Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106189 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 5:10am On Mar 14, 2012
Hello guys,

I thought it's time to sing a popular song - Ebiniseri, on this thread. Hmmm . . . not yet, guys.

We need more posers and other regular stuff.

Besides, we need our Page 7 and 0! Yeah!

I think 2 or more posers are needed to reach that, eh, milepost wink.

Also, we need to celebrate Seun's new NL undecided. I want the guy to succeed you know wink.

We don't want to lose 40% of our traffic angry

So, let's [i]get it started [/i]o o ooooo. smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 5:15am On Mar 14, 2012
Hooray! Page 7 and 0!

Just like that . . .

Posers ke when I have a miracle-working God grin smiley

1 Like

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:22am On Jul 07, 2012
I miss this class thread. Wish we can resume again. The vacation has been on for too long
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
I seriously have learnt a lot from this session. You guys are doing a great job here.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: I miss this class thread. Wish we can resume again. The vacation has been on for too long

Ha, Odunnu. Posted July 7th? shocked Trust me I didn't see it.

How are you?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
Good.
I've missed school. Any hope of resuming
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 6:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: Good.
I've missed school. Any hope of resuming

We can do it indoors, baby wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
Indoors? shocked
oh I get grin like a private teacher
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 7:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: Indoors? shocked
oh I get grin like a private teacher
Exactly . . . though, in this instance, at the teacher's lair. grin grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
You will have to get Ileke's written permission first. I dont want anybod breaking my legs
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 8:12pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: You will have to get Ileke's written permission first. I dont want anybod breaking my legs

Don't worry . . . . Ileke is sooooooo 2011 wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 8:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
Have I seen you in the debate class? I think you will fit perfectly as a debater there. They need 7more debates btw
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 8:32pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: Have I seen you in the debate class? I think you will fit perfectly as a debater there. They need 7more debates btw

Hahaha. . .

They didn't invite me ooo. Probably because I'm a part time NLander.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 8:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
With power vested upon me by the Olori 1 of NL, I hereby invite you and infact, include you as a debater
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 9:04pm On Jul 19, 2012
Odunnu: With power vested upon me by the Olori 1 of NL, I hereby invite you and infact, include you as a debater

Hahaaha. . .

I am not good enough, my Omalicha nwa.

Even my Ogas are not there. E.g. Ajanlekoko
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Idolys(m): 4:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
ola olabiy: And,

Did you know that 'SPACE' is an uncountable noun as well?

Well, you can 'enrich' it by saying, for example, 'much space'.

lol
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by demainman: 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
Waoh! I enjoyed every bits of your lecture. can't wait to learn more. More grease to your elbow as you do so.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
Idolys:

lol
Thanks. I didn't make any clarifications; so, I'm sorry. I should have been more explicit.

It is countable. And, it is uncountable (mass noun).

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/space?q=space

noun
[mass noun]

1 a continuous area or expanse which is free, available, or unoccupied: a table took up much of the space
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 9:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
^^^This thread isn't devoid of errors!

This year, I may rejuvenate it or start another thread about office issues and jokes.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:26am On Jan 07, 2013
I will so appreciate it. Happy new year.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:00am On Jan 07, 2013
Odunnu: I will so appreciate it. Happy new year.

Happy new year, Omalicha.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AkanimohFriday(m): 11:44am On Feb 28, 2013
ola olabiy: Let's talk about two words today.

EVIDENCES;
SLANGS.

Please note:
The word EVIDENCE has no plural form. It could however be plural when it relates to scientific facts/objects. BUT never plural when it relates to information used in court.

Incorrect: Evidences are legion of unjust arrest and brutalisation of people.
Correct version: Evidence are legion of unjust arrest and brutalisation of people.

Also, the word SLANG has no plural form.

Incorrect: Such slangs are common among students.
Correct version: Such slang is common among students.

You can also say: Slang words/terms/expressions.

What do you think?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AkanimohFriday(m): 11:48am On Feb 28, 2013
Nice one there. These words : subtle, comb, lamb, bomb, plumb, plumber, numb etc, the 'b' is not pronounced. What do you think?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:00pm On Aug 03, 2013
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:18pm On Aug 03, 2013
Another one:

AN European

A European

Which one ni? wink

Answer: A European

In JSS3, Ola read a book, written by Tai Sholarin's wife, Sheila (?), and she did justice to this. According to this Mama, the word "European" does not start with a vowel sound! Hmmm. That it starts with "yoo". My fav Oxford dico 'says' it starts with "j". Well, bottom line is both are consonants. cheesy

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/European?q=european

I dey go manage moi bored skull outta here, o dabo. #Kurukere tinz wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Chiefupper: 1:47pm On Aug 03, 2013
it is a pity i just discovered this thread of yours this morning because i have been looking for something of this nature for for so long,i am a science student and civil engineering by profession,my area of concentration has always been science subjects and write from secondary school,we science students always say english is not our major subject so we don't need it much,this now affected my life to the extent that the first SSCE i wrote,i had A's in most of my subjects but D in english,this happened in 2002 and since then i just made it last year,i also noticed that through out my higher institution,i never for once have C in my GNS,so since last year,i have been reading english textbooks extensively and i had B in my last exam,now i still have areas where i am lagging behind and i want to know if you will help me out?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Idolys(m): 11:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
@ Ola, please which of these is correct:
(a) I was the one who called you on phone yesterday.
(b) I am the one who called you on phone yesterday.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:31am On Aug 05, 2013
Idolys: @ Ola, please which of these is correct:
(a) I was the one who called you on phone yesterday.
(b) I am the one who called you on phone yesterday.
B

If in present-participle format, then use "was".
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:58am On Aug 15, 2013
Oxford Dico gives in grin

Definition of "literally" and "marriage" to change.

But the OED prides itself on constantly looking out for new ways words can be interpreted.

In June the leading authority on the English language confirmed that the definition of the word 'marriage' will be changed now a law allowing same-sex couples to get married has been passed.

Language experts said the definition did not change overnight but they will monitor how the word marriage changes over the next year.

An Oxford University Press spokeswoman said: ‘We continually monitor the words in our dictionaries, paying particular to those words whose usage is shifting, so yes, this will happen with marriage.’

As it stands, OxfordDictionaries.com defines marriage as being a ‘formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognised by law, by which they become husband and wife.’

In a reference, it says marriage could also be ‘(in some jurisdictions) a union between partners of the same sex’.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392586/Oxford-English-Dictionary-admits-used-wrong-sense-word-literally.html

Watching out for "bold" in verb form. LOL
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:09am On Aug 15, 2013
Oh mai Godddd grin grin
From a commenter. "Of" to become an auxiliary verb, lol:

What about "this car's infinitely more reliable than that one". I see so many people misusing the word "infinitely" I worry that the dictionaries will have to change the accepted definition. And then what word will we use when we REALLY mean infinite? And PLEASE don't tell me they'll change the definition of "of" to be an auxiliary verb, as in "I could of", "I would of".
^^Because it's common these days.

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.