Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,692 members, 7,955,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:51 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107812 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:11am On Oct 12, 2010
POSERS.

In the long run.
At the long run.
On the long run.

As Ramadan runs its cause.
As Ramadan runs its course.

Out of bounds.
Out of bound.

The project has gone downhill.
The project has gone down a hill.
The project has gone down hill.

Abeg, help us.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 1:52am On Oct 12, 2010
In the Long run

Out of bounds

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 1:54am On Oct 12, 2010
POSER:

All things being equal.

Other things being equal.

Which one is correct?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:56am On Oct 12, 2010
^^^^
Both are correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 2:10am On Oct 12, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^
Both are correct.

Nah mate.

The correct usage should be Other things being equal
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:11am On Oct 12, 2010
^^
Yeah, bro.

Both are correct!

Check your dico.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 12, 2010
Are you two competing with each other? oga o.

ola olabiy:

POSERS.

In the long run.
At the long run.
On the long run.

As Ramadan runs its cause.

Out of bounds.
Out of bound.

The project has gone down a hill.
The project has gone down hill.

Abeg, help us.

In the Long run
As ramadan runs its course.
Out of bounds
the project has gone downhill.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:06am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn signing in
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:12am On Oct 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Are you two competing against each other? oga o.

In the Long run

You're so right Ileke-Idi,this particular one is so commonly abused,in most cases the people who say "on the long run" will walk up to you and "correct" you when they hear you say;IN THE LONG RUN

Hope some culprits on nairaland now know better
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:22am On Oct 12, 2010
denzel2009:

POSER:

All things being equal.

Other things being equal.

Which one is correct?

In a way,both are correct
They both refer to ceteris paribus in an idiomatic way
However,while using "other things being equal",it's proper to start the sentence with it,while on the other hand,it's proper to end a sentence with "all things being equal",if that's your preference
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:25am On Oct 12, 2010
^^^
Example

Other things being equal, we should have no trouble commissioning the building on time.

and

I anticipate no problems, all things being equal.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:26am On Oct 12, 2010
POSERS

More grease to your elbow

or

More power to your elbow
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:27am On Oct 12, 2010
POSERS

Definitely OR Definately
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 6:10am On Oct 12, 2010
This one is commonly used in churches;"Please be upstanding"

God,wherever did they get that from

The correct thing to say is "Please rise/arise" or simply "Please stand up"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by tkb417(m): 8:02am On Oct 12, 2010
Thank you Olabiy

great job

ill rather learn than say rubbish grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by legendprac(m): 8:40am On Oct 12, 2010
Great, love this,
Learning a lot from this
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 8:57am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn:

POSERS

Definitely OR Definately

Definitely
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 8:57am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn:

POSERS

More grease to your elbow

or

More power to your elbow

More power to your elbow
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:01am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn:

This one is commonly used in churches;"Please be upstanding"

God,wherever did they get that from

The correct thing to say is "Please rise/arise" or simply "Please stand up"

Thanks, rasputin.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:05am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn:

^^^
Example

Other things being equal, we should have no trouble commissioning the builkding to you on time.

and

I anticipate no problems, all things being equal.

What an explanation! I love this. Thumbs up.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:07am On Oct 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Are you two competing with each other? oga o.

NO! Denzel is a bro. And, he's helping us here.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2010
nice thread. but the word 'grassroots' is not always separated. check your dictionary again and even the internet.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:10am On Oct 12, 2010
POSER.

They are rubbing minds on how to curb cultism.

They are meeting minds on how to curb cultism.

Which one ni, my people?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by kellylil11: 9:15am On Oct 12, 2010
latest cheat for browsing only available for etisalite and mtn.call me at 08095908310
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:20am On Oct 12, 2010
bayleaf:

nice thread. but the word 'grassroots' is not always separated. check your dictionary again and even the internet.

Are you sure, bro?

The use of HYPHEN. When 'grass roots' is to be used as an adjective, there is a need for this (-).

I don't think you're right.

1 Like

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Linguist(f): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2010
I appreciate what you are doing here (NL). Still learning from you guyz so please dont stop.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 9:45am On Oct 12, 2010
ola olabiy:

Are you sure, bro?

The use of HYPHEN. When 'grass roots' is to be used as an adjective, there is a need for this (-).

I don't think you're right.

check the dictionary then, if you think i am wrong, or the internet. just type the word in google and check wikipedia. you will see that they use it without the hyphen. yes i agree with you that some dictionaries use it with the hyphen though, but others use it joined.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 10:13am On Oct 12, 2010
bayleaf:

check the dictionary then, if you think i am wrong, or the internet. just type the word in google and check wikipedia. you will see that they use it without the hyphen. yes i agree with you that some dictionaries use it with the hyphen though, but others use it joined.
I think Ola is right.

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ud4u: 10:38am On Oct 12, 2010
Good job, thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by gogo123: 10:55am On Oct 12, 2010
am learning plenty here
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 11:08am On Oct 12, 2010
denzel2009:

I think Ola is right.
check wikipedia online, you would also get the word 'grassroots' used as one without a hyphen
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sley4life(m): 11:17am On Oct 12, 2010
Thief& stole
she stole my bumper shot
not; she thief my bumper shot

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.