Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,150 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

The First Christian! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Christian! (1333 Views)

Meet Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola - The Man That Started The First Christian Revi / FINDINGS IN THE FIRST CHRISTIAN COLONY ESTABLISHED BY PAUL THE APOSTLE... / Iraq Village Holds First Christian Mass Since ISIS Takeover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2010
The First Christian
September 24, 2010

"He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light" (John 1:cool

Perhaps the least understood and appreciated man in the Bible is the man who was the first Christian soul winner, missionary, martyr, disciple, and pastor, as well as the first to make disciples for Christ, to acknowledge His deity, to baptize converts to Christ, to be imprisoned for his faith, and to teach concerning Christ, as Christ later commanded in His great commission.

John the Baptist is often mistakenly called the last Old Testament prophet, but that was Malachi, 400 years earlier. John was actually the first Christian!  He leaped in joyous recognition of Christ while still in his mother's womb (Luke 1:44); in fact, he uniquely (apart from Christ) was "filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb" (Luke 1:15).

He was such a godly man that he was often mistaken for Christ, and John the apostle even had to stress that John the Baptist was not really that Light, but that God had sent him to bear witness of the true Light--Jesus Christ.  Christ Himself testified that no greater man than John the Baptist (not even Noah, Abraham, Job, Moses, or Daniel!) had ever been born (Matthew 11:9-11).

In no sense was the message of John an "Old Testament" message.  He preached the deity of Christ, redemption by His sacrificial death, and salvation only through faith in Him (John 1:34, 29; 3:36).  He "began" the gospel message (Mark 1:1-2) and baptized and taught disciples whom he then directed to Christ.  Their baptism was "Christian baptism."  In fact, John had baptized Christ Himself!  Finally, when he had " ready a people prepared for the Lord" (Luke 1:17), he was imprisoned by Herod and executed because of his faithful witness for Christ.  He had given the "knowledge of salvation unto his people" (Luke 1:77). HMM

For more . . . .

2 Likes

Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23am On Oct 16, 2013
Who was the first Christian, John?
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 16, 2013
Wrong answer.Xtianity started on easter sunday.prior to that xtianity as a religion did not exist.Mary magdalene was the first witness of the ressurection and thus the first xtian.

Back to the old testament,I don't think malachi was the last OT prophet but rather Zechariah.I think it was after his murder(not recorded in d extant bible but mentioned by Jesus probably quoting a lost scripture) that God ceased sending prophets to Isreal.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:52am On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Wrong answer.Xtianity started on easter sunday.prior to that xtianity as a religion did not exist.Mary magdalene was the first witness of the ressurection and thus the first xtian.

Back to the old testament,I don't think malachi was the last OT prophet but rather Zechariah.I think it was after his murder(not recorded in d extant bible but mentioned by Jesus probably quoting a lost scripture) that God ceased sending prophets to Isreal.

Who was the first Christian soul winner, missionary, martyr, disciple, and pastor, as well as the first to make disciples for Christ, to acknowledge His deity, to baptize converts to Christ, to be imprisoned for his faith, and to teach concerning Christ, as Christ later commanded in His great commission, Mary Magdalene? undecided Let's roll it out to the jury. wink
Re: The First Christian! by Enigma(m): 12:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
And Mary Magdalene submitted herself to the authority of the Roman Catholic "pope". She also accepted the "infallibility" of the Roman Catholic "pope". grin

Therefore, Mary Magdalene was a Roman Catholic. QED! wink

Therefore the "first" Christian was a Roman Catholic! tongue

smiley
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
Enigma:

And Mary Magdalene submitted herself to the authority of the Roman Catholic "pope". She also accepted the "infallibility" of the Roman Catholic "pope". grin

Therefore, Mary Magdalene was a Roman Catholic. QED! wink

Therefore the "first" Christian was a Roman Catholic! tongue

smiley

shocked shocked shocked

Behold the church of Mary Magdalene.

Re: The First Christian! by Alwaystrue(f): 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
@Ola,
Thanks alot.
This bears witness to what Jesus said below:

Luke 16:16
Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides. But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in

John the baptist was the first person to preach repentance and the gospel of the Kingdom of God heralding the New Testament:
Matthew 3:1,2
In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea
2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Jesus preached repentance and the gospel of the kingdom:
Matthew 4:17
From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."

