Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values (484 Views)

Oshiomhole: Sowore Has No Right To Call For 'Revolution Now' / Tony Momoh: Anyone Calling For Revolution Is Looking For Trouble, Deal With Him / When Tinubu Calls For Revolution - Page Deleted By Punch Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:19pm On May 18, 2019
Permit me this afternoon to quote from Isaac Watts

If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span
I would be measured by the soul
The mind's the standard of the man.”

It has become imperative that we as Nigerians begin to think deep on how to ‘retake’ the country from the demonic folks who seem to have established themselves within the corridors of power. Don’t for a moment think that our problem is tied to the politicians. If you do, then you are mistaken. These charlatans are everywhere – lecturers, police officers, military/paramilitary officers, pastors/imams, parents, you & I.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:20pm On May 18, 2019
You see, it is quite easy to point accusing fingers at the failure called Buhari and his band of sycophants and yell “away with him, away with him” when we are very much guilty of such crimes. Today Naira Marley is undergoing gruelling interrogation in the hands of the EFCC and yet youths (supposed leaders of tomorrow) are up in arms demanding his release. This is a guy who was publicly supporting practitioners of advanced fee fraud (419). This is supposed to be a model of some sorts to youths – a future leader.

During the last general elections, it was funny to note that over 90% of the killings that occurred, happened in the south and were perpetrated by her youths themselves. Cast your mind back to the bloodshed in Rivers (where APC wasn’t even on the ballot), Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Edo, Lagos and every other place that witnessed violence, and you will discover that these dastardly acts were perpetrated by the youths themselves. Why did youths yield themselves to be instruments of destruction in the hands of politicians? Why did people mortgage their future for N10K, bag of rice, bag of salt, onions, garri and groundnut, groundnut oil and bathroom slippers?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:20pm On May 18, 2019
Did you see Tunde Bakare’s kids voting during the elections? Or did you see Okorocha’s kids lining up to exercise their franchise? For your information, Oshiomohle’s kids are all grown and settled outside the country (most). I can’t forget the day Tunde Bakare visited UI to minister at an AUCSF outing and came with his kids including the one who was studying at Emory University. Yesterday we saw pics of Sam Adeyemi’s son graduating from Emory University. Oh, you think Oydepo, Kumuyi and Adeboye’s kids studied with you and I here in Nigeria? Think again. Sometime ago, UI was on strike and the current VC, Olayinka was away in the US to attend his son’s graduation! That’s the country we reside in.

2 Likes 1 Share

You see, in my dealings with Nigerians (youths especially) everywhere, I have come to observe something – Most Nigerians are opportunists! They are never long-sighted and the basis for their relationships and friendships is based on a potential material benefit. Establishing a meaningful friendship with a Nigerian with no strings attached or benefit other than the mutual exchange of greetings and fellowship from time to time is very difficult. When they think you have no value to offer, they are quick to jettison you and not ashamed to come back when they see you move up in life.

This poor mindset has become our bane. You see, the leaders – religious and political have always known this and thus have crafted ways to exploit it. Take the government for instance. They go on campaigns and talk about grand plans but can’t justify the feasibility. We get amused and bemused. Then they offer us inducements (money and food) and we gladly accept and ‘elect’ them. If they feel their inducement isn’t working, they play the tribe card. They tell you how your zone has been marginalised since inception and emotions set-in. Four years after and you have forgotten about it when they come again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:21pm On May 18, 2019
In the religious centres, it is no different. I mean, you go to church/mosque and the cleric tells you how God will bless you only if you give him some money. Of course, our mind isn’t developed to think critically, so we believe, because we lack values and despise honest labour. We love shortcuts and ‘magical’ success. When the cleric feels his message isn’t enough, he invokes fear and tells you of curses and judgments waiting for you around the corner. Out of fear of the unknown due to a weak mind, you buckle. You see, if we really worked hard for that money and have sensible plans for investing and spending our finance, we would be very careful and frugal in spending.

In life, it is no different. Scammers concoct some idea/investment scheme that looks ‘fishy’. We don’t care. We need that money doubled in 2 days. We invest and get scammed – MMM, LOOM and others. If we had developed minds, perhaps we would have been able to ask the right questions. Avarice will always be resident in a weak mind. At this point, I must confess that unfortunately, some good ventures do turn out to be bad investments – life!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:21pm On May 18, 2019
In families, it is worse. Many children have had their fates and destinies destroyed because their parents jettisoned the use of their brains and allowed the fate and destiny of their kids to be determined by others. No parent has an excuse to fail in bringing up their kids because these kids didn’t ask to be brought into life. Responsibility thus lies on the family to ensure that every resource needed for the full development of the kids within a community are provided.

