Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership (18320 Views)

’Emilokan’: Idris Wase Declares For House Of Reps Speakership / Reps speakership: 195 members-elect adopt Bago - Vanguard / Reps’ Speakership: Emeka Nwajiuba’s Emergence Upsets Gbajabiamila’s Ride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by goaldynboy: 2:20pm On May 23, 2019
GoodGrace:
[s]Nigerians need to be better educated. Let's assume that there is a case of $25k involving Gbaja and someone else in the US. Has he been convicted? No! Is the client a party to this suit? Another no! So on what grounds is he to be disqualified?

The first step is that the client in question needs to seek legal redress and explore options in Nigeria. What's the locus standi of the people seeking to disqualify him? Are they beneficiaries to the estate of the client? It appears that this is not the case! What a waste of judicial time.

That being said, I could not care less for his person or his ambitions. [/s]

Nonsense!!

So you cant read where it was stated in the post that Gbaja was convicted and the names of judges that sat on the case were stated?! You didnt also read where it was stated that he absconded without paying the judgment debt?!!

Gbaja is gone as far as speakership is concerned!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 23, 2019
aolawale025:
This is a good case. Ex convicts should have no place in politics

Nigerians should act in an enlightened and timely way. No point shouting after the horse has bolted.

Being convicted of a crime does not stop you from contesting office in Nigeria, even office of the president. The law says you must not have been convicted of a crime in the last 10 years.

Those who are going to court are challenging his election as speaker and they will fail because the 10 years since his conviction has since lapsed.

The time to have challenged Gbaja was in 2003, 2007,2011.... Unless you can show a conviction after 2009, it is now too late!!!

section 66 (1) (d)

No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

"(d) within a period of less than 10 years before the date of an election to a legislative house, he has been convicted and sentenced for an offence involving dishonesty or he has been found guilty of a contravention of the Code of Conduct; "

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by SaintLucia: 3:20pm On May 23, 2019
helinues:

While you guys are good at electing credible candidates like Ikpeazu
No they are good in worshipping IBORI.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 23, 2019
Furthermore this case has already been determined in 2015 where he was represented by Falana

https://punchng.com/falanas-law-firm-sues-gbajabiamila-for-unpaid-n20m-professional-fee/

I am not a fan of Gbaja but this case is dead on arrival
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 23, 2019
SaintLucia:
No they are good in worshipping IBORI.

we are a nation of crooks run by crooks for crooks. The people are crooks, the police are crooks, the accusers are crooks, the prosecutors are crooks, the lawyers are crooks, the judges are crooks.

when you hear someone accusing someone else of crminality in Nigeria it is because his own crooks have been denied their opportunity to steal.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by SaintLucia: 3:25pm On May 23, 2019
Peacemaker5129:
Pictures or idonbilifit

Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by 5starMan: 4:59pm On May 23, 2019
Those who shouted crucify him crucify him on Onoghen's case are defending Gbaja just because of party and ethnicity;and you think Nigeria will ever be great?...Both cases are still in court,we should wait for the final outcome but nooo,we are hypocrites.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Gforce2019: 5:22pm On May 23, 2019
aolawale025:
This is a good case. Ex convicts should have no place in politics

There are so many ex-convict political leaders e.g Obasanjo... Buhari, Atiku, etc.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 23, 2019
5starMan:
Those who shouted crucify him crucify him on Onoghen's case are defending Gbaja just because of party and ethnicity;and you think Nigeria will ever be great?...Both cases are still in court,we should wait for the final outcome but nooo,we are hypocrites.

I have not read anyone defend Gbaja. I personally have said I am no fan of gbaja but i stated that from a legal point of view this case is DOA. 1) because his crime is over 10 years 2) because someone else took the matter to court in 2015 and Falana won the case for Gbaja. Gbaja is a crook, he himself has admitted the charge and refunded the money and served his sentence (3 yr ban) he cant deny it the problem is that this is 2019 and under the constitution, ex criminals are allowed to run for office if their offence is over 10 years. This is not sentiment, this is the law!!

let me make one thing clear to you whether APC or PDP all these people are crooks. This is a case of whether you have evidence or legal basis to convict. None of them is clean... Onnoghen, Ibori, Tinubu, GEJ, Gbaja, Ambode, Fashola, Oshiomole, OBJ, Atiku, Saraki etc etc.......take your pick in ANY party. Like Sanusi said, it takes a certain character to be involved in Nigerian politics now.

