Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,687 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

The First Christian! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Christian! (1331 Views)

Meet Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola - The Man That Started The First Christian Revi / FINDINGS IN THE FIRST CHRISTIAN COLONY ESTABLISHED BY PAUL THE APOSTLE... / Iraq Village Holds First Christian Mass Since ISIS Takeover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:41am On Oct 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

Did the scripture tell you Mary,Peter,John,Paul and other apostles are dead? Is it not common sense that told you? I smh for you people

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

The Scriptures are not meant for frivolities and old wives tales. They are meant to bring sinners and backsliders to repentance and prepare us for the Kingdom of God.

Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 2:09am On Oct 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

The Scriptures are not meant for frivolities and old wives tales. They are meant to bring sinners and backsliders to repentance and prepare us for the Kingdom of God.

Bros I ask you again did the scriptures tell you Mary,Peternpal and other apostles are dead? Please attempt to answer these questions and also try to define the terms I asked you
Re: The First Christian! by okeyxyz(m): 2:24am On Oct 20, 2013
smh @olaa's absolute failure to grasp context in the posts he has made on this thread, both in the OP and in his exchanges with @chukwudi. How can @olaa just argue without using common sense and critical reasoning?? @chukwudi just pointed out several instances in which scriptures where used by jesus and the apostles, scriptures that are no where to be found in conventional, canonical old testament that we have today, yet @olaa is here disputing these references? Are you(@olaa) disputing these events because it is @chukwudi pointing them out or you have some other valid basis to dispute his observations?? Did you even bother to check out the texts he is referring to?? Do they exist? If they exist, is there an alternative context you think @chukwudi is failing to consider and of which you can put him right? My guess is NO!! you are just determined to oppose everything he says because he is catholic and nothing good can come out of a catholic person?? This comes across as the typical "holier than thou" attitude that blinds the proud from seeing any good in someone or something else without his own approved label.
Re: The First Christian! by okeyxyz(m): 2:39am On Oct 20, 2013
Regarding the OP and contributions so far, John the Baptist cannot be the first christian, neither was Mary Magdalene. It cannot be John because Jesus had not died yet and there cannot be christianity without Jesus dying first. Even after Jesus's death and resurrection, you cannot be christian without the understanding of the essence of his death and resurrection, an clearly Mary Magdalene could not have understood that. All she knew was that jesus has risen, in other words: a miracle has happened, but miracles is not proof of christianty.

To be a christian, you must have been preached to and made to understand the significance of Christ's death and resurrection, that he died to put sin(The Law) to death and that his resurrection signifies a new era, a new message of salvation that is besides the old testament(again, The Law). All we know is that Jesus told her to go tell the others that he is risen from the dead. Afterwards, he appeared to them several times, and it was at occasions that he could have taught them the secret and significance of his death and resurrection to them. They did not know these things before Jesus's death, when he(Jesus) preached and taught in Israel and they were his disciples.
Re: The First Christian! by Nobody: 2:47am On Oct 20, 2013
okeyxyz: Regarding the OP and contributions so far, John the Baptist cannot be the first christian, neither was Mary Magdalene. It cannot be John because Jesus had not died yet and there cannot be christianity without Jesus dying first. Even after Jesus's death and resurrection, you cannot be christian without the understanding of the essence of his death and resurrection, an clearly Mary Magdalene could not have understood that. All she knew was that jesus has risen, in other words: a miracle has happened, but miracles is not proof of christianty.

To be a christian, you must have been preached to and made to understand the significance of Christ's death and resurrection, that he died to put sin(The Law) to death and that his resurrection signifies a new era, a new message of salvation that is besides the old testament(again, The Law). All we know is that Jesus told her to go tell the others that he is risen from the dead. Afterwards, he appeared to them several times, and it was at occasions that he could have taught them the secret and significance of his death and resurrection to them. They did not know these things before Jesus's death, when he(Jesus) preached and taught in Israel and they were his disciples.

The bais things about christianity is belief in the death and ressurrection of Jesus,I say it is Mary mag dalene because she was first to witness and believe the ressurrection.I agree she might not have been well grounded on the tenets of the xtian faith until much later but she was first to imbibe the VERY BASIC requirements of christianity which is the belief in the death and ressurection of Jesus
Re: The First Christian! by okeyxyz(m): 2:56am On Oct 20, 2013
chukwudi44:

The basis things about christianity is belief in the death and ressurrection of Jesus,I say it is Mary mag dalene because she was first to witness and believe the ressurrection.I agree she might not have been well grounded on the tenets of the xtian faith until much later but she was first to imbibe the VERY BASIC requirements of christianity which is the belief in the death and ressurection of Jesus

This makes sense, probably right.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros I ask you again did the scriptures tell you Mary,Peternpal and other apostles are dead? Please attempt to answer these questions and also try to define the terms I asked you

I don't answer foolish questions. The only people Scriptures told me didn't die are Enoch and Elijah. I don't need the Scriptures to tell me whether folks breathed air or not.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2013
chukwudi44:

Please can you please define what are the definition of these terms 'christianity',christian' and when did you think christianity started

If you had taken your time to read the OP you wouldn't be asking when and who was the first Christian.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2013
okeyxyz:

smh @olaa's absolute failure to grasp context in the posts he has made on this thread, both in the OP and in his exchanges with @chukwudi. How can @olaa just argue without using common sense and critical reasoning??