The minds of Nigerians are very weak. You see, empty and shallow minds can never be productive. Where would empathy gush out from when our minds aren’t well formed? How can we be objective with poorly formed minds? Where would innovation and creativity be generated from, if we aren’t given to thinking? We can shout about Buhari and talk about his failures and incompetence, but hey, we voted him in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:23pm On May 18, 2019
When I see professors and experts falling over themselves to patronise and massage the egos of Buhari and his cronies, I weep. I wonder why these supposed great men could all of a sudden lose their minds and dignity and stoop so low just to have an appointment. I mean, how bad can it get? What excuse will Reuben Abati give for working with the failure called Jonathan? How can he justify his decision? What will Okonjo Iweala give as reason for remaining with GEJ till the end of his tenure after witnessing massive corruptions and gross incompetence? I thought Fashola had clout, but alas, I can’t get it. Why should Fashola after a wonderful outing in Lagos, settle with the disaster called Buhari? Adewole, I thought was someone who had purpose. Alas, I am ashamed to think that he even was a VC of UI. What will he say has been his contribution to the government? These are men who excelled in their endeavours. They had developed their minds to a certain level that they had become leaders in their own right. However, when the time came for them to display that sagacity and ‘arrogance’ that comes with a sound mind, they lacked the courage to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:24pm On May 18, 2019
Of course, the youths are no different. We have failed miserably in taking responsibility for our future. See, you don’t have to be arrogant to disagree with the baby boomers. No, you don’t have to believe that without their support you don’t stand a chance at life. Jettison that belief that these baby boomers hold sway over your life. They don’t. You alone are the only one to determine how your life goes. See, I’m in academics and I get to suffer for my style of confrontation. You know what, if one journal rejects my idea (academic censorship via peer review), I just go elsewhere. I laugh when I see senior colleagues trying to advise me on how to develop my career – I did a first degree with a first class, went on to do a master’s with a distinction and a PhD under 18 months and yet someone somewhere thinks he has some significant input to make into my life? I have a publication list that makes my senior colleagues green with anger over my “headiness”. In fact, my publication list can guarantee me an AP/reader position with no qualms. Look, it’s not pride or arrogance but understanding that peoples opinion about how to progress your life does not matter. Of course, no one knows it all, but if you have been able to achieve anything interesting with your life (career, marriage, a job or business, anything) that you are very proud of, then you are capable of determining how your life goes. They may even draw your attention to other folks who have done something better. Always remind them that you are only in competition with yourself. Your drive every day is to be better than yourself yesterday. See this excerpt from J Cole’s song – pass me by.

My middle finger to the law, bustin’ off tryin’ to touch the sky
My teacher said, “impossible”, but I’mma fuckin’ try
Plus how he gon’ tell me, he don’t make the rules

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:24pm On May 18, 2019
The Nigerian nation has thrived on a culture of bullying. Younger folks cannot question or criticise the elder ones because the elder ones are always right. The nonsense culture has now metamorphosed into an entitlement mentality as routinely displayed by these buffoons in public gathering – think constituted authority. You see religious clerics who feel they can’t be questioned because they read the bible or pray or can join two words together to tell me about Moses. This attitude of bullying and non-recognition of the opinions of youths is what has led to lost values today. Youths today now believe that they can only be heard when they have money or wield some influence. The rising cases of advanced fee fraud, rituals, stealing, drug courier etc. among youths is tied largely to their desire to be recognised.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:25pm On May 18, 2019
We need to rethink our value system as a nation. However, while there is the growing need for the baby boomers to begin incorporating youths into leadership structures across the country, responsibility is placed on youths to also be astute repositories of knowledge in their core areas. If we as youths cannot be adequately equipped knowledge-wise in driving a vision within a sector then we lack the moral grounding to blame the baby boomers if they neglect us during such appointments. Additionally, the selection of representativeness must be based on intellectual prowess as evidently displayed by our success and progression in our respective careers. People who can sweet-talk have been routinely found to be incapable of contributing to any meaningful development. That youth that has through hard work and discipline scaled his business from 1 kiosk to 2 shops is a better leader than Fela Durotoye who is not known for anything! That lady who has increased the number of staffers in her salon from 2 to 5 in one year is a better manager of resources than Sowore whose only claim to leadership is being a former aluta leader.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by Chukwuka16: 3:25pm On May 18, 2019
Listen, na from clapping people take dey enter dance floor. The child of yesterday is getting married today. Tomorrow sir, you would be a father and by next week you would be carrying your grand kids. By month ending, you are bidding life farewell. It all happens like a flash of light. Start today to begin developing capacities that when pooled with others can galvanise a revolution in this country. Never allow yourself to be a willing tool in the hands of others for destructive purposes. Always stand for what is right and vigorously defend it. Don’t allow your fear of tomorrow or survival turn you into a lackey or sycophant.

As I conclude, I must tell you that you need not have everyone believe in you. However, be reminded that if you do just one thing better than anyone else, even if you make your house in the bush, the world will make a beaten path to your doorsteps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galvanising A Nation For Revolution: Rethinking Values by NigPatriot(m): 12:01am On Jun 11, 2019
This really inspired me, you really have depth, remarkable acumen. is there any way we can keep in touch?

(1) (Reply)

First Deputy Governor In The Core North - Hadiza Balarabe PHOTOS / BREAKING: What Buhari Said In Saudi Arabia On Saturday / Here Are New Evidences To Confirms Islamization Agenda Of Buhari - CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.