Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

The 7-star Graduate Series (What Every Fresh Graduate Should Know) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The 7-star Graduate Series (What Every Fresh Graduate Should Know) (285 Views)

Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate / As A Fresh Graduate Is Relocating To Canada For Msc Better Than Getting A Job / What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 7-star Graduate Series (What Every Fresh Graduate Should Know) by WestfieldConsNG: 10:43am On May 22, 2019
The 7-Star Graduate Series (What Every Fresh Graduate should know)

Whenever I interview fresh graduates and they ask for 200k as net salary, I laugh in my mind.
Don’t get me wrong, you can’t put a value to human life, but you can value what anyone will contribute.

What value can a fresh graduate add to an average SME?

SMEs are the highest employers of labour, so any employability program must tailor its content towards servicing the them.

What value can you add? SMEs practically have to teach them how to write emails, prepare reports, communicate, deal with customers, research, design PowerPoint etc.
You practically have to train an employee before they add any value. Then, it is not sure that they will add meaningful value at the end of the day.

I want to advice young people today. While you are in school, aim to build yourself to add value.
Ask yourself this question, what value will I add? Your degree will thrill your parents and family, but incompetence will disturb your employer or recruiters.

Your parents won’t pay your bills, your work will. So ask yourself again, what value will I add?

Take a piece of paper, write this question down; What Value Will I Add when I finish school?

These are basic things you have to sort;

1. Communication skills: Proposal writing, interpersonal communication, body language reading.

2. Tools: Microsoft office tools like PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Basic computer appreciation.

3. Project Management and Self Leadership

4. Business Writing and Vocabulary Development.

5. Understanding trends in technology, politics, and economy and business models.

You can design a program to learn these things. You can learn them during your holidays. Stop wasting your holidays.
Finally, when you finish school, chase opportunities and not meal tickets.

You can join an organization that pays 100k and be worth 500k in 2 years. You can also join an organization that pays 200k today and be worth 200k in 3years.

You can not compare an opportunity to audit 30 companies a year to an opportunity to send emails and process client details.
An opportunity to be part of project that delivers 1billion Naira is different from managing twenty 1 million Naira projects.
I will share more in due time.

I wish you be part of a great and talented workforce in this country.
Warm Regards.

Westfield Consulting

Cc lalasticala
cc CrazyMan
cc 1forall

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

If You Want To Fire Your Boss By Next Month Then Read This Post ASAP!!! / Very Urgent Vacancy / Business Opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.