You are welcome to use your "common sense" and "critical reasoning" in answering unanswered questions.

okeyxyz:
@chukwudi just pointed out several instances in which scriptures where used by jesus and the apostles, scriptures that are no where to be found in conventional, canonical old testament that we have today, yet @olaa is here disputing these references?

What reference did he point out? Did he give chapter and verse?

okeyxyz:
Are you(@olaa) disputing these events because it is @chukwudi pointing them out or you have some other valid basis to dispute his observations??

Provide the so called references and let us see whether they have any leg to stand on.

okeyxyz:
Did you even bother to check out the texts he is referring to?? Do they exist? If they exist, is there an alternative context you think @chukwudi is failing to consider and of which you can put him right? My guess is NO!! you are just determined to oppose everything he says because he is catholic and nothing good can come out of a catholic person?? This comes across as the typical "holier than thou" attitude that blinds the proud from seeing any good in someone or something else without his own approved label.

What text was he referring to? If they exist why don't you provide them instead of your emotional outburst, guesses and assumptions and false accusations?
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:20pm On Oct 21, 2013
okeyxyz:

Regarding the OP and contributions so far, John the Baptist cannot be the first christian, neither was Mary Magdalene. It cannot be John because Jesus had not died yet and there cannot be christianity without Jesus dying first. Even after Jesus's death and resurrection, you cannot be christian without the understanding of the essence of his death and resurrection, an clearly Mary Magdalene could not have understood that. All she knew was that jesus has risen, in other words: a miracle has happened, but miracles is not proof of christianty.

Are you saying that Jesus, before His death and resurrection, sent out sinners (unbelievers) to preach the gospel?
Re: The First Christian! by okeyxyz(m): 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
What reference did he point out? Did he give chapter and verse?

Provide the so called references and let us see whether they have any leg to stand on.

What text was he referring to? If they exist why don't you provide them instead of your emotional outburst, guesses and assumptions and false accusations?

If you are really asking these questions and expect me to provide you with the particular texts, then I can safely conclude that you are not conversant with scripture and that's the only reason you'd continue in this line of opposition. These are fairly common knowledge texts. @chukwudi reminded you of these texts because he assumed you'd be conversant with them, and this assumption stemming from the fact that you are a more than regular poster on this religion section. Does it mean you don't have scriptural basis for the volume of your posts? Have you merely been posting materials that are not yours? Tell me you are truly unaware of such texts and contexts.
Re: The First Christian! by okeyxyz(m): 4:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
Are you saying that Jesus, before His death and resurrection, sent out sinners (unbelievers) to preach the gospel?

Christianity was not revealed until after christ's death and resurrection. There has been preachings before christ even appeared on earth, so whatever the disciples were sent out to preach then was definitely not christian doctrine. There cannot be christian doctrine while christ himself was not crucified yet.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:33am On Oct 22, 2013
okeyxyz:

If you are really asking these questions and expect me to provide you with the particular texts, then I can safely conclude that you are not conversant with scripture and that's the only reason you'd continue in this line of opposition. These are fairly common knowledge texts. @chukwudi reminded you of these texts because he assumed you'd be conversant with them, and this assumption stemming from the fact that you are a more than regular poster on this religion section. Does it mean you don't have scriptural basis for the volume of your posts? Have you merely been posting materials that are not yours? Tell me you are truly unaware of such texts and contexts.

You don't have to be supercilious. If you have the references provide them. I've got no time for your assumptions and presumptions.
Re: The First Christian! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:55am On Oct 22, 2013
okeyxyz:

Christianity was not revealed until after christ's death and resurrection. There has been preachings before christ even appeared on earth, so whatever the disciples were sent out to preach then was definitely not christian doctrine. There cannot be christian doctrine while christ himself was not crucified yet.

What was the message JTB preached and what did our Lord Jesus preach?

"And saying, Repent: for the kingdom of God is at hand" (Matthew 3:2)

"And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15)

Are you saying that no Jew repented and believed the gospel until after the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Church Tattoos 666 Mark On Members ! / The Gospel Of Mary Magdalene Revealed / Thread 4 All.Ask Any Question Concerning Catholicism And Its Doctrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.