Jesus told the disciples when He was leaving earth that they should also preach repentance and teh gospel of the Kingdom:
Mark 16:15,16
15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned

He, however, promised to send ANOTHER Comforter to guide us in all truth and remind us of His words:
John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you

People had refused to heed the word of God so God had to send JESUS, HIS WORD in THE FLESH FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH (John 1) to testify of what and how exactly God wanted His will and laws to be done....the laws of the spirit and his blood was the convenant seal....still some people still do not heed to Jesus:

John 12:49
For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak

John 17:14,17
14 I have given them THY WORD; and the WORLD HATH HATED THEM,
because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: THY WORD IS TRUTH

For all those who want to understand what TRUTH is, there you have it....THE WHOLE WORDS OF JESUS (THE WORD OF GOD) ARE THE TRUTH...anyone who thinks Jesus words are Old Testament and discard it are in the greatest deception ever and do not believe Jesus.

3 Likes

Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

What is your evidence that Jesus quoted from your lost books?
Re: The First Christian! by Enigma(m): 1:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Meanwhile, according to the logic of "some people", even the apostle John was a junior to some Roman Catholic "popes".

According to "these people" some other individuals were "bishops of" Rome and "popes" even while the apostle John was still living. And since you must accept both the authority and infallibility of these "popes" and "bishops of" Rome to be a Christian or to be saved, it means that the apostle John could not have been a Christian --- unless he accepted both the authority and infallibility of the Roman Catholic "popes" that were "in office" while he was still living.

Clever, eh? wink

smiley
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Who was the first Christian soul winner, missionary, martyr, disciple, and pastor, as well as the first to make disciples for Christ, to acknowledge His deity, to baptize converts to Christ, to be imprisoned for his faith, and to teach concerning Christ, as Christ later commanded in His great commission, Mary Magdalene? undecided Let's roll it out to the jury. wink

biblically

Ist xtian soul winner/pastor-St Peter on the day of the pentecost when he won over 3000 souls for christ
1st xtian matyr-St Stephen

1st xtian missionary-St Philip

But as far as first xtian is concerned that honour goes to Mary Magdalene the first winess of the ressurection which marked the inception of the xtian faith
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

biblically

Ist xtian soul winner/pastor-St Peter on the day of the pentecost when he won over 3000 souls for christ

But as far as first xtian is concerned that honour goes to Mary Magdalene the first winess of the ressurection which marked the inception of the xtian faith

Before christ died xtianity did not exist because they have not been any sacrifice for sin but rather we were still in the jewish era.You really need to understand the meaning and essence of the xtian faith to really understand the inception of the xtian timeline
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

biblically

Is that why you call Peter the first "Pope?"
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Is that why you call Peter the first "Pope?"

Nope that is not why.
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you understand english very well then you will understand the meaning of the word. 'Probably'
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you understand english very well then you will understand the meaning of the word. 'Probably'

That event is not found any where in the extant scriptures both canonised and uncanonised
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Nope that is not why.

What is the reason(s)?
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Ingrish is not my mother's tongue. Are you into making assumptions and presumptions?
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Ingrish is not my mother's tongue. Are you into making assumptions and presumptions?

Yes I am assuming so.it is not contained in any of the today's extant scriptures and the people who listened to him did not ask for clarifications indicating they were already aware of the story from a familiar sctipture.

Mind you that might not be the only quotation from a lost scripture referenced in the bible.The source of the quotaion in the gospel of mattew"To fulfil what was written by the prophets he shall be called a Nazarene" is also unknown and scripture scholars have been struggling to unravel that for centuries
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

What is the reason(s)?

Because Christ handed over the keys of heaven and the care of his flock to him
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Yes I am assuming so.it is not contained in any of the today's extant scriptures and the people who listened to him did not ask for clarifications indicating they were already aware of the story from a familiar sctipture.

