Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,955 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Vincent Kompany Leaves Manchester City, to Become Player-Manager at Anderlecht. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vincent Kompany Leaves Manchester City, to Become Player-Manager at Anderlecht. (510 Views)

Vincent Kompany's Burnley Promoted To The Premier League / Vincent Kompany Has Been Appointed As New Manager Of Burnley / Vincent Kompany Leaves Man City After 11 Years To Join Anderlecht (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vincent Kompany Leaves Manchester City, to Become Player-Manager at Anderlecht. by whytediamond(m): 12:02pm On May 19, 2019
Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City to become player-manager at former club Anderlecht.

The 33-year-old defender has signed a three-year deal with the Belgian club, where he scored five goals in 73 appearances between 2003 to 2006.

Earlier on Sunday, Kompany said Saturday's 6-0 FA Cup final win over Watford was his final game for City.

He won four Premier League titles, two FA Cups and four League Cups in 11 years at Etihad Stadium.

"It's the most passionate yet rational decision I've ever made," Kompany, who first joined Anderlecht at the age of six, said in an open letter on Facebook.

"I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations.

"With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium."

In the first part of his open letter, Belgium international Kompany said leaving City "doesn't feel real".

"Countless of times have I imagined this day," he said. "After all, the end has felt nearby for so many years.

"Man City has given me everything. I've tried to give back as much as I possibly could."

'The time has come to go'
Centre-back Kompany joined City from Hamburg as a defensive midfielder in 2008 and was named club captain three years later.

He scored his final goal against Leicester on 6 May, a brilliant strike from 25 yards that was voted goal of the season on BBC Match of the Day.

That win took City to within one win of the Premier League title, which they sealed on the final day of the season with victory at Brighton.

"The time has come for me to go now," Kompany said.

"As overwhelming as it is, I feel nothing but gratefulness. I am grateful to all those who supported me on a special journey, at a very special club.

"I remember the first day, as clear as I see the last. I remember the boundless kindness I received from the people of Manchester.

"I will never forget how all Man City supporters remained loyal to me in good times and especially bad times. Against the odds, you have always backed me and inspired me to never give up."

City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "There have been many important contributors to Manchester City's renaissance, but arguably none are more important than Vincent Kompany.

"He defines the essence of the club. For a decade he has been the lifeblood, the soul, and beating heart of a supremely talented squad.

"A booming voice in the dressing room yet a quiet and measured ambassador off it, Vincent can be as proud of himself as we are of him."

Source:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48325845

Re: Vincent Kompany Leaves Manchester City, to Become Player-Manager at Anderlecht. by EngrMcDon(m): 12:03pm On May 19, 2019
Safe Journey, Time to accept new challenge

1 Like

Re: Vincent Kompany Leaves Manchester City, to Become Player-Manager at Anderlecht. by whytediamond(m): 12:09pm On May 19, 2019
EngrMcDon:
Safe Journey, Time to accept new challenge

Yeah, dude paid his dues as a player, hope he goes on to achieve even better as a Manager.

(1) (Reply)

By What Means Can Solskjaer Fix Man United? Stage 1: Don't Rehash The Previous S / UPDATE!!SURE TIP OF THE DAY" thurs 30 ( 5 DAYS STRAIGHT WIN), loaded / Try This BASKETBALL Booked Games. 10-odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.