me tell you jor
Room 504, 2nd floor, the usual hotel. grin

Where have you been, oga? angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.