Mind you that might not be the only quotation from a lost scripture referenced in the bible.The source of the quotaion in the gospel of mattew"To fulfil what was written by the prophets he shall be called a Nazarene" is also unknown and scripture scholars have been struggling to unravel that for centuries

Is your faith built on assumptions?
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Because Christ handed over the keys of heaven and the care of his flock to him

But he was married, I thought popes are supposed to remain celibate.

2 Likes

Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Is your faith built on assumptions?

Nope.my faith is based on the words of Jesus.But that does not stop me from using my common sense.It does not in any way vitiate my faith.
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

But he was married, I thought popes are supposed to remain celibate.

Bros if you want to discuss the catholic church kindly create another thread for it.I don't want to derail this thread any further but to answer your questions compulsory celibacy was only imposed by the church in the second millenium of xtianity
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Nope.my faith is based on the words of Jesus.But that does not stop me from using my common sense.It does not in any way vitiate my faith.

Then give us a biblical reference where Jesus quoted from the so called lost scriptures.
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Then give us a biblical reference where Jesus quoted from the so called lost scriptures.

I told you I use my common sense.I used the word 'probably' because the story Jesus quoted was not found in any of the extant scriptures.Did the scriptures tell you Peter,paul,Timothy etc are dead? Is it not your common sense and church history that did? Likewise my intuition tells me that Jersus quoting the murder of Prophet Zechariah was from a scripture now lost
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
One must keep in mind that the Old Testament is not the only source for New Testament data concerning what took place from Creation until the coming of Christ. The New Testament writers were inspired by God (cf. 2 Peter 3:16; 1 Corinthians 14:37; John 16:13). How did Paul know that “Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses” (2 Timothy 3:8, emp. added) when the names of Pharaoh’s magicians are not given in the Old Testament? How did Jude know that Michael the archangel and the devil “disputed about the body of Moses” (Jude 9) when no Old Testament writer mentioned such an event? Paul and Jude either knew of these facts from tradition and recorded them by inspiration, or God miraculously revealed this information to them.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:21am On Oct 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

I told you I use my common sense.I used the word 'probably' because the story Jesus quoted was not found in any of the extant scriptures.Did the scriptures tell you Peter,paul,Timothy etc are dead? Is it not your common sense and church history that did? Likewise my intuition tells me that Jersus quoting the murder of Prophet Zechariah was from a scripture now lost

You can keep your "common sense" to yourself. All Scripture are God breathed. I only go by what is written by the Holy Spirit, called the Holy Scriptures.

1 Like

Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:23am On Oct 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

One must keep in mind that the Old Testament is not the only source for New Testament data concerning what took place from Creation until the coming of Christ. The New Testament writers were inspired by God (cf. 2 Peter 3:16; 1 Corinthians 14:37; John 16:13). How did Paul know that “Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses” (2 Timothy 3:8, emp. added) when the names of Pharaoh’s magicians are not given in the Old Testament? How did Jude know that Michael the archangel and the devil “disputed about the body of Moses” (Jude 9) when no Old Testament writer mentioned such an event? Paul and Jude either knew of these facts from tradition and recorded them by inspiration, or God miraculously revealed this information to them.

If what you know is not by the inspiration of God then you might as well keep them where the sun doesn't shine.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:26am On Oct 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros if you want to discuss the catholic church kindly create another thread for it.I don't want to derail this thread any further but to answer your questions compulsory celibacy was only imposed by the church in the second millenium of xtianity

Ok. Going back to the OP. To burst your bubble, the disciples of Jesus were also Christians even before the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:28am On Oct 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You can keep your "common sense" to yourself. All Scripture are God breathed. I only go by what is written by the Holy Spirit, called the Holy Scriptures.

Did the scripture tell you Mary,Peter,John,Paul and other apostles are dead? Is it not common sense that told you? I smh for you people
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:30am On Oct 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If what you know is not by the inspiration of God then you might as well keep them where the sun doesn't shine.

Bros attempt answering those kweshions.Abeg do not attempt to dodge them
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Ok. Going back to the OP. To burst your bubble, the disciples of Jesus were also Christians even before the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Please can you please define what are the definition of these terms 'christianity',christian' and when did you think christianity started

(1) (2) (Reply)

Paul, A Confused Man, Very Illogical... / Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? / Wise Man John Chi Back N Live On Emmanuel Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.