The real stupid man is the one taking sides with criminals and his oppressors and looters on the basis or ethnicity/ religion or party

1 Like

Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by 5starMan: 7:27pm On May 23, 2019
isthatso:

I have not read anyone defend Gbaja. I personally have said I am no fan of gbaja but i stated that from a legal point of view this case is DOA. 1) because his crime is over 10 years 2) because someone else took the matter to court in 2015 and Falana won the case for Gbaja. Gbaja is a crook, he himself has admitted the charge and refunded the money and served his sentence (3 yr ban) he cant deny it the problem is that this is 2019 and under the constitution, ex criminals are allowed to run for office if their offence is over 10 years. This is not sentiment, this is the law!!

let me make one thing clear to you whether APC or PDP all these people are crooks. This is a case of whether you have evidence or legal basis to convict. None of them is clean... Onnoghen, Ibori, Tinubu, GEJ, Gbaja, Ambode, Fashola, Oshiomole, OBJ, Atiku, Saraki etc etc.......take your pick in ANY party. Like Sanusi said, it takes a certain character to be involved in Nigerian politics now.

The real stupid man is the one taking sides with criminals and his oppressors and looters on the basis or ethnicity/ religion or party
this has always been my stand point but it is only the foolish that support these guys/crooks based on sentiments
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 23, 2019
5starMan:
this has always been my stand point but it is only the foolish that support these guys/crooks based on sentiments

Anybody living in Nigeria that is still basing his thinking and positions on religion, ethnic and political party affiliations deserves whatever he is getting from the country. From my observations on nairaland over the years, these sentiments are entrenched and efforts to appeal to logic and common sense is wasted. They are a product of a deliberate system that has conditioned them to think that way, so their oppressors can perpertuate themselves in power.

Politics, tribe, Religion defy common sense and you will rarely find other areas in the affairs of man where the oppressed continue to defend and fight for their oppressors. You cannot win, the brainwash is bigger than your common sense.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by 5starMan: 7:49pm On May 23, 2019
isthatso:

Anybody living in Nigeria that is still basing his thinking and positions on religion, ethnic and political party affiliations deserves whatever he is getting from the country. From my observations on nairaland over the years, these sentiments are entrenched and efforts to appeal to logic and common sense is wasted. They are a product of a deliberate system that has conditioned them to think that way, so their oppressors can perpertuate themselves in power.

Politics, tribe, Religion defy common sense and you will rarely find other areas in the affairs of man where the oppressed continue to defend and fight for their oppressors. You cannot win, the brainwash is bigger than your common sense.
unfortunately this is the thought of less than 1% of Nigerians...
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 23, 2019
5starMan:
unfortunately this is the thought of less than 1% of Nigerians...

and this is the problem with democracy, the stupid also get to vote and with it determine the fate of the few who are inclined to think.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Belleful: 8:29pm On May 23, 2019
“A certified true copy of the judgement of Supreme Court of Georgia to that effect issued by Theresa Tee Barnes, Clerk of the said Supreme Court of Georgia, on 12th day of June, 2015.
so this man have kept the judgement papers since 2015, waiting for the right time to strike. it is either he is being sponsor by femi's enemies or he his looking for a handsome reward from femi.
Re: Court Asked To Bar Gbajiagbmila From Contesting Reps Speakership by Fixedmaches1129: 9:49pm On May 23, 2019
See below

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Meets With Victor Umeh At A Prominent Funeral In Anambra. Photos / Segalinks To Abdulmumin Jibrin: "Your Lawyers Have Been Served" / Forgery: FG Dumps Fresh Police Probe Indicting Saraki, Deputy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.