Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Using Less Plastic - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Using Less Plastic (260 Views)

Plastic Kettles "Mysteriously Coming Out From A Tree Being Cut Down" In A Mosque / Where Can I Get Plastic Chairs And Tables Distributors In Nigeria / Legrand Distribution Clearance Sales!! Plastic And Metal Enclosures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Using Less Plastic by Nobody: 6:25am On May 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I decided to write about this because since I have been on this platform,I have not come across any post that is drawing attention to the current plastic crises.

I am wondering if we are aware that over 8 million metric tonnes of plastic waste enter our oceans and rivers every year?Do you know that this adds to the 150 million metric tonnes already floating around?

To take you back a little....do you know that prior to the 1950s the world was not using plastic at all?Things came in cans and bottles.In roughly 60 years we have emptied plastic waste the size of Lagos into the oceans and water ways....and at the rate this is going,we will soon not be seeing the blue in the ocean but a floating infinite mass of plastic.

Now why should you be worried?First plastic does not decay,at least not for 400 years or so.It just keeps existing,although the weather conditions will break into pieces,which is where the real tragedy begins

Marine animals cannot tell the difference between bits of plastic and smaller animals they eat.We are already overfishing them...and now they have plastic to contend with.What will happen to you if you fill your stomach with poisonous and undisgestible materials?I am sure you can guess the answer!Lots of animals have been washed up the shore dead with their stomachs full of plastic.

And you know what?Our stomachs are getting it too.We eat the fish that eats the small bits of plastic(called micro plastic)and the plastic leeches into our own bodies.Ever wondered why the cancer rate has exploded in the last 50 years?

So what can we do?

There is a saying that the earth will be destroyed because we are all waiting for someone else to save it

Fact is

We are the only people that can save this world.Save it for our selves and the coming generations.

I urge the youths to start the change.We are the ones that will live on this damaged planet and breath the contaminated air
This last generation of boomers destroyed the world but we can try to do the little we can to stop further destruction.

Little changes from so many can lead to major results.

Stop using plastic.Especially the single use types.

I had to buy a food flask for the few times I go the fast food joints.It was funny at first but I am the one laughing last
I dont pay for the takeaway pack and I get to control my food intake because the flask is smaller.I also get to save the planet.

Reuse your plastic bags for shopping.

It saddens me when i go to shop rite or other shops and see people buying 20 little things in 20 bags.This is completely wasteful and shameful.It is not a sign of affluence.
Reuse the bags.Reduce the use.One bag can contain a lot.

Shun single use plastic.By single use I mean the ones you use once and throw away..

But like I mentioned before,there is really no 'away'.

It will come back to haunt us.

I hope this piece can change someone's attitude towards the use of plastic today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Using Less Plastic by Nobody: 6:29am On May 20, 2019
TheWrita:
Hello Everyone,

I decided to write about this because since I have been on this platform,I have not come across any post that is drawing attention to the current plastic crises.

I am wondering if we are away that over 8 million metric tonnes of plastic waste enter our oceans and rivers every year?Do you know that this adds to the million metric tonnes already floating around?

To take you back a little....do you know that prior to the 1950s the world was not using plastic at all?Things came in cand and bottles.In roughly 60 years we have emptied plastic waste the size of Lagos into the oceans and water ways....and at the rate this is going,we will soon not be seeing the blue in the ocean but a floating infinite mass of plastic.

Now why should you be worried?First plastic does not decay,at least not for 400 years or so.It just keeps existing,although the weather will break into pieces,which is where the real tragedy begins

Marine animals cannot tell the difference between bits of plastic and smaller animals they eat.We are already overfishing them...and now they have plastic to contend with.What will happen to you if you feel your stomach with poisonous and undisgestible materials?I am sure you can guess the answer!Lots of animals have been washed up the shore dead with their stomachs full of plastic.

And you know what?Our stomachs are getting it too.We eat the fish that eats the small bits of plastic(called micro plastic)and the plastic leeches into our own bodies.Ever wondered why the cancer rate has exploded in the last 50 years?

So what can we do?

There is a saying that the earth will be destroyed because we are all waiting for someone else to save it

Fact is

We are the only people that can save this world.Save it for our selves and the coming generations.

I urge the youths to start the change.We are the ones that will live on this damaged planet and breath the contaminated air
This last generation of boomers destroyed the world but we can try to do the little we can to stop further destruction.

Little changes from so many can lead to major results.

Stop using plastic.Especially the single use types.

I had to buy a food flask for the few times I go the fast food joints.It was funny at first but I.am the one laughing last
I dont pay for the takeaway pack and I get to control my food intake because the flask is.smaller.I also get to save the planet.

Reuse your plastic bags for shopping

It saddens me when i go to shop rite or other shops and see people buying 20 little things in 20 bags.This is completely wasteful and shameful.It is not a sign of affluence.
Reuse the bags.Reduce the use.One bag can contain a lot.

Shun single use plastic.By single use I mean the ones you use once and throw away..

But like I mentioned before,there is really no 'away'.

It will come back to haunt us.

I hope this piece can change someone's attitude towards the use of plastic today.
Kindly forgive any typos you encounter.I guess the auto correct thing is real.

(1) (Reply)

RIP Kennedy Ovabore / Palm Oil Vs Vegetable Oil / What A World We Live In...!! Another Graduate Killed In Kogi State University (P

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.