Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,361 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

How I Buy From Street Hawkers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Buy From Street Hawkers (326 Views)

Soludo Bans Levies On Wheelbarrow Pushers, Hawkers, Vulcanizers / Dino Melaye Gives N10k To Each Of The Hawkers He Met On The Road / Ihedioha: Why PDP Governors Stayed Away From Street Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Buy From Street Hawkers by lordsterlin(m): 7:15pm On May 17, 2019
#How_I_buy_from_street_hawkers!

1. I stop or beckon on a hawker. I don't make them run after my car. That could cause injury.
2. I speak to them politely as human beings. An exchange of greeting would be nice before the bargaining or pricing starts. A simple "how are you" will suffice
3. Point out or pick the items on the tray you want to buy.
4. Bargain and price to get value for your money.
5. Pay and leave a tip. I prefer to leave my change as a tip but sometimes, I would leave a large tip depending on my assessment of the neediness of the hawker.
6. I conclude the transaction with a thank you. If the tray is heavy or big, I help them lift it up onto their heads.

#Note: Most street hawkers are just struggling to eke out a living. Some of those women you see on our streets selling from corn to bananas are poor and really needy people. They often have many dependants and most travel into the city from far suburbs.

Look kindly on them and don't price too hard. No one out of choice would want to be in the sun with a basin or tray laden with pears or groundnuts all day long. Help them grow their business and care better for their dependants by leaving tips with your purchase. They deserve the aid much more than those who make no effort to earn a living. That tip of yours as an act of love may make a difference in their otherwise hard day. Please do it, no matter how little it is.

Thank you for sharing.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Buy From Street Hawkers by neezar: 7:27pm On May 17, 2019
Hmmm

Nice
Re: How I Buy From Street Hawkers by czarina(f): 8:00pm On May 17, 2019
I know someone who buys the whole tray of goods especially veggies and fruits. He shares them later.

Me: They'll go back to refill their trays

Him: I know, but sometimes they don't. They just go home. And even if they do, I did my part.

P. S

We have a lot to learn about being kind. It goes a long way.
Re: How I Buy From Street Hawkers by lordsterlin(m): 8:09pm On May 17, 2019
czarina:
I know someone who buys the whole tray of goods especially veggies and fruits. He shares them later.

Me: They'll go back to refill their trays

Him: I know, but sometimes they don't. They just go home. And even if they do, I did my part.

P. S

We have a lot to learn about being kind. It goes a long way.

What pains me the most is when these hawkers are made to chase fast moving cars especially bus drivers.
Re: How I Buy From Street Hawkers by czarina(f): 8:11pm On May 17, 2019
lordsterlin:

What pains me the most is when these hawkers are made to chase fast moving cars especially bus drivers.
True.

(1) (Reply)

Does Efcc Know The Meaning Of "Ybnl'? / Akeredolu Reminds Herdsmen Of Daylight Curfew, Firearms Ban In Ondo State / Breaking: Ambode Hands Over To Sanwo-olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.